Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Matt Reeves To Direct A New Batman Trilogy With An All-New Joker!

https://moviepilot.com/p/dceu-rumor-mat ... er/4209707

I still want to see Affleck's Batman movie, but I'd be very happy with cutting Leto's Joker. I like Leto as an actor but thought his Joker was horrendous. My biggest takeaway from Suicide Squad (which I enjoyed even though I didn't think it was "good") was "I don't want that Joker anywhere near the new Batman." It was the very first thing I said when leaving the theater.

According to that article, which was basically a rumor, Leto and Affleck may be out, but for just this Batman series. That would be a horrible mistake.

edit: I just read that Affleck wants out of DCU bad and that will force their hand. I just think it will be bad to have Affleck Batman in Justice League with a standalone Batman to be completely different, but they may not have a choice.
uscbucsfan

Postby reptarcrunch » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:
I still want to see Affleck's Batman movie, but I'd be very happy with cutting Leto's Joker. I like Leto as an actor but thought his Joker was horrendous. My biggest takeaway from Suicide Squad (which I enjoyed even though I didn't think it was "good") was "I don't want that Joker anywhere near the new Batman." It was the very first thing I said when leaving the theater.

According to that article, which was basically a rumor, Leto and Affleck may be out, but for just this Batman series. That would be a horrible mistake.

edit: I just read that Affleck wants out of DCU bad and that will force their hand. I just think it will be bad to have Affleck Batman in Justice League with a standalone Batman to be completely different, but they may not have a choice.

that was also a huge rumor that even the guy who ran it said should be taken with a huge grain of salt and nobody should run the story
reptarcrunch

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:58 pm

DC should just admit mistake and start over fresh with a shared universe. Focus on building the world and the characters that live in it then go nuts with crossovers and team ups.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:DC should just admit mistake and start over fresh with a shared universe. Focus on building the world and the characters that live in it then go nuts with crossovers and team ups.

Way too early to call for a start over. 1 major thing not going in their favor is the MCU. Unfortunately the average human brain is unable to process differences between similar entities. The projects are always compared. The funny thing though is most hardcore fans don't know what they truly want. Marvel is often criticized for steering away from source material aka the comic books yet people love the movies. DCU follows their source material MUCH MORE than Marvel does, yet their movies get criticized mainly because they don't follow suit with Marvel. These are 2 different universes, 2 different studios. Logically speaking why would they be built the same exact way? That's not realistic and it's quite frankly boring.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:DC should just admit mistake and start over fresh with a shared universe. Focus on building the world and the characters that live in it then go nuts with crossovers and team ups.

Way too early to call for a start over. 1 major thing not going in their favor is the MCU. Unfortunately the average human brain is unable to process differences between similar entities. The projects are always compared. The funny thing though is most hardcore fans don't know what they truly want. Marvel is often criticized for steering away from source material aka the comic books yet people love the movies. DCU follows their source material MUCH MORE than Marvel does, yet their movies get criticized mainly because they don't follow suit with Marvel. These are 2 different universes, 2 different studios. Logically speaking why would they be built the same exact way? That's not realistic and it's quite frankly boring.

The issue with the DCU is they make bad movies. Source material or not viewers want to see good movies and the MCU delivers while DCU drops the ball every time.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

The issue with the DCU is they make bad movies. Source material or not viewers want to see good movies and the MCU delivers while DCU drops the ball every time.

Yeah, this is where I sit..Although the MCU has had some flops (IM3)..

And the whole "DC stays true to the source material" thing, cmon now...

What comic resembles anything like MOS? Or Little Lex Luthor "creating" Doomsday like a fucked up science experiment?

And if these examples DO match storylines, then the issue I have is using source material isn't mainstream enough..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:53 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

That's another story. I was speaking mainly on Miller saying they should start over and go the route of Marvel.
Bootz2004

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:38 am

Phantom Phenom

Postby Buc You » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Anyone else feeling like Logan is going to be a disappointment like the last 2 Wolverine movies? I want to be excited for it but I'm not confident Fox can deliver on this franchise.
Buc You

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Buc You wrote:Anyone else feeling like Logan is going to be a disappointment like the last 2 Wolverine movies? I want to be excited for it but I'm not confident Fox can deliver on this franchise.

I like what I see from the previews. I will admit I'm most excited this is the last Wolverine movie though.
PrimeMinister

Postby 2.0 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Buc You wrote:Anyone else feeling like Logan is going to be a disappointment like the last 2 Wolverine movies? I want to be excited for it but I'm not confident Fox can deliver on this franchise.

For what it's worth it is getting really good reviews

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 pm

With this franchise it has seemingly gone in a pattern with the trilogies. The 3rd film has always been the worst (Last Stand, Apocalypse) while the 2nd film was seen as the best (X2, Days of future past). So we'll see what happens.
Bootz2004

Postby Buc You » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:14 am

Bootz2004 wrote:The 3rd film has always been the worst (Last Stand, Apocalypse) while the 2nd film was seen as the best (X2, Days of future past)

That doesn't bode well given that the last 2 Wolverine's were, at best, not good.
Buc You

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Matt Reeves has officially signed in for The Batman (after rumors of walking away). Affleck is confirmed to be staying on board, as well.

Additionally, Chris McKay (Lego Batman) will be making a Nightwing movie.
Deja Entendu

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:37 pm

With Matt Reeves as the New Batman director, joker guaranteed to be recast
Phantom Phenom

Postby Super K » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:With Matt Reeves as the New Batman director, joker guaranteed to be recast

Not sure if that is a 100% guarantee...

However I think a recast is a good move imo..I didn't care for Leto's Joker depiction in SS..
Super K

Postby Deja Entendu » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Super K wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:With Matt Reeves as the New Batman director, joker guaranteed to be recast

Not sure if that is a 100% guarantee...

However I think a recast is a good move imo..I didn't care for Leto's Joker depiction in SS..

I disliked just about everything about his version.
Deja Entendu

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Logan has a 93%
uscbucsfan

Postby Corsair » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:05 pm

How so?
Corsair

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:41 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Corsair » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:32 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/yesclash.com/2016/11/17/breaking-news-jared-leto-out-the-joker-to-be-recast-in-dceus-future/amp/

What does a blog post from Nov 17th 2016 have to do with the announcement on Feb 23 2017 that Reeves will take over as Director?

You may end up being right, but your assertion that Reeves hiring "guarantees" that Leto will be re-cast doesn't hold any water.

Can you cite some connection between the two?
Corsair

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

It shouldn't be built the same exact way, nobody said that. DC rushed out BvS to kickstart their shared universe to try and catch up to Marvel. You can say that they are going a different approach to be different than Marvel developing their characters and setting up major stories over time, but the end result on screens shows me sloppily thrown together cash grabs. With Reeves back on board of The Batman and rumors of Affleck wanting out starting to go quiet, things are looking better for DC but if those things fell apart and their 2017 releases don't do well it would be tough for them to salvage this universe. For now, it mostly rests on Justice League. If that movie does poorly critically and at the box office, it's hard to justify keeping on the same path.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 pm

Saw Logan

Spoiler:
Just as dry and boring as the trailers indicate.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:28 pm

LMFAO Bootz...don't know if it's because it's late and I'm tired, but your spoiler cracked me the **** up...
Super K

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:30 pm

So Bootz thinks Logan is boring but thinks the DCEU is awesome, lol. :lol:
Miller4Prez64

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:16 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:So Bootz thinks Logan is boring but thinks the DCEU is awesome, lol. :lol:

Have you seen Logan? Or are you simply choosing not to go see movies for yourself and relying soley on critics reviews per the usual?
Bootz2004

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:So Bootz thinks Logan is boring but thinks the DCEU is awesome, lol. :lol:

Have you seen Logan? Or are you simply choosing not to go see movies for yourself and relying soley on critics reviews per the usual?

I've seen Logan, and what I saw was one of the best combinations of intimate storytelling and brutal violence and action in a movie in quite some time. With an ending that had my eyes starting to water. It wasn't a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination, but it was far from boring and close to DOFP for best FOX Marvel film not named Deadpool. An appropriate send off for Hugh Jackman.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 am

Just saw Logan. Worse xmen movies
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:44 am

Saw Logan tonight and enjoyed it. That's a great send off for the actors playing Wolverine and Professor X. "Logan" is more drama than super hero movie, but it works well. Also the little girl stole the show imo. Fox might be onto something with these rated R movies. Keep it up.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Just rewatch xmen Apocalypse. I think bootz said Apocalypse is weak villian ? I don't see it, he was powerful villain XMen ever faced He wasn't prepare for Dark Phoenix tho
Phantom Phenom

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic