Draft Watch: Defensive Ends

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Draft Watch: Defensive Ends

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:What do ya think! Can Sam Hubbard develop into something we would want?

Hubbard is interesting.

He has his pros. He's got size and good hands. He's obviously well coached. Nice motor, good pursuit, shows good instincts. He's been fairly productive on a very talented defense; 30 TFLs and 17 sacks for Ohio State in one season of sub work and two starting seasons.

However, he's never really put it all together to be a dominant talent. He misses plays better athletes would make. He has problems finishing. You could argue that he's athletically topped out. He makes alot of his hay against tight ends and running backs, which is alarming.

I've seen some places say he's a top 15 pick. I don't agree. I think he's a late second, maybe early third round talent. If he's there in the third, I wouldn't be too upset if we get him. While he isn't the passrushing superman we are all waiting for, he's a guy who can add good snaps to the rotation.

Good teams have guys like Hubbard.

I’m A Buckeye homer and have watched every game he has played in. I think you described him very well. A solid NFL player but not a great one. What he lacks in athleticism he partially makes up for in determination.
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:34 am

Today on the Sim the Colts are picking Davenport over Chubb.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:25 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Cheb wrote:
Hubbard is interesting.

He has his pros. He's got size and good hands. He's obviously well coached. Nice motor, good pursuit, shows good instincts. He's been fairly productive on a very talented defense; 30 TFLs and 17 sacks for Ohio State in one season of sub work and two starting seasons.

However, he's never really put it all together to be a dominant talent. He misses plays better athletes would make. He has problems finishing. You could argue that he's athletically topped out. He makes alot of his hay against tight ends and running backs, which is alarming.

I've seen some places say he's a top 15 pick. I don't agree. I think he's a late second, maybe early third round talent. If he's there in the third, I wouldn't be too upset if we get him. While he isn't the passrushing superman we are all waiting for, he's a guy who can add good snaps to the rotation.

Good teams have guys like Hubbard.

I’m A Buckeye homer and have watched every game he has played in. I think you described him very well. A solid NFL player but not a great one. What he lacks in athleticism he partially makes up for in determination.

I defer to you Zarni. When I've watched him he's reminded me your basic 2nd-3rd round end. 5-8 sacks. High motor. Pretty good against the run. Unlikely to wash out, and even less likely to go to a Pro Bowl. I'd liken him to a poor man's Chris Long. If went away from end in the 1st, then drafted Hubbard in the 2nd, I wouldn't particularly feel like we were that much closer to solving the problem, you know?
MJW

Postby Cheb » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:24 am

mdb1958 wrote:Today on the Sim the Colts are picking Davenport over Chubb.

If they're that stupid, then I wish them all possible success with their bold decision making.
Cheb

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Today on the Sim the Colts are picking Davenport over Chubb.

If they're that stupid, then I wish them all possible success with their bold decision making.

Is it a fact that they are going 4-3? He would have to screw up the combine pretty bad for us to get him in the 2nd, I expect the opposite and that is he will continue to climb.

Remember, if you get to the quarterback, how it happened isnt nearly as important. If he can come onto the field and change how an offense runs its plays and the defense can turn that into a weakness it shows value.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Cheb, you got any film you can watch on Jaylon Ferguson. I got a feeling on him that he could produce.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Here's another guy

Trevon Young Louisville EDGE
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:02 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Cheb, you got any film you can watch on Jaylon Ferguson. I got a feeling on him that he could produce.

He's returning for his senior year, and for good reason. He's not very good right now.
Cheb

Postby Cheb » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:22 pm

The more I watch him, the more I'm liking Rasheem Green out of USC. A good defensive line coach can mold him into something special. If he's there in the second round, I would be very enthusiastic. Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for him, so long as the price wasn't too prohibitive.
Cheb

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Cheb, you got any film you can watch on Jaylon Ferguson. I got a feeling on him that he could produce.

He's returning for his senior year, and for good reason. He's not very good right now.

I have searched for that info and could never find it. Plus, Louisiana Tech was not a good team in 2017.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Cheb wrote:The more I watch him, the more I'm liking Rasheem Green out of USC. A good defensive line coach can mold him into something special. If he's there in the second round, I would be very enthusiastic. Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for him, so long as the price wasn't too prohibitive.

I think him and Taven Bryan can play inside or outside.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Cheb wrote:The more I watch him, the more I'm liking Rasheem Green out of USC. A good defensive line coach can mold him into something special. If he's there in the second round, I would be very enthusiastic. Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for him, so long as the price wasn't too prohibitive.

I had him in my mock, though as a mid round guy. Definitely a unique piece of clay, and I agree he's a talent that just needs some coaching. 2nd round would be rich for me considering how early we're picking and the talent that will be there that is less raw, and that he isn't a need at all, but if we could get him in rounds 3 or 4 he'd be a great guy to groom behind McCoy.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:19 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

I had him in my mock, though as a mid round guy. Definitely a unique piece of clay, and I agree he's a talent that just needs some coaching. 2nd round would be rich for me considering how early we're picking and the talent that will be there that is less raw, and that he isn't a need at all, but if we could get him in rounds 3 or 4 he'd be a great guy to groom behind McCoy.

I agree, second round is a little rich for me too. Usually, the high second is when you grab that "I can't believe he fell out of the first" guy. A Cook, a Spence, a Bowers, a Myles Jack, a Jaylon Smith, etc. Like I always say there's 40-50 "locked in first round" guys every year, so there's always a ton of talent on top of the 2nd. Green isn't one of those. But if he's really viewed that way we could go worse. Hard to really know atm without knowing what else is on the board at that time.
Doctor

Postby Cheb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 pm

I've been mining the bottom of the draft for rush talent, and I think that Joe Ostman from Central Michigan will outplay his draft status. He will drop very far because his measurables will suck badly, but he led the country in sacks this year and he got another in the Shrine game. I think he has some worth in the sixth or seventh. The dude has a great swim, great hands, a good rip and spin, an admirable motor, and just finishes at the QB very well.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Cheb wrote:I've been mining the bottom of the draft for rush talent, and I think that Joe Ostman from Central Michigan will outplay his draft status. He will drop very far because his measurables will suck badly, but he led the country in sacks this year and he got another in the Shrine game. I think he has some worth in the sixth or seventh. The dude has a great swim, great hands, a good rip and spin, an admirable motor, and just finishes at the QB very well.

He's one of those coach's dream guys. Lives in the gym, all out at practice, runs gassers with the linemen after he already did his.

He's Gary Bertier.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 am

Regarding Chubb, I've noticed he had 3 beastly DT's on the line to help him. I dont see other D-line showing up that helped Davenport.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:24 am

In 2016 Y. Ngakoue and M. Judon got overlooked or got by us, or just plain ignored. They graded out at 5.3 and 5.2 respectively, With Judon, I wonder if he would look even better as a DE.

Anyways, in this draft there are quite a few who are grading out even higher than these guys. I think much of the grades are going to be what they will do in the future over what they done in college - I guess we will find out.

If any of these guys are around for us I hope we have done our homework and dont let productive players slip right by us.

Even this guy, EDGE JA'VON ROLLAND-JONES, has a higher grade. I know they get the grades wrong but I sure hope we figure out the right ones if we go after them.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 am

mdb1958 wrote:In 2016 Y. Ngakoue and M. Judon got overlooked or got by us, or just plain ignored. They graded out at 5.3 and 5.2 respectively, With Judon, I wonder if he would look even better as a DE.

Anyways, in this draft there are quite a few who are grading out even higher than these guys. I think much of the grades are going to be what they will do in the future over what they done in college - I guess we will find out.

If any of these guys are around for us I hope we have done our homework and dont let productive players slip right by us.

Even this guy, EDGE JA'VON ROLLAND-JONES, has a higher grade. I know they get the grades wrong but I sure hope we figure out the right ones if we go after them.

I was a big fan of Judon heading into that draft. I didn't know much about Ngakoue.

We've basically ignored the defensive line in the draft since Licht got here. It's hard to know what his strategy he'll employ once he remembers it's a thing.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:15 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:In 2016 Y. Ngakoue and M. Judon got overlooked or got by us, or just plain ignored. They graded out at 5.3 and 5.2 respectively, With Judon, I wonder if he would look even better as a DE.

I was a big fan of Judon heading into that draft. I didn't know much about Ngakoue.

We've basically ignored the defensive line in the draft since Licht got here. It's hard to know what his strategy he'll employ once he remembers it's a thing.

Well now we got to decide just how deep into the DT group we can go to fill out the middle for us. Do we go for a Daron Payne type of beast or do we pick a couple that we say they are much better than we realized. Sometimes the distance of talent shrinks once they begin playing and sometimes it dont.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 am

I'd give a guy like Devon Johnson a tryout just so we still could be in the running for DE, DT, or CB. To me, afriggin running back is going to make us miss on someone.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 am

I would be thrilled if we sign a corner, sign a solid/rotational running back, and then use every single draft pick on both lines. Every one of them. We frankly should have done it in 2016.
MJW

Postby Hatter » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:31 am

MJW wrote:I would be thrilled if we sign a corner, sign a solid/rotational running back, and then use every single draft pick on both lines. Every one of them. We frankly should have done it in 2016.

I could be really happy with this as long as Lichts version of a solid rotational RB is not like Chris Ivory or Jeremy Hill. I'd like Crowell in pewter.
Hatter

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Hatter wrote:
MJW wrote:I would be thrilled if we sign a corner, sign a solid/rotational running back, and then use every single draft pick on both lines. Every one of them. We frankly should have done it in 2016.

I could be really happy with this as long as Lichts version of a solid rotational RB is not like Chris Ivory or Jeremy Hill. I'd like Crowell in pewter.

I'd take Jeremy Hill. He's been fairly solid and has been very good at times. Especially in the red zone. His thing is injuries. He's also just 26 and with an improved line could really help out the run game.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:52 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Hatter wrote:

I'd take Jeremy Hill. He's been fairly solid and has been very good at times. Especially in the red zone. His thing is injuries. He's also just 26 and with an improved line could really help out the run game.

Ivory, Hill and Crowell all seem cut from the same cloth to me...

Guys whom could help as part of a committee, but should never be featured...

Hell, toss Quiz in there too... difference being those 3 tower over Quiz (obviously)...

And, imo, Ivory runs the hardest out of all of them..

Don't know why Crowell gets so much love... especially around here...
Super K

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Hercule Mata'afa is a guy that we should be paying attention to.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:34 am

How much did Jalyn Holmes get on the field for the Buckeyes?
mdb1958

Postby Sammich » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:51 pm

ImAWalkingCorpse wrote:Hercule Mata'afa is a guy that we should be paying attention to.

I like him. I wonder where he ends up getting drafted. I think he'd be a steal in the third, but I doubt he makes it out of the late second.
Sammich

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:53 am

Sammich wrote:
ImAWalkingCorpse wrote:Hercule Mata'afa is a guy that we should be paying attention to.

I like him. I wonder where he ends up getting drafted. I think he'd be a steal in the third, but I doubt he makes it out of the late second.

Which is why it would be perfectly acceptable to take him at the top of the second. Especially if we end up with Nelson or Fitz in the first.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:07 am

I really like Dorance Armstrong. Long and athletic, can bend the edge, and looks the part with room to grow.

Andrew Brown is another guy that will go higher than projected right now. He's more of stongside DE and doesn't have the bend. But has length and power while still being explosive. He was a former 5* recruit that stayed home to go to UVA and got stuck as a 2-gapper in a 3-4. I think Brown is a DE on 1st down who can be a valuable pass rusher as a DT in passing situations.

If the Bucs could somehow move down from 7 and pick up an extra day 2 pick and come away with Tim Settle, Dorance Armstrong, and Andrew Brown on Day 2 (plus whoever they get in round 1) I'd be elated.
DreadNaught

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 am

Scott Smith‏Verified account
@ScottSBucs

Jason Licht on UTSA DE Marcus Davenport: Explosive, raw. Licht likes the fact that Davenport is raw because it means there’s a lot of room for him to develop.
Bucs N Beers

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk