Hall of Fame

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Hall of Fame

Postby terrytate » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
MJW wrote:Rice (I don't see it.)

Just curious why you don't see it with Rice?

He's got similar (some better) numbers than Strahan, who went in on his 2nd year of eligibility.

I know Strahan "did it" over a longer period of time, but Rice's best 3-4 years were just as deadly as Strahan's.

Agreed. There is only one guy ahead of Rice on the all time sack list who is eligible for the Hall and not in. Rice's career was 13 years but really only 10.In his 10 prime years he was as good as near anyone. He's got a ring, he's got multiple all-pro's and he was a key part of a legendary defense.
terrytate

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 am

In his prime, Rice was scary. When he wasn't leaping, that is.
Kress

Postby KiffininCanton » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 am

Kress wrote:In his prime, Rice was scary. When he wasn't leaping, that is.

and when he actually gave a crap
KiffininCanton

Postby KiffininCanton » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:58 am

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pass-rush/

Rice's career might not just be over yet.

Sure it sounds silly, but I mean, if only he had ties to a coach who will be coaching the league next year that loves players old enough to draw Social Security :idea:
KiffininCanton

Postby terrytate » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:03 am

KiffininCanton wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/25/simeon-rice-wants-to-play-help-buccaneers-struggling-pass-rush/

Rice's career might not just be over yet.

Sure it sounds silly, but I mean, if only he had ties to a coach who will be coaching the league next year that loves players old enough to draw Social Security :idea:

Maybe we should have called him. It's not like anyone else was getting to the QB or we are sitting on a cornucopia of DE talent that needs reps. If only we had Gruden, he'd have called Simeon.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:46 am

pewterpirates wrote:
MJW wrote:Rice (I don't see it.)

Just curious why you don't see it with Rice?

He's got similar (some better) numbers than Strahan, who went in on his 2nd year of eligibility.

I know Strahan "did it" over a longer period of time, but Rice's best 3-4 years were just as deadly as Strahan's.

Strahan got in that easily because he played in New York, had a huge personality, and has the single-season record. Otherwise, he doesn't.

John Abraham had a better career than either of them. He won't get in. Same with Leslie O'Neal. Rice's career was very similar to Robert Mathis, who won't get in. Ditto Clyde Simmons.

And as those of us who watched him know, he was...not great...as a run defender. In fact, talk about the liability he represented in the run game was pretty common when he was here. His wide loops and tendency to pin his ears back on every snap were not helpful to a run defense. We had enough speed at linebacker that it didn't matter much, but it doesn't help his case.

Hall of Great, not Hall of Fame. JMHO.
MJW

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:02 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:Rice was a run game liability (even by edge pass rusher standards) and would always give you the occasional not give a crap effort game

...and his numbers are still HOF worthy.

I mean, I'm fine if he never gets in. But, he's one of the best pass rushers the game has ever seen.
mightyleemoon

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:55 pm

I was checking to see when Ed reed would be eligible for the hall (because I am/was the biggest Ed Reed fan and imho, the best defensive player I have seen play in the last 20 years) and it appears that he will be eligible in 2020.

There is no doubt at all that he is a first ballot hall of famer (the best safety to ever play imho).

But I also noticed that Troy Palomalo is eligible in 2020. A) Do you guys think that Troy is a 1st ballot hofamer
B) Do you guys think that Ed Reed will prevent him from getting in (because the commitee won't put two safeties in at the same time)

What are you guys thoughts on this?
bahamian:bucfan

Previous

Return to Team Discussions