***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Rocker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Domingue gets his home win. Stellar SO goal by Pointe. Kuch does Kuch.
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:42 am

Rocker wrote:Domingue gets his home win. Stellar SO goal by Pointe. Kuch does Kuch.

Montreal played a great defensive game against us. They SHUT DOWN the middle of the ice. If they played with that kind of effort all year...they wouldn't suck like they do. How many times did MON intercept a puck going cross-ice this game? 20 or so? Unreal. We were also unfortunate. We rand no less than 4 shots off the post/crossbar. I hate that ****ing sound...

McD...now I get it. He has great instincts. Regardless of the TO that led to the 2nd goal (mostly unfortunate/unlucky)...he brings a calmness and competence to the defense when he's on the ice. That means less time for the kids...and I'm ok with that.

Pretty neat to see the growth in Sergachev over the course of the year. He's gonna be special. His defensive play has improved tremendously since the beginning of the year. He CLEARLY takes to coaching. Unlike Drouin.

Nice win, against a motivated team, that played hard.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:13 am

One last thing:

JT Miller.

I was curious to see what he'd be on a team with talent. On the one hand...he'll be instrumental on how well we do in the playoffs. He's what I wanted Killorn to be and what I think Erne CAN be. On the other hand, it sucks that we're gonna lose him at the end of the year. He's gonna demand 4-5 mil/year and we can't do that. He's been a point per game player on this team (or near that). Great at faceoffs (which we aren't) and a physical FORCE. Yet, we're stuck with Killorn. Ugh. A similar guy but lacking that physicality (and faceoff prowess). A more timid version of Miller.

Got a lot of man-love for JT Miller. Yzerman did really good getting him in the deal.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:23 am

Miller has really impressed me thus far. McD, as you said, brings a calmness -or maybe just doesn’t play frenetically- when the opponent is controlling in our zone.
Rocker

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 am

I went to the game Sat and I really did like what I saw out of McD. He seems to have great awareness and sets up quickly in the defensive zone which allows him to break things up before they have a chance to get the quick shot in. The fact that Domingue only faced 29 shots is a testament to that. He was a bit off target with some passes, but that's to be expected since he still needs to build some chemistry with our guys. Overall, I'm definitely happy with the pickup.
bucfanclw

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:48 pm

We’re one month away from the Stanley Cup Playoffs!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:18 am

bucfanclw wrote:I went to the game Sat and I really did like what I saw out of McD. He seems to have great awareness and sets up quickly in the defensive zone which allows him to break things up before they have a chance to get the quick shot in. The fact that Domingue only faced 29 shots is a testament to that. He was a bit off target with some passes, but that's to be expected since he still needs to build some chemistry with our guys. Overall, I'm definitely happy with the pickup.

Definitely how the defense looks in the remaining 15 games or so. That'll give all of us a better idea of our chances in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind seeing BOS/TOR play in the first round and FLA not playing us.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 am

Domingue being reassigned to Syracuse, per Joe Smith just now.

Is this just to get him some game action since we've had a couple days off & since Vasy will most likely play?

I know Budaj is back .... but why on God's green earth would we not roll with Domingue as our full-time backup? I trust him 10x more than Budaj.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Domingue being reassigned to Syracuse, per Joe Smith just now.

Is this just to get him some game action since we've had a couple days off & since Vasy will most likely play?

I know Budaj is back .... but why on God's green earth would we not roll with Domingue as our full-time backup? I trust him 10x more than Budaj.

yep, totally agree
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:19 pm

I agree as well.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

It would be nice to see them come out fast tonight and bury OTT early. OTT is on the 2nd night of a back-to-back.

Tell me if you've heard this song before:

We jump on them early, 3-0...and then spend the next 2 periods sweating it out as they let OTT back into the game...

OTT defense and PK are so, so, disgustingly bad...there is ZERO reason why this game should even be close.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Dafuq is goin’ on?
Rocker

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Rocker wrote:Dafuq is goin’ on?

No worries , they will get it going
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Rocker wrote:Dafuq is goin’ on?

Shows you wtf I know. LMAO!

That was insane.

SoG 17-17

If you would've told me we scored ONCE this period...after all that pressure AND all of the near misses...I would've thought you were crazy.

So much for thinking we were gonna do a better job of shot suppression. That said, OTT is drinking pixie dust. EVERYTHING they threw on net, went in. It's crazy. The Bolts aren't playing poorly. Vasy isn't playing poorly. OTT is having one of those nights...at least, THUS FAR.

This could be another PHI-type, 7-6 game. Our chances are going to start going in. They just are. This could be one of those games where we score 3 or 4 goals in 5 minutes. It just has that feel. Hell...if we keep pushing the pace like this, it wouldn't shock me if we won 7-3. Of course, if OTT is living like this, they could win 10-4.

That first period was a Seinfeld-esque, Bizarro-World episode.

LOL...I have no idea what is going on...
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Bizarro-World, indeed. It’s silly.
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Ok...drop back 5 and punt.

This is absurd.

OTT isn't drinking Pixie Dust...they're freebasing it.

This is on of the goofiest games I've ever seen.

LMAO!

I'll pass on the 3rd period. Though it still wouldn't surprise me if this game ended up 10-9. In OT.

I've seen one team score every way imaginable. Unreal.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 pm

So our next game we play could be for first place. Will Boston ever lose a freaking game? Damn.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm

pewterpirates wrote:So our next game we play could be for first place. Will Boston ever lose a freaking game? Damn.

They lost their last one (before tonight). Looking forward to the BOS games...gonna be fun. Maybe we can get The Rat Marchand to get himself suspended for the playoffs.

Bottom line...as it was 3 months ago...be healthy going in and I'll take my chances with this team.

And as if nobody knew...The Coburn/Sergachev line is ****ing atrocious. Specifically Coburn. I remember when he was drafted by the Thrashers (I was a season ticket holder, at the time)...what a disappointment.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Alpha wrote:Bottom line...as it was 3 months ago...be healthy going in and I'll take my chances with this team.

The difference between playing Columbus/Florida/NJ in the first round as opposed to playing Toronto in the first round is huge to me. The wildcard wouldn't be an "easy" out, but a best-of-7 against Toronto in the first round would be TOUGH.

Give me:
Columbus/Fla/NJ in 1st round --> whoever survives Boston/Toronto in 2nd round --> Wash/Pitt/Phi in the conference finals

As opposed to:
Toronto in 1st round --> Boston in 2nd round --> Wash/Pitt/Phi in the conference finals

That's all assuming we even win ONE playoff series. I'm just trying to say how one path is certainly more appealing than the other.

Our penalty kill has been BRUTAL lately. I think we're hovering around 65% PK the last several games. Just putrid.
Last edited by pewterpirates on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 am

Saturday's game vs. Boston is going to be huge. Could be one of the biggest regular season games of the year (Yes, I know we have two more vs. Boston after this one).

We're coming in off an ugly loss to a bad Ottawa team and then 3 days off. Boston is coming off a shutout loss to Florida. Both teams need a win.
pewterpirates

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am

pewterpirates wrote:Saturday's game vs. Boston is going to be huge. Could be one of the biggest regular season games of the year (Yes, I know we have two more vs. Boston after this one).

We're coming in off an ugly loss to a bad Ottawa team and then 3 days off. Boston is coming off a shutout loss to Florida. Both teams need a win.

Downtown is going to be LIT Saturday!! Bolts vs Bruins on St. Pattys Day!!!
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:46 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Saturday's game vs. Boston is going to be huge. Could be one of the biggest regular season games of the year (Yes, I know we have two more vs. Boston after this one).

Downtown is going to be LIT Saturday!! Bolts vs Bruins on St. Pattys Day!!!

Gonna be some good fights
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:17 am

This all depends on how the coaching staff views these last 12 or so games. Is seeding (winning games) more important than setting the best, most consistent lines, heading into the playoffs.

Personally...the seed doesn't mean much. Historically, in the NHL...it just doesn't. I think, what we'll see are a lot of line match-ups...particularly on defense. It may make for some ugly games...maybe even some ugly losses...but I really believe the staff are going to experiment and attempt to find the most suitable lines.

I think we all discovered against OTT, the Coburn/Sergachev line was a disaster. I wouldn't be shocked to not see that tomorrow night.

I think, the narrative heading into the playoffs, will be that the Lightning are a "mess" or "in trouble". I think we'll see some games where we give up a lot of goals (similar to the OTT game). By the time the playoffs start, we'll see the payoff for the pain of these last 12 games. We'll have set lines.

The other interesting addition, will be the return of Palat. I wonder if it's coincidental that our defensive/PK struggles coincide with his injury? I never really thought much of him...and kind of wondered why we payed him like we did last year. Maybe Coop and Yzerman know something we don't? Ha ha.

I'll be home in time to catch the end of the game but I'll definitely watch the replay. Should be interesting...especially if Boston wins by a large margin...
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Boston already up 2-0 barely 10 minutes in. Bolts about to get blasted vs. an injury depleted Boston team.

We're not getting past the 2nd round.....
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Down 3-0 & it could easily be 5-0. We don't even look like a playoff team, let alone a team fighting for the 1 seed. We better pray we find a way to hang on to the #1 seed, then pray even harder Toronto beats Boston in the 1st round. The Bruins would beat us in 5 games in the playoffs. They're a matchup nightmare for us....and they're missing several key pieces.

Disappointing. Blah.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:46 pm

We look bad , it’s like we are sleep walking out there. We can’t even get out of our zone on the PP ..
After 2 periods we are 0-2 on the PK and we are 0-3 on the PP . We suck right now at the moment and are officially in a slump . I think we start playing eventually, but right now it’s ugly .
Jason Bourne

Postby SixStringSamurai » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Finally, keeping the other teams SOG to under 30...seems like forever and a day since that happened...So I guess that’s a plus
SixStringSamurai

Postby pewterpirates » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:39 pm

At what point do we start questioning Cooper & the coaching? There's way too much talent & skill on this team to be struggling this bad. There's be flaws with our defense for years, when does that fall on the coaches' shoulders?

So far today vs. Edmonton, there's been a lack of urgency. Just out there sleepwalking & going thru the motions.

Top to bottom, this is one of the most talented & deepest teams in hockey, & yes I know we have 100 points, but the past 6 weeks have been ugly, even tho we've managed to still win more than lose (to this point). Come playoff time, if we're still like this, New Jersey or Florida will embarrass us.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:48 pm

As soon as I post that, Hedman gets a goal & we're tied. :lol:

It sure would be nice to blow this one open & win 5-1. The guys need some confidence. Anyone read Stamkos' comments last night about the team's confidence?
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm not concerned about the offense. As you've stated...there's far too much talent for the offense to just disappear. It was a poor performance for them last nigh, no doubt.

What I'm looking for is defensive performance. And over the last 4 periods, the defense has been stellar. It gets lost in the fact that we were shut out by BOS but the defense gave up one goal and really limited there shots. The PK is another matter but our 5v5 defense has been outstanding. Against EDM as well. There first goal was solely on Domingue. The defense had no factor in it.

And you can't sit there and tell me the offensive effort isn't there tonight. 16 SoG. But for the grace of God, we haven't scored 3 in the first. They're skating fast and well and putting shots on goal. They've done everything but put it in the net.

Coaches coach. Players play. The coaches don't coach them to shoot 8 times in 2 periods. That's on the players. We still aren't as finesse as 2 years ago. There has been massive improvement there. You're just frustrated because of the last game.

As long as the defense improves and we can figure out how to kill a penalty, we'll be fine.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm

2 very nice periods from the Bolts.

Still no puck luck. McD clangs one off the post and Stammer is ****ing ROBBED by the goalies stick handle. Typical Lightning game; fore-checking their asses off, guys swarming the net, etc. etc.

Defense has put together another really nice game. McDavid has been pretty quiet...but Christ is he fast.

2/2 on the PK and the unit has looked really good.

Still a toss-up game but if the Bolts play a solid 3rd, they should be ok and qualify for the playoffs.
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports