New Orleans

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
New Orleans

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:38 pm

So, I'm headed to New Orleans for a few days in August. Looking for recommendations on things to do and places to go!
IchabodCrane84

Re: New Orleans

Postby Kress » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Kress

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:04 pm

IchabodCrane84

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:09 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Bucco Bruce attire okay for that?

You'll fit right in.

Aquarium of the Americas is a short walk from the quarter near the Superdome.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:14 am

My wife and I went to New Orleans for part of our honeymoon. It was lovely, if oppressively hot. We stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans in the French Quarter. It was pleasant.

If you like history, the National World War 2 Museum is well worth the cost of a ticket. I'm a history buff and I thought it was fantastic. One of the best parts of our experience there, for sure.

There's a street there, not in the main touristy area, where they have a line of music venues all attached to each other. It's more for music afficionados and locals, apparently. The name escapes me, but we went there twice. Excellent musicians, great jazz if you're into that sort of thing. I'd do some digging. It was worth it.

We had dinner one night at a restaurant called Kingfish, which was recommended to us by a friend. We went there and proceeded to order in the normal fashion. The waiter looked us in the eye and said that whatever we had just ordered was crap, that we were ordering like damned tourists. He told me that this restaraunt was excellent, and we had the opportunity to eat like royalty if we just did what he said. Before I could even get in a word edgewise, he said that you're having these for cocktails, these for starters, both of these for entrees, fresh ya know and not even on the menu, you're getting stuff off the secret menu, and you will pair it with these wines, and by the way you're getting these desserts, they are the chef's family recipe so you're ***damn having them. And he walked away.

I was a bit pissed. Who the hell does that guy think he is? I wanted to just walk out. My bride convinced me to stay.

I don't know what the hell I ate, but it was seriously one of the top five meals I've ever had in my life. I doubt you'd get my pushy in-the-know waiter if you went, but it was seriously quite good. I'd recommend it.

All that said, I think I only spent four days there. I defer to our resident Southerners.
Cheb

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 am

Thanks Cheb, will actually only be there for 3 days, the gf and I will be staying at the Astor Crowne Plaza on Canal St. and will be looking to pack as much as we can in. My dad already recommended the New Orleans School of Cooking, and I'll definitely be checking out this Kingfish place. I'll see if I can convince the gf to go to a WWII museum.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:25 pm

We go every year for Jazz Fest, some of our regular stops include Coops for lunch (line is stupid long for dinner). It's a dive bar and you don't want to see the kitchen but we like it.

Cochon is a good place to eat, I love the rabbit and dumplings there.

Cafe Amalie has the best gumbo in town, it's on Royal Street close by sister in laws wig shop. Wife might enjoy going there, Fifi Mahoneys, to try on wigs and such. They do cater to bridal parties and the local drag queens but they're good people and will go out of their way for you.

Brother in law is part owner of One-Eyed Jacks on Tolouse St. One of the oldest rock venues in the quarter, never know who might turn up but upcoming events are on website.

Drago's for oysters, broiled and on the half shell is always good although we did Acme Oyster House this last time and it was good.

Like the others, WWII museum is worth the day you will spend there.... I teach history and love the place....

Couldn't tell you where to go on Bourbon St cause we usually don't go near it but Clover Grill is good but far from fancy breakfast stop.

Enjoy
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby NYBF » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:23 pm

NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:07 pm

NYBF wrote:Image

Came here for this.
The Outsider

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Who is that?
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 pm

I like NO
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:11 am

NYBF wrote:Image

Ha!
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:46 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:So, I'm headed to New Orleans for a few days in August. Looking for recommendations on things to do and places to go!

Any place that has good A/C. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Return to Off Topic