Zarniwoop wrote:2.99 is NEVER too much for a nip

I beg to differ.

Spoiler:

Bro.

:lol:
beardmcdoug

Re: Last one Wins ... .Part 2

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:50 am

Zarniwoop wrote:It might be (thank you for drawing a parallel). But I can tell you from the context of the podcast it didn’t really have anything to do with that, it was a podcast from a psychologist about common reasons people struggle in life — mainly that they focus so much on the freedoms and rights and such that they neglect the responsibility part in their life and they fail to seek more out. For example anyone with kids will tell you providing for them gives one incredible meaning. Same with caring for ailing parents or partners. But the podcast went farther and suggested we should seek additional responsibilities at time.

that's a great concept. I find that when I'm dragging... and find myself slumping back into laziness or bad habits, and start to feel sorry for myself for all that I've got on my plate (recently)... instead of sliding back into comfort, I find that "stepping up" and even taking on more, bettering myself in the middle of the storm, I get invigorated by my new and confident approach and seem to get more more energy to accomplish what I need to. It's truly like energy from nothing - like a lifeline or a hand up from my inner self. The mind is a crazy sonofabitch
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:It might be (thank you for drawing a parallel). But I can tell you from the context of the podcast it didn’t really have anything to do with that, it was a podcast from a psychologist about common reasons people struggle in life — mainly that they focus so much on the freedoms and rights and such that they neglect the responsibility part in their life and they fail to seek more out. For example anyone with kids will tell you providing for them gives one incredible meaning. Same with caring for ailing parents or partners. But the podcast went farther and suggested we should seek additional responsibilities at time.

that's a great concept. I find that when I'm dragging... and find myself slumping back into laziness or bad habits, and start to feel sorry for myself for all that I've got on my plate (recently)... instead of sliding back into comfort, I find that "stepping up" and even taking on more, bettering myself in the middle of the storm, I get invigorated by my new and confident approach and seem to get more more energy to accomplish what I need to. It's truly like energy from nothing - like a lifeline or a hand up from my inner self. The mind is a crazy sonofabitch

It really is fascinating isn't it?

Sometimes we forget we are beasts of burden...and we often need that burden to feel fulfilled. Even Maslow shows this in his hierarchy of needs. Self-actualization only comes from fulfillment which comes from responsibility IMO.

It's so easy to get lost in the nihilism that passes for freedom nowadays.

I can tell you the times in my life where I have felt closest to self-actualization -- when I'm helping my family (mainly my little one), challenging and motivating my students and seeing them grow or giving in my community. Very few times can I find anything remotely close to self-actualization on my own -- apart from the few times where one finds oneself at complete peace and harmony with nature...but even that is more of a feeling of beauty and goodness then actualization
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Sometimes we forget we are beasts of burden...and we often need that burden to feel fulfilled. Even Maslow shows this in his hierarchy of needs. Self-actualization only comes from fulfillment which comes from responsibility IMO.

I can tell you the times in my life where I have felt closest to self-actualization -- when I'm helping my family (mainly my little one), challenging and motivating my students and seeing them grow or giving in my community. Very few times can I find anything remotely close to self-actualization on my own -- apart from the few times where one finds oneself at complete peace and harmony with nature...but even that is more of a feeling of beauty and goodness then actualization

+1

great line
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:02 pm

I specifically remember the happiest moment of my life.

Most people would say it was the day they became a parent or the day they graduated from college or got married. Mine was a random Sunday morning in 2002. I woke up in my first house in Lehigh Acres and could hear my wife in the kitchen. She was pregnant with our second child and the sun was doing it's dawn in Florida thing.

I remember that we didn't make a lot of money but all of life's necessities were covered and we had everything we needed. That particular morning was really no different than any other random Sunday morning but in that moment everything was just fine. No crushing anxiety about money, the kids, the future, or insecurity about jobs, taxes, or other obligations I could think of.

It was a moment of serenity I never quite felt ever again and I believe that it was a moment of true contentment. And it really only lasted for a few minutes.

Given that moment, I don't think that my burderns past or present lead to my overall feeling of or lack of fulfillment. To the contrary, the momentary lack of burden, the lifting of the weight of modern life is how I had that moment.

I know that life is burdensome and difficult and our ability to shoulder the tough times make us stronger. But what I wouldn't give to be that content for 5 more minutes.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:52 pm

I didn't mean to kill the discussion, just wanted to add an anecdote.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby acmillis » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I specifically remember the happiest moment of my life.

Most people would say it was the day they became a parent or the day they graduated from college or got married. Mine was a random Sunday morning in 2002. I woke up in my first house in Lehigh Acres and could hear my wife in the kitchen. She was pregnant with our second child and the sun was doing it's dawn in Florida thing.

I remember that we didn't make a lot of money but all of life's necessities were covered and we had everything we needed. That particular morning was really no different than any other random Sunday morning but in that moment everything was just fine. No crushing anxiety about money, the kids, the future, or insecurity about jobs, taxes, or other obligations I could think of.

It was a moment of serenity I never quite felt ever again and I believe that it was a moment of true contentment. And it really only lasted for a few minutes.

Given that moment, I don't think that my burderns past or present lead to my overall feeling of or lack of fulfillment. To the contrary, the momentary lack of burden, the lifting of the weight of modern life is how I had that moment.

I know that life is burdensome and difficult and our ability to shoulder the tough times make us stronger. But what I wouldn't give to be that content for 5 more minutes.

You high?
acmillis

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:01 pm

acmillis wrote:

You high?

It was a simpler time.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I didn't mean to kill the discussion, just wanted to add an anecdote.

nope - didn't - I always appreciate anecdotes like that. Besides, it served as an interesting sort of "yang" to the "yin" Zarni and I were discussing, a point made well through your story, and equally valid to what we're saying, IMO
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:07 pm

That's a good story and very similar to experiences I have felt...and indeed the motivation for my original post.

In that moment you felt you had taken care of all the responsibilities you had to -- you were being a good father, a providing and loving husband, waiting with great expectation the birth of another child, etc -- and you were reaping the transcendental rewards of it. You felt the pinnacle of accomplishment and value.

I would venture to guess that if you weren't married and had no kids and just sitting there alone on a Sunday morning in that same kitchen, that you likely would never have had that moment.

When I think back on my life and the times I felt a similar euphoria it would be stupid stuff like when I walk into the room and see my daughter all safe and secure and being as creative as her little brain will let her as she is doing art work. In those moments I feel like I have conquered the responsibility of parenting and I am making a difference in the world. And it fills me up.

The memories of winning motocrosses races are nice...but they don't fill my soul with happiness...as the memories I described above do. When the mountains and burdens are highest....humans can be at their best.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I didn't mean to kill the discussion, just wanted to add an anecdote.

nope - didn't - I always appreciate anecdotes like that. Besides, it served as an interesting sort of "yang" to the "yin" Zarni and I were discussing, a point made well through your story, and equally valid to what we're saying, IMO

It doesn't have to be one way or the other. You can find enjoyment from taking on a challenge AND the satisfaction of a job well done.

I guess I just prefer the latter.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Any of the LOW crew artistic?

I’m looking for an opinion on Copic Markers and have some questions for anyone familiar with them
Zarniwoop

Postby Sammich » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 pm

The problem with the theory of increasing burden and responsibility to increase happiness that I feel many of you are overlooking is whether or not you're getting something in exchange for that burden and whether or not you chose that burden. Raising your kids is a worthwhile burden. Doing charity is a worthwhile burden. These types of burdens do improve one's quality of life.

On the other hand there are many people in society that are buried under burdens that they get nothing from and can't get out from under. These are generally due to unfair laws or a devious person taking advantage of someone trying to be kind. These people were almost always trying to pursue some of those "good burdens" and got screwed over. An example of this would be a guy paying child support for a kid he doesn't get to help raise even though he did nothing wrong.

Unfortunately, more and more people are avoiding responsibility for fear of falling into that second group. The sad part is that their arguments are solid, logical, and factual. This mindset is a big contributor to the declining birth rates I mentioned in the Social Security thread. Pursuing positive burdens in modern society can be a risky move. A move many feel flat out isn't worth the risk.
Sammich

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:08 pm

That’s a nice add. I certainly wasn’t suggesting people go find Sysiphisian tasks just for the sake of it.

And I completely acknowledge all burdens don’t lead to actualization, but I do think the reverse holds true...actualization only comes from responsibility

Which reminds me of one of my favorite literary passages of all time

When we are good we aren’t always happy, but when we are happy we are always good (Wilde)
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Heidguy wrote:The wine was because I figured Z for a wine guy :)

Today I am. I’m a bottle and a half deep in “Apothic Red”...a nice $9 red blend

#middleagedspringbreak
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

#middleagedspringbreak

LOL attaboy
beardmcdoug

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:03 am

Zarniwoop wrote:

#middleagedspringbreak

My wife's been drinking the **** out of that wine for the last 3 months or so...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:19 am

I was in the Carlo Rossi myself yesterday.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Let's hit up the LOW with a weekly set of questions:

First live professional sporting event you ever went to:
Last live professional sporting event you went to:
First live collegiate sporting event you ever went to:
Last live collegiate sporting event you went to:
Favorite memory of live sporting event you went to (here I"m thinking of outcome on the field, not factoring in meaningfulness in life):
Sporting you hope to attend before you die:
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:00 pm

First live professional sporting event you ever went to: 1977 NHL game between the Cleveland Barons and the New York Rangers
Last live professional sporting event you went to: Dallas Supercross race a couple weeks ago
First live collegiate sporting event you ever went to: Early 1980's Akron Zip vs. Kent State football game
Last live collegiate sporting event you went to: Texas A&M vs. Arkansas 2 years ago
Favorite memory of live sporting event you went to (here I"m thinking of outcome on the field, not factoring in meaningfulness in life): Buckeyes beating the Wolverines 14 - 9 in 2002 to go to Natl Title
Sporting you hope to attend before you die: European rally car race somewhere in Eastern Europe (Poland, Latvia, Czech Republic, etc)
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Let's hit up the LOW with a weekly set of questions:

Favorite memory of live sporting event you went to (here I"m thinking of outcome on the field, not factoring in meaningfulness in life):
Sporting you hope to attend before you die:

Cincinnati Reds vs ??? c: 1968

Bucs @ Panthers, Christmas Eve 2017

I don't remember. It was a USF Bulls men's basketball game back before they got a football team. If I had to guess, I'd say sometime in the early to mid 90's.

Virginia Cavaliers vs NC Tar Hills in Charlottesville Oct. 2016

Bucs vs Eagles 1979 NFC Divisional playoff game. The euphoric feeling of watching the Bucs win their first ever playoff game is indescribable. The whole experience is burned deep within me. I'll never forget.

Sporting event you hope to attend before you die:
It's a toss up between a Super Bowl or the Kentucky Derby. I have to give the edge to the Super Bowl since it's my favorite sport to watch.
Last edited by Buc2 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:17 pm

I love these.

First live event: Kansas City Royals at New York Yankees. Old timers day. 1989.

Last live evént: Indie circuit pro wrestling event last Saturday.

First collegiate event: 1995 Sugar Bowl Florida vs. Florida State.

Last collegiate event: Glenville State College home football game vs. West Liberty

Favorite memory: At the Yankee game there was a three inning exhibition featuring Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Billy Martin kicked dirt on the umps shoe (all for show, im sure) Ted Williams tipped his cap (to applause). I was only 12 at the time, but you couldn't ask for a better introduction to major league baseball.

Still trying to make it to my first Bucs home game.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I love these.

First live event: Kansas City Royals at New York Yankees. Old timers day. 1989.

Last live evént: Indie circuit pro wrestling event last Saturday.

First collegiate event: 1995 Sugar Bowl Florida vs. Florida State.

Last collegiate event: Glenville State College home football game vs. West Liberty

Favorite memory: At the Yankee game there was a three inning exhibition featuring Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Billy Martin kicked dirt on the umps shoe (all for show, im sure) Ted Williams tipped his cap (to applause). I was only 12 at the time, but you couldn't ask for a better introduction to major league baseball.

Still trying to make it to my first Bucs home game.

OMFG!!! I'm so ashamed! How could I have forgotten all those Cincy Reds games I went to back in the late 60's/early 70's. I'm a complete dumbass. I don't remember the first Reds game I went to, but I was probably around the same age as you were when you went to that Yankees game. The big time players I remember were Pete Rose, Dave Concepcion, Tony Perez, Johnny Bench... Awesome times. I'm going to have to edit my post above.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:31 pm

The Kentucky Derby would be a blast.

Mint Juleps everywhere!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:03 pm

I really don't remember which was first, but I went to a Philly / Skins game in Philadelphia, and Virginia Squires game (with Dr. J) in the same year.

Houston Astros last year. Playoff series 1.

Va Tech football . .I was probably 8.

Florida Softball game this year. Heck .. they were runners up to the World Series.

Favorite memory of live sporting event you went to (here I"m thinking of outcome on the field, not factoring in meaningfulness in life): San Diego, 2003 ; Bucs 48 Raiders 21

Sporting you hope to attend before you die: Love to go to the Masters with my Dad.
Crocaneers

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Dude!

Was reading something unrelated that mentioned maslow and made a point that none of us touched on.

The botton two rungs of the pyramid are tangible needs. From food to 911 service, they are tangible things and are 99% of the things we argue about in PD. In the anecdote I wrote about I mentioned that at that moment in time I was essentially broke, but everything was fine (as I perceived it)

Juxtapose my momentary poor guy bliss with the depressed millionaire. A person that has ALL of their tangible needs met yet is still unfulfilled. These guys may have families and colleagues at the yacht club, but still become philanthropists because of an intangible hole in their lives.

I don't have a conclusion here just found it interesting.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Dude!

Was reading something unrelated that mentioned maslow and made a point that none of us touched on.

The botton two rungs of the pyramid are tangible needs. From food to 911 service, they are tangible things and are 99% of the things we argue about in PD. In the anecdote I wrote about I mentioned that at that moment in time I was essentially broke, but everything was fine (as I perceived it)

Juxtapose my momentary poor guy bliss with the depressed millionaire. A person that has ALL of their tangible needs met yet is still unfulfilled. These guys may have families and colleagues at the yacht club, but still become philanthropists because of an intangible hole in their lives.

I'll tie this in with what I said in the other thread, about moving to Montana and living out of a trailer with my dog and girlfriend. But I think about things like this a lot, too. When Hurricane Irma hit, even though I'm in Tallahassee, I was off for like 5 straight days. Being off for 5 days is awesome when you go on vacation but when you're just sitting around your house it gets old pretty quickly. That's why I get annoyed with all of these people who think they don't want to work, whether it's a stay-at-home parent or lottery winner. And it's always the type of person where I think "you'd kill yourself after a while" (in a jokey way lol).

I also used to work one full-time and one part-time job but things would happen like I'd work my 8-5 M-F, plus 6-10 W-F, and an 8-hour shift on Saturday. And every extra penny I had went toward my student loan. Now, I work a really laid back 40 hours and have a lot of extra dough. Am I happier? There was definitely a high after I paid my student loan off but now, I feel mostly the same.

EDIT: Sorry MB, this had nothing to do with your post but vaguely related to the previous discussion. My point was that we need something to work for or work toward, we need a reason to leave the house every morning, etc.
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Dude!

I'll tie this in with what I said in the other thread, about moving to Montana and living out of a trailer with my dog and girlfriend. But I think about things like this a lot, too. When Hurricane Irma hit, even though I'm in Tallahassee, I was off for like 5 straight days. Being off for 5 days is awesome when you go on vacation but when you're just sitting around your house it gets old pretty quickly. That's why I get annoyed with all of these people who think they don't want to work, whether it's a stay-at-home parent or lottery winner. And it's always the type of person where I think "you'd kill yourself after a while" (in a jokey way lol).

I also used to work one full-time and one part-time job but things would happen like I'd work my 8-5 M-F, plus 6-10 W-F, and an 8-hour shift on Saturday. And every extra penny I had went toward my student loan. Now, I work a really laid back 40 hours and have a lot of extra dough. Am I happier? There was definitely a high after I paid my student loan off but now, I feel mostly the same.

EDIT: Sorry MB, this had nothing to do with your post but vaguely related to the previous discussion. My point was that we need something to work for or work toward, we need a reason to leave the house every morning, etc.

Can the reason I leave the house in the morninbe to go get moore booze?

Only kidding, of course. I agree that we all need purpose. Meaningful work.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:07 pm

First live professional sporting event you ever went to: Early 80's Bucs game at the old Sombrero

Last live professional sporting event you went to: Bolts game a couple weeks ago

First live collegiate sporting event you ever went to: Football UFvFSU 1991

Last live collegiate sporting event you went to: Womens softball last month when the Gators were here in Tampa playing Michigan

Favorite memory of live sporting event you went to (here I"m thinking of outcome on the field, not factoring in meaningfulness in life): The 2000 Rams vs Bucs MNF game. Best live NFL game I've ever been to.

Sporting you hope to attend before you die: The World Cup. Not a soccer fan, but something about the WC that seems like it would really cool to be apart of.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:44 pm

How cool is this?

In his new book Enlightenment Now and in his McLaughlin Lecture at the Cato Institute this week, Steven Pinker made the point that we may fail to appreciate how much progress the world has made because the news is usually about bad and unusual things. For instance, he said, quoting Max Roser, if the media truly reported the important changes in the world, “they could have run the headline NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN EXTREME POVERTY FELL BY 137,000 SINCE YESTERDAY every day for the last twenty-five years.”

https://www.cato.org/blog/what-newspape ... n-progress
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic