PODCASTS

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
post

PODCASTS

Postby RedLeader » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:09 pm

I tend to be on the road or traveling quite a bit, so I'm definitely a fan of the Podcast format for my News and Infotainment..

Thought this would be a good place to share and make recommendations as the format continues to grow:

Here's my current Podcast stack, in no particular order:

News:

> NPR upfirst
> Fox News Newscast (quick 2 min news update that updates hourly)
> NBC Nightly News
> Ben Shapiro Show
> Ira Kaufman Podcast (weekly)
> Real Time with Bill Maher (weekly)
> Pardon the Interruption (short and sweet)
> The Daily Show (Trevor is legitimately funny as ****, and probably does the best Trump out there)
> The Jimmy Dore Show (weekly) - One of my new favorites - hilarious
> Bucs Pewtercast (seasonal)

Info-tainment/Other:

> Joe Rogan (of course)
> Mohr Stories with Jay Mohr
> Lewis Howes, School of Greatness
> The Brutal Truth (Awesome podcast on Sales and Selling)
> The Garyvee Podcast
> Optimal Business Daily
> The Tim Ferriss Show
> Fantasy Footballers (seasonal)


Let me know what you got. Open to recommendations.
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: G14 Classified
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Teitan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:13 pm

I pretty much just listen to the JRE these days.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 4863
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 190 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:14 am

Episodic story telling podcasts, in order of my enjoyment:

The Bright Sessions

Ars Paradoxica

TANIS

The Once and Future Nerd

Rabbits

The Cleansed
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Upper deck of the Old Sombrero
Has thanked: 233 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby RedLeader » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 am

Rocker wrote:Episodic story telling podcasts, in order of my enjoyment:

The Bright Sessions

Ars Paradoxica

TANIS

The Once and Future Nerd

Rabbits

The Cleansed


Heh. Interesting. I'd never dabbled in the episodic stuff... Although, I did get into S-Town for a minute.


Will have to check some of these out.
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: G14 Classified
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby RedLeader » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:02 am

Teitan wrote:I pretty much just listen to the JRE these days.


Indeed. Joe Rogan is the ****.. I see he's got one he did with Adam Frank (physicist, astronomer) recently that I'm really looking forward to getting to.
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: G14 Classified
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Cheb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 am

The only podcast I regularly listen to is Hardcore History. It really butters my biscuit.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 4403
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 369 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 am

Back in the day when I had really crappy jobs, podcasts saved me. Things like a 4 hour shift washing the dishes at Pizza Hut. Thanks for the recommendations.

I've refined my collection to:

The Adam Carolla Show- Guiness World Record holder for most downloads in a year. There's a new episode every weekday morning. It's kind of the classic radio show style- they shoot the ****, play things like "The Rotten Tomatoes Game" where they guess movie scores, have a sports segment, movie reviews, guests range from politicians to Seth McFarlane, and then they do the news at the end of every show. I honestly would be out of the loop news-wise and have really boring mornings without it.

Stuff You Should Know- It's basically like reading the wiki on a subject, but in audio format. Over 1,000 episodes. The hosts are great. Two episodes per week. (Science/history/anything educational)

Freakonomics- Sometimes this one blows me away, others it's just good. "The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money" is one of my favorite single podcasts ever. (Finance (obviously)/psychology?)

Radiolab- This one is really hit and miss. Some great episodes, though. (Science, mostly)

And then there's the sports stuff, which is seasonal:

The Bill Simmons podcast, The Ringer NBA/NFL show, The Fantasy Footballers, Fantasy Focus Football, The Lowe Post.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am

Red listens to Jimmy Dore?

I'm shocked.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14427
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 667 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 am

Deuce wrote:
Freakonomics- Sometimes this one blows me away, others it's just good. "The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money" is one of my favorite single podcasts ever. (Finance (obviously)/psychology?)



Do you know if this is the same stuff they broadcast on NPR on the weekends?
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:14 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Freakonomics- Sometimes this one blows me away, others it's just good. "The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money" is one of my favorite single podcasts ever. (Finance (obviously)/psychology?)



Do you know if this is the same stuff they broadcast on NPR on the weekends?

They played Radiolab on WV public radio too.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14427
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 667 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 am

I listen to alot of different podcasts but have a few staples.

Football/Bucs related:
Ira Kaufman
Pewter Nation (in season)
Bucs Uncensored (in season)
Move the Sticks (best NFL podcast around imho)

Info-tainment
Joe Rogan - Usually catch every non-MMA episode
Sam Harris
Ben Shapiro
Rubin Report - I don't find Dave Rubin particularly interesting, but depending on his guests I'll give a listen.

Other than that it's audiobooks or finding additional content from guests that I find interesting who had been on one the latter podcasts named. Folks like Steven Pinker, Jordan Perterson, Michael Schermer, Maajid Narwaz, etc.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13593
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 590 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Do you know if this is the same stuff they broadcast on NPR on the weekends?

They played Radiolab on WV public radio too.


Zarni, I'm not sure but it probably is.

I have accidentally caught Radiolab a couple of times on NPR, too. It's exactly the same.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby RedLeader » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Podcasts increasingly popular


More than a third of Americans have listened to a podcast in the past month, according to a survey from the Reuters Institute, Business Insider reports. The increasing popularity of podcasts comes down to a few factors, including the growing use of smart home speakers.

Internationally, South Korea has the largest percentage of podcast listeners in the world, with 58% percent of respondents surveyed, per Business Insider.


Who knew..
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: G14 Classified
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 am

RedLeader wrote:Podcasts increasingly popular


More than a third of Americans have listened to a podcast in the past month, according to a survey from the Reuters Institute, Business Insider reports. The increasing popularity of podcasts comes down to a few factors, including the growing use of smart home speakers.

Internationally, South Korea has the largest percentage of podcast listeners in the world, with 58% percent of respondents surveyed, per Business Insider.


Who knew..


Not the MSM. Take the Joe Rogan Experience for example. An average (non-MMA) episode of his gets WAY more downloads than any cable news show. Some JRE podcasts have got around 8-10m downloads. I believe Hannity on Fox is the highest rated "cable news show" and averages about 3.3 million viewers. But that is just 3.3m TVs set to that channel at that time and who knows how many of that 3.3m are actively listening. Whereas a podcast requires the more active participation from the listener/audience.

Plus I believe people prefer the longform discussion format of a podcast that allows a deep dive on a particular issue. Whereas cable news is a very templated format of short 6 minute segments that are usually just people regurgitating talking points at one another and nobody listening to the other.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13593
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 590 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:05 am

DreadNaught wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Podcasts increasingly popular


More than a third of Americans have listened to a podcast in the past month, according to a survey from the Reuters Institute, Business Insider reports. The increasing popularity of podcasts comes down to a few factors, including the growing use of smart home speakers.

Internationally, South Korea has the largest percentage of podcast listeners in the world, with 58% percent of respondents surveyed, per Business Insider.


Who knew..


Not the MSM. Take the Joe Rogan Experience for example. An average (non-MMA) episode of his gets WAY more downloads than any cable news show. Some JRE podcasts have got around 8-10m downloads. I believe Hannity on Fox is the highest rated "cable news show" and averages about 3.3 million viewers. But that is just 3.3m TVs set to that channel at that time and who knows how many of that 3.3m are actively listening. Whereas a podcast requires the more active participation from the listener/audience.

Plus I believe people prefer the longform discussion format of a podcast that allows a deep dive on a particular issue. Whereas cable news is a very templated format of short 6 minute segments that are usually just people regurgitating talking points at one another and nobody listening to the other.


I wish more people would listen to the longform stuff. It would force them to actually think about issues rather than being spoon fed drivel from the MSM.

Pick your favorite speaker...listen to them for 2 hours and at least 5 times you will disagree with something they said. It gets one back into thinking critically about stuff. Instead of the idiots who watch a 4 minute story on CNN or FOX or whatever and just eagerly bounce their heads up and down. Or even worse, the idiots who put any stock in the celebrity tweets or 15 second snippets.



Think about this new separating kids from parents issue that has so much attention....I'll bet if you add all the time that CNN covers on the topic, it will be dozens of hours on air. And in that time, they will never truly look at the history of it, why it was adopted, how to change it, what would need to change from a legal perspective, what other issues are directly tied to it that would need to be changed as well, etc etc. Rather they will have 50 people talk about it for 3 minutes intimating its a simple issue.

Listen to any longform program on it for 2 hours (instead of the accumulated dozens of hours) and you will get all those issues talked about and more.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:22 am

Agreed Zarni, as someone that used to watch alot of cable news there really is no comparison in the value and education a listener can attain from a podcast compared to what cable news offers.

To be charitable, I will say cable news has value in letting people know what the issues are. But if you're framing an opinion on said issue based on what cable news is saying than you're really selling yourself short imo.

Like you stated Zarni, listening to a podcast you'll be able to disagree and agree at various points and most of the time understand why. Podcasts challenge you in a way books do, but are more easily digestible.

Unless there is a war or major crisis happening where I want real time coverage I don't ever see myself tuning back into cable news.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13593
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 590 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby RedLeader » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am

DreadNaught wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Podcasts increasingly popular


More than a third of Americans have listened to a podcast in the past month, according to a survey from the Reuters Institute, Business Insider reports. The increasing popularity of podcasts comes down to a few factors, including the growing use of smart home speakers.

Internationally, South Korea has the largest percentage of podcast listeners in the world, with 58% percent of respondents surveyed, per Business Insider.


Who knew..


Not the MSM. Take the Joe Rogan Experience for example. An average (non-MMA) episode of his gets WAY more downloads than any cable news show. Some JRE podcasts have got around 8-10m downloads. I believe Hannity on Fox is the highest rated "cable news show" and averages about 3.3 million viewers. But that is just 3.3m TVs set to that channel at that time and who knows how many of that 3.3m are actively listening. Whereas a podcast requires the more active participation from the listener/audience.

Plus I believe people prefer the longform discussion format of a podcast that allows a deep dive on a particular issue. Whereas cable news is a very templated format of short 6 minute segments that are usually just people regurgitating talking points at one another and nobody listening to the other.


Damn. 10m downloads?! Had no idea he was getting that much love. Thats awesome.

Been meaning to catch his stand-up as well.
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: G14 Classified
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Selmon Rules » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:31 pm

I think the only podcast I have ever listened to was Mike Rowe and his "The Way I Heard It" series. It's kind of a throwback to the old Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story"....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
User avatar
Selmon Rules
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:27 pm
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:I think the only podcast I have ever listened to was Mike Rowe and his "The Way I Heard It" series. It's kind of a throwback to the old Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story"....

Paul Harvey was a treasure.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14427
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 667 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby RedLeader » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:57 pm

The recent Joe Rogan / Ted Nugent podcast was a great listen... Good stuff.
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: G14 Classified
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:11 am

Not necessarily a podcast, but from NPR's This American Life this past Sunday night.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/655/the-not-so-great-unknown/act-one-1

The theme was stories about extremely pragmatic in unique/emotional/romantic settings.

The one I linked above is a 21 minute story about one of the astronauts from the Apollo 8 mission - the first manned flight to ever leave earth's orbit - and his uniquely indifferent attitude toward space. Very funny and quirky listen, but it was the ending that stood out to me. Hit me like a ton of bricks when I heard it live. One of the best endings to a story I've ever heard. Listened to it today again on the way in to work, had to choke back the water works. Give it a listen when you get an undisturbed moment
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:59 am

RedLeader wrote:The recent Joe Rogan / Ted Nugent podcast was a great listen... Good stuff.


I enjoyed it. Heard the Henry Rollins one more recently am always inspired by his tenacity. It's nice to see how two people can be so similar while still being so different.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13593
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 590 times

Re: PODCASTS

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:01 am

i've been doing the cato daily podcast...about 15 min review of the news. not bad.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 293 times


post

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 19 guests