Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:MB is right by including Reagan....Reagan grew the size of the California gov't by over 10% if I recall...I think I read recently that the average growth under his reign in California was 13%

just found it -- he grew gov't by 12.2% per year

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/11/gov-j ... t-californ

I was just being a smartass tho.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Reagan?

Do you not see the evil that's tied in with your education.

Would you like to talk about my education and what you think is evil about it?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 pm

And for what it's worth.... vote for John Morgan for governor bitches. You know you want that ugly ****ing mug on a portrait and not just on billboards.
Swashy

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Swashy wrote:Here's great ideas and ideology of the Republican party and what has actually happened

Republicans want strong, minimized government but we get dumb ass presidents like Trump and W

Republicans like a lassiez-faire approach to economics. And yet the wage gap, cost of living and disappearance of the middle class is greater than ever. AWWW GEEEZ! THANKS OBAMA!!! I mean **** it's not like he did stuff like continue the Bush tax cuts or anything. Oh...... wait....

They believe in strong military alright.... holy **** what a debacle we have had going on over there. Did we ever find those WMD's or what?

The Republican party advocates more strongly for veterans disability, healthcare etc than Democrats and yet probably half of our homeless are veterans. You really think Trump's gonna SERIOUSLY try to tackle that issue?

Republicans are more environmentally lax about things like drilling for oil but I'm sure we'll all forget about BP if we wait long enough. We better hope and ****ing pray nothing happens with the Keystone pipeline

Other ****

Remember how Trump as gonna BUILD THAT WALL?

Remember how Trump was gonna team up and get rid of Obamacare?

Do you think Trump gives any kind of a flying **** about the amount of debt the millennial generation is in due to college costs

This is why I'm a Democrat now.... they are a ****ing welfare state disaster but unlike Republicans they'll back up their game like passing same sex marriage, health care reform and protecting Roe vs Wade. The Republicans and Democrats are like two boxes of cereal. Open up the Democrat box and you have the wrong cereal inside of it. Open up the Republican box of cereal and you've got something totally different like used tissue paper.

Like I said.... I'm a reluctant Democrat. I agree more with Republican policy but I'm gonna tell you right now that Reagan is rolling in his grave. I'm not gonna spend the rest of my life waiting for Republicans to get their **** together. They WON'T. I'm hoping Bernie Sanders phenomenon will hopefully change the Democratic way of thinking and I'm gonna hold out hope that we get some positive direction there. He has good ideas. Right now it's better than nothing.

Dems have controlled the House 72 out of 84 years since 1933.

31 years for the Senate.

Yes the pansy Pubs have a reputation of giving in to the Democrats.

Its simple though, the news teaches you if a Republican president with a Dem controlled Congress - it the presidents fault

If its a Dem President with a republican controlled congress - Its Congresses fault

Study it and you will see it all lines up.
mdb1958

Postby Kress » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:
Do you not see the evil that's tied in with your education.

Would you like to talk about my education and what you think is evil about it?

You're a fan of the Mountaineers. That's a product of your education, and it's evil. /conversation
Kress

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Kress wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Would you like to talk about my education and what you think is evil about it?

You're a fan of the Mountaineers. That's a product of your education, and it's evil. /conversation

He's right MB... just take it as a quality loss.
bucfanclw

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Kress wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Would you like to talk about my education and what you think is evil about it?

Damn.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Pirate Life » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Virginia has 11 house seats in DC. 7 are held by republicans, 4 by democrats.

Without even looking, let me take a wild guess...

4 democrats = Northern Virginia area, Richmond area, Hampton Roads Area (Norfolk/Newport News/Hampton). In other words, the high population urban areas.

11 republicans = spread out over the rest of the entire state.

Yet both our US Senators are democrats.

Not quite. Northern VA has two democrats, two republicans. One, Comstock,is in a district that includes parts of Fairfax County and all of Manassas (does get extremely rural to the west of her district, though there's a ton of growth in Loudoun county). Hampton Roads Area is split, one republican, one democrat. Republican representing parts of Norfolk, all of VA Beach and the Eastern Shore (think parts of Chesapeake as well), so a pretty urban area as well (granted, heavy on the military population which tends to be conservative). One of the democrats for the state is in the rural area south of Richmond, down to NC border and across to the east to include Suffolk and parts of Chesapeake. Richmond itself is represented by Brat, a republican who ousted Eric Cantor.

Biggest problem for Republican senators in the state lately isn't so much Northern Virginia as it is the Shenandoah valley/I-81 corridor area. Republicans are losing support out there from people who don't want to see Dominion clear swaths of forest/wilderness to put up powerlines, and amusingly enough, civil war buffs who are/were pissed at the republicans for trying to allow Dominion to run lines through several civil war battlefields. There's some other decisions that have irked the people along there, but those are two of the big ones affecting the last couple of Senate elections. Lot of conservatives along there that love their wilderness and civil war history, along with just enough college students (UVA/VA Tech/Radford) and recent grads that lean liberal/democrat to sway things to the Dems from the conservatives not voting for state elections or voting for the dems (for the most part, the Dem senators have been pretty centrist rather than liberal, Webb especially - really wish he'd return).
Pirate Life

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:14 pm

All this talk about Virginia...you know what...**** Virginia...give their votes to the in-bred hillbilles in West Virginia who were on the winning side!!!!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Pirate Life » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:All this talk about Virginia...you know what...**** Virginia...give their votes to the in-bred hillbilles in West Virginia who were on the winning side!!!!!!

Fine by me, West Virginia is beautiful country. Haven't cared for my candidate choices since Webb decided not to run again here in VA. Have to admit bias for Webb though, he spoke at a reunion of Chosin Reservoir survivors that my dad was involved with, got to chat with him a bit. Between his speech and chatting with him one-on-one he didn't leave me feeling like I just spoke with a particularly oily used car salesman like I get when speaking to most politicians. Was before he ran for Senate, so can't say if he changed or not.
Pirate Life

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:04 am

I was through West Virginia after 9/11, on a road trip coming from NY. And of course, NY was lauded for it's "patriotism" in the face of those horrors, because of course it was. But when I was in West Virginia I remember feeling something special to their love of country that I'd literally never felt elsewhere. The didn't talk about it, or even live it. They were Americans to their cores and back again. They loved their country, and their lives, and their faith, and their families. It was one of those feelings I'll never forget the rest of my life and it was a genuine pleasure to spend time there.

I might have moved there if so many of them weren't gross also. Just because you have inspiring values or worldviews or work ethics doesn't mean you're exempt from brushing and flossing.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:45 am

Pirate Life wrote:
Buc2 wrote:
Without even looking, let me take a wild guess...

4 democrats = Northern Virginia area, Richmond area, Hampton Roads Area (Norfolk/Newport News/Hampton). In other words, the high population urban areas.

11 republicans = spread out over the rest of the entire state.

Yet both our US Senators are democrats.

Not quite. Northern VA has two democrats, two republicans. One, Comstock,is in a district that includes parts of Fairfax County and all of Manassas (does get extremely rural to the west of her district, though there's a ton of growth in Loudoun county). Hampton Roads Area is split, one republican, one democrat. Republican representing parts of Norfolk, all of VA Beach and the Eastern Shore (think parts of Chesapeake as well), so a pretty urban area as well (granted, heavy on the military population which tends to be conservative). One of the democrats for the state is in the rural area south of Richmond, down to NC border and across to the east to include Suffolk and parts of Chesapeake. Richmond itself is represented by Brat, a republican who ousted Eric Cantor.

Biggest problem for Republican senators in the state lately isn't so much Northern Virginia as it is the Shenandoah valley/I-81 corridor area. Republicans are losing support out there from people who don't want to see Dominion clear swaths of forest/wilderness to put up powerlines, and amusingly enough, civil war buffs who are/were pissed at the republicans for trying to allow Dominion to run lines through several civil war battlefields. There's some other decisions that have irked the people along there, but those are two of the big ones affecting the last couple of Senate elections. Lot of conservatives along there that love their wilderness and civil war history, along with just enough college students (UVA/VA Tech/Radford) and recent grads that lean liberal/democrat to sway things to the Dems from the conservatives not voting for state elections or voting for the dems (for the most part, the Dem senators have been pretty centrist rather than liberal, Webb especially - really wish he'd return).

Yes, quite.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/member ... sentatives

If you're thinking of Republicans Robert Wittman (VA District 1) or Scott Taylor ( VA District 2), neither of those districts are considered Northern Virginia. VA District 3 is Norfolk/Newport News (Hampton Roads) and that is Democrat, Bobby Scott. Democrat, Donald McEachin is District 4 which is Richmond/Petersburg. Northern VA is District 8 which is Democrat, Donald Beyer. Northern VA is considered to be the area to the west & southwest of D.C. Places like Alexandria, Falls Church, Arlington comprise that district. Virginia's 10th District is geographically located in northern Virginia, but is not considered NoVa politically because it is mostly rural.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 am

MJW wrote:I was through West Virginia after 9/11, on a road trip coming from NY. And of course, NY was lauded for it's "patriotism" in the face of those horrors, because of course it was. But when I was in West Virginia I remember feeling something special to their love of country that I'd literally never felt elsewhere. The didn't talk about it, or even live it. They were Americans to their cores and back again. They loved their country, and their lives, and their faith, and their families. It was one of those feelings I'll never forget the rest of my life and it was a genuine pleasure to spend time there.

I might have moved there if so many of them weren't gross also. Just because you have inspiring values or worldviews or work ethics doesn't mean you're exempt from brushing and flossing.

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:55 am

Top 10 gif
Zarniwoop

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:I was through West Virginia after 9/11, on a road trip coming from NY. And of course, NY was lauded for it's "patriotism" in the face of those horrors, because of course it was. But when I was in West Virginia I remember feeling something special to their love of country that I'd literally never felt elsewhere. The didn't talk about it, or even live it. They were Americans to their cores and back again. They loved their country, and their lives, and their faith, and their families. It was one of those feelings I'll never forget the rest of my life and it was a genuine pleasure to spend time there.

See MB, you would be the best fellow around if you would just....floss.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:07 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Image

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Swashy wrote:Here's great ideas and ideology of the Republican party and what has actually happened

Republicans want strong, minimized government but we get dumb ass presidents like Trump and W

Republicans like a lassiez-faire approach to economics. And yet the wage gap, cost of living and disappearance of the middle class is greater than ever. AWWW GEEEZ! THANKS OBAMA!!! I mean **** it's not like he did stuff like continue the Bush tax cuts or anything. Oh...... wait....

They believe in strong military alright.... holy **** what a debacle we have had going on over there. Did we ever find those WMD's or what?

The Republican party advocates more strongly for veterans disability, healthcare etc than Democrats and yet probably half of our homeless are veterans. You really think Trump's gonna SERIOUSLY try to tackle that issue?

Republicans are more environmentally lax about things like drilling for oil but I'm sure we'll all forget about BP if we wait long enough. We better hope and ****ing pray nothing happens with the Keystone pipeline

Other ****

Remember how Trump as gonna BUILD THAT WALL?

Remember how Trump was gonna team up and get rid of Obamacare?

Do you think Trump gives any kind of a flying **** about the amount of debt the millennial generation is in due to college costs

This is why I'm a Democrat now.... they are a ****ing welfare state disaster but unlike Republicans they'll back up their game like passing same sex marriage, health care reform and protecting Roe vs Wade. The Republicans and Democrats are like two boxes of cereal. Open up the Democrat box and you have the wrong cereal inside of it. Open up the Republican box of cereal and you've got something totally different like used tissue paper.

Like I said.... I'm a reluctant Democrat. I agree more with Republican policy but I'm gonna tell you right now that Reagan is rolling in his grave. I'm not gonna spend the rest of my life waiting for Republicans to get their **** together. They WON'T. I'm hoping Bernie Sanders phenomenon will hopefully change the Democratic way of thinking and I'm gonna hold out hope that we get some positive direction there. He has good ideas. Right now it's better than nothing.

Dems have controlled the House 72 out of 84 years since 1933.

31 years for the Senate.

Yes the pansy Pubs have a reputation of giving in to the Democrats.

Its simple though, the news teaches you if a Republican president with a Dem controlled Congress - it the presidents fault

If its a Dem President with a republican controlled congress - Its Congresses fault

Study it and you will see it all lines up.

Dude get out of here with that nonsense. A president's abilities have NOTHING to do with the balance of power in congress. It's how the president works together with the congress and not abusing power that determines legacy. Truman and Carter were poor Presidents with Democratically controlled congresses.

Reagan did fantastic with a split congress. Clinton balanced the budget with a Republican controlled congress. The Vietnam war is a black eye on LBJ but between him and JFK, those two men got more **** done than any presidents in American history with the passing of civil rights legislation, avoiding WWIII during the Cuban Missile Crisis, winning the space race and lowering the ****ing BOOM of American capitalism and some of the strongest economies we ever had. Back then... Democrats got **** done. That was not abuse of power, they did great jobs. As for Nixon, he was fine as a president, he was just a corrupt, paranoid ***hole. Ford wasn't around long enough to be an effective president so he gets a pass. For what it's worth, Ford got dealt a very shitty hand. Eisenhower (who just had to not **** anything up) had a democratically controlled congress and did just fine with them. Bush Sr. I think gets graded a little too harshly sometimes. Following in Reagan's footsteps is gonna be like trying to replace Belichick. Bush Sr. wasn't a BAD president just slightly below average. I mean really is this the point you're trying to make? Republican president, democratic congress? Allow me to refute that point.

Meanwhile Truman was not a good president and had a democrat controlled congress, Carter got dealt a shitty hand after Ford but was too wishy washy to be an effective president and got little accomplished with a democrat controlled congress too. It's not a wonder Reagan seemed like salvation. But the icing on the cake is George W mother ****ing Bush starting his presidency with a balanced budget and peace and by 2003 we're in a ****ing war and have a mini-recession. Then by 2008 it ended with an even greater recession, even greater war and God only knows how much debt and he had the republican controlled congress in the palm of his ****ing hand the entire time.

Obama's legacy is yet to be determined but there's probably a better than 50/50 chance he's going to score in the "good" to "very good" tier of presidents. And meanwhile the right will cry out and call him an anti-Christ for creating a welfare state when UNDER-employment was as high as 16.6% in 2010.

Dude I even posted a thread asking why I should ever vote Republican and I came up empty. Now we've got a **** flinging big head who calls third world countries "**** holes"

If Democrats capitalize on this debacle and turn things around like they did in the 1930's then we'll effectively see the extinction of "try to be like Reagan" Republican party and they'll have to reinvent themselves. Meanwhile once more of the liberal leaning youth (gee I wonder why?) starts voting more and more, it'll be that much bigger of a hill for them to climb.
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:07 pm

I seem to recall your question about whether to vote Republican or Democrat. If I remember correctly, the answer was to vote whoever aligns closest with what is most important to you. If your ideals and values have shifted left, then I understand the change. To say you still believe in conservative values/ideologies, but are voting Democrat simply because you don't like the candidates seems silly.

A person like Trump is difficult to root for. If you lean right and value less taxes, less social programs, smaller government, etc., but could never bring yourself to vote Trump...either write someone in, don't vote, or find someone third party that you can agree. I can't comprehend voting for someone who wants to implement things that you are against simply because they aren't as bad or however you related it to cereal. It either tells me that those conservative values aren't that important to you or you are being small minded and cannot see the big picture.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Hard to floss one tooth.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Kress wrote:
Hard to floss one tooth.

Zarniwoop

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

Was this ever misinterpreted. I wasn’t insulting you here, was trying to defend WVers against stereotypes actually.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Image

Was this ever misinterpreted. I wasn’t insulting you here, was trying to defend WVers against stereotypes actually.

It was all in fun. Relax.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Pirate Life » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 am

Buc2 wrote:
Pirate Life wrote:

Yes, quite.

If you're thinking of Republicans Robert Wittman (VA District 1) or Scott Taylor ( VA District 2), neither of those districts are considered Northern Virginia. VA District 3 is Norfolk/Newport News (Hampton Roads) and that is Democrat, Bobby Scott. Democrat, Donald McEachin is District 4 which is Richmond/Petersburg. Northern VA is District 8 which is Democrat, Donald Beyer. Northern VA is considered to be the area to the west & southwest of D.C. Places like Alexandria, Falls Church, Arlington comprise that district. Virginia's 10th District is geographically located in northern Virginia, but is not considered NoVa politically because it is mostly rural.

Ah, no. I'm in District 10. It's considered NoVa politically except for the far west of it. While land-wise most of it was rural, it's not that way any longer. Loudoun County's population is growing rapidly and the district includes parts of Fairfax County and Fairfax City. Toss in Manassas as well. Hell, the first transgendered delegate in the Virginia state house is representing part of District 10. Not sure if you can get more 'NoVa' politically than that since NoVa is usually considered to be liberal/progressive.

Can find folks who think Stafford/Fredericksburg are part of NoVa as well since lots of gov't folks are migrating down the I-95 corridor there.

District 3 is Newport News/Hampton/Part of Norfolk, District 2 also has part of Norfolk as well (and Virginia Beach in District 2 has the highest population of any city in the state).

My bad on district 4, forgot they redrew district 3/4/7 in 2016 to put most of Richmond in 4. Still, it's mostly rural when you get down to it. Lots of peanuts, corn and cotton. Used to be lots of tobacco. Should also be noted that District 4 was a Republican seat until the 2016 election, Rep Forbes did not choose to run again.
Pirate Life

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 am

Pirate Life wrote:
Buc2 wrote:
Yes, quite.

Ah, no. I'm in District 10. It's considered NoVa politically except for the far west of it. While land-wise most of it was rural, it's not that way any longer. Loudoun County's population is growing rapidly and the district includes parts of Fairfax County and Fairfax City. Toss in Manassas as well. Hell, the first transgendered delegate in the Virginia state house is representing part of District 10. Not sure if you can get more 'NoVa' politically than that since NoVa is usually considered to be liberal/progressive.

Can find folks who think Stafford/Fredericksburg are part of NoVa as well since lots of gov't folks are migrating down the I-95 corridor there.

District 3 is Newport News/Hampton/Part of Norfolk, District 2 also has part of Norfolk as well (and Virginia Beach in District 2 has the highest population of any city in the state).

My bad on district 4, forgot they redrew district 3/4/7 in 2016 to put most of Richmond in 4. Still, it's mostly rural when you get down to it. Lots of peanuts, corn and cotton. Used to be lots of tobacco. Should also be noted that District 4 was a Republican seat until the 2016 election, Rep Forbes did not choose to run again.

Awesome.

This means nothing to the rest of us.

Carry on as though it does, though.
Alpha

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 am

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26091/people-will-go-jail-releasethememo-trends-ben-shapiro#exit-modal

We're about to find out that while a foreign government was propping up one of our candidates, the FBI was taking orders from the other candidate's campaign, via the sitting President, to get his opponent elected instead.

I think about the bull we learned in school about how things work in this country, and I get angry
MJW

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:14 am

MJW wrote:https://www.dailywire.com/news/26091/people-will-go-jail-releasethememo-trends-ben-shapiro#exit-modal

We're about to find out that while a foreign government was propping up one of our candidates, the FBI was taking orders from the other candidate's campaign, via the sitting President, to get his opponent elected instead.

I think about the bull we learned in school about how things work in this country, and I get angry

Remember Obama on Jimmy Fallon I believe when he dropped the phone and said, referencing Trump’s tweet: At least I will go down as a President? Never in his wildest dreams, did he think Trump would win, so he basically thought he could do whatever he wanted and Clinton would cover for him and there would never be any investigations.

Loretta Lynch was supposed to sweep everything under the rug.
Brazen331

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:43 am

If true, the far left won't care. We'll have people defending those actions.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:13 am

Pirate Life wrote:
Buc2 wrote:
Yes, quite.

Potato potato. At best, you've got one Repub district in NoVa and it just so happens to include the only significant rural area in the entire north.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:31 am

MJW wrote:https://www.dailywire.com/news/26091/people-will-go-jail-releasethememo-trends-ben-shapiro#exit-modal

Matt Goetz is my congressman and I've met him. I'm here to tell you that he's an idiot and is being used here to put this thing out because he's a nobody from a safe district. He's so ****ing dumb I've even thought about running against him.

If I were you, I would be cautious with anything that moron says.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:39 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Matt Goetz is my congressman and I've met him. I'm here to tell you that he's an idiot and is being used here to put this thing out because he's a nobody from a safe district. He's so ****ing dumb I've even thought about running against him.

If I were you, I would be cautious with anything that moron says.

There are two salient points -
One, every Democrat in committee voted to suppress this memo.
Two, I count four different GOP Congressmen now who've tweeted about it and said it needs to be released because it's an atom bomb. Even if you discount the grandstanding, I doubt it's a small deal.

The only thing we don't know is what specifically it says, but from the context it really can say one thing.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion