Random Mass Shooting Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:16 pm

CNN citing 20 wounded, minimum one dead
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:16 pm

DreadNaught

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:21 pm

one of the student was shot when he tried to run
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Parkland, where the school shooting occurred, was voted Florida's safest city last year
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:17 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:At least 20 injured people

Shooter is still at large,

Person of interest has been apprehended, looks like a loser based on his social media. But that hasn't been verified and he may be the shooter.

I see the gun control advocates are already at it. I think we all agree these school shootings are happening way too often for no action to be taken. But here is my question, what gun control measures would prevent a school shooting?

Turn every school into mini TSA screenings and you have far fewer shootings.

My question is why are these incidents increasing?
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Person of interest has been apprehended, looks like a loser based on his social media. But that hasn't been verified and he may be the shooter.

I see the gun control advocates are already at it. I think we all agree these school shootings are happening way too often for no action to be taken. But here is my question, what gun control measures would prevent a school shooting?

Because of the publicity they receive? Guns aren't more readily available. It's obvious that kids are seeing this as a viable vehicle for the message they want to send. I don't have a solution.

I'd like to enter a non-combative discussion on this if possible (probably not tonight as I have dinner plans).
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

My theory? Kids are great copy cats. They copy all the trends. The media has made school shootings into a trend. The more it's reported, the more kids see it. Sorta like the days of cough syrup abuse. Tide Pods abuse. So, it stands to reason that the more sociopathic the child, the more apt they are willing to do something as terrible as shooting up a school. After all, they see it happening more and more all the time. So, again, kids are great copy cats. How to stop it? That's the million dollar question.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Buc2 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

My theory? Kids are great copy cats. They copy all the trends. The media has made school shootings into a trend. The more it's reported, the more kids see it. Sorta like the days of cough syrup abuse. Tide Pods abuse. So, it stands to reason that the more sociopathic the child, the more apt they are willing to do something as terrible as shooting up a school. After all, they see it happening more and more all the time. So, again, kids are great copy cats. How to stop it? That's the million dollar question.

I can assure you the answer is not make it illegal to report these incidents. While there's a logical leap to that, we all should know why that's not ok and bad.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Because of the publicity they receive? Guns aren't more readily available. It's obvious that kids are seeing this as a viable vehicle for the message they want to send. I don't have a solution.

I'd like to enter a non-combative discussion on this if possible (probably not tonight as I have dinner plans).

I’d like to have a non combative discussion as well.

For the record I am a CHL holder, I carry daily and believe in protecting 2A rights, but I see that this is a real problem that needs to be addressed somehow. I only mention this because I don’t want anyone to get the impression that I am anti gun in any way.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I’d like to have a non combative discussion as well.

For the record I am a CHL holder, I carry daily and believe in protecting 2A rights, but I see that this is a real problem that needs to be addressed somehow. I only mention this because I don’t want anyone to get the impression that I am anti gun in any way.

I think the anti-gun crowd is welcome to this discussion. It's when people talk about banning guns and bringing up Australia or mass proliferation is where that goes off the rails. It can't be all or nothing, because nothing will always win in those cases.
uscbucsfan

Postby acmillis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 pm

I hope this is written incorrectly and meant to say wounded...but my local news is reporting at least 16 dead:

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/37506807/rep ... rkland-bso
acmillis

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:35 pm

17 killed damn
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Not 100% effective does mot mean not worth doing.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Did buc2 confirm of this meets the definition of "mass shooting" yet?
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:39 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
I see the gun control advocates are already at it.

Heartless bastards. Don't they know we should be offering thoughts and prayers right now instead of trying to figure out how we can stop over a dozen kids from being killed at school?
NYBF

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Sen. Bill Nelson told CNN the Florida shooting suspect wore a gas mask and had smoke grenades when he entered Stoneman Douglas High School.

"He went and set off the fire alarm, so the kids would come pouring out of the classrooms into the hall and there the carnage began," the Florida Democrat said.

It's unclear if the smoke grenades were used.

Shooting suspect mixed in with the crowd of students to try to get away initially, according to a law enforcement source.
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Sen. Bill Nelson told CNN the Florida shooting suspect wore a gas mask and had smoke grenades when he entered Stoneman Douglas High School.

"He went and set off the fire alarm, so the kids would come pouring out of the classrooms into the hall and there the carnage began," the Florida Democrat said.

It's unclear if the smoke grenades were used.

Shooting suspect mixed in with the crowd of students to try to get away initially, according to a law enforcement source.

What the hell could stop this?
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 pm

This is awful news.

I’d certainly be willing to listen to any arguments to help prevent this...sensible gun control laws (I’ve yet to hear one that would have stopped most of these shootings), using metal detectors at schools (but all this does to some extent is move the targets from inside the school to outside the school ... and indeed it might even create much larger dense masses for shooters), licking down all classrooms, etc. if we can figure out a way for any of these things to help, I’d be all for it

But we have to recognize that this is a societal problem at heart. We’ve always had guns, there weren’t always this prevelance of school shootings. Likewise other societies (while not having quite our level of gun ownership) do have fairly extensive gun cultures and these shootings don’t happen there...for example Switzerland had nearly 1/2 of the gun ownership rate yet they don’t have 1/2 as many shootings, etc. the Nordic countries also have high gun ownership and they don’t have this problem

For whatever reason, at this point in time students in America (and not other countries, nor at other times in our history) think this kind of murder is justified in their minds. We have to figure out what it is in our society that creates that mindset
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 pm

NYBF wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
I see the gun control advocates are already at it.

Heartless bastards. Don't they know we should be offering thoughts and prayers right now instead of trying to figure out how we can stop over a dozen kids from being killed at school?

Just sayin, bodies are still warm and we have trending hashtags. Don't take it personal, or do...

What gun control legislation would you propose that would have prevented this? What is your solution? Or are you just interested in more laws?

Personally I'm interested in discussing how to prevent school/mass shootings. Maybe making them more of a hard target is part of the solution? There are some common threads around mental health and mass gun ownership that are red flags. So that's a good start imo.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Just sayin, bodies are still warm and we have trending hashtags. Don't take it personal, or do...

What gun control legislation would you propose that would have prevented this? What is your solution? Or are you just interested in more laws?

Personally I'm interested in discussing how to prevent school/mass shootings. Maybe making them more of a hard target is part of the solution? There are some common threads around mental health and mass gun ownership that are red flags. So that's a good start imo.

Often after these incidents I request a non-combative discussion. It's rare that anything outside of one liners or unrealistic demands are made by either side and it's worse with elected politicians. Very few are interested in putting aside their differences to discuss this.

Both sides are angry, scared, and sad, but I think we should all put forth the effort.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 pm

A socratic approach to the discussion may be useful.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 pm

I really don’t think a solution exists. At least not in the short term.

you’d have a better chance trying to curb homelessness, honestly - which would probably save more lives than the random shooting.
RedLeader

Postby sanka » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 am

Meh just another regular day in America until the next one....move along now.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
sanka

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 am

Apropos of nothing, I have a harder time wandering into the local Sam's Club without talking to a rep and showing ID than I do my kids' elementary school.

Seems relevant.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 am

Was the kid on social media throwing out threats? If people know who is doing the talking and who is getting threatened, it should be a warning to be considered to be possible.
mdb1958

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 am

DreadNaught wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Just sayin, bodies are still warm and we have trending hashtags.

The thing is, this is such a common occurrence that the bodies are always still warm.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 am

MJW wrote:Apropos of nothing

Seems relevant.

Words. What do they mean?
NYBF

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:46 am

NYBF wrote:
MJW wrote:Apropos of nothing

Seems relevant.

Words. What do they mean?

You got the hell out of me there. I'm not apologizing, but Mea Culpa.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:01 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:My theory? Kids are great copy cats. They copy all the trends. The media has made school shootings into a trend. The more it's reported, the more kids see it. Sorta like the days of cough syrup abuse. Tide Pods abuse. So, it stands to reason that the more sociopathic the child, the more apt they are willing to do something as terrible as shooting up a school. After all, they see it happening more and more all the time. So, again, kids are great copy cats. How to stop it? That's the million dollar question.

I can assure you the answer is not make it illegal to report these incidents. While there's a logical leap to that, we all should know why that's not ok and bad.

I wasn't saying we should make it illegal to report these incidents.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:03 am

Buc2 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I wasn't saying we should make it illegal to report these incidents.

I know. I was just reiterating that.
uscbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion