Welcome Ronald Jones!

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Welcome Ronald Jones!

Postby Super K » Wed May 02, 2018 6:44 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
MB wasn't talking about the rushing title and neither am I. We're speaking about Jones. He's 2nd on the depth chart or 1a if you will. But unlike Elliott, Gurley, Johnson, Bell, Hunt, Shady, Fournette he's not the unquestioned bell cow on this team. The rushing totals should increase a lot this year with all of those back healthy and in the mix. But Ronald Jones won't be in that conversation.

I'm with MB. 850-1100 all purpose for Jones is a good season. Barber should match that or at least be close.

Thirded. I'll be thrilled if we can get something along the lines of 2,000 combined yards from scrimmage from Jones/Barber.

Fourthed(?)..

But I will say the numbers will be reversed (Jones will have more than Barber) because of RoJo's(tm) explosion and speed...

Barber is a good, solid dude...but I've got $50 on me being able to beat him in a race...he's got 1 gear lol...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 02, 2018 7:52 am

Super K wrote:
MJW wrote:
Thirded. I'll be thrilled if we can get something along the lines of 2,000 combined yards from scrimmage from Jones/Barber.

Fourthed(?)..

But I will say the numbers will be reversed (Jones will have more than Barber) because of RoJo's(tm) explosion and speed...

Barber is a good, solid dude...but I've got $50 on me being able to beat him in a race...he's got 1 gear lol...

You run a 4.6?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Wed May 02, 2018 8:13 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Super K wrote:
Fourthed(?)..

You run a 4.6?

Light me on fire and I may have a chance..
Super K

Postby SIBucsFan » Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 am

Super K wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You run a 4.6?

We'll also let you run the Pro Day Special--the 39.5 yard dash.
SIBucsFan

Postby Super K » Wed May 02, 2018 8:19 am

SIBucsFan wrote:
Super K wrote:

We'll also let you run the Pro Day Special--the 39.5 yard dash.

I'll take it!
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 am

Super K wrote:Yeah, the only thing Sims offers us is that 3rd down skillset (good receiver, good pass blocker etc)...

If we aren't gonna use him for that role, why bring him back at all?...

What sucks about it is his being in the game is a dead ****ing give away play call wise...

For the love of everything holy DK, stop splitting Sims out wide and calling that damn quick pop/smoke screen to him...ya dumbass

Dont talk about our 15th all time rusher like that.
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 02, 2018 9:28 am

Fourthed ... dude hasn’t made the team yet fyi ...
Can he learn the playbook is my only question ?
Jason Bourne

Postby Doctor » Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am

I love that we have faith in Barber. And with a roster that included Martin and Quizz that made sense. But this isn't a rbbc offense. Barber isn't Fred Taylor here. When DK took over Martin got the bulk of the carries with Sims getting about 100, Martin got over 1400 yards that season. Rojo is looking at about 250+ carries this season is he's healthy easily.

Resigning Sims to be the 3rd down guy, so that won't be Barber. And he won't keep Rojo on the bench on 1st and 2nd. We all know exactly how this is going to play out with Rojo sharpening his teeth against back ups in the preseason early before winning it the job.

I like Barber, I do. But he's a back up.
Doctor

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 am

Doctor wrote:I love that we have faith in Barber. And with a roster that included Martin and Quizz that made sense. But this isn't a rbbc offense. Barber isn't Fred Taylor here. When DK took over Martin got the bulk of the carries with Sims getting about 100, Martin got over 1400 yards that season. Rojo is looking at about 250+ carries this season is he's healthy easily.

Resigning Sims to be the 3rd down guy, so that won't be Barber. And he won't keep Rojo on the bench on 1st and 2nd. We all know exactly how this is going to play out with Rojo sharpening his teeth against back ups in the preseason early before winning it the job.

It took Barber a year or more to “get it “ as far as learning goes . Hopefully Jones learned quick but I think it will take awhile
Jason Bourne

Postby Naismith » Wed May 02, 2018 10:01 am

Doctor wrote:I like Barber, I do. But he's a back up.

That may be Barber’s ceiling as a pro, but I’d be very surprised if he’s not the primary back for most games this year. I might be (probably am) biased because I wasn’t very excited about Jones but I don’t think they will want to expose Jameis to the pass protection of a smaller rookie RB he majority of time.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Wed May 02, 2018 10:12 am

Naismith wrote:

That may be Barber’s ceiling as a pro, but I’d be very surprised if he’s not the primary back for most games this year. I might be (probably am) biased because I wasn’t very excited about Jones but I don’t think they will want to expose Jameis to the pass protection of a smaller rookie RB he majority of time.

I said it in another post, but despite the usual usage of your typical thunder/lightning backfields, I think we see Jones as the man on 1st and 2nd downs, and then Barber as the 3rd down back (and short yardage guy).
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:23 am

Doctor wrote:I love that we have faith in Barber. And with a roster that included Martin and Quizz that made sense. But this isn't a rbbc offense. Barber isn't Fred Taylor here. When DK took over Martin got the bulk of the carries with Sims getting about 100, Martin got over 1400 yards that season. Rojo is looking at about 250+ carries this season is he's healthy easily.

You're looking back 3 seasons as a reference as to why you think Ronald Jones will get 250+ carries. Look at it objectively.

In 2015, this was a team a year removed from a 2-14 record. The entire operation was in rebuild mode. We had a rookie QB, a 2nd year WR who had a good year, a 32 year old Vincent Jackson who declined very quickly and 2 rookies starting on a shakey Oline. We also had Lovie Smith as our head coach, a guy who loved using the run game to control the clock and likes using bell cows. Of course we wanted to run the ball over and over and over. And we did. Martin was our bell cow. In fact that season only 3 RBs received carries. Martin, Sims, and Bobby Rainey.

Move to 2016 Koetter is head coach and Martin got hurt. But even before he got hurt IIRC we signed Jacquizz Rodgers. And Antone Smith. Everybody got touches. Martin, Barber, Rodgers, Sims, Smith, Mike James. Koetter spreads the wealth around and likes utilzing multiple backs to fit the situation. Same with 2017, used multiple backs.

Also factor in what we are as an offense. In 2015 we had a rookie QB in Winston, Evans 2nd year, Vjax. ASJ & Brate at TE. Hump was a rookie. Very young, inexperienced offense.

2017 now look at what we have. Winston in year 4, ready to breakout after showing improvement each season prior. Evans in year 5 with a fresh new contract. Djax is 31 but still fast as **** and hopefully ready to contribute. Brate in year 5 and still getting better. OJ Howard has plenty of talent and is ready for a role. Hump in year 4 as well. Godwin in his 2nd year and really stepped up late last year. All of these weapons in the passing game, do you think Koetter is going to force the issue here and try to build his offense around a rookie RB? No. Barber isn't a special player but he's done what he can with his carries which is decent and will look to improve as well. All of these things you fail to take into consideration.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Naismith wrote:

I'd be very surprised if Barber IS the primary back. Like it or not, he isn't a particularly good runner. "Serviceable" maybe. And when it comes to pass pro, "serviceable" is being generous. Barber sat behind a 2.9 YPC guy because of equal parts mediocre running, poor pass pro, and Koetter stubbornness. It isn't going to take a great leap for Jones to equal his pass pro proficiency , and he is already a much more dangerous runner. The only real questions are his durability and if Koetter can pull his head out of his ass before it's too late again.
Caradoc

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 pm

DreadNaught wrote:He also runs hard for a 208lb RB so I don't know why you call him "soft" either.

The kid was the #1 RB in the nation coming out of Texas in HS and proceeded to set records at USC (which has a pretty awesome history of RBs).

So he was good in HS and college? Wow, not many NFL draftees can say that!!! What a homerun, the kid is a sure thing at this level if he was a high school stud!!!!!!

And you also INSISTED Winston would have us in the playoffs a couple years back. Remember?

Forgive me if your homeristic analysis of talent leaves me wanting a bit more....

DreadNaught wrote:I'll grant you he needs to prove himself as a blocker and pass receiver.

Wait, even Mr Sunshine and Lollipops can see holes already. Ouch.

DreadNaught wrote: But this is pretty talented kid who has a good head on his shoulders.

And then the proverbial "pretty talented" with a "good head" on his shoulders. :lol: :lol:

Yes, well then I don't mind a soft RB with mediocre vision, can't block, catch the ball or break tackles....

If he's pretty decent and got a good head on his shoulders I'm sold!!

Somehow, some way it's actually getting worse.

I think the Bucs are GREAT!!!

We move on.
Patrick McIrish

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 08, 2018 12:30 pm

So is Patty saying he doesn't want a talented RB? I'm confused...

If someone says a guy is a good player Patty counters with that person being a homer, when a more measured description is used then Patty isn't sold. lol.

At least you're not making up false fumbling stats again with Jones and I noticed you didn't quote that part of the response.

Never change bud, every show needs a clown.
DreadNaught

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm

No, didn't make up "false fumbling stats", just made a statement that you once again did not understand.....

Hint- a RB who has ZERO fumbles in HS can be fumble prone in college and/or the NFL. If confused read it again.

The film I watched I can see a problem if he isn't coached up at this level. Yes, I'm fully aware you don't see it.

So, no, didn't make up fumbling stats, in fact didn't mention numbers at all, you did.

And yes I do want a talented RB, I just made fun of the fact you think all talented kids in HS/college are automatically ensured that same success in the NFL.

Drafted players in the NFL, certainly earlier rounds are all talented, even those with a "good head" on their shoulder, LOL.

As for clown you hold that title, always have....

You spent 60,000 posts telling me if we spent 1st overall for a QB we would 100% make the playoffs in year 2 at the latest.

No matter how many times I attempted to educate you on the fact there's more to winning at this level than drafting QB's you could not see what I was telling you.

Now with the benefit of hindsight perhaps my posts make a hell of a lot more sense to you casual fans of the sport. That's usually how it happens.

Questions? No? Fantastic. We move on.
Patrick McIrish

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 08, 2018 1:07 pm

So you think Jameis was a bad pick still? Remind us all again what Olinemen in that draft you wanted to trade down for other that Marpet and Donovan Smith (who appear to be the best two Olinemen in that class outside of the top 5 overall).

Don't worry Patty, when Winston wins a Lombardi here in Tampa we'll know it was you that told us first!!
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue May 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Patty, if you've watched film of him, how is it that you think he has only mediocre vision? His vision is one of his best qualities, based on what I watched. And soft? For a 205 pound back I think he holds his own - hell, if there's an RB that looks like he runs noticeably soft in this draft its Barkley. And can't catch? Are you going off of just his low # of catches or did you watch tape where he dropped passes? How do you know he can't catch? Were you there at his practices where his coaches realized he couldn't catch or are you just assuming this because he wasn't frequently used in the pass game? You're not trying to attribute the scheme / Darnold's decision making to Jones' catching ability are you?
beardmcdoug

Previous

Return to Team Discussions