**OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2018-2019 NHL Season Thread**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
**OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2018-2019 NHL Season Thread**

Postby Alpha » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:58 am

Pre-season is about to get rolling.

Looking forward to seeing who (if any) AHL'ers make the club out of camp.

I suspect Volkov and Joseph, this year.

Take your "Get Ready" pill, kids. Over the next year or two, you're gonna see the next wave of superstars...
Alpha

Re: **OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2018-2019 NHL Season Thre

Postby Kress » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 am

Do we have Karlsson yet?
Kress

Postby Alpha » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 am

Kress wrote:Do we have Karlsson yet?

We do!

Unfortunately, it's Canute Karlsson. He was signed to our NAHL affiliate yesterday.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:58 am

I can still get the jersey though, right?
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Kress wrote:I can still get the jersey though, right?

Please forward all future jersey requests to Owetwon.

Thanks.

The mgmt.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:08 am

I guess Vegas is no longer interested in EK. You’d think with Nate Schmidt suspended for a quarter of the season they’d be motivated to get a #1 defenseman to start the year.
Brazen331

Postby Kress » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:41 am

Alpha wrote:
Kress wrote:I can still get the jersey though, right?

Please forward all future jersey requests to Owetwon.

Thanks.

The mgmt.

I saw his, but he spelled it Carl's Son. I don't even know who Carl is.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:18 am

Brazen331 wrote:I guess Vegas is no longer interested in EK. You’d think with Nate Schmidt suspended for a quarter of the season they’d be motivated to get a #1 defenseman to start the year.

THG had a nice opinion on the whole situation going on in OTT. Basically, it boils down to this (in his view):

OTT is basically resigned to the fact that they're losing EK...and IF they had their 1st round pick next year, things would play out differently but TODAY, they can't afford to lose EVEYONE. So they keep EK for the year, in the hopes of re-signing Duchene, Stone and their other FA's, NEXT year (without over-paying). Their best hope of doing that, is to be successful THIS YEAR.

OTT is also clearly not getting offers that are blowing them away. As expected...everyone knows that EK ain't staying in OTT and are gonna take their chances when/if he hits FA and not paying through their teeth to get him now.

This plays out well for us...NEXT year. We have 3 or 4 defensemen with expiring contracts at the end of the year. A good chunk is going to Kuch's new deal...but Yzerman has a way of making magic happen.

We could get him without losing a single roster player. Next year.

Even if EK is traded at the deadline this year, he isn't signing an extension at that point.

I'm a little surprised that Vegas doesn't make a strong offer. They have a TON of picks AND prospects to offer...without depleting their prospect pool. The thing working against OTT with VEG is that VEG doesn't NEED to bring EK on board. They've over-achieved BIG TIME and have all the time in the world before the fan base starts to react negatively. VEG has NO NEED to sell out for Karlsson. Neither do the Bolts, for that matter.

It'll be an interesting year in OTT, for sure.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Seems to me that the Patches trade to Vegas makes EK to TB more likely. Suzuki and that 2nd rounder would have definitely been part of the package for EK and now Vegas has less ammo to barter with.

Can’t really say who came out on top here. I hate giving up a top young prospect but Vegas did vastly improve their second line going from Neal-Haula-Perron to most likely Tuch-Stastny-Patches. That will be a pretty bad-ass second line and Vegas does have a pretty solid top 6 for a 2nd year team.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:12 am

Brazen331 wrote:Seems to me that the Patches trade to Vegas makes EK to TB more likely. Suzuki and that 2nd rounder would have definitely been part of the package for EK and now Vegas has less ammo to barter with.

Can’t really say who came out on top here. I hate giving up a top young prospect but Vegas did vastly improve their second line going from Neal-Haula-Perron to most likely Tuch-Stastny-Patches. That will be a pretty bad-ass second line and Vegas does have a pretty solid top 6 for a 2nd year team.

Vegas still has PLENTY of ammo. They aren't out of the EK sweepstakes...but they'd have to give up Glass (at this point, anyway). Again...As of NOW, OTT is going to want Sergachev, Hiskannen or Glass to make them dump EK...depending on the team. Apparently, none of the interested teams (TB/DAL/LV) are willing to part with this.

Take a look at how many draft picks they STILL have over the next 2 years. They picked up a LOT of draft picks in the expansion draft. They have a TON of 2nd and 3rd rounders over the next few years.

If I'm Yzerman, I'm not giving up ANYONE of substantial value...and PRAYING EK goes to FA. I'd rather play this year WITHOUT him and take my chances at sigining him NEXT year.

We'll see. I don't think OTT is in a position to let him go for nothing but they aren't going to get fair value either. OTT is basically FUCKED. Dorian is over the barrel...and everyone knows it.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:18 am

Brazen331 wrote:Can’t really say who came out on top here.

I can.

Vegas.

For the reasons you mentioned but also because LV didn't give up all that much. The reviews on Suzuki are mixed. 3rd...MAYBE a solid 2nd line center? Plus a pick they can more than afford to lose? For a probable 30 goal guy, team captain and a first/second line center?

And Montreal? A team that can't find a center with a map? WTF? Good luck with the "Drouin is a center" experiment.

MON will be one of the worst teams in the league this year.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:00 am

Alpha wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:Can’t really say who came out on top here.

I can.

Vegas.

For the reasons you mentioned but also because LV didn't give up all that much. The reviews on Suzuki are mixed. 3rd...MAYBE a solid 2nd line center? Plus a pick they can more than afford to lose? For a probable 30 goal guy, team captain and a first/second line center?

And Montreal? A team that can't find a center with a map? WTF? Good luck with the "Drouin is a center" experiment.

I have to agree now that I see Pacioretty has signed an extension. It sucks that Vegas overpaid forTatar to begin with but that dude was getting scratched for Ryan Reaves and I can’t see him scoring 20 in Montreal. All he can do is shoot and I think he will be useless without a creative center.
Brazen331

Postby Hit55 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:09 pm

Breaking (per WDAE): Steve Yzerman is stepping down from his position as GM into an advisory role. Julien Brisebois expected to take over.
Hit55

Postby Rocker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Hit55 wrote:Breaking (per WDAE): Steve Yzerman is stepping down from his position as GM into an advisory role. Julien Brisebois expected to take over.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
Rocker

Postby Teitan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:42 pm

What. The. ****.
Teitan

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:48 pm

OH NO!!!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 pm

At least he's staying on as an advisory role and not taking his services to another team.
bucfanclw

Postby Teitan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:55 pm

bucfanclw wrote:At least he's staying on as an advisory role and not taking his services to another team.

Yet...
Teitan

Postby Konatown » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 pm

@HeleneStJames
Pertaining to
@JoeSmithTB
report of Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM in Tampa Bay, source tells Free Press Yzerman told Lightning players he was going home to Detroit. Has maintained area home while GM of Tampa Bay Lightning.

Konatown

Postby Konatown » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Huge blow to the Bolts, come on Steve you’re so close to getting a cup here.
Konatown

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Yzerman says it’s to spend time with family ... must be the family in Detroit cause that’s where he will be GM
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:15 pm

I don't think the Lightning will lose much with this move...IF BrisBois is as "good" as is rumored. I KNOW the Lightning were getting calls last year, for him. He was rumored to be the next GM in Montreal. He's been with the organization for 8 years. The GM of the Crunch and Yzerman's 2nd. He's familiar with the organization from the bottom to the top. I think it's a forgone conclusion that Yzerman will be going to Detroit at the end of the year, when Holland's contract expires. It sucks but it's understandable. And it's all pure speculation, at this point. Nobody knows ****.

Regardless...Yzerman has rebuilt this organization for sustained success for many, many years. He will always be a hero in this area...as well as Detroit.

I trust Vinik...the best owner in professional sports...to make the right hire. AND the rest of the staff stays.

The timing is a bit of a shock but once the dust settles, the Lightning will be just fine and shouldn't miss a beat.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:49 am

Alpha wrote:I don't think the Lightning will lose much with this move...IF BrisBois is as "good" as is rumored. I KNOW the Lightning were getting calls last year, for him. He was rumored to be the next GM in Montreal. He's been with the organization for 8 years. The GM of the Crunch and Yzerman's 2nd. He's familiar with the organization from the bottom to the top. I think it's a forgone conclusion that Yzerman will be going to Detroit at the end of the year, when Holland's contract expires. It sucks but it's understandable. And it's all pure speculation, at this point. Nobody knows ****.

Regardless...Yzerman has rebuilt this organization for sustained success for many, many years. He will always be a hero in this area...as well as Detroit.

I trust Vinik...the best owner in professional sports...to make the right hire. AND the rest of the staff stays.

The timing is a bit of a shock but once the dust settles, the Lightning will be just fine and shouldn't miss a beat.

Actually, I think the timing was perfect. Yzerman stayed throughout the crucial off-season stuff. Imagine if he had done this at the end of last season. Now that it's time to head into the regular season, the GM's job isn't nearly as critical, imo. So, if he was planning to move on, choosing to do so now rather than earlier was a best case scenario for this club.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
I can.

Vegas.

I have to agree now that I see Pacioretty has signed an extension. It sucks that Vegas overpaid forTatar to begin with but that dude was getting scratched for Ryan Reaves and I can’t see him scoring 20 in Montreal. All he can do is shoot and I think he will be useless without a creative center.

Yeah...McPhee realized he made a mistake with Tartar and did his best to fix it. I agree with you about Tartar. He's a 20 goal guy...but probably not in Montreal.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 pm

EK to San Jose on a rental.
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:28 pm

Rocker wrote:EK to San Jose on a rental.

And SJ gave up quite a bit for him (and Perron).

That SJ blue line is pretty fierce now...
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:06 am

Alpha wrote:
Rocker wrote:EK to San Jose on a rental.

Sure, they got better, but the cost? Fuckouttahere.

I don’t see them as legit contenders. Smells like part desperation to improve, part fan service.

Meh.
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:08 am

Rocker wrote:
Alpha wrote:

I don’t see them as legit contenders. Smells like part desperation to improve, part fan service.

Meh.

Since I was unfamiliar with the Sharks farm system...and most of their team, for that matter, I started looking around. A couple of things stood out:

1) The prospect they gave up was an upper-middling prospect. Not one of their best.
2) They gave up 2 roster players...neither of which are particularly good or important, although the one kid (Belzer or whoever...was an AHL rookie last year and is decent. Allegedly.
3) The biggest takeaway was the "condition" on the "conditional pick". The condition being that he re-signs with SJ. At this point, this is what SJ gave up FOR A RENTAL.

So SJ gave up a first and 2 seconds (or variations of this, if EK re-signs/gets flipped to an EASTERN CONFERENCE TEAM, etc.), 2 roster players and a middling prospect to rent EK for one year.

OTT is getting KILLED for this deal....but they were gonna get killed regardless. I'm actually ok with the OTT end of this. They were "Capital F" FUCKED. They were NEVER getting market value for EK. 2 get 3 (or so) high draft picks and 2 roster players? All things considered...not a bad haul. They've done worse this summer.

I'm also ok with TB begging out. For several reasons:

Word is that in order for OTT to even consider trading EK to an EC team, the offer would've had to been AMAZING. I read that as far BETTER than what OTT got from SJ.

Second...our "roster players" (especially on offense) are far better than San Jose's. We would've had to throw in Point or Sergachev and that wasn't ever happening.

We're also in a strange spot...and here's why. We'll see how training camp plays out over the next couple of weeks...but we may only get 1 or 2 new players on the team, this year. However, NEXT YEAR, we'll probably have an ENTIRE LINE sent up...plus a defenseman or 2. In short, we're most likely a year away from a massive influx of talent. Losing Point or Segachev THIS YEAR, would really hurt this team, THIS year.

Last...the draft picks. Losing 3 or more 1st/2nd round picks over the next 2-3 years would CRIPPLE the post-Stamkos/Hedman future of this franchise. We're still having to give up a first or second this year.

The price was just too steep. It'll be interesting to see if EK sign with SJ or goes to FA. I think it'll depend on how good SJ is this year...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:10 am

Rocker wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Meh.

Don't be ridiculous. SJ IS a real contender this year. With Vlasic, Burns AND EK...that defense is sick. And (assuming) Kane is for real and not gonna tank it...they're Cup contenders. Glad we only play them twice.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Jason Bourne

Next

Return to Other Sports