Firearms

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Your stance:

ALL firearms should be legal and available to the public.
19%
All currently legal firearms should remain legal (screening as is).
11%
All currently legal firearms should remain legal with more strict screening.
53%
Ban ALL firearms.
8%
Ban semi-automatic handguns and rifles that have a removable magazine.
8%
Don't know / Don't care.
No votes

Total votes : 36

Re: Firearms

Postby Buccs99 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:26 pm

NYBF wrote:
Buccs99 wrote:- Ban them and someone will get their hands on them for these atrocities or find other forms. the vehicle mow downs in Europe are a good example of that. bombings. other horrible acts. which ties back to the laws. it's so damn tough to make more laws, you almost have a leave them alone or ban everything ultimatum. Which in that case, the latter has no chance.

Yeah, Australia is basically red from the blood spilled there on a daily basis.

Since 1996 homicides dropped only 20%. even stricter laws were put in place in 2002. population has since grown as well in australia since 1996 and in 2012, saw a large spike in homicides, despite the bans. did it help ? yes.

but the reason that gun law was put into place was because of a mass shooting. something this country has seen a handful of times, yet is still an uncommon occurance. should we be looking at the people in this country over the guns ? the mental state of these people...something isnt right. outcasts, religious fanatics, racially fueled..maybe we should take a look at the way we are as a country than saying it's 100% the guns fault. seems to me to be the easy way out of a situation that still isnt fixed.
Buccs99

Postby NYBF » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Buccs99 wrote:but the reason that gun law was put into place was because of a mass shooting. something this country has seen a handful of times, yet is still an uncommon occurance.

Wait...

Australia put their ban in place "because of a mass shooting"? *A* mass shooting? Just one? And they put the law in place?

And you're trying to make the argument that it happens less often here?

Can you define an "uncommon occurrence" for me?

This is 2015:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/us/h ... -show.html

That's pretty ****ing often.

And just inc ase you think maybe those number are skewed and since 2015 everything is OK, well... here:

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Unless your definition of "mass shooting" is only when some lunatic lights up 50+ people. Then maybe you're right. They just don't happen that often here.

I'm not saying an outright ban is an answer, but to even suggest that mass shootings don't happen that often in the US is just outright lying.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:The NRA is suggesting the ATF review bump stocks and potentially add additional regulation to them and similar devices

Their statement...

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buccs99 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

you're right, over the past 5-10 years, mass shootings are up exponentially...but still over the course of 50-60 years, not common. we had guns then...why is it a problem now ?

People killed in mass shootings make up less than half of 1 percent of the people shot to death in the United States. More than half of gun deaths every year are suicides. In 2015, more than 12,000 people have been killed by guns, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

do we have an issue with gun violence in this country ? yes. im still in the minority of "gun violence" being defined of a violent HUMAN using guns to kill. to me, this could be just as easily defined as "knife violence" or "baseball bat violence". it's an issue with our country more so than anything.

also, im not saying it happens less often here. thats factual that it is not, considering australia has not had one since 1996. when you look at the spectrum of "gun violence" only a small percentage is from one of these incidents. also the term lunatic is applied to not just those that kill multiple people. if youre willing to kill just one person because of your sick behavior...you're a lunatic.

also, suicide deaths inflate gun deaths in this country greatly. ****ing sad. more reason we need to deep dive into other things than weapons to blame.

appreciate a good debate with an old member. gotta run though. 5pm rush hour is a bitch. have a good one NYBF
Buccs99

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Ya know, I hate olives. Seriously, I HATE olives.

But that olive brine is exactly what a martini needs. Just a bar spoonful is all you need.
Mountaineer Buc

Previous

Return to Off Topic