Jameis Winston Contract

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Jameis Winston Contract

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Might as well officially get the countdown started on this. No question this will be by far the largest contract in team history across the board (except in length). Beat writer or whatever he is, Ira Kaufman said he spoke with the Glazers regarding Winston.

“I reported on this podcast that [Glazers] have lost not one scintilla in Winston and still regard him as their franchise quarterback and expect to cut him a massive check.” Kaufman said emphatically. “And i think they would agree to do so.”

There's been a lot of debate over how large the deal will be, if it'll set records, etc. Either way everyone pretty much agrees he will get paid a lot. So time will tell how large that check will be.
Bootz2004

Re: Jameis Winston Contract

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 pm

He will be he highest paid QB.
PrimeMinister

Postby acmillis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:15 pm

I know we've had this debate about 1-2 months ago, but I'm sure it will set records, even though he doesn't yet deserve the money he's going to get.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm

He will not be the highest paid QB.

Don't @ me
Deuce

Postby Nano » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:33 pm

He'll get his super-duper contract that if not the highest paid, will be close. All the national writers will post articles about them questioning if he's earned it but say the Bucs had no choice in extending him(and then making sure to include a line about now that he's paid and this is his team, it's time to step up). This place will love it, Reddit will hate it, and Twitter will still be talking about his sexual assault cases.

Meanwhile, the Bucs continue to win 5-6 games per season while always being the "Darkhorse team to watch" while occasionally having a random good 8-8/9-7 type season. We continue to fire coaches and make jackass hires, and we list this era of Bucs football as the "Era that could've been" after everyone retires.
Nano

Postby NYBF » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 pm

OK, we can all go home now. Nani nailed it.
NYBF

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 pm

I don’t think we need a board again until 2024. See everyone in 6 years!
Ken Carson

Postby Cheb » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 pm

We will probably resign him. True, there is a non-zero chance that he isn't resigned, but I'd be quite surprised.

Does Winston deserve such a stupid big contract? No, but we are a far worse team if we don't give him fair market value and he walks.

There's worse things to be than Matt Stafford 2.0
Cheb

Postby Teitan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Cheb wrote:We will probably resign him. True, there is a non-zero chance that he isn't resigned, but I'd be quite surprised.

Does Winston deserve such a stupid big contract? No, but we are a far worse team if we don't give him fair market value and he walks.

Andy Dalton 2.0
Teitan

Postby Cheb » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Teitan wrote:
Cheb wrote:We will probably resign him. True, there is a non-zero chance that he isn't resigned, but I'd be quite surprised.

Andy Dalton 2.0

In seven season Andy Dalton has made the Pro Bowl three times, took his team to the playoffs five times, and has a winning career record by a healthy margin. In fact, the only year where he didn't make the Pro Bowl or the playoffs was last season.

If Jameis Winston turns into Andy Dalton, Tampa would throw him a ***damn parade.
Cheb

Postby terrytate » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Cheb wrote:
Teitan wrote:
Andy Dalton 2.0

In seven season Andy Dalton has made the Pro Bowl three times, took his team to the playoffs five times, and has a winning career record by a healthy margin. In fact, the only year where he didn't make the Pro Bowl or the playoffs was last season.

If Jameis Winston turns into Andy Dalton, Tampa would throw him a ***damn parade.

The issues in Cinci shouldn't be laid at Dalton's feet. He's no Manning but he's certainly no Dilfer either.
terrytate

Postby Deuce » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:53 am

terrytate wrote:
Cheb wrote:

The issues in Cinci shouldn't be laid at Dalton's feet. He's no Manning but he's certainly no Dilfer either.

From a Bengals fan on Reddit:

Since 2010, the Bengals are 10th in win/loss record. In that top 10, five of those teams have won the Super Bowl. Seven of those teams have been in the Super Bowl. Nine of those teams have won a playoff game.

And then there is the Bengals.

:(
Deuce

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:11 am

Nano wrote:He'll get his super-duper contract that if not the highest paid, will be close. All the national writers will post articles about them questioning if he's earned it but say the Bucs had no choice in extending him(and then making sure to include a line about now that he's paid and this is his team, it's time to step up). This place will love it, Reddit will hate it, and Twitter will still be talking about his sexual assault cases.

Meanwhile, the Bucs continue to win 5-6 games per season while always being the "Darkhorse team to watch" while occasionally having a random good 8-8/9-7 type season. We continue to fire coaches and make jackass hires, and we list this era of Bucs football as the "Era that could've been" after everyone retires.

beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:24 am

Imo Winston is a better QB than Andy Dalton already. I don't care to get into a statistical debate about it, I just know if I could pick one for the next season (or next 10 seasons) I'd take Winston in a heartbeat. Dalton has been played on some pretty talent rich teams w/ good offensive coaching to support his development. You can win games with Dalton, but you're never going to win in January with him unless you have a top 3 defense and top tier rushing attack.

I suppose I have a higher opinion of Stafford than most. I know he's put up alot of 'garbage' stats for some bad teams. But he's never had a running game, played behind some terrible Olines, and his defense has never been better than just average. Despite this the Lions always have a chance to win b/c of the talent they have at QB. Imo Stafford is one of the most talented QBs. Over the past 3 seasons he's been a 65+% passer with a 3/1 TD/INT ratio. Stafford just turned 30yrs old so he's got some great years ahead of him still. He aint the problem in Detroit.

Winston will paid and be among the highest, if not thee highest paid player at the moment he signs his deal. We'll see how this season plays in 2018, but Winston is still just 24 years old. Like most every QB his efficiency (completion % increase, turnovers decrease) will improve with experience. We already see this in spurts where he is unstoppable out there. He just needs to curtail the boneheaded plays he's been prone to make and I believe that will come with maturity and experience. Winston has all the tools, talent, and support to be a top 5 NFL QB within a few years. But it's an elite group and few QBs crack that group so early in their career.
DreadNaught

Postby Swashy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am

Cheb wrote:
Teitan wrote:
Andy Dalton 2.0

Sad but true.

I am very reluctant with Winston moving forward. It's been 3 years and his "common sense" IQ is in the tank and I fear he has plateaued. We are NOT going to win a Super Bowl with a guy who air mails passes 25 yards down field into double coverage on 2nd and 6 when a safer play can be made at over half the distance. Nor can he make that same play to a receiver in stride in single coverage at double the distance. He makes so many bad choices because he wants to be a hero and only on the occasion that it works out we forget about things for a minute. Given his current state of progression I'll be shocked if we win any more than 7 games this year.

Unless Winston proves me wrong with a 180 I think management would be foolish to sign him to a mega deal
Swashy

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am

Swashy wrote:
Cheb wrote:

Sad but true.

I am very reluctant with Winston moving forward. It's been 3 years and his "common sense" IQ is in the tank and I fear he has plateaued. We are NOT going to win a Super Bowl with a guy who air mails passes 25 yards down field into double coverage on 2nd and 6 when a safer play can be made at over half the distance. Nor can he make that same play to a receiver in stride in single coverage at double the distance. He makes so many bad choices because he wants to be a hero and only on the occasion that it works out we forget about things for a minute. Given his current state of progression I'll be shocked if we win any more than 7 games this year.

Unless Winston proves me wrong with a 180 I think management would be foolish to sign him to a mega deal

Prepare to think management is foolish, then.
Rocker

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 am

Swashy wrote:
Cheb wrote:

Sad but true.

I'll grant you Winston's decision making needs to improve. But I think the 'plateaued' critique is pretty unfair considering his age and statistical progression. I know QBs are judged on wins and Winston will be the first to say that, but having a run game and defense play big role in a team winning games. QB decision making improves with experience. But decision making is also easier when you have a good defense and run game that puts you in favorable situations throughout the course of a game instead of having a young QB playing from behind with little run game which has been the situation more often than not.

Winston isn't far off, so I don't want to see a 180. Just eliminate the 1-2 bonehead play he's been prone to make b/c he's trying to do too much when nothing is there on a particular play. Sometimes a sack or incomplete pass is the best play you can make, but that decision is harder make when you're losing in the 2nd half of games and you're trying to spark your offense.

Given something unforeseen I think you should be prepared to call management foolish.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am

It could go either way.

If he breaks out, we are gonna have to pay up the ying yang. 25m/y is the starting point.

If he gets suspended and or has another inconsistant year, I think you give him a 3 year deal around 60/m and see where he is 3 years from now.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Swashy wrote:
Sad but true.

I'll grant you Winston's decision making needs to improve. But I think the 'plateaued' critique is pretty unfair considering his age and statistical progression. I know QBs are judged on wins and Winston will be the first to say that, but having a run game and defense play big role in a team winning games. QB decision making improves with experience. But decision making is also easier when you have a good defense and run game that puts you in favorable situations throughout the course of a game instead of having a young QB playing from behind with little run game which has been the situation more often than not.

Winston isn't far off, so I don't want to see a 180. Just eliminate the 1-2 bonehead play he's been prone to make b/c he's trying to do too much when nothing is there on a particular play. Sometimes a sack or incomplete pass is the best play you can make, but that decision is harder make when you're losing in the 2nd half of games and you're trying to spark your offense.

Given something unforeseen I think you should be prepared to call management foolish.

I think Winston will always make those boneheaded plays, but you can win with a QB like that. He just needs to be more consistent. Last season he had games where he looked like the best QB in the league and others where he was just post out there. You can usually tell what type of game he will have in the first series.

Agreed that 180 is really dramatic. He's close.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:47 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I think Winston will always make those boneheaded plays, but you can win with a QB like that. He just needs to be more consistent. Last season he had games where he looked like the best QB in the league and others where he was just post out there. You can usually tell what type of game he will have in the first series.

Agreed that 180 is really dramatic. He's close.

Brett Favre agrees with this.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:52 am

Talented QBs don’t plateau at 24. I’d say being a 24 year old QB is the same as being a 20 year old at nearly every other position. Winston has years and years of learning and refinement and mastering of the QB position to do.

Dread, Stamford is actually a good example of this. As you’ve stated the last 3 years have been his best. You can look across the league and you’ll see that most top QBs don’t become such until their early 30s. If you actually think someone will have the QB position down to a science at age 24 and after just 3 or 4 years in the NFL you’re sorely mistaken and living in a fantasy world. If that were the case the position would be easy and there wouldn’t be a need to invest so much into the position.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 am

Name me a top QB that hit their absolute peak at 25. I’ll wait.
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Swashy wrote:
Sad but true.

I used the word "plateaued" to describe Winston because his strengths are as good as they ever were his rookie year and his weaknesses are just as prevalent. The only outlier was that stretch he had towards the end of last season. We didn't win those games (minus New Orleans) but Winston gave us every chance at victory because he FINALLY started to kick his bad habits. Those 4 or 5 games (whatever it was) after he came back from injury were the best football he ever played out of.... I think it's 44 or 45 games in his career? Don't quote me but the point is that's small sample size. But anyway we don't need him to be THAT flawless to win. I think the defense gave up better than 20 points in each of those games. But unless he plans on putting those bad habits to rest for good, he'll be closer to a reclamation project than franchise QB. That whole month of December is the only time in Winston's career where he didn't look like a 2nd and 3rd year rookie out there.

I hate to say it but I'm not sold yet
Swashy

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Name me a top QB that hit their absolute peak at 25. I’ll wait.

The last one was Dan Marino. But that 'peak' was elite and he stayed there for years.

Today's QBs don't peak before 25, just doesn't happen. The very few that have success early are often a result of a great defense and/or run game (Wilson, Dak, Wentz, Goff) making the game (decision making) simple for them.
DreadNaught

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am

Post-Testaverde QB's for the Bucs that started at least one game:

Steve DeBerg
Craig Erickson
Trent Dilfer
Shaun King
Eric Zeier
Brad Johnson
Rob Johnson
Chris Simms
Brian Griese
Bruce Gradkowski
Tim Rattay
Jeff Garcia
Luke McCown
Byron Leftwich
Josh Johnson
Josh Freeman
Mike Glennon
Josh McCown
Jameis Winston

So either sign Jameis long term, or hop back on that carousel. That's 25 years worth of ugly with only 3 years of the Bull, 1 year of Fat Freeman, and maybe a year of Jeff Garcia and a year of Shaun King as positives.

Jameis isn't elite yet. But he's a lot better anything we've ever had.
Bucs N Beers

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:17 am

DreadNaught wrote:

The last one was Dan Marino. But that 'peak' was elite and he stayed there for years.

Today's QBs don't peak before 25, just doesn't happen. The very few that have success early are often a result of a great defense and/or run game (Wilson, Dak, Wentz, Goff) making the game (decision making) simple for them.

Exactly. And with the way the game has evolved and how the complexity increases annually you’d never really want your QB to peak. They are all getting better until they retire or age catches up.
Bootz2004

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 am

Colin Kaepernick
beardmcdoug

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

Colin Kaepernick

He was never a top QB. I don’t think you understand the question.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Colin Kaepernick

He was never a top QB. I don’t think you understand the question.

I think he was just being a smartass and/or stirring the pot..

Hope so, because I giggled....
Super K

Postby Stuart » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:16 pm

no way in hell JW deserves top money at this point. I can see them butting heads when contract time comes though if his head is as big as his mouth and antics.

but with all the stupid moved out of OBP they just might do it.
Stuart

Next

Return to Team Discussions