Inside Jason Lichts Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Inside Jason Lichts Draft

Postby threadkiller » Thu May 18, 2017 10:59 am

The lower/middle tier of the rosters don't seem to have felt a significant increase as the overall cap has continued to rise over the last few years. I expected the entire FA market to feel significant inflation as teams have had "unexpected" room to play with year after year now. I haven't noticed that however, and continue to be surprised at how low the $ amount is on most of the 1 year deals that are signed by relatively proven vets.
threadkiller

Postby Teitan » Thu May 18, 2017 12:42 pm

threadkiller wrote: I haven't noticed that however, and continue to be surprised at how low the $ amount is on most of the 1 year deals that are signed by relatively proven vets.

I'm not. That's just the way the NFL is now. Kids are coming out of college bigger, stronger, more athletic, and more prepared to play in the NFL. When you can get solid play out of younger/cheaper options, those vets are going to suffer. They still have a place, but not like they used to.
Teitan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu May 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Kinda making my point, Doc.

The Colts are a mess because they don't draft well and don't get much out of their free agents.

The Raiders, on the other hand draft exceptionally well and I would say are comparable to us in free agency.

The Packers draft well and don't do much in free agency at all.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Kinda making my point, Doc.

The Colts are a mess because they don't draft well and don't get much out of their free agents.

The Raiders, on the other hand draft exceptionally well and I would say are comparable to us in free agency.

Well yes, I'm never going to argue against drafting well. Just merely pointing out that the sort of panic about signing Winston and Evans and eating all our cap is fake news. For one it's not happening for two more years (which is a life time) and when it does it won't kill our cap or prevent us from making any move like a DJax signing if we want. That's all I was saying. But yes, sure, always draft well, duh.
Doctor

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Doctor wrote:

Well yes, I'm never going to argue against drafting well. Just merely pointing out that the sort of panic about signing Winston and Evans and eating all our cap is fake news. For one it's not happening for two more years (which is a life time) and when it does it won't kill our cap or prevent us from making any move like a DJax signing if we want. That's all I was saying. But yes, sure, always draft well, duh.

And my point is that paying Winston and Evans... throw in Kwon and Marpet while you're at it... makes drafting well so much more important.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Doctor wrote:

Yeah, with the new cap reality, it's really tough to find yourself unable to keep someone you really want to. Usually there are probably a half-dozen UFAs each offseason that you know their teams would absolutely love to keep around, but that numbers is probably a bit high.

Look at the Seahawks. They've had a loaded roster since 2012. Who have they lost for cap reasons to this point that they actually miss? They've managed to re-sign Wilson, Baldwin, Kearse, pay Jimmy Graham, keep Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Kam, Earl Thomas...They've lost a few second tier types, but nobody they really needed.

I think to actually find yourself at that point, where you're losing front-line talent that you'd LOVE to keep, your drafting has probably been SO outstanding to have that problem that...whatever.
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 pm

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:Well yes, I'm never going to argue against drafting well. Just merely pointing out that the sort of panic about signing Winston and Evans and eating all our cap is fake news. For one it's not happening for two more years (which is a life time) and when it does it won't kill our cap or prevent us from making any move like a DJax signing if we want. That's all I was saying. But yes, sure, always draft well, duh.

Yeah, with the new cap reality, it's really tough to find yourself unable to keep someone you really want to. Usually there are probably a half-dozen UFAs each offseason that you know their teams would absolutely love to keep around, but that numbers is probably a bit high.

Look at the Seahawks. They've had a loaded roster since 2012. Who have they lost for cap reasons to this point that they actually miss? They've managed to re-sign Wilson, Baldwin, Kearse, pay Jimmy Graham, keep Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Kam, Earl Thomas...They've lost a few second tier types, but nobody they really needed.

I think to actually find yourself at that point, where you're losing front-line talent that you'd LOVE to keep, your drafting has probably been SO outstanding to have that problem that...whatever.

Actually since losing players to cap casualty starting a couple years ago that defense is not the same. Those players that left might not be setting the world on fire for their new teams, but they FIT in the LOB and it doesn't look the same without them.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat May 20, 2017 12:05 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

Actually since losing players to cap casualty starting a couple years ago that defense is not the same. Those players that left might not be setting the world on fire for their new teams, but they FIT in the LOB and it doesn't look the same without them.

I don't mean to say it's irrelevant. Just that it's not like they had to let Earl Thomas and Doug Baldwin walk out the door or something. Your depth will take a hit. But it'd be like if we make a run and then we have to let Adam Humphries, Keith Tandy, and Cameron Brate leave because we're paying Winston, Evans, Spence, etc.

(Also worth noting that I think age/miles as taken a toll, also - Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, and Cliff Avril are three guys who aren't quite what they were 4 years ago.)
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:53 am

No matter what our draft was, I still think a lot of teams picked up some very good players.
mdb1958

Postby Caradoc » Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Yeah, this was a deep draft, lots of teams got multiple guys that should stand out. Not many teams went home unhappy this year.
Caradoc

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk