Combine News

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Combine News

Postby terrytate » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

Running a 4.22 is BEYOND super fast..

Coupled with some pretty damn good production (at least last year), this ain't the normal "fast guy who can only run" enigma...

Keep in mind that it's in shorts. We already knew he was super fast and could play. But I think what Naismith is saying is that this doesn't catapult him into top 10 discussion. I agree with that.

What he isn't is that it shouldn't, but it likely will.

Personally, my opinion hasn't changed. He's still a lightning fast, somewhat small WR with rebuilt knees. My doctors opinion would count for more than a stopwatch at this point.

I've mentioned this in other threads but it's worth repeating. I really like where we are in this draft. There are going to be some outstanding talents available to us who play positions we desperately need.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:30 pm

terrytate wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Keep in mind that it's in shorts. We already knew he was super fast and could play. But I think what Naismith is saying is that this doesn't catapult him into top 10 discussion. I agree with that.

What he isn't is that it shouldn't, but it likely will.

Personally, my opinion hasn't changed. He's still a lightning fast, somewhat small WR with rebuilt knees. My doctors opinion would count for more than a stopwatch at this point.

I've mentioned this in other threads but it's worth repeating. I really like where we are in this draft. There are going to be some outstanding talents available to us who play positions we desperately need.

I very much agree with that last point. There are gonna be some great players available at 19 no doubt
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:46 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Another knock people are putting on Ross is the Alabama game and how Ross was shut down.

Let's not forget that Browning had Jonathan Allen, Tim Williams, Dashawn Hand, and Reuben Foster in his face every snap.

Good as Ross is, He's not going to get separation from Marlon Humphry that Browning can exploit while he's running for his life.

This.

A nasty pass rush will always be the best way to derail a deep ball offense.

Ross...Man. He'd look good rocking the alarm clock red down the sideline with Jameis loading up and seeing if he can overthrow him (because he probably can't.)

Oh, you're bringing a safety over the top because you have to? Well, there's #13 physically dominating single coverage.

No, wait, you're keeping your safeties deep? Here comes Charles Sims out of the backfield making linebackers miss. Or Quizz Rodgers spinning through the first level and looking at green.

Not that? There's Cam Brate heading straight up the seam to where the safeties have vacated.
Or there's Hump running a smoke route, behind a block from ME, with one man to beat.

These are exciting thoughts.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:47 am

4.22? Al Davis just jizzed in his grave.
Doctor

Postby Kress » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:56 am

Me too. But I'm not in my grave yet. That's just silly fast.
Kress

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:35 am

I'd sell him.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:24 am

I don't know how much stock some here have in SPARQ athletic testing, but Dalvin Cook ranked in the 9th % based on his combine workout.

No RB that scored in the botton 10% has been drafted in the 1st round in the past 16 years.
DreadNaught

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:51 am

DreadNaught wrote:I don't know how much stock some here have in SPARQ athletic testing, but Dalvin Cook ranked in the 9th % based on his combine workout.

No RB that scored in the botton 10% has been drafted in the 1st round in the past 16 years.

He didn't look good. What we can probably say is that Tampa now has a chance to draft him. I'm guessing most here would probably want to pass. Before the combine, I thought there was no way he would slip past the Colts, now who knows? Jax at 4 and Carolina at 8 ain't happening now for sure I think.

I think it is also safe to say that Dalvin Cook runs faster than 4.5 when he plays football. He just does. Watch any highlight clip and it is demonstrably clear. But going by history it does seem like he falls out of the 1st at this point. But if he runs a 4.45 at his pro day perhaps all is forgiven.
Brazen331

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:55 am

Cook is going to fall..no doubt...even with a stellar pro-day..

Reading the tea leaves, and gun to my head right now, if we sign DJax, I'd damn near bet that Cook will be our selection at #19..

Ugh...
Super K

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:58 am

A little off topic, but Bama is having a ****ing HORRIBLE combine..

Foster sent home/kicked out for an altercation with a doc/nurse during medical testing..

Williams admitting to failing MULTIPLE drug tests..

I have no idea how that university and Saban stay so clean..they should be getting destroyed for this crap, not to mention past issues with the program..
Super K

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:13 am

I hate the bench portion of the combine..flat benching is about the WORST exercise one could use to try and illustrate "functional" upper body strength as it pertains to football...

If you want to bench, incline benching should be used, but I digress...

That being said, Demarcus Walker only getting 18 reps at 225 is highly concerning and ****ing horrible for a man of his size and supposed/alleged power..
Super K

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 am

Super K wrote:Cook is going to fall..no doubt...even with a stellar pro-day..

Reading the tea leaves, and gun to my head right now, if we sign DJax, I'd damn near bet that Cook will be our selection at #19..

Ugh...

I see no evidence of this...wait...Jameis Winston, VHIII, Roberto Aguayo..Dalvin Cook...I suppose we could throw in Njoku and Teez as possibilities for the pick as well. I see a state-school bent to our selections and aquisitions.
Brazen331

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Super K wrote:Cook is going to fall..no doubt...even with a stellar pro-day..

Ugh...

I see no evidence of this...wait...Jameis Winston, VHIII, Roberto Aguayo..Dalvin Cook...I suppose we could throw in Njoku and Teez as possibilities for the pick as well. I see a state-school bent to our selections and aquisitions.

I've got no empirical evidence...just a gut feeling..

Cook is all over the Bucs app, multiple sites report that he and JW communicate regularly, we, obviously, have a need at RB with Dougie going all "28 weeks" on us coupled with his inconsistent performance...

Add to the DK's comments about wanting to be faster and/or more explosive...

I'll gladly, GLADLY eat crow if/when wrong as I've stated multiple times that Cook is not only the wrong RB for us, but I also HATE the idea of going RB in round #1..

But if he's on the board, he'll be the pick me thinks..
Super K

Postby Naismith » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Super K wrote:But if he's on the board, he'll be the pick me thinks..

I think if he had a good combine across the board, he still wouldn't be the pick at 19. I just don't think he's the type of RB the Bucs want to feature.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Naismith wrote:
Super K wrote:But if he's on the board, he'll be the pick me thinks..

I think if he had a good combine across the board, he still wouldn't be the pick at 19. I just don't think he's the type of RB the Bucs want to feature.

Again, hoping you are right and I am wrong..
Super K

Postby Swashy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Heidguy wrote:
Teitan wrote:
I was just typing this!

I just typed this.

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by not having a car! I take John Ross to get me to work. You should see how the kid handles rush hour on 275.

SUCKERS!!
Swashy

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:59 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I don't know how much stock some here have in SPARQ athletic testing, but Dalvin Cook ranked in the 9th % based on his combine workout.

You mean 90th%?

Interesting to know, but I don't think anyone truly thinks Cool is not explosive.
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:39 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

You mean 90th%?

Interesting to know, but I don't think anyone truly thinks Cool is not explosive.

No, he's means the bottom 10%

If your dispute is with the way the entire world has chosen to phrase the concept of "percentile"s - then I agree with you. It makes very little intuitive sense to describe somebody's supreme intelligence as "in the 95th percentile", to ellicite the concept that his intelligence resides in the remaining upper 5%, but it's what people have decided to do. It's an artifact of statistical jargon. He's just following along with the standard used by literally everyone else in the world. He's saying Dalvin Cook is, by the SPARQ measurement of "explosiveness", is in the 9th percentile, or that 91% of athletes tested by this measure are "more explosive" than Dalvin Cook.
beardmcdoug

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:41 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

You mean 90th%?

No, he meant 9th, as in really low. He had to be hurt, because no one since this SPARQ was created has performed so bad and turned out to be really good. It doesnt mean its guarenteed. Trent Richardson was in the 90s, like Fournette, and sucked.

I never wanted Cook in the first place, so I am hoping he drops past us.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Who will link up the 10 yard times the quickest? Post if you know - please.
mdb1958

Postby Buc2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 pm

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Another knock people are putting on Ross is the Alabama game and how Ross was shut down.

Let's not forget that Browning had Jonathan Allen, Tim Williams, Dashawn Hand, and Reuben Foster in his face every snap.

Good as Ross is, He's not going to get separation from Marlon Humphry that Browning can exploit while he's running for his life.

This.

A nasty pass rush will always be the best way to derail a deep ball offense.

Ross...Man. He'd look good rocking the alarm clock red down the sideline with Jameis loading up and seeing if he can overthrow him (because he probably can't.)

Oh, you're bringing a safety over the top because you have to? Well, there's #13 physically dominating single coverage.

No, wait, you're keeping your safeties deep? Here comes Charles Sims out of the backfield making linebackers miss. Or Quizz Rodgers spinning through the first level and looking at green.

Not that? There's Cam Brate heading straight up the seam to where the safeties have vacated.
Or there's Hump running a smoke route, behind a block from ME, with one man to beat.

These are exciting thoughts.

Exciting? Hell yes!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Not to derail the compelling discussion, but I had to record the entire combine and now have tonight and tomorrow morning to smash it all in.
Notes:

Skipping the OL forty, because useless.

Elflein is snapping a ball at every drill. Only one doing it but I'd say he wants to play center. Good movement.

Bolles looks like a chubby JJ Watt. Guy is an athlete and his kick drill is excellent.

Zach Banner can't move backwards. Looked exactly like that on the field.

Dan Feeny is a first round guy. Do not be shocked when he goes.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Some LB's were freakin motoring today in the 40..

Duke Riley - 4.58... pretty damn impressive

Peppers ran a 4.46...DAMN!

Is Bouleware not running or is it just not his turn yet?

If I was him, I wouldn't run either..he's gonna drop a 4.9 and look like a fool compared to alot of these guys...
Super K

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:23 pm

I think Bolles put himself in the top 20 with his combine. He was already regarded one of the top OL this draft but it's better physically than expected.

Solomon Thomas might be top 10 now. He put up amazing numbers and don't expect him to make it past the Saints or Browns if he falls past that.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Taylor Moton is a name I kept seeing, but a tape I never looked at. Guy looks like a pro to me. Like his body control.

I thought Jon Toth was bigger than that. I see why they like Marpet for center. Very similar build.

Chad Wheeler's knee is fine. Botched his stunt drill. Narrow base.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:06 pm

I see why everyone was geeking over McCaffrey and Kamara.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Super K wrote:Some LB's were freakin motoring today in the 40..

If I was him, I wouldn't run either..he's gonna drop a 4.9 and look like a fool compared to alot of these guys...

Haasan Reddick - he will be a good linebacker.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:09 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Super K wrote:Some LB's were freakin motoring today in the 40..

Haasan Reddick - he will be a good linebacker.

NFL.com had him listed as DL, but yeah a 4.52 40 is moving..

6'1" - 237lbs...and that speed? Damn fine SLB prospect...especially considering he played DE in college...

I mean look at Peppers...he may have ran a 4.46, but he only weighed in at 213...Reddick's 40 is all the more impressive...
Super K

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:22 pm

This is a really deep and exciting draft. The QB and OT tackle classes are light but everything else is deeeep. Cleveland and Tennessee have to be loving it.
terrytate

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:18 am

1st group WR

Zay Jones with a nice 4.46 to go with a great senior bowl and 399 catches in college.

Kupp slower than I thought. Figured 4.55 ran a 4.62

KD Cannon natural runner

I'm worried that Shelton Gibson declared too early.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk