Players we should be watching (2018)

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Players we should be watching (2018)

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:05 am

With Minkah the same logic applies that applied to Jalen Ramsey. Any team drafting him that high sees him as a corner. We would too. I don't think Derwin James is as good of a prospect as Minkah is but he's easily the best pure safety in this draft. If you don't think a player like him could have an impact on a team, Troy Polomalu and Kam Chancellor would like to have a word. I'd prefer Minkah but would be thrilled with either.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 am

If Minkah establishes himself as a legitimate top CB during the draft process, I'd happily settle for him. Though I'm kind of buying into the Josh Jackson hype.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:23 am

real bucs fan wrote:If Minkah establishes himself as a legitimate top CB during the draft process, I'd happily settle for him. Though I'm kind of buying into the Josh Jackson hype.

all he has to do is run the 40 to prove that. Errbody knows he can cover.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 pm

real bucs fan wrote:If Minkah establishes himself as a legitimate top CB during the draft process,

How exactly does he do that.....without playing football
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I want to see how he measures out. If he's 215lbs and running in the 4.6s he probably is viewed as a safety. if he's a lean 200lbs and tests out of the gym, one would trust his abilities to cover the Julio Jones of the world a bit more, no?
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I want to see how he measures out. If he's 215lbs and running in the 4.6s he probably is viewed as a safety. if he's a lean 200lbs and tests out of the gym, one would trust his abilities to cover the Julio Jones of the world a bit more, no?

The people who actually know what they're doing and seeing would have gathered that information by now by watching his tape.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I want to see how he measures out. If he's 215lbs and running in the 4.6s he probably is viewed as a safety. if he's a lean 200lbs and tests out of the gym, one would trust his abilities to cover the Julio Jones of the world a bit more, no?

The people who actually know what they're doing and seeing would have gathered that information by now by watching his tape.

I don't know why the idea of wanting to see if he has CB measurables before declaring him a CB is unreasonable to you.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:44 pm

And to clarify, I stated in this very thread that I'm happy with him if he proves himself to be a CB. I just wouldn't draft him in the top 10 to play him at safety...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:05 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I don't know why the idea of wanting to see if he has CB measurables before declaring him a CB is unreasonable to you.

How about you look at his CB tape..
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Fitzpatrick was a CB at Bama for his first 2 seasons before switching to Safety this year, right? Jalen Ramsey started at Safety/NB in his first couple years at FSU before switching to boundary CB his final year there.

So it's very similar but a slightly different. But Fitz has CB tape to see and iirc was a very highly regarded CB coming out of HS. Not sure why Fitz moved to Safety, perhaps it had to do with the roster/depth at Bama. I don't think it was a lack of skill issue.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:32 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Fitzpatrick was a CB at Bama for his first 2 seasons before switching to Safety this year, right? Jalen Ramsey started at Safety/NB in his first couple years at FSU before switching to boundary CB his final year there.

So it's very similar but a slightly different. But Fitz has CB tape to see and iirc was a very highly regarded CB coming out of HS. Not sure why Fitz moved to Safety, perhaps it had to do with the roster/depth at Bama. I don't think it was a lack of skill issue.

I believe the timeline is Fitz started out a CB when he arrived at Bama but moved to safety for a few reasons, one being roster depth (Bama was deep at CB and Eddie Jackson got injured). He then moved back to CB this year. But he emerged as a top prospect mainly due to his play at safety- in addition to his CB skills. But whether he has the measurables to play CB in the NFL has yet to be determined.

Have said it multiple times already, but if Fitz proves to be a top CB prospect by having a Ramsey like combine, I'm happy with him as our pick. I just don't want to spend a top 10 pick on the guy and plug him in at safety.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:44 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Fitzpatrick was a CB at Bama for his first 2 seasons before switching to Safety this year, right? Jalen Ramsey started at Safety/NB in his first couple years at FSU before switching to boundary CB his final year there.

I believe the timeline is Fitz started out a CB when he arrived at Bama but moved to safety for a few reasons, one being roster depth (Bama was deep at CB and Eddie Jackson got injured). He then moved back to CB this year. But he emerged as a top prospect mainly due to his play at safety- in addition to his CB skills. But whether he has the measurables to play CB in the NFL has yet to be determined.

Have said it multiple times already, but if Fitz proves to be a top CB prospect by having a Ramsey like combine, I'm happy with him as our pick. I just don't want to spend a top 10 pick on the guy and plug him in at safety.

He emerged as a top prospect because he played 3 different positions for Bama at a high level. He's stated that he's more comfortable at corner but can play all 3. His tape at corner confirms this. Your infatuation with what guys do in shorts is a bit much at times. The guy played 12 games at corner this year and only won the Thorpe award as the nation's top DB. Not because of what he did at Safety but as a corner. No that doesnt guarantee anything in the NFL but him running the shuttle or 40 won't tell us anything we don't already know about him.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:54 pm

I've always felt the combine was overrated, see my posts last year regarding Dalvin Cook.

CB though is one of those positions where I absolutely feel it matters.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I've always felt the combine was overrated, see my posts last year regarding Dalvin Cook.

CB though is one of those positions where I absolutely feel it matters.

Gotta see him defend those telegraphed routes huh
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:08 pm

The NFL combine is important b/c it puts all these guys on an even playing field where raw numbers can be compared.

It's especially true for smaller school prospects that may have great tape to also show they have the same raw measurables as the the big school prospects.

But mainly it just checks the boxes these scouts need to check when doing player evals. Like if a WR has abnormally small hands, or a 1st round CB prospect runs 4.6+ (like Teez Tabor) it throws up a red flag.

Prospects know going in what ranges they need to be in for each event and what could potentially raise/lower their draft stock ($$$$).
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:I'm going against Ryan, Julio Jones, and Lutz in my first round fantasy match up. This game makes me nervous, so I'm staying away from it.

As for real football, I don't care and hope they tie.

You lost buddy?
Doctor

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Eric Berry would like a word with some of you. You can draft a stud safety and play him at safety.

For us I think it would just be a matter of getting your best 4/5 DBs out there. If we lose Grimes we'll probably make him a CB. If we re-sign Grimes, I'd much rather keep him at safety. Him and Evans could make a very nice tandem. Y'all also acting like safeties are some how easier to find than CBs, on the contrary, I think stud safeties are far more rare. There's a stud free agent CB available every year. Heck, Trumaine Johnson and Malcolm Butler will be Free Agents next year. Even a guy like Vontae Davis would be a good fill.
Doctor

Postby Alpha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:04 am

Brazen331 wrote:I’m fine with Fitzpatrick if the team thinks he is better but at CB.

WHY are y'all so focused on Fitz?

He IS going to be the first CB off the board. He is NOT going to be available whereever the Yucks pick.

Fitz isn't in this conversation.

Jeez...
Alpha

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:19 am

Alpha wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:I’m fine with Fitzpatrick if the team thinks he is better but at CB.

He IS going to be the first CB off the board. He is NOT going to be available whereever the Yucks pick.

Jeez...

This topic is players we should be watching. He's just 1 name that was brought up. We don't know if he'll be available when we select or not because with 4 weeks left in the season we don't know where we'll be picking. It's December. Extremely early in the process. Relax. Discuss some players.
Bootz2004

Postby Alpha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:33 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Jeez...

This topic is players we should be watching. He's just 1 name that was brought up. We don't know if he'll be available when we select or not because with 4 weeks left in the season we don't know where we'll be picking. It's December. Extremely early in the process. Relax. Discuss some players.

I have. And I prefer to discuss players who we have a shot in hell of taking. We can discuss QB's all day long, if you prefer...but it ain't happening so why bother?

Fitz isn't one of those guys.
Alpha

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:46 am

If only we had sucked more -------------------- hasnt started up yet.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:42 am

Warming up to the idea of waiting till Day 2 for a RB.

Really, really, like Damian Harris after scouting him today. Think he can be an excellent all around back. Between he, Guice and Love I figure one of them should be there for our 2nd at least.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:55 am

There is NO reason to select a RB early, UNLESS you have a shot at drafting a "blue-chipper"...Fournette, Elliot, etc.

We will NOT have that option.

When we end up with the 11th pick, we need to look at upgrading our O/D Line. We can draft a servicable RB later in the draft, if necessary.

Frankly, I think Barber is that guy but if y'all want another, have at it.
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 am

real bucs fan wrote:Warming up to the idea of waiting till Day 2 for a RB.

Really, really, like Damian Harris after scouting him today. Think he can be an excellent all around back. Between he, Guice and Love I figure one of them should be there for our 2nd at least.

Now you're talking.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:33 am

Barkley is a pretty special talent to be fair, but not only do I think that he will be off the board, but I believe Guice, Love, and Harris are pretty special as well and obviously would present better value.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:14 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Barkley is a pretty special talent to be fair, but not only do I think that he will be off the board, but I believe Guice, Love, and Harris are pretty special as well and obviously would present better value.

And I'll take Barber and a more talented O-line and beat your brains in every Sunday.
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Barber is looking nice, but he's not a guy who can just be the dude without a complement.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Barber is looking nice, but he's not a guy who can just be the dude without a complement.

He's the dude who can be a beast with a decent o-line.

Here's your hint: He's done pretty ****ing well behind the hot garbage we've rolled out there for the last 2 weeks.

You're welcome.
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Alpha wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Barber is looking nice, but he's not a guy who can just be the dude without a complement.

Here's your hint: He's done pretty ****ing well behind the hot garbage we've rolled out there for the last 2 weeks.

You're welcome.

Or perhaps... if you put a top guy behind that line....
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:31 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Alpha wrote:

You're welcome.

Or perhaps... if you put a top guy behind that line....

You can dress a turd in Armani...that doesn't make it any less of a turd.

The O-line is the turd. Just because you need it spelled out for you.
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk