Head Coach Discussion Thread

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Head Coach Discussion Thread

Postby Naismith » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 am

My favorite options are the two coordinators in New England but I'd like to see them interview guys like Matt Nagy and Matt LaFleur and see if anyone blows them away like Sean McVay did with the Rams last year. I don't want them going into the search knowing who they are hiring and then carrying on a sham search.
Naismith

Re: Head Coach Discussion Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:54 am

Naismith wrote:My favorite options are the two coordinators in New England but I'd like to see them interview guys like Matt Nagy and Matt LaFleur and see if anyone blows them away like Sean McVay did with the Rams last year. I don't want them going into the search knowing who they are hiring and then carrying on a sham search.

I agree, but if Gruden is serious about coaching here again you can forget it.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:13 am

According to Alex Marvez of Sirius XM NFL Radio, the Lions could be interested in making current New England Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia their next head coach.

Quinn, of course, was in the Patriots front office before being hired by the Lions, so he knows Patricia very well.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:20 am

Keep Koetter. Keep Smith.

Get better talent.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:06 am

we will keep Koetter unless we sign Gruden
Jason Bourne

Postby PetePierson » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:53 am

It "looks" like Dirk doesn't even want to be here or coach at all. Zero enthusiasm or passion on sideline. He's Tony Dungy minus the players' respect.

"We just didn't execute".

Dude would probably be relieved if he gets canned.
PetePierson

Postby MJW » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:40 am

I made this post back in October. Not a ton has changed.

Pie In The Sky:
1) David Shaw, Head Coach, Stanford. Jim Harbaugh without the management squabbles. I'd give him a deal for 5-50, the GM of his choosing, a percentage of the franchise, whatever.

2) Jon Gruden, Former Buccaneers Coach. Probably where the list should actually begin.

One Of These Three:
3) Matt Patricia, Defensive Coordinator, Patriots. I have the best feeling about him of any of Belichick's assistants, ever. He reminds me of a smarter Rex Ryan. He's coached both sides of the ball and been with BB's staff for 13 years and 5 Superbowls. My only hesitation is because he wouldn't be a hire specifically to help Winston. He'd need a good OC. But I think you hire a leader, not a coordinator.

4) Dave Toub, Special Teams Coordinator, Chiefs. Before you say anything, John Harbaugh. Now that that's out of the way, Toub is one of the smartest and most respected coaches in the league, head, assistant, or otherwise. This hire would take some vision and some guts, but again - John Harbaugh. The fact his background is on special teams would make the OC and DC spots much more appealing to potential candidates, since he'd likely give them space.

5) Harold Goodwin, Offensive Coordinator, Cardinals. Goodwin is the guy I wanted when we hired Koetter. We in fact interviewed him, but it was obvious we had already decided who we wanted. The word you keep hearing about him is "leader." He has a lot of Bruce Arians's traits.

The Lone Retread:
6) Pat Shurmur, Offensive Coordinator, Vikings. He got a raw deal in Cleveland. He has an excellent offensive mind, and he's consistently elevated the play of his quarterbacks. He took Donovan McNabb, who has a lot of similarities to Winston, and coached him into one of the top quarterbacks in the league. The job he's doing in Minnesota is outstanding. If we hire a retread, he's the only one I really want. It's the opposite of a sexy hire, but when you look at his profile and the work he's doing, he deserves another shot somewhere.

The Next Generation:
7-10) Todd Downing/Matt Nagy/Matt LaFleur/Jim Bob Cooter. All young offensive coordinators. All doing a great job at their current spots. One or two of them are the next Sean McVay. You conduct your interviews and take your best guess.

There are some other guys we could talk about, but that's the quick list.

--------------------------------------------------

The only thing that's really changed is that Nagy's stock is in the crapper.
MJW

Postby NavyBuc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:45 am

whole lot if smoke starting to build up with the Gruden rumors. When then there’s this much smoke there’s usually some fire and truth to it. So I do think there’s a better than 50/50 chance Gruden winds up here next year, although he wouldn’t be my first option. Although reading twitter and listening to the game on MNF, it sounds like most fans want him back.
NavyBuc

Postby Swashy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:23 am

I've given this a lot of thought since last night and the only thing I really have to say is **** it. It should not and does not matter how many coaches you go through until you find someone who is actually good at it. I probably didn't say much here but I applaud the patience that Shad Khan had shown to Gus Bradley. But the right decision was made to let him go. And believe me it's all the proof anyone needs to not hang onto a bad coach because of continuity. Suddenly under Marrone the Jags are finally... FINALLY back in the playoffs. Because the truth of the matter is that Marrone was never a bad coach and he got a raw deal getting fired in Buffalo after a 9-7 season.

If Gruden wants to come back then let him. We have a franchise QB, a franchise WR and a good corps of players at that position too, two good TE's, a good LB corps, a secondary that might actually not be so terrible if it were not instructed to play 5 yards off of contact but no matter what we need new corners. The problem is we need a new RB (not that it would matter to Gruden) and better play in the trenches on both sides of the ball and something less than mediocre play at special teams.
Swashy

Postby Naismith » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:01 am

I believe if Gruden wants it, it's his job and any interviews around that hire would just be for show, but I hope if they do hire him, they go through a genuine process and decide he's the best for the job. I'm not a fan of his, didn't think he was very good when he was here, but having the kind of access he's had to all the smartest people in football for the last ten years, it's certainly possible he's learned a lot and will be better this time around. I also think it's easy to think you're returning to coaching when it's hypothetical and more difficult when you have to commit to it, so I could see Gruden deciding he still wants to be a color guy when it's time for the ink to hit the paper.
Naismith

Postby UbuntuBuc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:04 am

Regardless of the decision the team needs to do two things to improve:

1) Get better talent on defense
2) Get a better DC who is more aggressive and makes better use of the talent he has (I do not like Mike Smith).
UbuntuBuc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:12 am

Well if they do it, I'd expect the trigger to be pulled on black Monday to give Gruden the full off-season.

Dirk isn't stupid. I think he sees the writing on the wall.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Well if they do it, I'd expect the trigger to be pulled on black Monday to give Gruden the full off-season.

Yep. Agreed
Jason Bourne

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:17 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Well if they do it, I'd expect the trigger to be pulled on black Monday to give Gruden the full off-season.

If Gruden is all in on going back to coaching what are the chances Koetter is the Bucs HC in 2018?
PrimeMinister

Postby Beaves Oz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Koetter looked like a completley broken man in the presser yesterday. My gut feeling is he is done, and I’m still not sure how I feel about Chucky potentially coming back.
Beaves Oz

Postby Wesmon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:we will keep Koetter unless we sign Gruden

This is what I am figuring, bu if Koetter stays they will make him hire a proper OC to call the plays.
Wesmon

Postby Swashy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:38 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

If Gruden is all in on going back to coaching what are the chances Koetter is the Bucs HC in 2018?

Not very high at all. Less than 50/50 I'd say.

I'll be the first to admit that I overreacted on Koetter. A few weeks ago I was calling for his head but leveled out because I knew full and well that a year like this was more than likely to happen. It's like leaving the gate open to the back yard. You know that Rex can go though the doggie door to the back yard but hey, the gate's closed so big deal when he goes out. But you also know there's a chance that if the gate's left open he's gonna figure it out and once you look for him you'll find him in the neighbor's yard taking a ****. So you leave the gate open for just a minute because you're side tracked. Are you REALLY surprised when you see Rex popping a squat next to Mr. Wilson's garden? The way this correlates to us is that we overachieved to a 9-7 record on the backs of the best defensive effort we've seen in years and although we managed to sustain it, it was doubtful amongst at least some of us (myself included) it would remain sustained. For as pissed as I am we are 4-11 I should not be surprised and I need to put emotion aside because Licht has a precedent for completely ****ing up free agency and our on the field precedent has been mediocrity for years. I know this is a terrible analogy but it's the first thing I can think of to describe a situation where you know something can go wrong and you may as well not be shocked if it happens. IDFK.... maybe switch it to going through the drive thru of a place that gets your order wrong every time and suddenly you find it wrong again.

Combine everything we've seen with the special team's debacle of Folk and Aguayo that has managed to deflate both the offense and defense numerous times and cost us games, the Bucs have managed to completely mess this up. All of our momentum is pretty much gone. For the last 5 years plus, we can be summed into a quote of "Come to Tampa! Get paid and lose 10 games a year!" and this season has been no different. The fact Jon Gruden MIGHT want to come here is miracle and it's probably the last refuge of hope this team has of being taken seriously by fans, players and media alike before we officially return to our 80's status -not that we haven't already. Of all years we managed to **** up (blowing our Super Bowl title defense, the debacle of 2006 after going 11-5 the year before, going all in with Schiano to do nothing, going all in with Lovie only to finish 2-14) this one takes the cake.

Last but not least the Glazers are businessmen. They're gonna do what they thinks will make them money and if Gruden comes back there's a very high chance people are gonna buy into their fool's gold again. And at this rate it's all they've got and they might as well take advantage of the miracle of Gruden being crazy enough to want to come back.
Last edited by Swashy on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swashy

Postby Wesmon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:39 pm

NavyBuc wrote:whole lot if smoke starting to build up with the Gruden rumors. When then there’s this much smoke there’s usually some fire and truth to it. So I do think there’s a better than 50/50 chance Gruden winds up here next year, although he wouldn’t be my first option. Although reading twitter and listening to the game on MNF, it sounds like most fans want him back.

Yeah, I don't get why we would want Gruden. Our primary needs are to draft better and develop our young talent, which are the two things Gruden showed no ability to do while he was here.
Wesmon

Postby Caradoc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Our drafting has been quite good of late. People need to develop realistic expectations. Other than Aguayo there is little to complain about.
Caradoc

Postby Naismith » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:13 pm

You guys are a lot more optimistic for Koetter than I am. I think he's 0% to return, regardless of what Gruden wants.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Whoever the coach is next year, hope they don't change the playbook much.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:34 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Whoever the coach is next year, hope they don't change the playbook much.

I hope they do whatever it takes to eat a W.
Teitan

Postby sanka » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Enough of this Gruden ****...people act like he is Phil Jackson.
Find a young coach ...ala Rams and Eagles....recently Kyle Shanahan with Jimmy G.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
sanka

Postby Truebuc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:59 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Whoever the coach is next year, hope they don't change the playbook much.

That counts out Gruden
Truebuc

Postby Nano » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Why does it matter who the **** we hire? They'll just be gone in 2 years anyways :|
Nano

Postby Caradoc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:47 pm

This playbook sucks balls. The rule changes have made a short passing game much more powerful than this inconsistent crap scheme. It's also putting a huge stress on the OL having to protect for 5+ seconds every play.
Caradoc

Postby Teitan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:21 pm

sanka wrote:Enough of this Gruden ****...people act like he is Phil Jackson.
Find a young coach ...ala Rams and Eagles....recently Kyle Shanahan with Jimmy G.

Phil Jackson would be a horrible hire for the Bucs.
Teitan

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Teitan wrote:
sanka wrote:Enough of this Gruden ****...people act like he is Phil Jackson.

Phil Jackson would be a horrible hire for the Bucs.

Triangle offense tho
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:21 pm

What do people think about Todd Haley?
Bootz2004

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:25 pm

A few things I know:

1. Coach Gruden APPEARS to be serious about coming back.
2. Coach Gruden has stated that his preferred landing place is Tampa.
3. Coach Gruden has apparently contacted some potential assistants about joining a theoretical staff (Bill Muir has been contacted, I'm told).

It is definitely a lot of smoke.
DanTurksGhost

Next

Return to Team Discussions