** Official MLB Thread **

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ** Official MLB Thread **

Postby NYBF » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:51 pm

acmillis wrote:
NYBF wrote:
Starlin Castro and a Class A scrub are definitely going to pack the seats. 27th place here we come!

What's the definition insanity?

Thinking that dumping your best player for absolutely nothing is a better idea than trying to build around him.
NYBF

Postby acmillis » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:45 am

NYBF wrote:
acmillis wrote:What's the definition insanity?

Thinking that dumping your best player for absolutely nothing is a better idea than trying to build around him.

I agree with your thinking with maybe 10 teams or so in the league, but realistically, do you think the Marlins would ever "build around him?"

The Angels are trying to build around Trout, but so far, it aint working. The Marlins won't utilize the resources (money) to build around Stanton which is why I think it is smart to sell high.

I do get your point, but with this team, it just aint gonna happen.
acmillis

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Until MLB decides to implement a salary cap...nobody outside of 5 cities will give half a ****.

MLB is broken.

Meh...zero shits given.
Alpha

Postby NYBF » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:40 pm

You guys really think if MLB had a salary cap Jeter still wouldn't gut the team?

Do you really think teams like the Yankees who see a need and address it are a bigger problem than teams who just want to live off the revenue sharing checks?
NYBF

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:48 pm

NYBF wrote:You guys really think if MLB had a salary cap Jeter still wouldn't gut the team?

Do you really think teams like the Yankees who see a need and address it are a bigger problem than teams who just want to live off the revenue sharing checks?

Do you really think that a professional sports league that has no salary cap, doesn't benefit the teams in the higher revenue tv markets?

There is a reason why the NHL and NFL have teams that are competitive regardless of the size of their market.

Don't be naive. Baseball operates differently than the other 3 major North American sports. If you're ok with that, then more power to ya.

The rest of us give ZERO shits about MLB.
Alpha

Postby StillCSG » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 am

Jack Morris and Alan Trammell elected to Cooperstown...both long overdue imo

Jack Morris pitched the greatest game I ever saw in game 7 of the 91 series...
StillCSG

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 am

StillCSG wrote:Jack Morris and Alan Trammell elected to Cooperstown...both long overdue imo

Jack Morris pitched the greatest game I ever saw in game 7 of the 91 series...

Phantom Phenom

Postby NYBF » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 am

Alpha wrote:
NYBF wrote:You guys really think if MLB had a salary cap Jeter still wouldn't gut the team?

Do you really think that a professional sports league that has no salary cap, doesn't benefit the teams in the higher revenue tv markets?

There is a reason why the NHL and NFL have teams that are competitive regardless of the size of their market.

Don't be naive. Baseball operates differently than the other 3 major North American sports. If you're ok with that, then more power to ya.

The rest of us give ZERO shits about MLB.

You know both the NHL and NFL have salary floors.

The NBA has a soft cap, kind of like MLB. And you can see how that is benefiting major media markets like.... Cleveland...
NYBF

Postby Commander Bubbles » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 am

Alpha wrote:Until MLB decides to implement a salary cap...nobody outside of 5 cities will give half a ****.

MLB is broken.

Meh...zero shits given.

This is why, after much effort, I can’t get interested in baseball any more.
Commander Bubbles

Postby PlinkoBuccaneer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:57 am

Tigers traded Ian Kinsler to the Anaheim Angels for Troy Montgomery and Wilkel Hernandez.

Angels also won the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes last week, a rare player that is both a starter in both pitching and outfielder, and capably show, with his history and results from Japan as a two-way player, Angels optioning for a six-man rotation because of his presence.
PlinkoBuccaneer

Postby MJW » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:51 am

MLB has a crap-ton more parity than the NFL. The Astros and Royals have won the WS in the last three years, both small-market, low/moderate spending teams with awful history. In the last decade, 7 different teams have gone to the WS from the AL, and 6 from the NL.

In the NFL, in the last 15 seasons we've had one Superbowl that didn't feature Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, or Peyton Manning.

The Marlins are an unfunny joke but they don't represent the league on the whole. Most of the worst teams in MLB right now have been to a World Series fairly recently - the Phillies, Rays, and Giants have all gone in the last decade.

The Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers, for all the kvetching about their spending, have combined for 3 World Series appearances in the last decade.

The parity thing don't hold up anymore just because the Marlins are run like a ponzi scheme.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:52 am

Wait, since when is Houston a "small market"?
Bootz2004

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:57 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Wait, since when is Houston a "small market"?

Great point .. Houston is the FOURTH largest city .. [ranking by airport traffic] ... MJW is that term based alleged attendance?
Crocaneers

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am

Excited for the Cardinals getting Ozuna. I think he makes the line up much better. Hoping they get Machado without having to include Reyes in the deal.
SIBucsFan

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am

I’m not sure Id say Houston is small market but they are never top 10 in attendance, revenue, spending or franchise value.

In the bigger picture MLB does have more parity then the NFL or NBA even without a salary cap. I’ve got no issue with it’s current structure
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 pm

acmillis wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I agree with your thinking with maybe 10 teams or so in the league, but realistically, do you think the Marlins would ever "build around him?"

The Angels are trying to build around Trout, but so far, it aint working. The Marlins won't utilize the resources (money) to build around Stanton which is why I think it is smart to sell high.

I do get your point, but with this team, it just aint gonna happen.

I agree they should have sold high. Unfortunately, the sold as low as you possibly could without an investigation for conspiracy to have Jeter sell a league MVP to the Yankees for a sack of stale pretzels.

If the Marlins have a single fan after they are done with this fire sale, that person should be sent to MIT for a genome analysis so we can discern the idiot gene.
Ken Carson

Postby PlinkoBuccaneer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi, Bucs fans! :) Dodgers reacquired Matt Kemp from the Atlanta Braves for Charlie Culbertson, Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kasmir, and Brandon McCarthy.

Padres trade Jabari Blash to the N.y. Yankees for Chase Headey and Bryan Mitchell.

Padres also trade Enyel De Los Santos to the Phillies for Freddy Galvis.

Yankees also re-signed Carsten Charles Sabathia Jr., to an 1-year, $10 million contract.

All during the Winter Meetings. ;)
PlinkoBuccaneer

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 am

Derek Jeter fields complaints from Marlins season-ticket holders

MIAMI -- Derek Jeter held a town hall Tuesday night with about 200 Miami Marlins season-ticket holders, many of whom were angry about the direction of the team under his ownership group.

Some fans said they were upset about the way the payroll has been slashed and the team's biggest stars have been traded away. Some wore Giancarlo Stanton's jersey, honoring the National League MVP who was traded to the Yankees 10 days ago. Another shouted that Jeter spent "$1.2 billion and then ran out of money."

One broke down in tears as she asked why the Marlins let go of Stanton, Marcell Ozuna and Dee Gordon.

"I can't sit here and say trust me," Jeter told the fans, who were invited to attend the first in a series of town halls. "You don't know me. You earn trust over time. I know how organizations are sustainable over time. I know you have been through a lot. I can't relate to it. It's going to be a tough road. It's going to take time and effort."

Jeter calmly answered questions for 90 minutes. Asked if the team got enough in return for Stanton, he pointed out that they got $265 million of relief that will give them the flexibility to do what they want to do.

"We gave a gift, right?'' Jeter said. "I hope every gift I give returns $265 million.''

One of the most memorable exchanges was with Laurence Leavy, known to fans as Marlins Man. Leavy, famous for his orange Marlins jacket and his seat behind home plate, said he has been a season-ticket holder since 1993 and hasn't renewed because he won't pay major league prices for "a Triple-A team."

Jeter earned a laugh from the crowd when he told Leavy, "I'll let you throw out the first pitch with a 10-year plan."

The Marlins haven't had a winning season since 2009 and went 77-85 this year, but several fans argued that the team was only a couple of starting pitchers shy of contending and Jeter's group should have added talent instead of dismantling.

"You can't throw money at a problem and dig a bigger and bigger hole and not have any depth in the organization,'' Jeter said. "You have to build from the bottom up.

"I hear your pain. I know you've been through a lot. But we're trying to build something that is sustainable, and this is the only way to do it.''

The rookie owner disputed the impression that his group is underfinanced after buying the team for $1.2 billion. One fan said the dismantling leaves that impression and expressed frustration with Jeter's talk about improving the spectator experience.

"You act like you ran out of money,'' the fan said. "You're not going to win here with dancing girls. You're going to win with ballplayers who know how to win. The fans are alienated. They're upset. That's what you're dealing with here.''

Although Jeter has said he'll oversee both baseball and business operations, it's unclear to what degree he'll be a hands-on owner. With Stanton gone, he becomes the face of the franchise by default, but he has seemed reluctant to embrace that role.

When one fan told Jeter that she emailed her complaints to him, he recoiled in alarm.

"You don't have my email address,'' he said.

Jeter said the franchise lost too many games and too much money under previous owner Jeffrey Loria. He said it was not acceptable that they haven't made the playoffs since 2003. He was asked several times when the team planned to begin spending money again.

"We will add when we can add," he said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:55 am

Poor Jeter. First time he's ever publicly faced adversity and genuine dislike. Must suck to be rich and find out no one likes you anymore.
Ken Carson

Postby acmillis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Former Ray Wade Davis gets 3 year, $55m deal from the Rockies.
acmillis

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Pirates RHP Gerrit Cole traded to Astros in 5-player deal
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Pirates agree to trade 5-time All-Star Andrew McCutchen to Giants
Phantom Phenom

Postby acmillis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Giants tryna big to do what the eagles did a few years back; collect a lot of big names whose best days are already over. Didn't work out well for philky and I don't see it working for SF.
acmillis

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:52 am

Much love to Lorenzo Cain. One of my favorite Royals ever. Good luck to him in Milwaukee and I will be rooting for him and the Brewers to do well together.
MJW

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 pm

MJW wrote:Much love to Lorenzo Cain. One of my favorite Royals ever. Good luck to him in Milwaukee and I will be rooting for him and the Brewers to do well together.

They pick up Cain AND Yelich. I guess they're going to switch to the 4 man outfield in 2018. (Or maybe they'll find a way to dump Braun.)
mightyleemoon

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:52 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
MJW wrote:Much love to Lorenzo Cain. One of my favorite Royals ever. Good luck to him in Milwaukee and I will be rooting for him and the Brewers to do well together.

They pick up Cain AND Yelich. I guess they're going to switch to the 4 man outfield in 2018. (Or maybe they'll find a way to dump Braun.)

Who's the 4th guy
Bootz2004

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Who's the 4th guy

If I were managing them: Braun.

Well, actually, I would move Braun to bench and spell outfielders/Thames for days off while going everyday outfield Cain/Yelich/Santana. But, both Broxton and Phillips are worthy of a spot. So, who knows what they'll do. I'm guessing they'll clear the logjam with one of them as a chip in a pitcher deal.
mightyleemoon

Postby NYBF » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:50 pm

The Cleveland Indians will stop using the Chief Wahoo logo on their uniforms beginning in 2019, according to Major League Baseball, which said the popular symbol was no longer appropriate for use on the field.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/spor ... -logo.html
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:45 pm

NYBF wrote:The Cleveland Indians will stop using the Chief Wahoo logo on their uniforms beginning in 2019, according to Major League Baseball, which said the popular symbol was no longer appropriate for use on the field.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/spor ... -logo.html

So they are keeping the name "Indians" and just ditching the logo of smiling Chief Wahoo (a fictional character)?
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:29 pm

I want to go back to the Cleveland Spiders!!!!
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports