***OFFICIAL 2017 NFL Offseason thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 NFL Offseason thread***

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 am

Bengals signed ILB Kevin Minter to a one-year contract.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Teitan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Super K wrote:Not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule Teitan..But in both of the cases above, those guys didn't parlay horrible careers into immediate coaching positions...

In fact, I'd say that both their careers were more successful than McCown's..

Pass attempts: 298
Pass completions: 173
Percentage: 58.1
Yards: 1,920
TD–INT: 14–16
Passer rating:

That's Kubiak's numbers. I don't know that you could call it more successful.

Also, Kubiak, like MANY others started coaching a different position than he played. I believe he started as a RB coach. I think your theory of "what have you accomplished" doesn't hold much weight when it comes to coaching.

Just look at Raheem Morris, switched to coach offense last season and seems to be excelling. He doesn't have any accomplishments as an offensive player or coach and was able to do fine coaching WRs.
Teitan

Postby SIBucsFan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Teitan wrote:
Super K wrote:Not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule Teitan..But in both of the cases above, those guys didn't parlay horrible careers into immediate coaching positions...

In fact, I'd say that both their careers were more successful than McCown's..

Pass attempts: 298
Pass completions: 173
Percentage: 58.1
Yards: 1,920
TD–INT: 14–16
Passer rating:

That's Kubiak's numbers. I don't know that you could call it more successful.

Also, Kubiak, like MANY others started coaching a different position than he played. I believe he started as a RB coach. I think your theory of "what have you accomplished" doesn't hold much weight when it comes to coaching.

Just look at Raheem Morris, switched to coach offense last season and seems to be excelling. He doesn't have any accomplishments as an offensive player or coach and was able to do fine coaching WRs.

Regarding Morris' switch to the offensive side of the ball, I think a move like that makes perfect sense.

In his example, he coached DBs for so long, and while a lot of it is technique on what the DB should do, it's also about studying the fine intricacies of your opponent. Morris probably knows all about what receivers do against DBs, and after years of coaching DBs, he knows what DBs do against receivers, and he can then use that knowledge to give to receivers. He can learn the finer details of playing the receiver position and then he know what both sides need to do for optimum performance in any situation. I think knowing both sides of the ball so well makes a coach gives them a greater ability to develop creative and advanced philosophies.

Another example, Belicheck was known as one of the great defensive minds in the league for many years dating back to his run with Parcells for the Giants. He's developed some of the best philosophies on the offensive side of the ball in the league during his time in New England taking what he knew about defense and thriving, becoming arguably, and almost undoubtedly, the greatest coach the game has ever seen.
SIBucsFan

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Teitan, if you are just going to look at stats you are correct..However I think more goes under the umbrella of "accomplishments" than just stats and you are selling Kubiak short..

Kubiak spent his entire playing career (9years) on 1 team backing up one of the all time greats at QB (Elway)..

He was a part of 3 AFC championship and SB teams..

He played under a near legendary coach (Reeves) whom is one of the few coaches to take 2 different teams to the SB..

He then went on to be a college RB coach at aTm before returning to the pros as a QB coach, then OC before becoming a HC..

The guys has 4 SB rings..

This compared to McCown whom has played for 10 different teams in his professional career (including one UFL team)..He is the definition of a journeyman..

Now, as I said before, if McCown were to come to my son's HS as a coach or become part of a college staff I can see his mentorship and coaching holding weight...

But if I'm an NFL QB or team, what he brings to the table means jack ****..
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Super K wrote:Teitan, if you are just going to look at stats you are correct..However I think more goes under the umbrella of "accomplishments" than just stats and you are selling Kubiak short..

Kubiak spent his entire playing career (9years) on 1 team backing up one of the all time greats at QB (Elway)..

He played under a near legendary coach (Reeves) whom is one of the few coaches to take 2 different teams to the SB..

He then went on to be a college RB coach at aTm before returning to the pros as a QB coach, then OC before becoming a HC..

This compared to McCown whom has played for 10 different teams in his professional career (including one UFL team)..He is the definition of a journeyman..

Now, as I said before, if McCown were to come to my son's HS as a coach or become part of a college staff I can see his mentorship and coaching holding weight...

My point is, Kubiak didn't do **** as a player and was able to be an effective, Super Bowl winning coach. Same for Garrett sans Super Bowl. Neither had to go coach your kids high school.

Jason Garrett went on to coach QBs in Miami one year after finishing is 15 year journeyman QB career, with not even 300 pass attempts, and that didn't seem to be an issue for him.

I'm not trying to drag on an argument with you, but I think your "You didn't do anything as a player so you have to start coaching in high school" thing is silly.
Teitan

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Teitan wrote:
Super K wrote:Teitan, if you are just going to look at stats you are correct..However I think more goes under the umbrella of "accomplishments" than just stats and you are selling Kubiak short..

My point is, Kubiak didn't do **** as a player and was able to be an effective, Super Bowl winning coach. Same for Garrett sans Super Bowl. Neither had to go coach your kids high school.

Jason Garrett went on to coach QBs in Miami one year after finishing is 15 year journeyman QB career, with not even 300 pass attempts, and that didn't seem to be an issue for him.

I'm not trying to drag on an argument with you, but I think your "You didn't do anything as a player so you have to start coaching in high school" thing is silly.

Fair enough..And as I originally said, there are exceptions to the rule (obviously it's my rule)..

I just don't think McCown is one of them..

And no argument here..I can have a civilized debate/disagreement without going nuclear..I enjoy the discussion..I mean, that's what this board is for right?..It'd be pretty damn boring if we all agreed with one another...
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Super K wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Fair enough..And as I originally said, there are exceptions to the rule (obviously it's my rule)..

I just don't think McCown is one of them..

And no argument here..I can have a civilized debate/disagreement without going nuclear..I enjoy the discussion..I mean, that's what this board is for right?..It'd be pretty damn boring if we all agreed with one another...

I agree. ;)
Teitan

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 am

Tom Brady's Super Bowl jersey has been found. We can all rest easy now.
Rocker

Postby Swashy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 am

Someone needs to run that Brady jersey to Atlanta and get it buried underneath some concrete in their new stadium.

*snicker, snicker*

THAT WAY THEY'LL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW THEY BLEW THAT 25 POINT LEAD!!!!!!!!!!! AND IT'LL STAY WITH THEM FOREVER!!!!

mwahahahaha!
Swashy

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am

A source told MMQB's Peter King that Marshawn Lynch "really wants" to play for the Raiders.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 am

Free agent QB Chase Daniel is visiting the Jets on Monday.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:27 am

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:
Why the **** would any team want McCown to mentor anyone?

The guy had a good 6-8 game run..that's it..Other than that.. SUCKAGE..

McCown got signed before CK too.

He must have some GREAT tape.

Who signed McCown sweetheart?
Bootz2004

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

It'd be easier to list the teams that haven't.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Patriots coach Bill Belichick reportedly told Darrelle Revis "a few years ago" that Revis' skill set wouldn't translate to safety.
P
Per the Boston Herald, the topic of Revis eventually converting to safety came up the last time the Patriots and Revis had contract talks. Belichick "shot it down because he didn’t think Revis’ skills translated to the position." Still, buzz is growing of Revis resurfacing in Foxboro, where he would likely play cornerback if Malcolm Butler gets dealt. Revis' biggest obstacle is his physical conditioning, which caused his 2016 downturn with the Jets.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:31 pm

I don't think anyone seriously considered Revis as a safety. He excels in press man. That's why most here were confused as to why Schiano insisted on keeping him in zone. It's also not surprising that he declined the way he did. Injuries and getting older will do that to you.
Bootz2004

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:12 pm

NFL could shorten overtime period in 2017

The NFL's overtime period could be shortened from 15 to 10 minutes in 2017.
Playoff overtimes would remain 15 minutes, though that's irrelevant since postseason games cannot end in ties. It seems like a bad idea, one certain to increase the number of ties. The logic is supposedly that the 15-minute period is too much extra football to be played in one week, especially a short one. Marvin Lewis would be all but guaranteed of bringing home his fourth career tie in 2017 if the rule is passed.
Source: Judy Battista on Twitter Mar 20 - 2:31 PM
Phantom Phenom

Postby BucaRican » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:38 pm

EJ Manuel signs contract with Oakland Raiders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793965/article/ej-manuel-signs-contract-with-oakland-raiders
EJ Manuel's time in Buffalo has come to a close.

The former Bills quarterback signed a deal with the Oakland Raiders on Monday, the team announced.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Manuel will serve as depth in the quarterback room behind starter Derek Carr.
While the Raiders also have second-year arm Connor Cook, adding Manuel all but guarantees Matt McGloin is headed out of Oakland for good.

Manuel was nothing short of a major disappointment for the Bills, who made the former Florida State star the 16th overall pick of the 2013 NFL Draft.
In Oakland, he's no guarantee to beat out Cook for the No. 2 role.

With just 17 starts over the past four seasons, Manuel's days as a first-string passer are over.
It's up to the Raiders to make him a functional player -- something the Bills never achieved.
BucaRican

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Patriots waived RB Tyler Gaffney.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Jets signed Josh McCown to contract
Phantom Phenom

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Jets signed Josh McCown to contract

Talk about a dysfunctional franchise..

"Hey..We've got to move on and upgrade from Fitzpatrick.."

"Agreed..Let's sign Josh McCown..He just got released from his 10th NFL team.."

"Brilliant!"
Super K

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Jets signed Josh McCown to contract

beardmcdoug

Postby Nano » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Will the New York Jets select Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold with the 1st overall pick in 2018?
Nano

Postby MJW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

MJW

Postby Konatown » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Nano wrote:Will the New York Jets select Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold with the 1st overall pick in 2018?

This. If McCown is good at anything, it's getting his team the #1 overall pick. Go get em Josh!
Konatown

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:26 am

Jets signed QB Josh McCown to a one-year deal worth $6 million fully guaranteed plus $2M in playtime incentives – $125K for each game he plays 50% of the snaps in and $5M in team incentives: playoffs, SB, SB win.

:shock:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BucaRican » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am

Buc2 wrote:
Jets signed QB Josh McCown to a one-year deal worth $6 million fully guaranteed plus $2M in playtime incentives – $125K for each game he plays 50% of the snaps in and $5M in team incentives: playoffs, SB, SB win.

:shock:

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!
BucaRican

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:52 am

Colts signed WR Kamar Aiken, formerly of the Ravens, to a one-year contract.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:04 am

BucaRican wrote:
Buc2 wrote: :shock:

They felt safe offering $5M for something they know won't happen.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 am

Buc2 wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

They felt safe offering $5M for something they know won't happen.

Smokescreen hiding their true intentions of locking up the #1 pick.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Buc2 wrote:They felt safe offering $5M for something they know won't happen.

Smokescreen hiding their true intentions of locking up the #1 pick.

If I was McCowns agent, that would be the incentive I'd look for. "I want 5mil if my guy Josh secures you the #1 pick!"
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions