***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Rocker wrote:Filpulla traded to Flyers for defenseman Mark Streit.

We also sent the Flyers a 4th rd pick and a conditional pick, while the Flyers retain some of Streit's current contract that expires at the end of this season.

This was cap move by StevieY looking ahead to this offseason where we have Drouin, Palat, Johnson and Sustr all restricted FA. This opens more cap for us to use on locking up our own.

Sucks to see Bish, Boyle, and Filpulla all go within days of one another, but this team is loaded with young talent in a league w/ a hard cap. So it's smart business for the future.

This is why Stevie Y is being called "The Ninja". And it's no coincidence that the Lightning were chosen as the best franchise in professional sports.

Not only did he unload a player that we would be FORCED to protect in the expansion draft...he did it by (essentially) giving up a 7th round draft pick. He also unloads a 5 mil salary that frees up space to re-sign Johnson/Drouin/Palat. Look at who the pundits are considering "winners" at the trade deadline. The Bolts are there. The gem in the Filpulla deal is that it frees us to protect ANOTHER player from the expansion draft.

Last summer, NOBODY thought we had a chance at keeping Stammer and Hedman AND having a snowball's chance in hell of re-signing those 3. We still may not be able to...but it looks better every day.

Don't be shocked if he finds a way to get Vegas to take Garrison (plus draft picks)...freeing up another 4.5 mil.

Again...this franchise knows WTF it's doing. And they do it better than anyone.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Rocker wrote:Appreciate the analysis as always. What're you thoughts on the rumors that Boyle wants to come back to the Bolts next year? You've been rightfully critical of his play at times, but I think that the team seems to respond well to his play and locker room presence.

Of course he wants to be back. His wife and kids live here/go to school here...and frankly...who doesn't want to live in a place where you don't freeze your nuts off in the "winter". It was 85 degrees today btw. His days here are (IMO) done. He's just not good enough. But like a lot of retired athletes...he'll continue to make his home in the Tampa Bay area (Hi, Derek Jeter).

Again...we have young guys that need to move up.

We are 7-1-2 in our last 10 games. I've watched most of them. Our next 4 games are brutal and I don't expect it to go well...but these last 20+ games are to get Point, Dotchin and Erne experience heading into next year.

Tonight was a shit-show. Again...Vasy kept us in the game while the Hurricanes were kicking our ass. The Triplets (and Hedman) saved the game. I think we had a total of 15 or so, shots on goal. It was a mess. Erne ringed one off the crossbar and Palat missed an open netter that he'll never miss in 100 tries.

As expected (with the loss of Boyle and Flip), the offense and defense were...a hodge-podge of terribleness...they looked like 3 lines that have never played together...because they haven't.

As far as "locker room presence" goes...Stammer and ESPECIALLY a healthy Callahan will remedy that.

Look at next year: We have 2, 30 goal scorers and as many as 4-5, 20 goal scorers on this roster next year. Assuming everyone stays healthy. I'll take that and beat your brains in more often than not.

This team will be a contender for MANY years to come.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:51 pm

A rare Friday night off...and no female distractions.

The Bolts @ Pittsburgh

I really didn't expect much going into the game. We've been getting points and looking terrible doing it. The Penguins are one of the best teams in the league this year and a fantastic offense. They took us 6-2 in our last meeting.

And whaddaya know...0-0 at the end of the 1st but that was the best period I've seen the Bolts play in a long, long time.

Budaj in goal for Tampa and has been spectacular. Looks like the guy that won 27 for the Kings this year. A couple of back to back amazing saves towards the end of the period to keep it scoreless.

The Bolts have dominated possession (haven't seen the official number but that's what my eyes are telling me.) The main concern is that when the Pens get it into our zone they hold on to the puck longer than they should...especially with that kind of offensive fire-power. And they (Penguins) seems to win an in-real number of faceoffs in our offensive zone. That is disconcerting.

We're playing with a LOT of energy, that hasn't been there in the last few games. I guess we'll see if they can keep it up.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 am

Over-matched and out-gunned. Pure and simple.

And this time...it wasn't for lack of effort.

Pitt d'd up The Triplets and we had no other answer. Although we hung around (it was 2-2 at one point, in the 3rd), you could sense it was only a matter of time. Their skill on offense made our young D look...young and inexperienced.

One thing that's stood out for a while...outside of Drouin (and Point), we really don't have players who can move the puck through the neutral zone. Pretty much makes it a "dump and chase" game against a team with a solid defense.

Meh...I wasn't really disappointed because it went about as expected.

Good to see Erne get his first...and he and Dotchin (Point) get more game experience on this level. Still wondering why Witkowski is a healthy scratch. He'll be on D next year but isn't getting playing time. Curious...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:02 am

Just got home and watched the replay of the Bolts 2-1 SO win tonight.

Go to YouTube and watch Kuch put one of the All-Time dekes on the Buffalo goalie in the shootout.

Hilarious.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Alpha wrote:Just got home and watched the replay of the Bolts 2-1 SO win tonight.

Go to YouTube and watch Kuch put one of the All-Time dekes on the Buffalo goalie in the shootout.

Hilarious.

Just watched it. Awesome.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't know how, but we're still only 3 points out of the 2nd wild card spot (4 teams ahead of us). There's still a chance. We'd face Washington in the first round, so it'd probably be a short playoff appearance, but if Stamkos is back who knows what can happen. We just gotta get there. Even if we lose in 5 in the first round...giving Vasy and the other "new" guys playoff experience would be great, and just making the playoffs after being out of the picture all season would be a big boost going into next season, you'd hope.

I still hope to be proven wrong about us not making it, and the odds are still stacked against us, but it's possible. Any game we can record points in is obviously huge, but doing so against teams in front of us is even better. Games against the Panthers & Leafs will be huge — those are must-wins. Obviously we have to beat teams below us such as Detroit & Buffalo.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:28 pm

pewterpirates wrote:I don't know how, but we're still only 3 points out of the 2nd wild card spot (4 teams ahead of us). There's still a chance. We'd face Washington in the first round, so it'd probably be a short playoff appearance, but if Stamkos is back who knows what can happen. We just gotta get there. Even if we lose in 5 in the first round...giving Vasy and the other "new" guys playoff experience would be great, and just making the playoffs after being out of the picture all season would be a big boost going into next season, you'd hope.

I still hope to be proven wrong about us not making it, and the odds are still stacked against us, but it's possible. Any game we can record points in is obviously huge, but doing so against teams in front of us is even better. Games against the Panthers & Leafs will be huge — those are must-wins. Obviously we have to beat teams below us such as Detroit & Buffalo.

And you hit the nail on the head:

This team is changing. We have locked up our core studs and are moving in our junior guys. Vasy. Erne. Koekkoek. Dotchin. Point. Drouin. Gourde. These are the guys that are replacing our old guys (Garrison. Filpulla. Boyle). We were going as far as we were gonna go with the old guys. We are built (according to Stevie Y) for sustained success.

We are...in a sense...rebuilding. But getting these kids experience is setting us up for success next year. And the year after. And the year after.

Somehow squeaking into the playoffs this year would do this team wonders next year. Even if we bomb early.

This team is on a point-streak. They are playing as well as can be expected. The Ranger game was tough...and easily win-able. But we still got a point. Tough games coming up. The Wild on Thursday. We need points.

Frankly...I thought we'd be well out of it by now but we're right there. Vasy has played like a STUD since he became the #1 guy.

I like where this team is right now.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:10 am

Nothing makes me feel better about the State of the Lightning than reading an Alpha Lightning post. Thanks for helping keep me optimistic about this team in this disappointing season.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:19 am

Buc2 wrote:Nothing makes me feel better about the State of the Lightning than reading an Alpha Lightning post. Thanks for helping keep me optimistic about this team in this disappointing season.

It's just refreshing to see an organization that knows wtf it's doing. It's easy to be optimistic because this organization continuously makes solid moves to keep this team competitive.

4-1 win against the best team in the west tonight. Just watched the re-play.

We're still fucked, don't get me wrong...but when this team puts it together, they're as good as anyone.

Losing 3 more CENTERS will probably doom us (Tyler Johnson...ouch) but we've been fucked with injuries all year so whteves.

I just know there are 7 teams in the east that are gonna **** themselves if they have to face the Bolts in the first round. Especially if Stamkos makes it back this year.
Alpha

Postby The Bad Guy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 am

My support for you guys is currently on hold until after next week. Caps and Pens on three game road trips (Caps: Loss @ Sharks, @ LAK, @ ANA / Pens: @ EDM, @ TOR, @ CAL) and then the Caps have the Wild at home. If the Caps somehow make a large jump, I will be back to cheer on the Lightning. Not that I think you guys will beat them in the first round, you're too banged up, but I'd love to see you guys just wear them down physically and mentally if at all possible.

Alpha said it best: you've got the GM in place to make solid, franchise building moves. You'll be in the hunt for years to come. Just an off year due to injuries.
The Bad Guy

Postby Alpha » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:44 am

The Bad Guy wrote:My support for you guys is currently on hold until after next week. Caps and Pens on three game road trips (Caps: Loss @ Sharks, @ LAK, @ ANA / Pens: @ EDM, @ TOR, @ CAL) and then the Caps have the Wild at home. If the Caps somehow make a large jump, I will be back to cheer on the Lightning. Not that I think you guys will beat them in the first round, you're too banged up, but I'd love to see you guys just wear them down physically and mentally if at all possible.

Alpha said it best: you've got the GM in place to make solid, franchise building moves. You'll be in the hunt for years to come. Just an off year due to injuries.

IF we get a healthy Stamkos back, I seriously doubt the Caps want to see the Lightning in the first round. The ONLY thing the Caps have proven is that no matter the record...they **** the bed come playoff time.

The Pens are CLEARLY the team to beat in the east. Even over WAS. And until the Caps prove to me they can make hay in the playoffs, I have ZERO faith in their chances to do so.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:36 am

Just watched the replay of tonight's game:

The Syracuse Lightning could've EASILY packed it in and called it a year...but they managed to nut one out tonight against an old, slow and tired Panther team.

Honestly...I've never seen anything like what the Bolts have been through this year regarding injuries. It's getting a bit ridiculous. What hockey team loses ALL 3 CENTERS in ONE f-ing game!? Brian Engblom, the Lightning (TV) color guy...been in the game for DECADES says he's never seen anything like it.

Anyway...the Bolts had 9 starters (that's out of roughly...15) who have had fewer than 100 NHL games played, playing tonight.

They managed the win in regulation...and now the rubber meets the road and I suspect we'll be toast after our next 3 games: @ NY Rangers, @Ottawa (2 of the best teams in the East, on back-to-back nights) and then home against Toronto (who is ahead of us). 3 games in 4 nights. With the kids from Syracuse. Maybe we get one of our Centers back...maybe not.

Meh. This team could be something amazing if we could have all of our toys healthy for once...
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 pm

You can never count this team out...all these new faces. Glad the younger guys are getting ice time...even better when they get some experience and win.
SixStringSamurai

Postby The Bad Guy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:40 am

Alpha wrote:IF we get a healthy Stamkos back, I seriously doubt the Caps want to see the Lightning in the first round. The ONLY thing the Caps have proven is that no matter the record...they **** the bed come playoff time.

The Pens are CLEARLY the team to beat in the east. Even over WAS. And until the Caps prove to me they can make hay in the playoffs, I have ZERO faith in their chances to do so.

If you get Stammer back is the exact reason my support for you guys was on hold. The Capitals have started their yearly collapse. They were up 9 points roughly 10 days ago but lost four in a row and play the Wild tonight. The Pens meanwhile won 4 in a row but lost in a shootout to the Flames last night (10 in a row for them). Flames are insane right now. Hell of a game.

I'll be perfectly contempt not seeing the Lightning (see: Vasilevsky) in the playoffs.
The Bad Guy

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:26 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:
Alpha wrote:IF we get a healthy Stamkos back, I seriously doubt the Caps want to see the Lightning in the first round. The ONLY thing the Caps have proven is that no matter the record...they **** the bed come playoff time.

If you get Stammer back is the exact reason my support for you guys was on hold. The Capitals have started their yearly collapse. They were up 9 points roughly 10 days ago but lost four in a row and play the Wild tonight. The Pens meanwhile won 4 in a row but lost in a shootout to the Flames last night (10 in a row for them). Flames are insane right now. Hell of a game.

I'll be perfectly contempt not seeing the Lightning (see: Vasilevsky) in the playoffs.

Don't look now...

The Lightning are right there.

Boo!
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Uh oh...

The Moose Jaw/Syracuse Lightning are now tied for the wild card and 3 points behind Boston for 3rd in the division.

There are sphincters clenching all over the East right now.

Please Santa...give us Montreal. They've been our bitches for several years now...and being on top of the East...that would be just fine, thank you.
Alpha

Postby The Bad Guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Good luck versus the Caps tonight. Take em down.
The Bad Guy

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:41 am

Looks like the Bolts shot their load.

Helluva effort. all things considered.

Maybe we stay healthier next year.
Alpha

Previous

Return to Other Sports