Supplemental Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Supplemental Draft

Postby BucaRican » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Any guys worth targeting? I have to be honest, I never follow it, the only player that sticks out in the past has been Josh Gordon.

Is the risk worth the reward?

The only reason I bring this up as a topic, is because espn wrote an article about Sam Beal, and how he may be the highest pick player since Josh Gordon. If he is indeed a high pick, he would be worth a look if the hype is real.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23713470/western-michigan-cb-sam-beal-trying-get-supplemental-draft
BucaRican

Re: Supplemental Draft

Postby Super K » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Adonis Alexander....I'd be cool with it..
Super K

Postby MJW » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:44 pm

I feel like we're too loaded up on young corners right now to expend a 2nd or a 3rd on another one. It would essentially mean that our top six corners would be Grimes, and then VHIII, Smith, MJS, Carl Davis, and the supplemental pick. That's exciting but also kind of scary.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:51 pm

I worded that poorly. There's nothing wrong with collecting young talent at any position. But that would potentially be a lot of trial by fire for the secondary, if 3 of our top 6 were rookies and another two were first contract guys.
MJW

Postby Super K » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 am

I don't necessarily disagree with you, the kicker is Grimes is a deadman walking (so to speak)...

99% chance this is his last year here so next offseason we are gonna have to replace him anyway..so we either over spend going after another high priced FA CB (with JWs contract looming) or draft someone..

We could have that figured out this year by nabbing Alexander...kid can play, he's big and he and Davis at CB (long term) would be something to see imo..
Super K

Postby Konatown » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:36 am

If he came out last year, what would his projected round have been?

His teammate Brandon Facyson went undrafted.
Konatown

Postby Super K » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:57 pm

Dunno...all I found was that he had been given a "big grade" before deciding to come back to school..

Multiple articles say giving up a 5th or 6th rounder for him (in the supplemental draft) is great value...
Super K

Postby Nano » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Matt Miller @nfldraftscout
Sitting down with Sam Beal today for an upcoming feature. Hearing Rd 2-3 bids for him with a few AFC teams very interested.

That's pretty high. Wonder if we're interested, we could use the help.
Nano

Postby BucaRican » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm

https://thepewterplank.com/2018/07/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-could-be-active-in-supplemental-draft/

Something pointed out by another article I read was the fact that Jason and Dirk could both be in line to lose their jobs this yr. The article stated that they maybe more inclined to spend draft picks that they may not be here to make based on the talent they may receive this yr. Beal is very interesting.
BucaRican

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:34 pm

BucaRican wrote:https://thepewterplank.com/2018/07/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-could-be-active-in-supplemental-draft/

Something pointed out by another article I read was the fact that Jason and Dirk could both be in line to lose their jobs this yr. The article stated that they maybe more inclined to spend draft picks that they may not be here to make based on the talent they may receive this yr. Beal is very interesting.

After all we did this offseason plus the talent already in place on this team, you’re coming here saying Dirk and Licht are going to use the supplemental draft to find the saviors who will save their jobs?? LMFAO! FuckOuttaHere with that kid!
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
BucaRican wrote:https://thepewterplank.com/2018/07/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-could-be-active-in-supplemental-draft/

After all we did this offseason plus the talent already in place on this team, you’re coming here saying Dirk and Licht are going to use the supplemental draft to find the saviors who will save their jobs?? LMFAO! FuckOuttaHere with that kid!

Bootz is right. There's no franchise savior in the supplemental draft.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

I think you're taking the point to the extreme.

The point is, 2019 draft capital likely has less value to Licht/Dirk than 2018 talent does, even at a bad rate of return on the investment.

It's a CYNICAL point, and it's one you could make for half of the FO's in the league any given year. But that doesn't make it untrue.

FWIW, I would be surprised if we're active tomorrow, simply because we have 4 greenhorn cornerbacks as it is.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I think you're taking the point to the extreme.

The point is, 2019 draft capital likely has less value to Licht/Dirk than 2018 talent does, even at a bad rate of return on the investment.

It's a CYNICAL point, and it's one you could make for half of the FO's in the league any given year. But that doesn't make it untrue.

FWIW, I would be surprised if we're active tomorrow, simply because we have 4 greenhorn cornerbacks as it is.

Is the proposed Supplemental draft talent better than the talent we currently have? If so they who are we taking and who are we getting rid of that is already on this team?
Bootz2004

Postby SIBucsFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:12 am

I don't think we do anything in the Supp Draft, unsurprisingly. It does have some talented DBs with Alexander and Beal, but as mentioned we have enough rookie CBs vying for playing time as it is. Not only do we have Davis and Stewart, but I think Marko Myers has shown enough to get the coaching staff excited to see if they found a hidden gem with him as well.
SIBucsFan

Postby BucaRican » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

The point is they're willing to play around with house money. Last off-season the same was said in terms of talent on this team, so please chill out with the "talent already in place". You can never have enough talent or depth.
BucaRican

Postby Cheb » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am

With most supplemental drafts I am not too excited. But Beal and Alexander seem like worthy selections.

I'm of two minds.

On the one hand, our secondary last year was desperately in need of improvement. Grimes had flashes of his former self but is on the cusp of retirement. Evans showed promise at safety. Everyone else sucked out loud. Beal could immediately be a contributor at corner, while Alexander offers schematic versatility as both a corner and a safety. Either guy would have been worthy of being drafted had they been in the draft this year. I would have approved of either of them had they been drafted by the Bucs at that time. For the supplemental draft, I wouldn't mind if the Bucs put in a third round claim on the dude they like best. Adding competition is always a good thing, especially competition at a position that last year was such a quagmire. Even if the new supplemental draftee pushed down newly acquired draft resources into backup positions, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, because as we all know Grimes isn't long for professional football and we need to have a strong plan of succession. If our scouts and coaches think that either Beal or Alexander has starting talent, it would be stupid not to get their guy for the relatively cheap price of a third round pick. Both Licht and Koetter have to feel their seats getting warmer, so why wouldn't they make an aggressive move here? It would match the rest of their offseason plan of making aggressive moves with a mind to win games sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, we already have a bevy of youth in the secondary. We just drafted two cornerbacks in the second round and a safety in the fourth round, and I largely expect them to contribute this season. Would adding another young gun really improve our team in that area? Doubtfully. Selecting either Beal or Alexander would push one of our shiny new rookie corners down to fifth on the depth chart, assuming that VH3 and Grimes aren't totally benched. Moving Alexander to safety would make our selection of Whitehead a puzzler, because I would have assumed that he's the long-term solution at strong safety. Sure, Whitehead could be relegated to backup duty, but why abandon ship two and a half months after drafting him? While both Beal and Alexander have their intriguing aspects, I don't think that spending a pick on either guy is going to solve any of our fundamental problems on defense. Surely Licht and Koetter have looked at the recent history of the supplemental draft and realized that by-and-large the guys selected never end up making good. Save your picks on guys who go through the draft and college system the right way. Besides, isn't it a potential flag that most of these guys are ruled ineligible to play this year, mostly for slipping grades? The last thing we need is to waste a pick on McNichols 2.0, a guy who is too stupid and immature to learn an NFL playbook and make good on the field, for all the potential he may have possessed.

Tampa hasn't made a supplemental draft pick in over 30 years. It'll be interesting if they break that streak.
Cheb

Postby BucaRican » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero)
No players were selected in the first round of the NFL supplemental draft, source said. No surprise. On to Round 2. All teams on the clock

Tom Pelissero
‏@TomPelissero
No players taken in Round 2 either, source said.
BucaRican

Postby BucaRican » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:34 pm

And we’re off! The #Giants have selected Western Michigan CB Sam Beal in the third round of the NFL supplemental draft.

Damn IT!

Tom Pelissero
‏@TomPelissero
No players taken in Round 4, per source.
BucaRican

Postby BucaRican » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:04 pm

BucaRican wrote:
And we’re off! The #Giants have selected Western Michigan CB Sam Beal in the third round of the NFL supplemental draft.

Damn IT!

Tom Pelissero
‏@TomPelissero
No players taken in Round 4, per source.

The #Redskins have selected Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander in the sixth round of the NFL supplemental draft.

Washington had the 20th spot in that round.

Seriously????????????? Guess the Bucs Believe they have they have the CB of the future to not waste a 6th round pick on a talent like Alexander.

No players taken in the seventh round and that concludes the NFL supplemental draft. Three undrafted players now free agents, most notably Mississippi State safety Brandon Bryant.
BucaRican

Postby Super K » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Sucks..

I would've pulled the trigger on Alexander in the 5th/6th in a heartbeat...
Super K

Postby MJW » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:24 am

Super K wrote:Sucks..

I saw Greg Auman write about this. He said that if we'd added another corner, it would have meant the end of the Ryan Smith era. He didn't see us carrying six corners, and we weren't going to dump Grimes, VHIII, Stewart, or Davis. So it would have been Smith, and he thinks we like Smith.

We could have moved him back to safety, but I kinda think we wouldn't with Whitehead there now. Dunno though. Academic now.

I'll be interested to see if there's a TJ Ward type addition to the 53 this year. It seems very unlikely unless someone gets hurt. The top 45 of the 53 are more or less set, including almost every starting spot and it's top backup.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Here is the thing about the supp draft and why so few players are taken. Whoever you draft you have to assume will take a roster spot on the 53, why else waste the draft pick just for camp fodder. So for the Bucs who just drafted 2 CBs (Davis and Stewart) in the 2nd round adding a 3rd rookie CB would mean the staff intends to have 3 rookie CBs on the 53.

Normally teams carry 5, sometimes 6 CBs on the 53. Grimes and VH3 are assured roster spots if healthy. The two 2nd rounders I mentioned will make the 53 as well. So that is 4 already.

Now include ST Ace Josh Robinson, Ryan Smith, and Javien Elliott and we're up to 7 without mentioning any other camp meat CBs on the roster.

I don't see any room at CB to spend a draft pick in the supp draft on that position. Had we not traded back and not drafted so heavily in the defensive backfield I think the situation would've been different and maybe we would've gone after one of these CBs. But we addressed the position in April, we just need Davis and/or Stewart to work out.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:47 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

Here is the thing about the supp draft and why so few players are taken. Whoever you draft you have to assume will take a roster spot on the 53, why else waste the draft pick just for camp fodder. So for the Bucs who just drafted 2 CBs (Davis and Stewart) in the 2nd round adding a 3rd rookie CB would mean the staff intends to have 3 rookie CBs on the 53.

Normally teams carry 5, sometimes 6 CBs on the 53. Grimes and VH3 are assured roster spots if healthy. The two 2nd rounders I mentioned will make the 53 as well. So that is 4 already.

Now include ST Ace Josh Robinson, Ryan Smith, and Javien Elliott and we're up to 7 without mentioning any other camp meat CBs on the roster.

I don't see any room at CB to spend a draft pick in the supp draft on that position. Had we not traded back and not drafted so heavily in the defensive backfield I think the situation would've been different and maybe we would've gone after one of these CBs. But we addressed the position in April, we just need Davis and/or Stewart to work out.

I get ALL that, I do..

But we aren't talking about a premium pick here...it's a freakin 6th rounder aka "camp meat"...

Worst thing that could happen is he doesn't work out and we are out a 6th next year...whoopidy doo...

Maybe he beats out Elliot, Smith or Robinson...maybe they all rock and we have to run with 7 and cut some **** elsewhere (cough) Conte (cough)....

Given the ineptitude of our DB play over the last decade, which hasn't been completely in the limelight because our DL has somehow sucked MORE, once he hit round 5 we should've been all over him...

He and Davis on the outside would've been something to see...
Super K

Postby Konatown » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Another thing to think about is Licht likes wheeling and dealing on draft day. Keeping onto all his picks allows him more flexibility to do just that.
Konatown

Postby BucaRican » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Super K wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I get ALL that, I do..

But we aren't talking about a premium pick here...it's a freakin 6th rounder aka "camp meat"...

Worst thing that could happen is he doesn't work out and we are out a 6th next year...whoopidy doo...

Maybe he beats out Elliot, Smith or Robinson...maybe they all rock and we have to run with 7 and cut some **** elsewhere (cough) Conte (cough)....

Given the ineptitude of our DB play over the last decade, which hasn't been completely in the limelight because our DL has somehow sucked MORE, once he hit round 5 we should've been all over him...

He and Davis on the outside would've been something to see...

A 6th is camp fodder. I agree with you.....
BucaRican

Return to College Football/Draft Talk