Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:But Bear, we've already established that a degree is no guarantee of financial success. Colleges today are full of engineering and computer science majors who are miserable. Why go into debt to study something you hate? Because you MIGHT get a good paying job that you'll hate? Why put yourself through that?

If what our kids are interested in is in a college then they should go there. If it's in a vocational school, they should go there. Half of graduates end up not working in thier field anyway. At least they spent 2-4 years getting immersed in something that they are passionate about. Now all we have to figure out is letting them do it without drowning in debt.

Simple. Stop with the easy loans. It's ridiculous. There are other avenues to getting into college without resorting to student loans that can't be repaid. Bottom line, if you can't afford to go, then don't go. Do something else. I don't see where anyone is doing these kids a favor by letting them go to college to study something they can't get a job in when they finish so they can afford to pay off their loan debt. This is going to be the next bubble most likely. The student loan bubble. It will all come crashing down. Soon if I had to guess.

I have an even easier solution...
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 463 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:But Bear, we've already established that a degree is no guarantee of financial success. Colleges today are full of engineering and computer science majors who are miserable. Why go into debt to study something you hate? Because you MIGHT get a good paying job that you'll hate? Why put yourself through that?

If what our kids are interested in is in a college then they should go there. If it's in a vocational school, they should go there. Half of graduates end up not working in thier field anyway. At least they spent 2-4 years getting immersed in something that they are passionate about. Now all we have to figure out is letting them do it without drowning in debt.

Simple. Stop with the easy loans. It's ridiculous. There are other avenues to getting into college without resorting to student loans that can't be repaid. Bottom line, if you can't afford to go, then don't go. Do something else. I don't see where anyone is doing these kids a favor by letting them go to college to study something they can't get a job in when they finish so they can afford to pay off their loan debt. This is going to be the next bubble most likely. The student loan bubble. It will all come crashing down. Soon if I had to guess.


If you address the, "you have to go to college!" mentality that kids are bombarded with from infancy, that would directly influence what you're talking about.

Part of the problem is that lenders are relativists about what kids are going to study. They're no more or less likely to give a kid a loan to pursue a degree in feminist poetry as they are a degree in nuclear medicine. I don't even think they ask (maybe they're not allowed to.) It would be helpful if this was part of the process for obtaining a loan - "Tell me how you're going to translate this education into gainful employment, besides saying you're going to teach it?" Maybe if the feminist poetry kid had to find a way to finance that worthless degree, he (she...xe?) would find something useful to major in instead. Maybe loans should be contingent on demonstrating a useful major, with the borrower free to double-major, or minor, in anything.

Look, if your family isn't well-off enough to finance your education, and you're not prolific or gifted enough to get a scholarship, I'd be hard-pressed to believe you're doing yourself or anyone else a favor getting a liberal arts degree.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 6221
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 am

OR we can do away with the silly notion that you have to pay money or go to war to get an education.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 463 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:OR we can do away with the silly notion that you have to pay money or go to war to get an education.


The part of me that values intellectualism, self-discovery, and edification applauds you.

The part of me that traces the worthlessness of a college degree at this point to fundamental problems in our workforce has misgivings.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 6221
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby NYBF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 pm

HamBone wrote:
HamBone wrote:And we should care...why?


No, my question was to Corsair and his foreign student #trumpeffect post.

Should have quoted it...but, yours and MJW's post weren't showing on my phone.


I'll bite.

Yesterday my family celebrated two decades of my mom being cancer free. When she first got sick, doctors were perplexed. No clue what was wrong with her. Cancer wasn't even in their radar. One of the doctors involved happened to be talking with a friend of his. This friend was a doctor to the US from India looking for a better education. Got it here in NY.

Not only did this doctor get the correct diagnosis, his treatment plan went against the "norms." This foreigner who had the nerve to apply to a college in the US saved my mom's life. And with fewer foreign students applying to schools here in the US, some son, some daughter, some grandkid might not be as lucky as I am.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:34 pm

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:OR we can do away with the silly notion that you have to pay money or go to war to get an education.


The part of me that values intellectualism, self-discovery, and edification applauds you.

The part of me that traces the worthlessness of a college degree at this point to fundamental problems in our workforce has misgivings.

Ignore that part.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 463 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby HamBone » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 pm

NYBF wrote:
HamBone wrote:
No, my question was to Corsair and his foreign student #trumpeffect post.

Should have quoted it...but, yours and MJW's post weren't showing on my phone.


I'll bite.

Yesterday my family celebrated two decades of my mom being cancer free. When she first got sick, doctors were perplexed. No clue what was wrong with her. Cancer wasn't even in their radar. One of the doctors involved happened to be talking with a friend of his. This friend was a doctor to the US from India looking for a better education. Got it here in NY.

Not only did this doctor get the correct diagnosis, his treatment plan went against the "norms." This foreigner who had the nerve to apply to a college in the US saved my mom's life. And with fewer foreign students applying to schools here in the US, some son, some daughter, some grandkid might not be as lucky as I am.


Guess, I gotta go with bear and someone else could have done the same thing...not sure what the "foreigner who had the nerve" line was about, but cool.
User avatar
HamBone
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Why do big corporations poach talent from other companies? I'm sure someone that's already there could have done the job.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 2765
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm surprised the Ryan/Trump care hasn't been debated more here. Maybe it has but I missed it but it's an interesting and dangerous situation the GOP has put itself in.

Policy repercussions aside, if they CAN'T pass a replacement it won't look good.
Image
User avatar
Corsair
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 pm

bucfanclw wrote:Why do big corporations poach talent from other companies? I'm sure someone that's already there could have done the job.


Because it's cheaper than building a corporate framework which encourages development and innovation from within. It's a lazy, cheap, capitalist approach that is only focused on the bottom line, a bottom line which is based on producing something at the cheapest cost.

Do those values or that focus sound like a nation you'd like to live in? Also, our nation's talent pool is 330 million deep - not a couple hundred or a couple thousand. We're not lacking for "types".

As MB always says, you don't run a government like a corporation, you run a government like a government. That means in every way, not just financially
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby deltbucs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Corsair wrote:I'm surprised the Ryan/Trump care hasn't been debated more here. Maybe it has but I missed it but it's an interesting and dangerous situation the GOP has put itself in.

Policy repercussions aside, if they CAN'T pass a replacement it won't look good.

I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about more. I've been on vacation and in and out of service for the better part of the last couple weeks, so I haven't taken the time to read up on it.
The little bit that I've seen is that it is the opposite of what Trump promised and that it will cover less people and cost more money....which is the opposite of what Trump promised. I also heard that it's just another tax cut for the very wealthy. Is this true?

Trump fans, what's the good part about the new ACA replacement? Is it really going to do what Trump promised it would do? Do you approve of it?
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 3882
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby HamBone » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:27 am

HamBone wrote:I just read an article that states the Republican bill to repeal Obamacare...mandates the insurance companies to charge 30% more in premiums for one year...for anyone who cannot prove they did not have a 63 day gap in insurance coverage. If that's true they are friggin idjiots.
User avatar
HamBone
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Corsair » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Republicans have painted themselves into a corner with this Health Care Replacement.

The conservatives think it's too liberal, and the moderates are afraid of the numbers of voters who will lose coverage. They can't find a sweet spot in the middle. I submit that there probably is no middle ground.

Now the vote for today has been cancelled because Trump is losing yes votes the more he negotiates.
Image
User avatar
Corsair
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:35 pm

M103 moved forward in Canada today.

Would the liberals here support such legislation here in America??
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 8719
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby NYBF » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Corsair wrote:Now the vote for today has been cancelled because Trump is losing yes votes the more he negotiates.


I thought it was canceled because he wanted to play with the trucks.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:37 pm

NYBF wrote:
Corsair wrote:Now the vote for today has been cancelled because Trump is losing yes votes the more he negotiates.


I thought it was canceled because he wanted to play with the trucks.


lol.. That was funny.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 8719
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:40 pm

DreadNaught wrote:M103 moved forward in Canada today.

Would the liberals here support such legislation here in America??

Not familiar with the legislation. Can you summarize?
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 463 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Corsair » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 pm

How bad will it be if the GOP doesn't pass this repeal/replace bill in the House tomorrow? Does it ever get brought up again?

Trump is already threatening to leave Obamacare in place if it fails the vote. And if it passes the house it appears to be DOA in the senate.

Moderates think it goes too far, conservatives think it doesn't go far enough. Did Trump promise too much?

Now Trump is throwing Ryan under the bus with reports that "Trump regrets going with Paul Ryan plan to do health care first".

7 1/2 years of 50+ failed votes to repeal Obamacare and republicans with a majority in both houses of congress and with a republican president can't get their act together?
Image
User avatar
Corsair
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:M103 moved forward in Canada today.

Would the liberals here support such legislation here in America??

Not familiar with the legislation. Can you summarize?


Canada’s parliament has approved M-103, a non-biding motion that calls on the government to “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination,” by a margin of 201-91.


My issue (among other things) is that it specifically calls out "Islamophobia" without defining it, AND does not call out to condemn anti-semitism or other specific religions other than Islam. Not to mention this infringes on free speech imo, and is at least a double standard.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 8719
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:41 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Not familiar with the legislation. Can you summarize?


Canada’s parliament has approved M-103, a non-biding motion that calls on the government to “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination,” by a margin of 201-91.


My issue (among other things) is that it specifically calls out "Islamophobia" without defining it, AND does not call out to condemn anti-semitism or other specific religions other than Islam. Not to mention this infringes on free speech imo, and is at least a double standard.

Pretty worthless piece of legislation IMO. It doesn't change the law in any way.

Parliament condemns racism. Whoop-de-do. Welcome to the 21st century.

Now if it created a new mandate or penalty for an offense, you'd have something to debate. But this has about as much teeth as declaring Arbor day.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 463 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby deltbucs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 am

So it seems that this Trump/Ryan Care is a load of **** from the little I've read on it. Fewer people covered and higher premiums with a nice tax break for the rich on top of it all. And now it seems that Republicans just want to pass it for the sake of having something different....even if it's actually somehow shittier than Obamacare.

Am I missing something?
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 3882
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 am

deltbucs wrote:So it seems that this Trump/Ryan Care is a load of **** from the little I've read on it. Fewer people covered and higher premiums with a nice tax break for the rich on top of it all. And now it seems that Republicans just want to pass it for the sake of having something different....even if it's actually somehow shittier than Obamacare.

Am I missing something?


Trump hands it off to Ryan, and says now if vote fails, he will "move on to other things"

... probably realized midway through the analysis that it wasn't so bad and anything they came up with wouldn't be any better. Trump can move on to focus on things he'd rather focus on. He can say he tried and when it comes up in the future, he can say his version didn't get passed because of the "bureaucrats in washington"

win win for the god emperor, cheeto in chief
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby deltbucs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:12 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
deltbucs wrote:So it seems that this Trump/Ryan Care is a load of **** from the little I've read on it. Fewer people covered and higher premiums with a nice tax break for the rich on top of it all. And now it seems that Republicans just want to pass it for the sake of having something different....even if it's actually somehow shittier than Obamacare.

Am I missing something?


Trump hands it off to Ryan, and says now if vote fails, he will "move on to other things"

... probably realized midway through the analysis that it wasn't so bad and anything they came up with wouldn't be any better. Trump can move on to focus on things he'd rather focus on. He can say he tried and when it comes up in the future, he can say his version didn't get passed because of the "bureaucrats in washington"

win win for the god emperor, cheeto in chief

Like golfing? He's already done enough of that. Remember when he used to throw hissy fits about how much Obama golfed?


But seriously, I hope you folks are contacting your congressmen about this.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 3882
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:34 am

deltbucs wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Trump hands it off to Ryan, and says now if vote fails, he will "move on to other things"

... probably realized midway through the analysis that it wasn't so bad and anything they came up with wouldn't be any better. Trump can move on to focus on things he'd rather focus on. He can say he tried and when it comes up in the future, he can say his version didn't get passed because of the "bureaucrats in washington"

win win for the god emperor, cheeto in chief

Like golfing? He's already done enough of that. Remember when he used to throw hissy fits about how much Obama golfed?


But seriously, I hope you folks are contacting your congressmen about this.

Make America Reimburse Another Lame ***hole's Golf Outing
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 2765
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:41 am

deltbucs wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Trump hands it off to Ryan, and says now if vote fails, he will "move on to other things"

... probably realized midway through the analysis that it wasn't so bad and anything they came up with wouldn't be any better. Trump can move on to focus on things he'd rather focus on. He can say he tried and when it comes up in the future, he can say his version didn't get passed because of the "bureaucrats in washington"

win win for the god emperor, cheeto in chief

Like golfing? He's already done enough of that. Remember when he used to throw hissy fits about how much Obama golfed?


But seriously, I hope you folks are contacting your congressmen about this.


Yeah, probably, or the wall or making yuuuge deals lol


as a side, you mentioning folks should contact our congressmen about this... decided to look into who my new guy is, considering I just moved here:

got good ol boy Glen Grothman up here:
Image
(via Govtrack.us):
"Least Bipartisan among House Freshmen (literally the least)
"5th least Bipartisan out of all 435 Reps (with 10+ cosponsored bills)"
"Least Supportive of Government Transparency in Wisconsin, and of all representatives (along with 135 others out of 439)"
"Lowest leadership score among Wisconsin Delegation, 36th worst out of 439 representatives"

lmfao
Last edited by beardmcdoug on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby deltbucs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:24 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Like golfing? He's already done enough of that. Remember when he used to throw hissy fits about how much Obama golfed?


But seriously, I hope you folks are contacting your congressmen about this.


Yeah, probably, or the wall or making yuuuge deals lol


as a side, you mentioning "you folks" should contact our congressmen about this... decided to look into who my new guy is, considering I just moved here:

got good ol boy Glen Grothman up here:
Image
(via Govtrack.us):
"Least Bipartisan among House Freshmen (literally the least)
"5th least Bipartisan our of all 435 Reps (with 10+ cosponsored bills)"
"Least Supportive of Government Transparency in Wisconsin, and of all representatives (along with 135 others out of 439)"
"Lowest leadership score among Wisconsin Delegation, 36th worst out of 439 representatives"

lmfao

HA!! Good luck with that.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 3882
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:40 am

Image
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 7217
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 706 times
Been thanked: 242 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby deltbucs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:42 am

I probably shouldn't laugh at this, but this is some funny ****!

This Woman Voted For Trump But Now The Government Is Deporting Her Husband

“[Trump] did say the good people would not be deported, the good people would be checked.”




https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/this ... .xsMqZK7dV
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 3882
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby HamBone » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 am

deltbucs wrote:I probably shouldn't laugh at this, but this is some funny ****!

This Woman Voted For Trump But Now The Government Is Deporting Her Husband

“[Trump] did say the good people would not be deported, the good people would be checked.”




https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/this ... .xsMqZK7dV


Hahahaha...that's awesome
User avatar
HamBone
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am

Image
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 2765
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 125 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron