Madden 18

This is where you would discuss your fantasy team. Look for advice, as well as talk about your favorite video games. The Geekery so to speak.
Madden 18

Postby The Outsider » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Well, I picked it up last night because why the **** not. Madden has continued it's role as FIFA's shittier younger brother. I haven't played enough to really give an honest opinion of the gameplay itself, but I have been playing Longshot, the new story mode. It's actually pretty good, but insanely short. I'm 65% through and I've played for maybe 3 hours.

Will post a gameplay review once I've been able to play a game or two.
The Outsider

Re: Madden 18

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Look forward to it.
Rocker

Postby The Outsider » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:39 pm

So I literally just finished Longshot. Apparently you have to be 100% perfect to get drafted as I only got a couple of questions and playcalls wrong while being flawless in drills and other challenges. It clocked in at somewhere around 3.5 hours. Compare this with FIFA 17's The Journey which, even if you skip every skippable scene and practice, is easily many times longer. Definitely something that takes multiple sessions to play through.

My verdict on this game mode is that it is worth playing in that it's relatively well done and entertaining. However it is disappointing in it's shallowness and lack of length.
The Outsider

Postby Teitan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:06 am

Hopefully something to build on next game.. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow, probably. Or just keep playing rainbow 6. Undecided.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:55 am

I completed long shot as well, found it enjoyable. Definitely very short, but considering it was somewhat of an experiment, that was to be expected. Playing Franchise mode now and enjoying it. Didn't get Madden last year, but this years game seems to be better in terms of running the ball. In years past my main criticism of Maddens gameplay was that you had a better chance of completing a Hail Mary than you did getting 5 yards on a rush up the middle. Much better balance now.
real bucs fan

Postby The Outsider » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:56 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I completed long shot as well, found it enjoyable. Definitely very short, but considering it was somewhat of an experiment, that was to be expected. Playing Franchise mode now and enjoying it. Didn't get Madden last year, but this years game seems to be better in terms of running the ball. In years past my main criticism of Maddens gameplay was that you had a better chance of completing a Hail Mary than you did getting 5 yards on a rush up the middle. Much better balance now.

It actually wasn't really an experiment. They took The Journey from FIFA and adapted it to Madden. All of the baseline tech for it was already developed and it was known to be a successful format.

It was typical Tiburon laziness that stunted what could have been a great story.

Oh, and the soundtrack still sucks tons of *****.
The Outsider

Postby Teitan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Does that mode have any replay value? Different positions or anything like that?
Teitan

Postby The Outsider » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Teitan wrote:Does that mode have any replay value? Different positions or anything like that?

Different endings is all. You're always a QB. Your best friend is always a receiver. And the different endings are dependent on things that don't really make sense. For example, I aced every physical drill, scrimmage, and all of the challenges during the last physical evaluation. I beat Dan Marino in an accuracy contest. However, when first learning play calls I made a mistake on two of them. I also opted for a riskier 3rd down pass to pick up the first (which I pulled off) rather than taking the check down. Somehow those few things lead to me not getting drafted despite being essentially the greatest prospect ever.

Longshot has a lot of potential as I said and due to the length and production value it is worth playing, however compared to what the FIFA studio pulled off using the same engine, mo-cap stuff, etc. Tiburon put out a very, very inferior product. Which shouldn't surprise anyone. They haven't made a game anything better that mediocre in almost a decade.
The Outsider

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:23 pm

The Outsider wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I completed long shot as well, found it enjoyable. Definitely very short, but considering it was somewhat of an experiment, that was to be expected. Playing Franchise mode now and enjoying it. Didn't get Madden last year, but this years game seems to be better in terms of running the ball. In years past my main criticism of Maddens gameplay was that you had a better chance of completing a Hail Mary than you did getting 5 yards on a rush up the middle. Much better balance now.

It actually wasn't really an experiment. They took The Journey from FIFA and adapted it to Madden. All of the baseline tech for it was already developed and it was known to be a successful format.

It was typical Tiburon laziness that stunted what could have been a great story.

I meant as an experiment in terms of selling a story mode to football fans.
real bucs fan

Postby Nano » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:25 pm

The only thing longshot did for me was make me really want to play the NCAA series again.
Nano

Postby The Outsider » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 am

real bucs fan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I meant as an experiment in terms of selling a story mode to football fans.

I don't think it's hard to sell a story mode to gamers regardless of the subject matter.
The Outsider

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 am

The Outsider wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I meant as an experiment in terms of selling a story mode to football fans.

I don't think it's hard to sell a story mode to gamers regardless of the subject matter.

I always viewed Madden as a game only football fans bought.
real bucs fan

Postby The Outsider » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:01 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I always viewed Madden as a game only football fans bought.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. In fact I'm willing to bet that the majority of Madden players also play video games that involve some sort of story mode (CoD, Battlefield, Halo, MMOs, etc.)
The Outsider

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 pm

The Outsider wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I always viewed Madden as a game only football fans bought.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. In fact I'm willing to bet that the majority of Madden players also play video games that involve some sort of story mode (CoD, Battlefield, Halo, MMOs, etc.)

Well there isn't really a way to tell, but most of the folks I know who play Madden are football fans and they generally just use their PS4 for Madden and streaming/movies. Speaking for myself, the only game I've bought besides Madden games since I got my PS4 was Metal Gear Solid (though my PS4 came with GTA5 and The Last Of Us so have played/beat those games as well).
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:04 pm

I got drafted by the Bucs in the 6th. I was not flawless.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:31 pm

I went undrafted but was purposely a huge **** to everyone lol
real bucs fan

Postby The Outsider » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:24 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Well there isn't really a way to tell, but most of the folks I know who play Madden are football fans and they generally just use their PS4 for Madden and streaming/movies. Speaking for myself, the only game I've bought besides Madden games since I got my PS4 was Metal Gear Solid (though my PS4 came with GTA5 and The Last Of Us so have played/beat those games as well).

One thing I hadn't really thought about in this is Madden dropping from the PC market which probably alienated quite a few fans.

I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a high end pc and a console along with games and peripherals for both so I've kept up with Madden. I imagine there are a lot of people who can't afford both platforms and therefore forgo Madden each year.

I certainly did for the couple of years I had no console.
The Outsider

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:59 am

The Outsider wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Well there isn't really a way to tell, but most of the folks I know who play Madden are football fans and they generally just use their PS4 for Madden and streaming/movies. Speaking for myself, the only game I've bought besides Madden games since I got my PS4 was Metal Gear Solid (though my PS4 came with GTA5 and The Last Of Us so have played/beat those games as well).

One thing I hadn't really thought about in this is Madden dropping from the PC market which probably alienated quite a few fans.

I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a high end pc and a console along with games and peripherals for both so I've kept up with Madden. I imagine there are a lot of people who can't afford both platforms and therefore forgo Madden each year.

I certainly did for the couple of years I had no console.

I was a "only have xbox for Madden" guy until Rocket League own'ed my sole. now it's a chore to play Madden just so I can move on to the next week.
Noles1724

Postby The Outsider » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:40 pm

So I've played enough to give a decent impression of the actual football side of the game.

So run blocking appears to be largely fixed, the blockers no longer randomly disengage their blocks now. Zone coverage also seems to be less shitty, but man still appears to be more consistent. Another thing I noticed is that there seem to be less ridiculous tipped passes where four or five guys tip it before it's picked or hits the ground. Frankly, other than those few things the game is essentially Madden 17 with updated roster.

In terms of player progression the game is still rather broken. For the purposes of testing I boosted Noah Spence to 99 ovr and have simmed through three seasons. He has a grand total of 16 sacks. Two of those three years my leading pass rusher was a DT. So clearly the game has the same issues with players accruing appropriate stat lines for their position and overall rating. This also applies to corners routinely being bested in INT numbers by linebackers. So also basically Madden 17.

Honestly, after everything I've seen in the last few days I cannot recommend buying this game for any more than 20-25 bucks.
The Outsider

Postby Teitan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:29 am

Playing franchise. Folk has missed 6 extra points (simmed). I fixed that.

Teitan

Postby Nano » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:33 am

Tucker is only an 84?
Nano

Postby Teitan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 am

Yeah, and apparently the computer missing extra points is just a thing they are doing this year. Still missing some, opposing teams missing as well. Lame.
Teitan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm

IchabodCrane84

Postby The Outsider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:50 am

Teitan wrote:Yeah, and apparently the computer missing extra points is just a thing they are doing this year. Still missing some, opposing teams missing as well. Lame.

I typically play offense only in franchise and I can't do that anymore. Even at 99 ovr I will still have a kicker miss 7-8 xps a year. If you actually play every game he'll miss about 2 per. It's ridiculous.
The Outsider

Postby Teitan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am

The Outsider wrote:
Teitan wrote:Yeah, and apparently the computer missing extra points is just a thing they are doing this year. Still missing some, opposing teams missing as well. Lame.

I typically play offense only in franchise and I can't do that anymore. Even at 99 ovr I will still have a kicker miss 7-8 xps a year. If you actually play every game he'll miss about 2 per. It's ridiculous.

Yep that's how I do it too. It seems every game both kickers missed 1 or 2 when simmed.
Teitan

Postby .irishHITMAN4rent » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Anyone else finding it near impossible to play defense??
.irishHITMAN4rent

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:07 pm

.irishHITMAN4rent wrote:Anyone else finding it near impossible to play defense??

I am. Online it seems like most games are a shootout. My DBs don't make smart plays on the ball or seem unaware the WR has made a cut until the ball is there.
PrimeMinister

Postby The Outsider » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 pm

.irishHITMAN4rent wrote:Anyone else finding it near impossible to play defense??

I haven't had a huge problem beyond dbs being retarded as usual.
The Outsider

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:32 am

I think if you're building a team in this years Madden, defensively I'd look for Elite DBs and elite DL. I like to rush the passer with a DT, so an elite DT and elite CBs is where I'd spend that money first.
real bucs fan

Postby Wesmon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:51 am

The Outsider wrote:So I've played enough to give a decent impression of the actual football side of the game.

So run blocking appears to be largely fixed, the blockers no longer randomly disengage their blocks now. Zone coverage also seems to be less shitty, but man still appears to be more consistent. Another thing I noticed is that there seem to be less ridiculous tipped passes where four or five guys tip it before it's picked or hits the ground. Frankly, other than those few things the game is essentially Madden 17 with updated roster.

In terms of player progression the game is still rather broken. For the purposes of testing I boosted Noah Spence to 99 ovr and have simmed through three seasons. He has a grand total of 16 sacks. Two of those three years my leading pass rusher was a DT. So clearly the game has the same issues with players accruing appropriate stat lines for their position and overall rating. This also applies to corners routinely being bested in INT numbers by linebackers. So also basically Madden 17.

Honestly, after everything I've seen in the last few days I cannot recommend buying this game for any more than 20-25 bucks.

I was thinking about getting it but after reading your review I will pass.
Wesmon

Return to Fantasy Sport/Video Games