Thank you Jameis Winston

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Thank you Jameis Winston

Postby BUCCABEER » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 pm

It's unlikely you will ever read this, but on the small chance you do, here goes in Late Night fashion:

Thank You Jameis Winston for being a bright spot for 2015 Bucs
Thank You Jameis Winston for improving in virtually each game you have played
Thank you Jameis Winston for giving us a legitimate ability to strectch the field
Thank you Jameis Winston for your ability to lead a football team as a Rookie
Thank you Jameis Winston for your toughness, willingness to sacrifice body for the sake of the team
Thank you Jameis Winston for putting up with dropped balls
Thank you Jameis Winston for your football knowledge
Thank you Jameis Winston for being our QB - you are the best QB we have had since Brad Johnson
BUCCABEER

Re: Thank you Jameis Winston

Postby tampabay4eva » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:38 pm

He is the only player on the Bucs who I believe in right now.
tampabay4eva

Postby Caballero » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Winston played ok. But the Bucs would have won that game today if they had Mariota instead of Winston. Did you guys see Mariota slice up the Saints today? Amazing game.
Caballero

Postby BUCCABEER » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Caballero wrote:Winston played ok. But the Bucs would have won that game today if they had Mariota instead of Winston. Did you guys see Mariota slice up the Saints today? Amazing game.

Whether you feel that way or not, Jameis is our QB, so you might as well get onboard with that and appreciate what he's doing or go be a Titans fan and enjoy that prospect.
BUCCABEER

Postby HamBone » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:48 pm

BUCCABEER wrote:
Caballero wrote:Winston played ok. But the Bucs would have won that game today if they had Mariota instead of Winston. Did you guys see Mariota slice up the Saints today? Amazing game.

Whether you feel that way or not, Jameis is our QB, so you might as well get onboard with that and appreciate what he's doing or go be a Titans fan and enjoy that prospect.

He's trolling...no need tp reply to his posts.
HamBone

Postby Cheb » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:04 am

I am on record as preferring Mariota over Winston prior to their draft. But our team made their pick, so he's my guy now. Stop crying over could haves.

I am happy with the selection we've made. Winston is a grinder who isn't afraid to make bold decisions. Sometimes it backfires, but as Gruden would say, the guy has juice in spades. I am optimistic about the direction this team is headed so long as Winston is under center.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:02 am

I'm loving pretty much everything I'm seeing from Winston right now.

All things considered, I don't think we could ask for more from him than what he's doing right now.

Sucks we lost but he was great again and he looks every bit the part of a franchise QB.

Hopefully he can continue his ascent.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:00 am

Cheb wrote:I am on record as preferring Mariota over Winston prior to their draft. But our team made their pick, so he's my guy now. Stop crying over could haves.

I am happy with the selection we've made. Winston is a grinder who isn't afraid to make bold decisions. Sometimes it backfires, but as Gruden would say, the guy has juice in spades. I am optimistic about the direction this team is headed so long as Winston is under center.

Agreed, except that I was in the pro-WInston heading up to the draft.

However, it is worth noting that Winston has as many TD's under his belt as Mariota and only 2 more picks. He also takes less sacks and hits the long ball more often. Lastly, the buzz about his intangibles and leadership seem to be more than just predraft hyperbole. Every game has had a moment where he's been on the sideline doing whatever he has to to keep the team rightside up. Today is was after Spence's bonehead penalty, when Spence was standing alone and stewing it was WInston who went over to him to try and get his head right.
terrytate

Postby RedLeader » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:25 am

terrytate wrote:
Cheb wrote:I am on record as preferring Mariota over Winston prior to their draft. But our team made their pick, so he's my guy now. Stop crying over could haves.

Agreed, except that I was in the pro-WInston heading up to the draft.

However, it is worth noting that Winston has as many TD's under his belt as Mariota and only 2 more picks. He also takes less sacks and hits the long ball more often. Lastly, the buzz about his intangibles and leadership seem to be more than just predraft hyperbole. Every game has had a moment where he's been on the sideline doing whatever he has to to keep the team rightside up. Today is was after Spence's bonehead penalty, when Spence was standing alone and stewing it was WInston who went over to him to try and get his head right.

Yup. The guy is a leader, no doubt.
RedLeader

Postby EnochRoot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:09 am

You guys need to get your head out of Winston's lap and learn how to expect more.

He was the #1 pick in the freaking draft. His completion percentage entering the game yesterday left *A LOT* to be desired.

Meanwhile, despite taking a shot to his knee last month and having it cost him multiple games, Mariota *AGAIN* absolutely dissected a team. Something Winston's not done yet at all, despite having far more talented receivers on his roster. All the knocks on Mariota haven't panned out in the slightest, and how Winston was the better QB hasn't either.

Winston hasn't sucked. He's performed admirably for the #1 pick of the draft given the reigns to an offense immediately..But he's not showing me anything that suggests he's the second coming, either.
"I'd rather live with a good question than a bad answer."

Aryeh A. Frimer
EnochRoot

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:37 am

One does have to wonder why Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge are out producing. I do hope he has been somewhat held back.
mdb1958

Postby Commander Bubbles » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:55 am

EnochRoot wrote:You guys need to get your head out of Winston's lap and learn how to expect more.

He was the #1 pick in the freaking draft. His completion percentage entering the game yesterday left *A LOT* to be desired.

Meanwhile, despite taking a shot to his knee last month and having it cost him multiple games, Mariota *AGAIN* absolutely dissected a team. Something Winston's not done yet at all, despite having far more talented receivers on his roster. All the knocks on Mariota haven't panned out in the slightest, and how Winston was the better QB hasn't either.

Winston hasn't sucked. He's performed admirably for the #1 pick of the draft given the reigns to an offense immediately..But he's not showing me anything that suggests he's the second coming, either.

No rookie QB looks like "the second coming".

The Saints defense is pretty bad.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Buc2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:11 am

So is this the name you're sticking with, Java?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby terrytate » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:11 am

EnochRoot wrote:

You may not realize this, but the 92 drops by Evans might have something to do with this.

Watch the games instead of the Fantasy Football scores, ya ponce.
terrytate

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:36 am

BUCCABEER wrote:It's unlikely you will ever read this, but on the small chance you do, here goes in Late Night fashion:

The drops have been REALLY bad especially in this game. In the Houston game it was very bad also.

So it got me thinking about what Wiston's numbers would look like now if the drops on the season were cut in half.

So what do you guys think his season stats would be if the drops were cut in half for the season?
bahamian:bucfan

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:49 pm

terrytate wrote:However, it is worth noting that Winston has as many TD's under his belt as Mariota and only 2 more picks.

Probably worth noting that Mary has played 2 less games than Winston.

terrytate wrote: Every game has had a moment where he's been on the sideline doing whatever he has to to keep the team rightside up. Today is was after Spence's bonehead penalty, when Spence was standing alone and stewing it was WInston who went over to him to try and get his head right.

LOL. I never get tired of the "leadership" angle......

I think the Bucs are GREAT!
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:52 pm

bahamian:bucfan wrote:
BUCCABEER wrote:It's unlikely you will ever read this, but on the small chance you do, here goes in Late Night fashion:

The drops have been REALLY bad especially in this game. In the Houston game it was very bad also.

So it got me thinking about what Wiston's numbers would look like now if the drops on the season were cut in half.

So what do you guys think his season stats would be if the drops were cut in half for the season?

All QBs suffer through drops, not like it's something that we alone experience.

Instead of crying about something that's part of the game how about we start finishing these drives?

How about we quit trying to win games by relying on FG's?

Big arm is great but if you can't control it as the field shrinks what good is it?
Patrick McIrish

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Patty you're kind of making it clear that you didn't watch the game yesterday.
Bootz2004

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Jameis Winston thoroughly impressed me yesterday. He has improved week by week. And that's all you can ask for out of your rookie QB. Despite all of the Evans drops, the fumbles by the RBs, the stupid penalties, Winston was a constant yesterday. He showed his leadership tremendously. He could've easily gotten frustrated with Evans and blamed him, but he didn't. Now, I hope he had some stern words for Evans behind closed doors, but the QB can't throw his WRs or OL under the bus, and Jameis hasn't. He also showed tremendous leadership by going over and addressing Spence's screwup. That wasn't even his job to do that, but he did it.

Ever since we've drafted Winston, I've had his back & supported him (while also criticizing when deserved), but yesterday he made me a true believer. Nothing went right around him yesterday, yet he kept hanging in there and making the right reads and right throws.

If the Bucs want to clean house, rid themselves of losing attitudes from certain players, and build around guys like Winston, Marpet, D. Smith and Alexander, I'd be fine with that. It's unreal that our best players & leaders this year have been rookies. I just hope they keep it up.
pewterpirates

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Patty you're kind of making it clear that you didn't watch the game yesterday.

I didn't mention the game, it's bonus Monday and I'm providing a season overview for those interested.

Drops? Quit crying, they happen to everyone. So do great catches and lucky bounces that helps a QB numbers.

As for finishing drives, I mentioned this about 3 weeks ago and it continues to be a problem.

The accuracy just isn't there yet.
Patrick McIrish

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Jameis Winston is the absolute LAST concern the team has right now.
real bucs fan

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:00 pm

If I do have one concern about Winston from yesterday, it's his accuracy in the red zone. It seems to just go away once we're inside the 15 or so. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the red zone yesterday. People give him a pass for the 2 point conversion b/c he had to loft it over a LB, but it was still a bad pass. He's gotta be a little more consistent with his accuracy in the red zone.
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Patty you're kind of making it clear that you didn't watch the game yesterday.

I didn't mention the game, it's bonus Monday and I'm providing a season overview for those interested.

Drops? Quit crying, they happen to everyone. So do great catches and lucky bounces that helps a QB numbers.

As for finishing drives, I mentioned this about 3 weeks ago and it continues to be a problem.

You didn't mention the game because you obviously didn't watch it. Hard to finish drives when WRs drop passes that bound off the palms of their hands on 3rd down.
Bootz2004

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Ironically every one is coming around to my point of view, they just don't realize it.

I said in the off-season we'll end up bitching about the OL, the defense, STs, WRs and so on. The new QB will do his job but everyone else will let him down.

Bingo. I just read the game thread, exactly what they're harping on.

In short? We had a lot of areas to improve upon. A lot of areas we could have addressed (in addition to the picks we already had) instead of taking a QB prematurely.

Gave 100 examples of why it's dangerous and how you can fall into a lifetime of medicority if not careful.

Guess where we are? Impressed with the "upgrade" from Glennon yet crying about the rest of the team.

Need I say more?
Patrick McIrish

Postby Buc2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Ah. I see PMI dropped a few lines.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Patrick McIrish wrote:

You didn't mention the game because you obviously didn't watch it. Hard to finish drives when WRs drop passes that bound off the palms of their hands on 3rd down.

Yeah, that doesn't happen to anyone but us......
Patrick McIrish

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:05 pm

pewterpirates wrote:If I do have one concern about Winston from yesterday, it's his accuracy in the red zone. It seems to just go away once we're inside the 15 or so. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the red zone yesterday. People give him a pass for the 2 point conversion b/c he had to loft it over a LB, but it was still a bad pass. He's gotta be a little more consistent with his accuracy in the red zone.

While I agree with this, I think a big part of that is that it has been beaten into his head not to turn the ball over, ESPECIALLY in the red zone. All of the miss throws seem to be a result of being extra cautious that a defender can't pick it off. As the coaching staff gets more confident in him, they gotta start allowing him to force some throws in there to make a play.

On the plus side, he's doing a heck of a job using his feet in the red zone. He's really leaned down and looks like the athlete that he was when he came out of high school. Teams are dropping back and not giving him windows to throw in, but he's making them pay with his feet.
real bucs fan

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:05 pm

pewterpirates wrote:If I do have one concern about Winston from yesterday, it's his accuracy in the red zone. It seems to just go away once we're inside the 15 or so. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the red zone yesterday. People give him a pass for the 2 point conversion b/c he had to loft it over a LB, but it was still a bad pass. He's gotta be a little more consistent with his accuracy in the red zone.

Did you even watch the game yesterday?

Bootz
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:06 pm

Buc2 wrote:Ah. I see PMI dropped a few lines.

If you get the balls and want to be specific then bring it on....

If not, stay on the beach where it's safe with the "troll alert" crowd.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Buc2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Ah. I see PMI dropped a few lines.

If you get the balls and want to be specific then bring it on....

If not, stay on the beach where it's safe with the "troll alert" crowd.

I'm good sitting on the beach. Troll away. After all, it's common sense that Evans drops are happening because he doesn't like Winston and doesn't want to play for him. How could anyone not see that?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Next

Return to Team Discussions