The Kicker Battle: Folk v Aguayo

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: The Kicker Battle: Folk v Aguayo

Postby beardmcdoug » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:29 pm

Doctor wrote:Bobby said he was "unlucky" on his misses. Unlucky?? Unlucky?? I think I've been one of the more patient fans when it comes to Aguayo, but trying to frame misses as a matter of luck and thus out of your control is simply an indefensible bitch move. I probably would've still let the battle play out three more weeks, if nothing else to still push Folk, but he lost all respect with that comment.

Agreed. Shifting blame like that is an indefensible bitch move
beardmcdoug

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Doctor wrote:Bobby said he was "unlucky" on his misses. Unlucky?? Unlucky?? I think I've been one of the more patient fans when it comes to Aguayo, but trying to frame misses as a matter of luck and thus out of your control is simply an indefensible bitch move. I probably would've still let the battle play out three more weeks, if nothing else to still push Folk, but he lost all respect with that comment.

MIssing a PAT has NOTHING to do with luck. And TBH (this is not meant to be a brag -- more of a sad realization) the moment he missed that PAT, I said out loud: "He's gone".
DanTurksGhost

Postby Nano » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:00 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:

MIssing a PAT has NOTHING to do with luck. And TBH (this is not meant to be a brag -- more of a sad realization) the moment he missed that PAT, I said out loud: "He's gone".

TBH, I think he stays if he made that last FG. Koetter kind of set it up as a redeeming shot(Prove to and that the kid can make the longer FGs). When he missed...it just showed it wasn't worth it
Nano

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Nano wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

TBH, I think he stays if he made that last FG. Koetter kind of set it up as a redeeming shot(Prove to and that the kid can make the longer FGs). When he missed...it just showed it wasn't worth it

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. The missed PAT was MY reaction, not what I expected the coaches to do. Folk made a 45-yarder. Aguayo missed a PAT, so at the end of the game I'm sure the coaches said: "Well, the missed PAT was bad, so let's just go ahead and let Roberto take a shot at a similar FG to the one Folk made. If he makes it, we can keep him around for another week".

I agree that had Roberto made that last FG he probably wouldn't have been cut (yet).
DanTurksGhost

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm

There's him and the ball. How could he be unlucky?
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:45 pm

real bucs fan wrote:There's him and the ball. How could he be unlucky?

Holder, snapper, field conditions, wind, horoscope. All sorts of stuff.
Cheb

Postby Swashy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:34 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:

You're not bragging at all. I would've said the exact same thing if I hadn't left to take a leak after the TD. Unfortunately for me I've got almost 20 years of conditioning that tells me I should be able to turn my back and expect a 10-3 ballgame because a PAT is one of the more simple things there is.

This makes me laugh because people (I think Pete in particular) would crucify Raheem Morris for special teams over so much less than what Aguayo has done.
Swashy

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Cheb wrote:

Well there weren't any issues with the first 4 things that I could see...
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Cheb wrote:

Horoscope :lol:
Yeah, but that clearly wasn't the case here. He just LOOKED bad kicking it. That first miss got in his head and he went right back into a mental pit. The motion was jerky and awkward.

I agree, DK totally gave him a redemption kick. Good for him. And even with the miss, I could still see giving him maybe another week. But that comment.... luck... dude, you're problem hasn't been luck. And if you think it has been, then you never had a shot at fixing it.
Doctor

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:08 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Patrick McIrish wrote:Not reading the thread, if Licht is here Aguayo is here. I'm sure everyone has it wrong AGAIN.

Dread - it's not about dollar and cents, not this decision. This trumps money, this is pride or what passes for it in Licht's world......

This is about burning the draft pick. This is about somehow trying to get some redemption if the kid has a good season.

Had another GM brought him in the kid would have been cut last year.

Thanks for coming to town, train leaves in an hour Folk.

Apparently this post is almost completely i error in every possible way.

Lol
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Years ago the TB lightning used to have area of where you could kick Fgs and stuff at intermission or before games and you would get free tickets (nosebleed section) . I got a lot of free tickets . Most nights I would take off my cowboy boots and kick barefoot with sock on . Made 2 in a row on a lot of nights . It was only 20-25 yards but still .
No excuse for a pro to be that inaccurate.
Jason Bourne

Postby Babeinbucland » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:56 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Patrick McIrish wrote:Not reading the thread, if Licht is here Aguayo is here. I'm sure everyone has it wrong AGAIN.

Dread - it's not about dollar and cents, not this decision. This trumps money, this is pride or what passes for it in Licht's world......

This is about burning the draft pick. This is about somehow trying to get some redemption if the kid has a good season.

Had another GM brought him in the kid would have been cut last year.

Thanks for coming to town, train leaves in an hour Folk.

It's as if he doesn't know much about football
Babeinbucland

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Cool, so I don't suck at golf. I'm just "unlucky"....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

It's as if he doesn't know much about football

If only there was a term to describe a fan who only watches football casually...
real bucs fan

Postby Swashy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:

Cool, so I don't suck at golf. I'm just "unlucky"....

Only if you have play with Delt. Then it won't matter how much luck you have
Swashy

Postby Nano » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Is Folk the future for us or just another 1 year band aid?
Nano

Postby GottaJaboo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Folk is not the answer. There has to be someone out there that can do this gig with consistency.

Pathetic.
GottaJaboo

Postby Swashy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 pm

All we had to do was stick with Barth
Swashy

Postby Cheb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 pm

GottaJaboo wrote:Folk is not the answer. There has to be someone out there that can do this gig with consistency.

Pathetic.

We let Matt Bryant and Connor Barth walk for literally nothing, then burned a second round pick on one of the most frustratingly befuddling draft selections of all time. We kinda deserve our shitty kicking karma.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Folk is solid. He's not going to be some major weapon for us, but he's going to hit the kicks he's supposed to.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Cheb wrote:
GottaJaboo wrote:Folk is not the answer. There has to be someone out there that can do this gig with consistency.

Pathetic.

We let Matt Bryant and Connor Barth walk for literally nothing, then burned a second round pick on one of the most frustratingly befuddling draft selections of all time. We kinda deserve our shitty kicking karma.

Cutting Matt Bryant after his child died definitely deserves shitty karma.
real bucs fan

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:23 am

I hope whomever we draft to replace Folk next year doesn't suck.
Deja Entendu

Postby Doctor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 am

I hate when people act like the Bryant that's kicking in Atlanta was the same one that was kicking here. Atlanta Bryant has been FAR better than what he was here or in NY. May as well cry about letting Steve Young go.

Anyways, this thread should be renamed Searching for a Kicker, mostly because it has too much gold in it and I don't think we need another thread on kickers. Not that this battle is over I want to shift the conversation some.

Do you think Folk will be the Bucs kicker in 2017?

There are a lot of kicking battles happening right now and the losers will be looking for jobs. There are a few interesting ones to keep an eye on

Giants have Aldrick Rosas and Mike Nugent battling it out right now. Nugent being another former Buc and second rounder. He's also at the same age Bryant was when he "turned it on". Rosas is the new kid and if it remains close may be picked simply for his youth.

The Vikings have an interesting battle going on as well. Our boy Kai Forbath was 15/15 last year on FG's and he's currently trying to fend off Marshall Koehn. Koehn lost the battle to Franks in Miami last year, though some obviously think the Fish went with the wrong kicker there. For those that are confused by the "our boy" comment, Kai lost the job to Conor Barth here in 2012 despite not missing a kick all preseason.

Overall, just because they aren't kicking here doesn't mean other kickers aren't also competing for our job. So do you guys think we stick with Folk or is our 2017 kicker not on the roster yet?
Doctor

Postby Caradoc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:16 am

Barring major screw-ups I think Folk has the year. He came for a fair competition and as long as he isn't horrible, he won the job. Next year is open season though.
Caradoc

Postby ComingThisFall » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 am

Jason Bourne wrote:Years ago the TB lightning used to have area of where you could kick Fgs and stuff at intermission or before games and you would get free tickets (nosebleed section) . I got a lot of free tickets . Most nights I would take off my cowboy boots and kick barefoot with sock on . Made 2 in a row on a lot of nights . It was only 20-25 yards but still .

I remember this, I was prob 11 or 12 at the time. Won tix to a handfull of games this way. iirc, the whole general admission seating area up there was first come first serve. This definitely favored the kids who would just run up there as soon as the gates opened and claim the best seats. What a **** show.

Also. Good Riddance Roberto
ComingThisFall

Postby MJW » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:51 am

Swashy wrote:All we had to do was stick with Barth or Bryant or maybe even Patrick friggin' Murray while we're at it.

FIFY.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:56 am

MJW wrote:
Swashy wrote:All we had to do was stick with Barth or Bryant or maybe even Patrick friggin' Murray while we're at it.

FIFY.

You're on to something. We need to stick with someone. If our philosophy is kickers can't be developed then by all means, get a new one every week. It'll fail but in the end you'll stick to your philosophy. But every time there's a small struggle our kicker goes thru we can him. What if the Packers had done that with Mason Crosby or the Falcons with Matt Bryant or the Colts with Vinitari? Our problem like any other time is we can't seem to get out of our own way.

Now fast forward to Thursday. If Nick Folk goes 1-3 and misses an XP in the process would anyone be surprised if he's looking for a job 24 hours later?
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 am

Bucs holding tryouts to bring in a second kicker to keep the competition going.
Doctor

Postby Buc2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Years ago the TB lightning used to have area of where you could kick Fgs and stuff at intermission or before games and you would get free tickets (nosebleed section) . I got a lot of free tickets . Most nights I would take off my cowboy boots and kick barefoot with sock on . Made 2 in a row on a lot of nights . It was only 20-25 yards but still .

Cool. The Bandits used to do that too.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:39 pm

I think Folk is competing against someone on another NFL roster currently. If Folk nails his kicks the rest of the preseason the job is his. If not I could definitely see us signing someone when rosters are cut down to 53.
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions