Welcome Vinny Curry

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Welcome Vinny Curry

Postby Buc2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 am

Cheb wrote:Good for us for trying to fix the pass rush. Good for him for getting paid.

Now, to play devil's advocate; what does Vinny Curry do that Robert Ayers didn't? This last year was Curry's first year as a starter, in his sixth year in the league. He has only one season with more than four sacks, which was four years ago. He's almost 30, so presumably he's no longer at his athletic peak. Curry averages 3.6 sacks a year, slightly less than Ayer's average of 3.83 annually.

According to the article Deja posted, pressure the QB. Ayers, if not getting one of his rare sacks, disappears. I'd rather have a guy that gets the same number of sacks but, overall, gets a lot more pressure on the QB. Sacks aren't the be all/end all so long as the pressure is there. Just my opinion.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Curry is an upgrade on Ayers guys.
real bucs fan

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We gonna trade for Nick Foles too?

I'd gladly take Darby off the Eagles' hands. There's buzz he may be moved.

Well, that would make two teams that have moved on from him in short order. His final season at FSU was a puzzling display as well. He looked absolutely lost much of the time and showed real animosity towards Jalen all of the time.

Given their history, I also wouldn't want him in the same locker room as Jameis at this point.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:17 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Curry is an upgrade on Ayers guys.

This is true, but this is also damning him with faint praise. He's the 4th best starter on a good line, and a great guy to have in a rotation. I fear we're going to be counting on him to spearhead the edge rush and be the man. He's basically Greg (Sigh...Stylez G.) White.
MJW

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:24 pm

If we magically landed a stud passrusher, I feel like Curry would be a great guy to have on the other side. But we're still going to struggle to get sacks if he's our best DE.
Miller4Prez64

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:If we magically landed a stud passrusher, I feel like Curry would be a great guy to have on the other side. But we're still going to struggle to get sacks if he's our best DE.

Well put. He's Robin. If Noah Spence becomes that guy and puts up 14 sacks (not impossible, honestly), all of a sudden Curry will look a whole lot better.
MJW

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:32 pm

MJW wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:If we magically landed a stud passrusher, I feel like Curry would be a great guy to have on the other side. But we're still going to struggle to get sacks if he's our best DE.

Well put. He's Robin. If Noah Spence becomes that guy and puts up 14 sacks (not impossible, honestly), all of a sudden Curry will look a whole lot better.

I still have hope for Spence too, but if I'm Licht I'm still looking heavily at draft prospects.
Miller4Prez64

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:38 pm

MJW wrote:

This is true. We need one guy who is THAT GUY. Spence might be it although I am getting skeptical about the length of his career. He's not like McCoy who had his first two seasons end with the same injury to a different arm. Spence keeps losing time to the same injury to the same shoulder, and that is disconcerting. It's not out of the realm of possibility for us to land Chubb though. Unless we sign Suh, getting lucky enough to draft Chubb is about the only way we are going to make a real improvement on the pass rush this year.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:03 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Curry is an upgrade on Ayers guys.

This is true, but this is also damning him with faint praise. He's the 4th best starter on a good line, and a great guy to have in a rotation. I fear we're going to be counting on him to spearhead the edge rush and be the man. He's basically Greg (Sigh...Stylez G.) White.

You get what you can get.

But Curry has shown he can be a part of a championship level defensive line. By no means is he the answer, but he's good enough where we aren't forced into reaching for a DE in round 1, and can target a guy on Day 2 instead.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Given Curry's past production, age etc we essentially have the exact same pass rush before signing him as we do afterwards...

Including Noah Spence being in the roster and being injury prone..

Yet after 24 hours some are starting the "optimistic" swing....

I get it, we all want to find/see the silver lining....but, while it might not be "trash" as I've repeatedly said, it really is a meh signing as Bootz posted...
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Super K wrote:Given Curry's past production, age etc we essentially have the exact same pass rush before signing him as we do afterwards...

I get it, we all want to find/see the silver lining....but, while it might not be "trash" as I've repeatedly said, it really is a meh signing as Bootz posted...

I don't really know what you were expecting. Curry was pretty much the best DE available.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:14 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:Given Curry's past production, age etc we essentially have the exact same pass rush before signing him as we do afterwards...

I don't really know what you were expecting. Curry was pretty much the best DE available.

I wasn't expecting anything...I'm just saying that signing him doesn't change anything for us... especially in regards to the draft
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I don't really know what you were expecting. Curry was pretty much the best DE available.

I wasn't expecting anything...I'm just saying that signing him doesn't change anything for us... especially in regards to the draft

Curry's going to improve our pass rush. He's a good player.

And his presence allows us to not be forced into reaching for a DE in round 1. We can now draft a guy on Day 2 to groom.
real bucs fan

Postby Sammich » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Pass rush is a group effort, not an individual one. Curry is a good guy to have in that group. Our pass rush is by no means 'fixed', but it is improved. Given what was available that's all any reasonable person could hope for.
Sammich

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:23 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:

And his presence allows us to not be forced into reaching for a DE in round 1. We can now draft a guy on Day 2 to groom.

So good that Philly released him and and brought in Michael Bennett...

C'mon man, just because we signed somebody doesn't make it "good"...it's a lateral move, at best, going from Ayers to him...

Aside from signing Jensen, all of our moves have been lateral moves..
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Curry's going to improve our pass rush. He's a good player.

So good that Philly released him and and brought in Michael Bennett...

C'mon man, just because we signed somebody doesn't make it "good"...it's a lateral move, at best, going from Ayers to him...

Aside from signing Jensen, all of our moves have been lateral moves..

Philly cut him to save money. He's a dog. He was a big part of that Eagles defensive line, and he can be a big part of our defensive line as well.

Sure he's not an all-pro, but he's a good player. He's a legit upgrade on Ayers.

I think folks are going to be pleasantly surprised. Too many people just looking at his sack totals and thinking "lateral" move...
real bucs fan

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Sammich wrote:Pass rush is a group effort, not an individual one. Curry is a good guy to have in that group. Our pass rush is by no means 'fixed', but it is improved. Given what was available that's all any reasonable person could hope for.

LOL this signing doesn't change our draft strategy one bit
Heisenberg

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:02 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:

Curry is not talented enough to impact our draft status at all. If we were going to EDGE in round 1 before Curry we will go EDGE after Curry.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Curry is not talented enough to impact our draft status at all. If we were going to EDGE in round 1 before Curry we will go EDGE after Curry.

100% We won't pass on Chubb just because Curry is in the mix. Even if we draft a guy, and that guy is a rookie all pro, one guy can't man both spots. Ayers was old and unproductive. This IS an upgrade, no matter what else we do we will be a little bit better than otherwise.
terrytate

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:17 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

This...so much this..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:20 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

He's doing his thing again where he pumps up our signings so the pick can turn into a RB. Jensen allows us to pass on Quentin Nelson and now Curry allows us to pass on an edge rusher in the 1st. God forbid we sign a corner or safety.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

He's doing his thing again where he pumps up our signings so the pick can turn into a RB. Jensen allows us to pass on Quentin Nelson and now Curry allows us to pass on an edge rusher in the 1st. God forbid we sign a corner or safety.

Couldn't be more wrong.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I'd still draft Nelson even with Jenson. If Chubb is gone, Nelson is the next guy on the board and we could certainly use him.

We can't really control the draft though. We are going to get whoever falls to us, we don't have a lot of say. Unless as was said in the draft board, Licht stole Jenson from the Colts to force them into taking Nelson. Curry replacing Ayers is an upgrade but I don't see much else we can do for the DL in FA. The only other option is throwing money at Suh, and that option is dubious at best. Suh could be a homerun, or he could be Haynesworth 2.0.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:19 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Couldn't be more wrong.

real bucs fan wrote:We aint drafting Nelson.

real bucs fan wrote:Taking a Guard at 7 is a luxury we can't afford to make right now.

real bucs fan wrote: But I also think we aren't going to use the #7 pick on an interior OL after making Jensen the highest paid C in football- especially since I also believe the franchise hasn't stupidly given up on Sweezy after only a year back from back surgery.

Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Man down!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Man down!

MEDIC!!!
Rocker

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:44 pm

And where exactly am I advocating taking a RB at 7?
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 pm

real bucs fan wrote:And where exactly am I advocating taking a RB at 7?

Let's keep this simple.

Nelson, Barkley, and Chubb are all sitting there at 7. Who would you draft?
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm

We all know you're the Barkley guy

You've spent the last month talking up Chubb and Nelson in order to say "called it" no matter what happens.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Let's keep this simple.

Nelson, Barkley, and Chubb are all sitting there at 7. Who would you draft?

Checkmate.
Cheb

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions