In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select....

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the 2018 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Postby Super K » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 am

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Love had already been mentioned in this thread, my goal was to introduce some new names into the RB discussion.

Rashaad Penney from San Diego State is another guy. Haven't seen him play, but he is a Mid Season 2nd team All American.

Not a Penny fan, at all. He runs very upright, he tap-dances, and he's a short stepper. I'd call him a poor man's Michael Pittman.

I agree..
Super K

Postby Cheb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Here is Nelson during Notre Dame's loss to Miami.

He had, what, ten pancakes? Fifteen? The dude is nasty, and his defender never makes the play. He had maybe two bad snaps all game. His only big issue is that he can sometimes miss guys in space when pulling longer distances.

And oh yeah, he started every game at left tackle for Notre Dame last year.

I'm sold.
Cheb

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm

i only watched 5 mins...but that was impressive
Zarniwoop

Postby Konatown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Fansided had their most recent mock draft with us taking Oklahoma OT Orlando Brown Jr, son of former OT Orlando Brown. Dude is huge at 6’8” 345. I only watched a couple OU games but when I paid attention to him he looked pretty good out there. Maybe get him at LT and kick Smith to LG and have the biggest left side OL in the league?
Konatown

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Cheb wrote:Here is Nelson during Notre Dame's loss to Miami.

He had, what, ten pancakes? Fifteen? The dude is nasty, and his defender never makes the play. He had maybe two bad snaps all game. His only big issue is that he can sometimes miss guys in space when pulling longer distances.

I'm sold.

He will be a really good player but I didn’t think he had a good game . 1.17 he got put on his ass, looked kinda slow to me this game but miami has the defense going pretty good .
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 pm

I was very much on record that I felt that McCaffery was overrated last year, but I'm starting to crush on Bryce Love a little bit. IMHO he's better than McCaffery. Seems to do everything McCaffery can do, but has a little more power in his game to break tackles that makes a world of difference to me.

Lotta guys I like in the early/mid first right now. I think we're in a good spot to get a great player at either RB, OL, DL, or DB.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:42 am

real bucs fan wrote:I was very much on record that I felt that McCaffery was overrated last year, but I'm starting to crush on Bryce Love a little bit. IMHO he's better than McCaffery. Seems to do everything McCaffery can do, but has a little more power in his game to break tackles that makes a world of difference to me.

Lotta guys I like in the early/mid first right now. I think we're in a good spot to get a great player at either RB, OL, DL, or DB.

The thing is, the run blocking in Carolina has been horrible and Shula's nonsense scheme is making everyone but Cam look bad. Jonathan Stewart is a career 4.3 YPC rusher averaging 3.3 YPC this season. Just like Doug Martin (or Joe Mixon), McCaffrey is better than his YPC average, and he's on pace for 91-693 as a receiver. He's overrated if you were expecting Gayle Sayers, but who was?
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 am

Konatown wrote:Fansided had their most recent mock draft with us taking Oklahoma OT Orlando Brown Jr, son of former OT Orlando Brown. Dude is huge at 6’8” 345. I only watched a couple OU games but when I paid attention to him he looked pretty good out there. Maybe get him at LT and kick Smith to LG and have the biggest left side OL in the league?

Brown is massive and lumbering. I am a bit concerned about his ability to move. The Big 12 Is not known for it's defensive ends.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Konatown wrote:Fansided had their most recent mock draft with us taking Oklahoma OT Orlando Brown Jr, son of former OT Orlando Brown. Dude is huge at 6’8” 345. I only watched a couple OU games but when I paid attention to him he looked pretty good out there. Maybe get him at LT and kick Smith to LG and have the biggest left side OL in the league?

Brown is massive and lumbering. I am a bit concerned about his ability to move. The Big 12 Is not known for it's defensive ends.

Agree MB. Playing tackle in the NFL is not about guys like Zeus Jr or DJ Fluker or DONOVAN SMITH anymore. It's about having guys with nimble feet, lateral movement skills, and quick pop out of the snap. I would not be thrilled with this pick.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:55 am

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Brown is massive and lumbering. I am a bit concerned about his ability to move. The Big 12 Is not known for it's defensive ends.

Agree MB. Playing tackle in the NFL is not about guys like Zeus Jr or DJ Fluker or DONOVAN SMITH anymore. It's about having guys with nimble feet, lateral movement skills, and quick pop out of the snap. I would not be thrilled with this pick.

I think anyone that does take him is going to have to get him to drop about 30lbs.

He'll feel like greased lighting and still be a freak of nature.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:58 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I was very much on record that I felt that McCaffery was overrated last year, but I'm starting to crush on Bryce Love a little bit. IMHO he's better than McCaffery. Seems to do everything McCaffery can do, but has a little more power in his game to break tackles that makes a world of difference to me.

The thing is, the run blocking in Carolina has been horrible and Shula's nonsense scheme is making everyone but Cam look bad. Jonathan Stewart is a career 4.3 YPC rusher averaging 3.3 YPC this season. Just like Doug Martin (or Joe Mixon), McCaffrey is better than his YPC average, and he's on pace for 91-693 as a receiver. He's overrated if you were expecting Gayle Sayers, but who was?

Regardless of the excuses McCaffery might legitimately have, I wasn't a fan of his and thought he was overrated. Sure he's a weapon in space and has the skills of an Edelman in the slot, but he seems to get taken down the moment a defender gets his hat or hands on him.

Love on the other hand, can run up the middle, move the pile, and break some tackles. He also could be even faster and more of a home run threat. He's not used in the passing game the same way, so I'd give that to mcCaffery by a large margin, but overall I prefer Love. And if we're picking in the middle of the first, I think he'd be an excellent pick.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:18 am

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Regardless of the excuses McCaffery might legitimately have, I wasn't a fan of his and thought he was overrated. Sure he's a weapon in space and has the skills of an Edelman in the slot, but he seems to get taken down the moment a defender gets his hat or hands on him.

Love on the other hand, can run up the middle, move the pile, and break some tackles. He also could be even faster and more of a home run threat. He's not used in the passing game the same way, so I'd give that to mcCaffery by a large margin, but overall I prefer Love. And if we're picking in the middle of the first, I think he'd be an excellent pick.

If you'll recall, I wasn't much of a McCaffrey fan either, but I don't think the book is written yet for a lot of reasons. Plus, again, the guy is the best receiving back in the NFL, right now, as a rookie.

As I recall you also didn't like Fournette, so maybe slow your roll on the back-patting?

I haven't watched enough of Love yet to yield a comment on him. But I'm going to tell you the same thing I told you last year - I don't want a back in the first round, period. Can we wait to revisit all the same arguments, though? We'll have months.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:43 am

We're projected to be picking around 11th/12th. That is on the very high end for any Guard imo, but if Nelson is a can't miss prospect ala Zach Martin than I wouldn't hate it.

But there are 3 EDGE rushers in Landry, Key, and Chubb I'd draft over a Guard right now.

As far as RBs go, we should move on from Doug and give half of his $7m to a young vet like McKinnon in FA and draft one in rd 2. There should be plenty of good ones and imo rd2 seems to be the sweet spot for drafting RBs.

I think Oline coach George Warhop might have to go. Both Guards have been subpar this year. Donovan Smitn is still inconsistent, but atleast offsets those bad plays with plays where he dominates. I don't see any dominating plays from the LG spot or even Sweezy.

Whether is an Olinemen or RB in rd 2, this team MUST address the EDGE rush AND running game this offseason and it will take more than a draft pick. The Bucs have some nice pieces in place, but without an EDGE rush and run game it's difficult to play winning football.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:48 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Regardless of the excuses McCaffery might legitimately have, I wasn't a fan of his and thought he was overrated. Sure he's a weapon in space and has the skills of an Edelman in the slot, but he seems to get taken down the moment a defender gets his hat or hands on him.

If you'll recall, I wasn't much of a McCaffrey fan either, but I don't think the book is written yet for a lot of reasons. Plus, again, the guy is the best receiving back in the NFL, right now, as a rookie.

As I recall you also didn't like Fournette, so maybe slow your roll on the back-patting?

I haven't watched enough of Love yet to yield a comment on him. But I'm going to tell you the same thing I told you last year - I don't want a back in the first round, period. Can we wait to revisit all the same arguments, though? We'll have months.

Just to clarify I definitely did like Fournette but he was never a legit option at 19 (had him 4th on my big board FYI)
Last edited by real bucs fan on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 am

DreadNaught wrote:We're projected to be picking around 11th/12th. That is on the very high end for any Guard imo, but if Nelson is a can't miss prospect ala Zach Martin than I wouldn't hate it.

But there are 3 EDGE rushers in Landry, Key, and Chubb I'd draft over a Guard right now.

As far as RBs go, we should move on from Doug and give half of his $7m to a young vet like McKinnon in FA and draft one in rd 2. There should be plenty of good ones and imo rd2 seems to be the sweet spot for drafting RBs.

I think Oline coach George Warhop might have to go. Both Guards have been subpar this year. Donovan Smitn is still inconsistent, but atleast offsets those bad plays with plays where he dominates. I don't see any dominating plays from the LG spot or even Sweezy.

Whether is an Olinemen or RB in rd 2, this team MUST address the EDGE rush AND running game this offseason and it will take more than a draft pick. The Bucs have some nice pieces in place, but without an EDGE rush and run game it's difficult to play winning football.

I agree with most of this. Run game and edge rush need to be the priorities.

I also think McGlinchey will rise and be an option for us. Dude is a rare talent even if he's still ironing his game out. We could then move Smith to LG.

I could see Love falling to round 2 due to his size. I think he can be a star though. He and McGlinchey would be quite the draft haul IMO. I think edge can be addressed in FA (hopefully)
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 pm

DreadNaught wrote:We're projected to be picking around 11th/12th. That is on the very high end for any Guard imo, but if Nelson is a can't miss prospect ala Zach Martin than I wouldn't hate it.

Ew. You want a RB that is averaging 3.5 yards a career the last two years? No thanks.
Guice is the guy I want. If he's there at 12 or where ever, we should think about it.

We'll have plenty of cap space to go after a guy like Bell. That would be a big splash and a huge win. But knowing us we'll go for a guy like Hill and then try to hype him up. Sigh.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 pm

No FA RBs...at least none to be our main work horse...

Fresh legs..juice..burst

Haven't seen any in over 2 years..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:52 pm

I'm sold.

That is not an NFL LT. Donovan Smith had better tape in college. He's nasty, I'll give you that. But his balance is terrible, he's not very athletic on the edge, not a fan of his hand placement either. He keeps that up it'll be holding or hands to the face every other drive. I'd like him at guard. We have a severe lack of talent there. But tackle, no way.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:29 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

I'm sold.

That is not an NFL LT. Donovan Smith had better tape in college. He's nasty, I'll give you that. But his balance is terrible, he's not very athletic on the edge, not a fan of his hand placement either. He keeps that up it'll be holding or hands to the face every other drive. I'd like him at guard. We have a severe lack of talent there. But tackle, no way.

Nelson is the left guard.

Nice take on McGlinchey though, Cheb isn't impressed with him either.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 pm

If we go on a win streak and pick late teens, McGlinchey would definitely be on my radar, but not if we are picking top 10. I do think he's a very legit LT prospect though. He's a great piece of clay, and I think a great OL coach could turn him into a very good NFL LT.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm

So not us...
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:51 pm

I mention this every year, but using SOS as the tiebreaker for draft order is pretty awful. A tough SOS is punishment enough, using it to punish teams with a harder schedule on draft makes it even worse. And as usual, are brutal SOS is going to probably cost us 4-5 draft slots.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:07 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I mention this every year, but using SOS as the tiebreaker for draft order is pretty awful. A tough SOS is punishment enough, using it to punish teams with a harder schedule on draft makes it even worse. And as usual, are brutal SOS is going to probably cost us 4-5 draft slots.

That's a lot of draft slots. How many ties are you expecting??

I'd say there is a 56% chance we are drafting between 5-8.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Doctor wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I mention this every year, but using SOS as the tiebreaker for draft order is pretty awful. A tough SOS is punishment enough, using it to punish teams with a harder schedule on draft makes it even worse. And as usual, are brutal SOS is going to probably cost us 4-5 draft slots.

That's a lot of draft slots. How many ties are you expecting??

I'd say there is a 56% chance we are drafting between 5-8.

There's usually 4-5 teams with the same record when talking the 4-12 to 6-10 range.
real bucs fan

Postby theBKwhopper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm

I'd like to get one of the pass rushers or offensive tackles. But, Barkley is very tempting if he falls to us.
theBKwhopper

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm sold.

Hopefully, we don't win ourselves out of position to take this cat. He is a monster.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at LG and moving Marpet back to RG.

You might have the beginnings of something there...
Alpha

Postby Doctor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:56 am

Alpha wrote:

I'm sold.

Hopefully, we don't win ourselves out of position to take this cat. He is a monster.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT? Have you seen our center play? Marpet is the best thing to happen to us at center in a long time. And Sweezy is doing a well at RG, which (like most thing OL related) should only get even better with more time with the unit. Unfortunately, his side-mates are on IR for the rest of the year.
Doctor

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:51 am

Doctor wrote:
Alpha wrote:

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT? Have you seen our center play? Marpet is the best thing to happen to us at center in a long time. And Sweezy is doing a well at RG, which (like most thing OL related) should only get even better with more time with the unit. Unfortunately, his side-mates are on IR for the rest of the year.

Glad you asked.

Let me qualify by saying that Marpet was doing a fine job. This is no knock on him or his ability at center.

The problem is with Sweezy. Watch some All 22 (thanks to Cheb for the link) and focus on our o-line play. Specifically Sweezy.

I'm not saying it's because of residual effects of whatever is/was going on with his back...but he's not very good. He's not even "ok". He's stiff. He is almost always the top guy (bottom guy wins). He has (at least this year) a very real problem of getting leverage against the lower guy. WHEN he gets momentum or leverage advantage (which isn't very often), he does well and finishes like a beast.

I don't have the stats to back this up but from the "eye test"...we run left WAY more often than right. I don't think that's by accident.

Marpet was already a Pro-Bowl quality RG. Koetter's rationale (if you remember) behind moving him to Center was to get our "5 best players on the field".

IF Sweezy is one of our "5 best" (and I'm assuming Koetter wan't lying about his intentions), then our o-line is in very bad shape.

Nelson (according to EVERYTHING I've read), has NFL scouts drooling. One of the best prospects to come out in many, many years.

We can find a capable center. Hawley is one such guy...but we can FA a good one. Maybe they intend to keep Marpet at center...and that's fine. We STILL need quality guard play...and beleive me...we aren't getting it consistently.
Alpha

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:44 pm

I really think we're going to luck out. Last year we had one of the top talents to the draft fall to us, I think the same will happen here. IMO, there are only three truly elite players in this draft- Fitz, Barkley, and Nelson. All of whom can fall because of "the position they play". We'd be damn lucky too. I also really like Guice, like Cook the year prior, he's not quite on that next level tier like Barkley and Fournette, but he's damn close enough and I think he'll be incredible.

I'd also love to trade down for a nice haul. There are A LOT of really nice QBs in this draft. And while many of the QB needy teams are in front of us (Browns, Giants, Broncos) hopefully enough will be behind us and want to move up (Browns again, Jets, Cardinals, Bills). This is a great draft to trade down.
Doctor

Postby Alpha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:16 am

Doctor wrote:I really think we're going to luck out. Last year we had one of the top talents to the draft fall to us, I think the same will happen here. IMO, there are only three truly elite players in this draft- Fitz, Barkley, and Nelson. All of whom can fall because of "the position they play". We'd be damn lucky too. I also really like Guice, like Cook the year prior, he's not quite on that next level tier like Barkley and Fournette, but he's damn close enough and I think he'll be incredible.

I'd also love to trade down for a nice haul. There are A LOT of really nice QBs in this draft. And while many of the QB needy teams are in front of us (Browns, Giants, Broncos) hopefully enough will be behind us and want to move up (Browns again, Jets, Cardinals, Bills). This is a great draft to trade down.

I think a lot rides on Darnold's decision. I've heard things (nationally), that has Darnold going back to USC for his senior season. IF he declares, that (IMO) would hurt our chances of a stud slipping. Regardless...us winning another game would hurt more.
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk