Gov't spending | National Debt

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Gov't spending | National Debt

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:00 am

(figured it could use its own thread)

Less than 48 hours after the CBO just released its figure that the deficit is going to be about a quarter of a TRILLION dollars more than they thought (because of a 7% increase in spending and only a 1% increase in gov't revenue), a new $150 Billion bill just passed.

The house voted 377 - 20, the Senate voted 92 - 5.

YAY BIPARTISANSHIP!!!!

What makes this even worse is that two more additional spending bills are going to be voted on the coming weeks.

What the **** is wrong with these people?
Zarniwoop

Re: Gov't spending | National Debt

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:06 am

Zarniwoop wrote:(figured it could use its own thread)

Less than 48 hours after the CBO just released its figure that the deficit is going to be about a quarter of a TRILLION dollars more than they thought (because of a 7% increase in spending and only a 1% increase in gov't revenue), a new $150 Billion bill just passed.

The house voted 377 - 20, the Senate voted 92 - 5.

YAY BIPARTISANSHIP!!!!

What makes this even worse is that two more additional spending bills are going to be voted on the coming weeks.

What the **** is wrong with these people?

These bills get bipartisan support b/c they fund programs that each side supports.

If they vote against spending bills it's used against them. "Candidate so and so voted NO on issue X".

The **** is rigged so money is spent to where the ONLY thing everyone agrees on is to spend more money.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am

Companies don't put all that money into lobbying expecting no return...
bucfanclw

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:47 am

I remember the moment I realized that our government actually has no plan to tackle our national debt. It was maybe 8 years ago, I was riding in the car with my dad talking about politics, etc... the details are unimportant... but man, what a perspective-shifting moment. I was maybe around 22 at the time. Unsure about my future. Unsure about my place in the world. Unsure about what it meant to be an "adult". Then to realize that the "adults" running the most powerful nation in the world have absolutely zero plan to pay back this astronomical mound of money - and that we're all just sort of "playing along", was a really weird thing.

On one hand it, it was sort of a comforting feeling for my 22 year old self, like "oh ****, NOBODY actually knows what the **** they're doing...hey maybe I can take advantage of that (and play ball in this world; small scale - my life)", then it was like an "oh ****, NOBODY knows what the **** they're doing... somebody is going to take advantage of that (corrupt players, china, etc; large scale - the world)"

Idk, its just a really weird, unexpected reality. I'm sure you older dudes might not see it like that, since it wasn't on this exponential growth path pre-2000's. When I had this realization, it was around 2010, and the debt had doubled in the 10 years leading up to that moment. Now, in the 10 years since, it has doubled again, and there really doesn't seem like any reason to believe this is going to stop. And I'm still not really sure what the implications are... and I don't think I'm alone
Last edited by beardmcdoug on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
beardmcdoug

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:18 am

beardmcdoug wrote:I remember the moment I realized that our government actually has no plan to tackle our national debt. It was maybe 8 years ago, I was riding in the car with my dad talking about politics, etc... the details are unimportant... but man, what a perspective-shifting moment. I was maybe around 22 at the time. Unsure about my future. Unsure about my place in the world. Unsure about what it meant to be an "adult". Then to realize that the "adults" running the most powerful nation in the world have absolutely zero plan to pay back this astronomical mount of money - and that we're all just sort of "playing along", was a really weird thing.

On one hand it, it was sort of a comforting feeling for my 22 year old self, like "oh ****, NOBODY actually knows what the **** they're doing...hey maybe I can take advantage of that (and play ball in this world; small scale - my life)", then it was like an "oh ****, NOBODY knows what the **** they're doing... somebody is going to take advantage of that (corrupt players, china, etc; large scale - the world)"

Idk, its just a really weird, unexpected reality. I'm sure you older dudes might not see it like that, since it wasn't on this exponential growth path pre-2000's. When I had this realization, it was around 2010, and the debt had doubled in the 10 years leading up to that moment. Now, in the 10 years since, it has doubled again, and there really doesn't seem like any reason to believe this is going to stop. And I'm still not really sure what the implications are... and I don't think I'm alone

It gets real scary when you start talking to a Lawyer or Doctor and you start to realize you are smart than them.
PanteraCanes

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am

What happens if the interest payments on the national debt exceed tax revenue?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 am

beardmcdoug wrote:I remember the moment I realized that our government actually has no plan to tackle our national debt. It was maybe 8 years ago, I was riding in the car with my dad talking about politics, etc... the details are unimportant... but man, what a perspective-shifting moment. I was maybe around 22 at the time. Unsure about my future. Unsure about my place in the world. Unsure about what it meant to be an "adult". Then to realize that the "adults" running the most powerful nation in the world have absolutely zero plan to pay back this astronomical mound of money - and that we're all just sort of "playing along", was a really weird thing.

The greatest growth of the debt should line right up with the United States farming everything out to the rest of the world, taking huge losses in trade etc.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:37 am

We go a million dollars farther in debt every 45 seconds!
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 am

I think China, Japan, and Ireland are the big three that we owe. Put everybody's political bs aside and I think we could put a hurtin on them pretty quick.

Just need to pass a couple of laws where all this American money isnt able to function as well outside of our borders any more.

Like I said, make em realize the big profit days are over and they just need to take less and come on home.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am

Zarni I think everyone just blanked out.
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:23 am

“This is the United States government. First of all, you never have to default because you print the money. I hate to tell you. So there’s never a default. But the point is it was reported in the New York Times incorrectly."

-Donald Trump, May 2016
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:28 am

mdb1958 wrote:Zarni I think everyone just blanked out.

I think the vast majority (but not all) think the national debt is a problem.

The disagreement however will be how to fix it. I think we have a spending problem. Lots of people though would say we have a revenue problem.
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:35 am

Clewy said it - favor buying, its the same as over spending. I think we could pressure these countries to the point where they would actually forgive debt.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:37 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Zarni I think everyone just blanked out.

The disagreement however will be how to fix it. I think we have a spending problem. Lots of people though would say we have a revenue problem.

I'm not convinced the National Debt is a problem. Not so much so as to completely dismiss the possibility that it is a problem, but given the exponential growth of the debt over the last 20+ years and the sky has not fallen, I'm starting to wonder if it really is a problem.

The above quote from the President might be one of those instances where he stumbles into being exactly right.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:38 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

I'm not convinced the National Debt is a problem. Not so much so as to completely dismiss the possibility that it is a problem, but given the exponential growth of the debt over the last 20+ years and the sky has not fallen, I'm starting to wonder if it really is a problem.

The above quote from the President might be one of those instances where he stumbles into being exactly right.

Joking, right?
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 am

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am

LOL, that takes quantitative easing to a whole new level
Zarniwoop

Postby RedLeader » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:“This is the United States government. First of all, you never have to default because you print the money. I hate to tell you. So there’s never a default. But the point is it was reported in the New York Times incorrectly."

-Donald Trump, May 2016

ooh, ooh, is this where I post a graph to show everyone how this has been trending for decades?!

Or is that just for the 'good' economic news? :roll:
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

RedLeader wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:“This is the United States government. First of all, you never have to default because you print the money. I hate to tell you. So there’s never a default. But the point is it was reported in the New York Times incorrectly."

-Donald Trump, May 2016

ooh, ooh, is this where I post a graph to show everyone how this has been trending for decades?!

Go right ahead. At least we can get a discussion going.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:49 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Japan wrote off nearly half of it's national debt
Poof. Gone.

Is that like the bank cares about Japan.
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:53 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Japan wrote off nearly half of it's national debt
Poof. Gone.

What do you mean?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

What do you mean?

Do we have a bank of the United States? Or is it called the World Bank?
mdb1958

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 pm

RedLeader wrote:

-Donald Trump, May 2016

That seems like relevant data to the discussion so let's see what you've got.
bucfanclw

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:29 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:What do you mean?

Do we have a bank of the United States? Or is it called the World Bank?

It's called the Federal Reserve.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:20 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

That seems like relevant data to the discussion so let's see what you've got.

RedLeader

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Does anybody agree with this?

The greatest growth of the debt should line right up with the United States farming everything out to the rest of the world, taking huge losses in trade etc.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:21 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Does anybody agree with this?

The greatest growth of the depth should line right up with the United States farming everything out to the rest of the world, taking huge losses in trade etc.

Do you mean debt instead of depth? That outsourcing is causing the national debt?
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Yes I mean debt. Damn ------------------ I wish you'd delete your post and start over.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:43 pm

RedLeader wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:That seems like relevant data to the discussion so let's see what you've got.

Oh. So you don't want to actually converse with the adults, you just want to sit there and cry because someone provided data that clouded your worldview in another thread? Can't say I'm shocked, but I did give you a chance.
bucfanclw

Postby RedLeader » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:53 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

Oh. So you don't want to actually converse with the adults, you just want to sit there and cry because someone provided data that clouded your worldview in another thread? Can't say I'm shocked, but I did give you a chance.

Lol. What contribution have you made in here besides licking the back of my balls?

Maybe I missed it.
RedLeader

Next

Return to Politics and Religion