Madden 18

This is where you would discuss your fantasy team. Look for advice, as well as talk about your favorite video games. The Geekery so to speak.
post

Re: Madden 18

Postby terrytate » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am

Good news then, due to the Super Bowl it's now on sale for 17 bucks if you have the PS plus bit.
User avatar
terrytate
 
Posts: 2183
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Nano » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Should be going on EA Access within the next month
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 6981
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Sammich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm

I hadn't played Madden for several years and got 17 and 18 as a gift. I gotta say I was not impressed. My receivers can't make a catch unless they're wide open while computer receivers can make a grab in triple coverage. The other 10 defenders on my defense are stupid and don't follow the called play. Oline just blocks (usually poorly) on run plays instead of creating gaps where they're supposed to be.

I was not impressed at all. It just feels like backyard football.
Sammich
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:08 pm

Stop using the Bucs.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 5163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 428 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:18 pm

NYBF wrote:Stop using the Bucs.


Ha!
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 7292
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby acmillis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 am

It is as if, because they have the exclusive NFL license, they do not try because they're the only game in town. Kind of makes sense from a business standpoint; do not allocate resources to a product that is going to sell no matter what.

Sucks for us consumers, though!
acmillis
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Nano » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:00 am

Image
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 6981
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby acmillis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Nano wrote:Image

See...so unrealistic
















Patriots only up 6-0 with under a minute before the half on the Browns....yeah, okay.
acmillis
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby The Outsider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:37 pm

acmillis wrote:It is as if, because they have the exclusive NFL license, they do not try because they're the only game in town. Kind of makes sense from a business standpoint; do not allocate resources to a product that is going to sell no matter what.

Sucks for us consumers, though!



Congratulations. You've discovered the reason monopolies are bad.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:07 pm

The Outsider wrote:
acmillis wrote:It is as if, because they have the exclusive NFL license, they do not try because they're the only game in town. Kind of makes sense from a business standpoint; do not allocate resources to a product that is going to sell no matter what.

Sucks for us consumers, though!



Congratulations. You've discovered the reason monopolies are bad.

*artificial monopolies.

If Madden held a monopoly on it because it was the best and most widely bought, despite there being other NFL option games, it would be a "good" monopoly. Monopolies aren't by their nature bad, usually just the ones that don't get their by merit but by artificial means. See Netflix or Amazon.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5003
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Doctor wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Congratulations. You've discovered the reason monopolies are bad.

*artificial monopolies.

If Madden held a monopoly on it because it was the best and most widely bought, despite there being other NFL option games, it would be a "good" monopoly. Monopolies aren't by their nature bad, usually just the ones that don't get their by merit but by artificial means. See Netflix or Amazon.


right, because there's no other way to buy things or stream video entertainment :roll:

madden is the definition of a monopoly because it owns exclusive NFL rights, and thus has zero competition in the realm of NFL-based video games. And in this case of a true monopoly, we, the consumer, are experiencing the deleterious effects (controlled price and stagnated innovation)

all you have to do is read this wikipedia article to get the full story of the Madden franchise, and why it has been so stale for the past 10 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_NFL_2K5

ESPN NFL 2K5 is an American football video game developed by Visual Concepts and published by 2K Sports and the Sega Corporation. It is the sixth installment of the NFL 2K series. The game was originally released on July 20, 2004, for both the PlayStation 2 and Xbox video game consoles. It was the last NFL 2K game to be released before Electronic Arts signed an exclusivity deal with the NFL to make 2K's rival Madden NFL series the only officially licensed NFL game and was also the last game still being developed by Sega.

ESPN NFL 2K5 was the first in the 2K series priced at $19.99 the day it shipped, much lower than market leader Madden NFL at $49.99. This greatly reduced Madden sales that year; one EA Sports developer recalled that "[i]t scared the hell out of us".[1] EA reduced Madden NFL 2005's price to $29.95. In December 2004 EA Sports acquired an exclusive rights agreement with the NFL and NFLPA to be the sole creator of NFL video games.[2] The deal terminated 2K Sports production of any further NFL games. The ensuing season, Madden 2006, saw pricing returned to the $49.99 MSRP.

In December 2010, a U.S. district court judge certified a class action anti-trust lawsuit against Electronic Arts for anti-competitive practices to proceed.[3] Electronic Arts settled the class action suit in July 2012 for $27 million, and retained its exclusive NFL license.
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Nano » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Finally playing Longshot mode. Just about 50% through... And I'm not sure how Wade will get drafted. Dude has such a toxic personality. I've passed every drill but I've failed to stop him from acting like a scarred manbaby.
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 6981
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Noles1724 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:51 pm

what I really hate about this game.. isn't so much the game but it's the Madden Championship that's played. I was pretty good at the game, won a few local tournaments (consecutively even) and always dreamed of playing the big game.. I was 19, my dreams were a little short-sited. Anyways, I hate how the 'official' tournaments are MUTs! The game's biggest stance is to be realistic but yet they make the rosters unrealistic with having Jerry Rice, Bo Jackson, and other greats in the game.

That's not how the Madden Championship should be played. It makes it a hell of a lot easier when you have HOFers all over the field. "Oh, my #1 WR is getting double coverage.. I'll just throw it to Chad Johnson". These are not the best players in Madden. When I was a young buck, I loved beating clowns with Brad Johnson as my QB and everyone else needing to have M. Vick and still lose.

Also, I hate the fact that the passing/vision cone was removed. I thought that was such a fantastic feature. If your WR was open to the left, you had to 'look' in that direction in order to pass it accurately. Such a realistic feature that I was sadden when it was removed.

Out of all the changes though, I'd say the biggest one that hurts those with football smarts is displaying what your opponent ran the play before. Football can be very chess-y and trying to figure out what is being ran against you and how to adjust is almost given to the players now days.
Image
Noles1724
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby The Outsider » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Doctor wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Congratulations. You've discovered the reason monopolies are bad.

*artificial monopolies.

If Madden held a monopoly on it because it was the best and most widely bought, despite there being other NFL option games, it would be a "good" monopoly. Monopolies aren't by their nature bad, usually just the ones that don't get their by merit but by artificial means. See Netflix or Amazon.



The problem with monopolies in general is that without competition complacency becomes a real problem. Why innovate and improve when you're the only game in town? Madden has been stagnant for more or less 10 years because of that.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Doctor wrote:*artificial monopolies.

If Madden held a monopoly on it because it was the best and most widely bought, despite there being other NFL option games, it would be a "good" monopoly. Monopolies aren't by their nature bad, usually just the ones that don't get their by merit but by artificial means. See Netflix or Amazon.



The problem with monopolies in general is that without competition complacency becomes a real problem. Why innovate and improve when you're the only game in town? Madden has been stagnant for more or less 10 years because of that.


And with the exclusive license to use NFL players Madden has no reason to ever innovate. Therefore no competition exists in the space of NFL football video games.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 7292
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby terrytate » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

The problem with monopolies in general is that without competition complacency becomes a real problem. Why innovate and improve when you're the only game in town? Madden has been stagnant for more or less 10 years because of that.


And with the exclusive license to use NFL players Madden has no reason to ever innovate. Therefore no competition exists in the space of NFL football video games.



It also removes any incentive to develop for all platforms. I haven't owned a madden since up the early 00s because they stopped making it for pc. If another company could make a pc nfl game, EA would almost certainly follow suit. If EA didn't, pc sales might be enough to keep the rival afloat until they could challenge or surpass Madden in the console market.

On a side note, I apparently completely forgot how to Madden. I finally won a game on pro last night. I keep throwing picks like a nearsighted Rob Johnson.
User avatar
terrytate
 
Posts: 2183
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:28 pm

NFL Blitz was the bomb!
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:NFL Blitz was the bomb!


if you like arcade games.. sure... NBA Jamz was awesome too.
Image
Noles1724
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby The Outsider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Blitz was great. NBA Jam was Also good.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Doctor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 am

The Outsider wrote:
Doctor wrote:*artificial monopolies.

If Madden held a monopoly on it because it was the best and most widely bought, despite there being other NFL option games, it would be a "good" monopoly. Monopolies aren't by their nature bad, usually just the ones that don't get their by merit but by artificial means. See Netflix or Amazon.



The problem with monopolies in general is that without competition complacency becomes a real problem. Why innovate and improve when you're the only game in town? Madden has been stagnant for more or less 10 years because of that.

That's the difference between a natural monopoly and an artificial one. A company that has become a natural monopoly has done so because it's simply far better than everyone else. But they have to KEEP being better than everyone else to stay that way. Take microsoft, it was a natural monopoly for years and offered revolutionary new software. It got caught sleeping and was overtaken. Natural monopolies still have competition, they just crush it so bad it seems like they don't. Again, like Amazon. They still have to compete and stay ahead of other sites like Jet, and they do so very very well. But they can always be caught slipping and overtaken, like Microsoft.
Artificial monopolies are when you don't have competition. That's bad.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5003
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:10 am

Doctor wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

The problem with monopolies in general is that without competition complacency becomes a real problem. Why innovate and improve when you're the only game in town? Madden has been stagnant for more or less 10 years because of that.

That's the difference between a natural monopoly and an artificial one. A company that has become a natural monopoly has done so because it's simply far better than everyone else. But they have to KEEP being better than everyone else to stay that way. Take microsoft, it was a natural monopoly for years and offered revolutionary new software. It got caught sleeping and was overtaken. Natural monopolies still have competition, they just crush it so bad it seems like they don't. Again, like Amazon. They still have to compete and stay ahead of other sites like Jet, and they do so very very well. But they can always be caught slipping and overtaken, like Microsoft.
Artificial monopolies are when you don't have competition. That's bad.


There is a good 30 for 30 podcast edpisode about Madden and how it became the only football game in town. Fun listen if you’re interested.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 7292
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:35 am

don't want to start a new thread so i'll put the question here.

my PS3 just died and I'm looking at getting a PS4. Is it possible to get a PS4 and not get the on-line subscription if you only play games offline?

Thanks
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Rocker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:don't want to start a new thread so i'll put the question here.

my PS3 just died and I'm looking at getting a PS4. Is it possible to get a PS4 and not get the on-line subscription if you only play games offline?

Thanks


You’re not required to have PS+, but many games won’t even play without the connection. Depends on what you play, I suppose.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 3198
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:34 pm

OK, thanks
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:OK, thanks


buy me one too dawg
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Nano » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm

You should be fine as long as you play SP games. Obviously won't be able to do MP, but you'll still be able to do things like download updates/patches, buy/browser from the store(PS+ members do usually get a discount though). Most games will be unaffected unless theirs a major online element that's integrated into the single player.
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 6981
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 am

Playing ‘17; because I’m a cheap bastard.

Franchise mode.

Traded DJAX to the Bears for a 2nd and and 5th.
Traded Martin to the Patriots for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.
Traded Charles Sims III to the Jets for a 2nd and a 7th.

Acquired Josh Gordon for a 2nd and a 3rd (3rd round pick is next years draft)
Acquired Thomas Rawls for two 2nds (overpaid, but the second 2nd is in two years)
Cut Stocker, signed FB Austin Johnson as a UFA.
Traded Chris Baker and a 4th for Poe; straight up.

Godwin is a beast. I’ve got two insane deep threats (speed, possession); a consistent RB, and legit targets at both TE positions and at slot WR.



Madden is dumb.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 3198
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 am

Rocker wrote:Playing ‘17; because I’m a cheap bastard.

Franchise mode.

Traded DJAX to the Bears for a 2nd and and 5th.
Traded Martin to the Patriots for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.
Traded Charles Sims III to the Jets for a 2nd and a 7th.

Acquired Josh Gordon for a 2nd and a 3rd (3rd round pick is next years draft)
Acquired Thomas Rawls for two 2nds (overpaid, but the second 2nd is in two years)
Cut Stocker, signed FB Austin Johnson as a UFA.
Traded Chris Baker and a 4th for Poe; straight up.

Godwin is a beast. I’ve got two insane deep threats (speed, possession); a consistent RB, and legit targets at both TE positions and at slot WR.



Madden is dumb.



If anyone in the Pats building went to Belichick about trading a half eaten donut and a Nickleback CD for Doug Martin, they would need the whole offensive line to pull Hoodie off of that person before he died.


I finally did Longshot. It might not be enough alone to sell the game, but it was interesting. The voice acting was damned solid.
User avatar
terrytate
 
Posts: 2183
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:27 am

terrytate wrote:
Rocker wrote:Playing ‘17; because I’m a cheap bastard.

Franchise mode.

Traded DJAX to the Bears for a 2nd and and 5th.
Traded Martin to the Patriots for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.
Traded Charles Sims III to the Jets for a 2nd and a 7th.

Acquired Josh Gordon for a 2nd and a 3rd (3rd round pick is next years draft)
Acquired Thomas Rawls for two 2nds (overpaid, but the second 2nd is in two years)
Cut Stocker, signed FB Austin Johnson as a UFA.
Traded Chris Baker and a 4th for Poe; straight up.

Godwin is a beast. I’ve got two insane deep threats (speed, possession); a consistent RB, and legit targets at both TE positions and at slot WR.



Madden is dumb.



If anyone in the Pats building went to Belichick about trading a half eaten donut and a Nickleback CD for Doug Martin, they would need the whole offensive line to pull Hoodie off of that person before he died.


I finally did Longshot. It might not be enough alone to sell the game, but it was interesting. The voice acting was damned solid.


They need to make Longshot a 3-4 hour journey next game. Also having multiple positions that match different storylines (QB, RB, LB, WR, CB, DE) would help even if they keep the stories short. It was a great first step though.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 7292
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Madden 18

Postby The Outsider » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:12 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
terrytate wrote:

If anyone in the Pats building went to Belichick about trading a half eaten donut and a Nickleback CD for Doug Martin, they would need the whole offensive line to pull Hoodie off of that person before he died.


I finally did Longshot. It might not be enough alone to sell the game, but it was interesting. The voice acting was damned solid.


They need to make Longshot a 3-4 hour journey next game. Also having multiple positions that match different storylines (QB, RB, LB, WR, CB, DE) would help even if they keep the stories short. It was a great first step though.



The fact that Longshot didn't continue in to the NFL career was damn stupid.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 218 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Fantasy Sport/Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest