Boom or Bust 10 years of the best, worst draft picks

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Boom or Bust 10 years of the best, worst draft picks

Postby BucaRican » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:13 am

So I am sitting here minding my business when I see a article on ESPN is labeled "Boom or bust: 10 years of the best, worst draft picks for every NFL team". The base of this article/analysis, is to rate best and worst draft picks from the last 10yrs. The first thing I do is click on NFC South and scroll down to Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This is the output:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Best pick: DT Gerald McCoy. The third overall pick in the 2010 draft, McCoy hasn't always had a strong supporting cast around him. In fact, he has never been to the playoffs but has still managed to become one of the premier defensive tackles in the league, reaching six consecutive Pro Bowls from 2012-2017. His 39.5 sacks are most among NFL defensive tackles since 2013 and he has 48.5 for his career.

Worst pick: WR Dexter Jackson. The Bucs made the Appalachian State wide receiver their second-round draft pick in 2008, when he was, at best, a fourth-round pick. In fact, the Bucs had a fourth-round grade on him, but they panicked when there was a run on wide receivers and both Donnie Avery and DeSean Jackson had come off the board in the second round. That made Jackson, who clocked a 4.27 at the combine that year, the only remaining speed guy available as a needed replacement for the aging Joey Galloway. Jackson struggled catching the ball and made it through only seven games. He was waived during training camp the following year. -- Jenna Laine

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/273135/boom-or-bust-10-years-of-the-best-and-worst-draft-picks-for-every-nfl-team

I could not help to notice that every other team in the division had multiple picks on the likes, and multiple picks on the dislikes. It's like this lady did 0 homework on the BUCS and grabbed the 2 most obvious ones.

Now this leads me to ask the experts on the most knowledgeable message board on the World Wide Web the following question:

In the last 10 years who has been pick based on position drafted and expectations?

In the last 10 years who has been the worst pick based on place drafted and expectations?
BucaRican

Re: Boom or Bust 10 years of the best, worst draft picks

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:20 am

Missed like an aguayo extra point.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:23 am

Dexter was pretty bad. I wanted Desean bad that year, even wanted him round 1, and then when we just missed him in round 2 it was like, well we got the next closest thing!
real bucs fan

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:24 am

The fact she put Dexter Jackson before Aguayo tells me she did zero research on the Bucs.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BucaRican » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 am

I am off but I thought Aguyao was a massive miss.

If I was the reporter:

Aguayo would have been the Miss

And David would have been the shining star

But another notable miss was Mark Barron.
BucaRican

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:36 am

it's Jenna Laine...
beardmcdoug

Postby Cheb » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:59 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Missed like an aguayo extra point.

Lol.
Cheb

Postby Cheb » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:07 pm

BucaRican wrote:I am off but I thought Aguyao was a massive miss.

If I was the reporter:

I disagree about Barron. He was a very good player when he was asked to do what he was drafted to do; man cover tight ends and be a force against the run, while not being a total liability in deeper coverage. But when Lovie came here, he wanted Barron to play a deep half 20 yards deep, which isn't the strength of his game. Needless to say, he struggled and was abruptly traded.

I'm still salty we let Barron go. The Bucs have been struggling to find that physical strong safety type ever since he left, and we've been dogshit against tight ends since he was traded. Especially since the fourth and sixth round picks we got for him turned in Gabe Camiri starting two games at left guard and part of the Revis deal, we got no value from it.

Man Lovie really set this team back in a big way. What a jackass.
Cheb

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:46 pm

If I was the reporter:

I definitely think McCoy is the right "best" pick.

Who was the worst? That could probably be an endless debate about a lot of our picks.
theBKwhopper

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Agree w/ Cheb on Barron.

Mark Barron is talented and effective NFL defender and played well early under Schiano, who despite his many flaws was a decent defensive coach who coached that unit to the strengths of his players. Then we bring in stubborn ass Lovie and his "system" on defense that forced Barron to be a deep split safety.

Barron is like Derwin James. If you spend a premium resource to get them it's moronic to not let them play to his strengths, which is playing near the LOS where they can use their athleticism and physicality to make plays.

The Bucs fucked up w/ Barron. He could've been a good player for us had we hired a coach that didn't peg him as a Tampa-2 safety.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:14 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Agree w/ Cheb on Barron.

Mark Barron is talented and effective NFL defender and played well early under Schiano, who despite his many flaws was a decent defensive coach who coached that unit to the strengths of his players. Then we bring in stubborn ass Lovie and his "system" on defense that forced Barron to be a deep split safety.

Barron is like Derwin James. If you spend a premium resource to get them it's moronic to not let them play to his strengths, which is playing near the LOS where they can use their athleticism and physicality to make plays.

The Bucs fucked up w/ Barron. He could've been a good player for us had we hired a coach that didn't peg him as a Tampa-2 safety.

#neverforget

beardmcdoug

Postby Naismith » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:20 pm

McCoy is definitely the best pick from a talent standpoint. He's the best player the Bucs have had since Brooks' prime. In terms of factoring in talent and value where they were picked, it's Lavonte David.

Aguayo was terrible for all sorts of reasons, the biggest being that it was a terrible pick even if he was great, but Jackson is a worthy entry. He was just a terrible, scared football player that couldn't play on offense and eventually was replaced by undrafted Clifton Smith as a returner. The fact that they had him graded out as a fourth rounder and still took him is just embarrassing.
Naismith

Postby BucaRican » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Cheb wrote:

If I was the reporter:

I disagree about Barron. He was a very good player when he was asked to do what he was drafted to do; man cover tight ends and be a force against the run, while not being a total liability in deeper coverage. But when Lovie came here, he wanted Barron to play a deep half 20 yards deep, which isn't the strength of his game. Needless to say, he struggled and was abruptly traded.

I'm still salty we let Barron go. The Bucs have been struggling to find that physical strong safety type ever since he left, and we've been dogshit against tight ends since he was traded. Especially since the fourth and sixth round picks we got for him turned in Gabe Camiri starting two games at left guard and part of the Revis deal, we got no value from it.

He tailed towards the End of Schaino, I guess I am more salty about the fact we let him go for nickles and dimes.
BucaRican

Postby Doctor » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Cheb wrote:

If I was the reporter:

I always thought Barron would've been an excellent MLB for Lovie's system. IDK why he never tried that.
Doctor

Return to College Football/Draft Talk