Random Education News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am

bucfanclw wrote:I'm curious why mathematical paper on a subject that already has multiple studies saying Greater Male Variability exists supposedly got this treatment when other papers did not. I'm sure it's 100% political as the author asserts and has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of his paper.

muh feelings, indeed.

Except of course the paper was peer reviewed and accepted for publication
Zarniwoop

Postby RedLeader » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:18 pm

The most valuable college degree

Dovetailing the student debt crisis, the most valuable college major has become actuarial science, according to Bankrate.com. Students of insurance or risk can earn, on average, $108,658; enjoy better-than average unemployment of 2.3%; and are less likely to pursue higher studies. That’s because they hit the career track faster through certified exams they can take while still in college. The next four most remunerative college majors are:

Zoology
Nuclear engineering
Health and medical preparatory programs
Applied mathematics

Wait, Zoology??
RedLeader

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:46 pm

A low key high paying degree is Geology. I have a friend who works for Exxon making 320k.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:50 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:A low key high paying degree is Geology. I have a friend who works for Exxon making 320k.

When I was doing my PhD I took my simulation course from a geologist who worked in oil who retired at 50 with what I’m guessing was an 8 digit bank account and was teaching just to get out of the house.

Dude was insanely smart and the rare dude who had common sense and business skills too.
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 am

Zarni over the years who was in charge of the curriculum being taught in grade schools and college
mdb1958

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:19 am

mdb1958 wrote:Zarni over the years who was in charge of the curriculum being taught in grade schools and college

The state sets the curriculum for elementary schools.

Faculty do at colleges
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Zarni over the years who was in charge of the curriculum being taught in grade schools and college

The state sets the curriculum for elementary schools.

Faculty do at colleges

You teach right? Do you in any way agree with me when I say we have been educating some pitiful stuff.
mdb1958

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:44 am

Yes I’m a professor

And yes I think our education system blows, particularly K- 12.
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Yes I’m a professor

And yes I think our education system blows, particularly K- 12.

BURMMMP!

You know when they go full blown crazy.

Every day I talk to a professor of 50 or so years ------------- I cant believe how often an uneducated dummy like me has to correct her.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 am

I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure how to respond to that

:)
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:21 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure how to respond to that

:)

Nice woman, I can tell cuz she tells me I'm pretty smart. :(
mdb1958

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 am

It is pretty hit and miss when it comes to professors. Want to venture a guess on how many courses the average PhD student takes on different teaching styles, presentation styles, students different learning styles, etc.?
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 am

ONE of the problems I see is that they are pushing the kids too hard in K-12. It's not good enough to get your diploma in HS anymore. They are pushing these kids to get college credit in HS with the high achievers graduating HS with associate degrees.

Little Suzy needs to bang out Algebra 1 and Geometry for HS credit in middle school now. Kids are strung out and learning to absorb, regurgitate, and brain dump like an undergrad.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:ONE of the problems I see is that they are pushing the kids too hard in K-12. It's not good enough to get your diploma in HS anymore. They are pushing these kids to get college credit in HS with the high achievers graduating HS with associate degrees.

Little Suzy needs to bang out Algebra 1 and Geometry for HS credit in middle school now. Kids are strung out and learning to absorb, regurgitate, and brain dump like an undergrad.

If only there was a way to let each individual school develop their own curriculum for the unique needs of their student base
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:37 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:ONE of the problems I see is that they are pushing the kids too hard in K-12. It's not good enough to get your diploma in HS anymore. They are pushing these kids to get college credit in HS with the high achievers graduating HS with associate degrees.

If only there was a way to let each individual school develop their own curriculum for the unique needs of their student base

What? You don't think standardized testing works?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

What? You don't think standardized testing works?

I can't think of many things dumberer (;) then doing that to measure learning in a K-12 class.

In Texas, we tell not only script out the curriculum, we tell teachers what books they have to use...in addition to how measure learning with standardized texts (which pretty much also dictates lesson plans).

One size fits all = one size fits none

Let the suburban schools where parents expect their kids to go to college and then get an advanced degree teach one way....let poverty stricken areas where it's an accomplishment to graduate high school teach a different way with different resources and different goals. And let there be anything and everything in between.

-------

but all that requires power be stripped from bureaucrats and put in control of the localized experts...we know the chances of it.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 am

Zarniwoop wrote:

You gotta draw the line somewhere. Right now it's at the state. You push it down to county or Schoolhouse you can end up with wildly varying results from building to building. So there is a good argument to be made for both a statewide minimum standard and letting there be more flexibility.

I don't pretend to have the whole solution, but "lighten up on the kids" is part of it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PanteraCanes » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Let the suburban schools where parents expect their kids to go to college and then get an advanced degree teach one way....let poverty stricken areas where it's an accomplishment to graduate high school teach a different way with different resources and different goals. And let there be anything and everything in between.

That seems like it would devalue highschool degrees that much faster. Also it would make it so the kids in the bad areas who actually have a chance to elevate themselves are behind even more.

I always find it interesting that everything else in life having a standard and trying to meet or exceed that standard is seen as a good thing. Then when it comes to education people want to look down upon trying to make sure everyone who gets a degree meets a certain standard.
PanteraCanes

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:What? You don't think standardized testing works?

I can't think of many things dumberer (;) then doing that to measure learning in a K-12 class.

In Texas, we tell not only script out the curriculum, we tell teachers what books they have to use...in addition to how measure learning with standardized texts (which pretty much also dictates lesson plans).

One size fits all = one size fits none

Let the suburban schools where parents expect their kids to go to college and then get an advanced degree teach one way....let poverty stricken areas where it's an accomplishment to graduate high school teach a different way with different resources and different goals. And let there be anything and everything in between.

-------

but all that requires power be stripped from bureaucrats and put in control of the localized experts...we know the chances of it.

You know I was being sarcastic, right?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Buc2 wrote:You know I was being sarcastic, right?

yes, i know you were... i was posting in general though to a topic you introduced...i think you and i agree on a lot about education (as we do with lots of stuff about gov't in general)
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:I always find it interesting that everything else in life having a standard and trying to meet or exceed that standard is seen as a good thing. Then when it comes to education people want to look down upon trying to make sure everyone who gets a degree meets a certain standard.

I am not arguing against standards at all...in fact, i am arguing for much better standards. This isn't a choice between a once size fits all state standard and no standards whatsoever.

It's a choice between a one size fits all state standard and standards set by the local expert authorities (local teachers, local school boards, etc).

Private schools don't use state standards, instead use their own. Same with some charter schools and same with universities. Yet all three of those work well. They don't need gov't bureaucrats telling them what to do. They've trained all their lives to do it.

Every school should have standards that makes sense for them and their students. We trust teachers and principles to educate our kids...to watch our kids 40+ hours a week...why can't we trust them to make standards that makes sense for their school.

There is nothing more demoralizing for someone trying to be educated then having standards that aren't right for them. That applies just as much to the struggling kid in a poor urban area as it does to a rich kid who excels in school. Teachers have to teach to the middle. The kids struggling get left behind....the kids excelling aren't challenged enough. Only a few learn what they should. Everyone should be in an environment where they can learn as much as possible given their current level.

Again, one size fits all...sucks for everyone.
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

You gotta draw the line somewhere. Right now it's at the state. You push it down to county or Schoolhouse you can end up with wildly varying results from building to building. So there is a good argument to be made for both a statewide minimum standard and letting there be more flexibility.

I don't pretend to have the whole solution, but "lighten up on the kids" is part of it.

To be honest, I totally disagree with “lighten up on the kids.” If anything, public education is not nearly rigorous enough. I had high school juniors who could not name the parts of speech, basically because it isn’t state tested. But it is hard to teach critical thinking on passages of text where the students don’t even know building block level knowledge.
Ken Carson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You gotta draw the line somewhere. Right now it's at the state. You push it down to county or Schoolhouse you can end up with wildly varying results from building to building. So there is a good argument to be made for both a statewide minimum standard and letting there be more flexibility.

To be honest, I totally disagree with “lighten up on the kids.” If anything, public education is not nearly rigorous enough. I had high school juniors who could not name the parts of speech, basically because it isn’t state tested. But it is hard to teach critical thinking on passages of text where the students don’t even know building block level knowledge.

Precise reasoning as to why public education has gone to **** over the last 20 years. Pushing ever-higher standards without considering if the students were even meeting the old ones. That's a bi-partisan failure.

The current educational system has at its pinnacle a college professor. Is that the dream every parent has for their child?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:00 pm

What public schools have you been looking at tonthunk our standards are too high? And that they are geared towards creating academicians?
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:What public schools have you been looking at tonthunk our standards are too high? And that they are geared towards creating academicians?

Diploma
Associates
Bachelor's
Master's
Doctorate.

That is the academic progression from High School on up. We put students on this path with arbitrarily acceptable levels of departure. And now we insist that they do it faster. There are kids getting Bachelor's at 18 years old, other's getting associate degrees concurrently with their HS diplomas, average students are getting college credit in High School.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Very few people take that path. <1% of population

That’s like saying businesses are set up so everyone can be a CEO

We are falling behind on a world scale NOT because our expectations are too high. That’s about as ludicrous as it gets.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Very few people take that path. <1% of population

That’s like saying businesses are set up so everyone can be a CEO

We are falling behind on a world scale NOT because our expectations are too high. That’s about as ludicrous as it gets.

Okay. Why do you think we are falling behind?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 pm

I’ve spoken to this many times.

1. Parents don’t give a **** and treat school as daycare
2. One size fits all classroom approach
3. Emphasis on standardized testing
4. Comparatively shorter time in classroom to other countries
5. Teachers, staff and administrators aren’t held accountable
6. Not enough parental say into education (for the parents that do care)
7. Schools are far too rigid and bureaucratic
8. Too much administration, not enough teaching

Most of it comes down to #1 though. If you don’t have parents who value education and push their kids and motivate them and make learning fun, there’s nearly nothing a school can do (maybe one or two teachers, it not an entire K-12 system )
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I’ve spoken to this many times.

1. Parents don’t give a **** and treat school as daycare
2. One size fits all classroom approach
3. Emphasis on standardized testing
4. Comparatively shorter time in classroom to other countries
5. Teachers, staff and administrators aren’t held accountable
6. Not enough parental say into education (for the parents that do care)
7. Schools are far too rigid and bureaucratic
8. Too much administration, not enough teaching

Most of it comes down to #1 though. If you don’t have parents who value education and push their kids and motivate them and make learning fun, there’s nearly nothing a school can do (maybe one or two teachers, it not an entire K-12 system )

Oh, so parents just don't care enough.

Well, what a relief. It never occurred to me that my kids can get a 4.0 if I simply care enough to will it into existence.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:09 pm

If your kids are mostly getting As and Bs they are doing just fine. If you tell them the importance of education and participate in theirs you are doing just fine
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion