Clash of Clans

This is where you would discuss your fantasy team. Look for advice, as well as talk about your favorite video games. The Geekery so to speak.
post

Clash of Clans

Postby PetePierson » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:39 pm

#DorkAlert

I know.

Anyone playing Clash of Clans? About 20 guys on my floor at work are, and it is pretty much all they talk about. They play at lunch, on break, etc...

So being the lemming that I am, I gave in and downloaded the app to my phone. It is pretty addictive for sure. Reminds on of the old Command & Conquer or Star Craft.

Still trying to figure out how to download it on my ASUS tablet.... stupid windows.
Image
User avatar
PetePierson
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm
Location: Yucks Fan in Kitty Country.
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby KJ707 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:26 pm

I play. It's addictive, though there's a limit to how far one can actually progress in this game without wasting money on gems. Though I do suggest you to not use your gems on anything until you get 4 builders :)
Image
KJ707
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby Ironworker808 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:20 pm

I've been playing CoC for almost two years and have managed to spend exactly zero dollars. It's possible to do so, just realize that you're going to progress slowly.

I'm only a level eight town hall, but I upgrade everything before going to the next TH level. And I mean everything. Walls, troop research, etc.

My name on CoC is, of course, Ironworker808. Currently clanless, but I don't mind at this point. Just grinding out, upgrading walls (I save those for last, usually) and hoarding gems for now.

Started playing Boom Beach a while back. Love that one too. Made by the same developer, supercell.
User avatar
Ironworker808
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm
Location: High
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby PetePierson » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:25 am

Ironworker808 wrote:I've been playing CoC for almost two years and have managed to spend exactly zero dollars. It's possible to do so, just realize that you're going to progress slowly.

I'm only a level eight town hall, but I upgrade everything before going to the next TH level. And I mean everything. Walls, troop research, etc.

My name on CoC is, of course, Ironworker808. Currently clanless, but I don't mind at this point. Just grinding out, upgrading walls (I save those for last, usually) and hoarding gems for now.

Started playing Boom Beach a while back. Love that one too. Made by the same developer, supercell.


Waiting to upgrade TH after everything else must be a common theme. Guys at work have told me the same thing. I spend like $5 bucks on gems one time. Figured it was much cheaper than going to the pub for the night. Probably won't do it again.... maybe.

Definitely agree that you just have to be patient and grind it out.

Is the only revenue for SuperCell (for CoC) from people buying Gems? I have yet to see an ad or anything? Or like most apps, just gather as much data from phone and sell it to Big Data 'miners'?
Image
User avatar
PetePierson
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm
Location: Yucks Fan in Kitty Country.
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby PetePierson » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:22 am

MODS - Please move to the Fantasy / Video Games Forum.

My bad for putting it in the Nerdery.
Image
User avatar
PetePierson
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm
Location: Yucks Fan in Kitty Country.
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby BucJordan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:29 pm

I started playing with a few friends in November and I'm already up to Town Level 7 (including every possible building from Town Level 6). I haven't spent any money out of pocket, but I do occasional surveys via the Google Opinion Rewards app that gives me Google Play credit, so I've used about $15 bucks from that to buy gems and get to 4 builders, plus boost some mines here and there. I'd never buy anything else with Google Play credit anyway.
BucJordan
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby Ironworker808 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:19 pm

PetePierson wrote:
Ironworker808 wrote:I've been playing CoC for almost two years and have managed to spend exactly zero dollars. It's possible to do so, just realize that you're going to progress slowly.

I'm only a level eight town hall, but I upgrade everything before going to the next TH level. And I mean everything. Walls, troop research, etc.

My name on CoC is, of course, Ironworker808. Currently clanless, but I don't mind at this point. Just grinding out, upgrading walls (I save those for last, usually) and hoarding gems for now.

Started playing Boom Beach a while back. Love that one too. Made by the same developer, supercell.


Waiting to upgrade TH after everything else must be a common theme. Guys at work have told me the same thing. I spend like $5 bucks on gems one time. Figured it was much cheaper than going to the pub for the night. Probably won't do it again.... maybe.

Definitely agree that you just have to be patient and grind it out.

Is the only revenue for SuperCell (for CoC) from people buying Gems? I have yet to see an ad or anything? Or like most apps, just gather as much data from phone and sell it to Big Data 'miners'?


You upgrade TH last because who gets to see your base for attack is based on your TH level, and the amount of trophies you have.

Yeah, Gems (in app purchases) are their only revenue...to the tune of about one and a half million dollars...a day. Sickening, isn't it? Diamonds are the in app currency for Boom Beach. That one brings in a few hundred thousand a day. I'm in the wrong business.

I've seen several different ads for both CoC and Boom Beach. Cute ads. Gives personalities to the different troops.
User avatar
Ironworker808
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm
Location: High
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby PetePierson » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:02 am

Ironworker808 wrote:I've seen several different ads for both CoC and Boom Beach. Cute ads. Gives personalities to the different troops.


Sorry, I wasn't clear. I too have seen the ads on TV and of course the Super Bowl ad. I meant ads / redirects when I log on the app.

It is crazy that SuperCell is hauling in that much revenue on just players purchasing "gems" / diamonds.
Image
User avatar
PetePierson
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm
Location: Yucks Fan in Kitty Country.
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby KJ707 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Ironworker808 wrote:
PetePierson wrote:
Waiting to upgrade TH after everything else must be a common theme. Guys at work have told me the same thing. I spend like $5 bucks on gems one time. Figured it was much cheaper than going to the pub for the night. Probably won't do it again.... maybe.

Definitely agree that you just have to be patient and grind it out.

Is the only revenue for SuperCell (for CoC) from people buying Gems? I have yet to see an ad or anything? Or like most apps, just gather as much data from phone and sell it to Big Data 'miners'?


You upgrade TH last because who gets to see your base for attack is based on your TH level, and the amount of trophies you have.

Yeah, Gems (in app purchases) are their only revenue...to the tune of about one and a half million dollars...a day. Sickening, isn't it? Diamonds are the in app currency for Boom Beach. That one brings in a few hundred thousand a day. I'm in the wrong business.

I've seen several different ads for both CoC and Boom Beach. Cute ads. Gives personalities to the different troops.


Upgrading the TH last is mainly more so that when you raid you get less loot due to the penalty for attacking bases with TH levels lower than yours. It ends up costing you on defense.

Image
KJ707
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby Ironworker808 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:21 am

Couple things, Pete...

Don't upgrade more than one defensive structure at a time. Leaves you weak against attacks. Ran across a base where the guy was upgrading three of his air defenses at the same time. Swooped in with a squadron of dragons and wiped his ass out, lol.

And always leave one builder free. That'll let you upgrade your walls (which are immediate) and clear obstacles as you get gold/elixir. The less resources you have built up, the less you'll be attacked.
User avatar
Ironworker808
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm
Location: High
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby PetePierson » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:29 am

Ironworker808 wrote:Couple things, Pete...

Don't upgrade more than one defensive structure at a time. Leaves you weak against attacks. Ran across a base where the guy was upgrading three of his air defenses at the same time. Swooped in with a squadron of dragons and wiped his ass out, lol.

And always leave one builder free. That'll let you upgrade your walls (which are immediate) and clear obstacles as you get gold/elixir. The less resources you have built up, the less you'll be attacked.


Thanks IW. I have all my walls maxed out currently. Still waiting to upgrade a few other things before my TH. Definitely tough to keep one builder available when you are first starting out and only have two!
Image
User avatar
PetePierson
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm
Location: Yucks Fan in Kitty Country.
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby Ironworker808 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:18 pm

PetePierson wrote:
Ironworker808 wrote:Couple things, Pete...

Don't upgrade more than one defensive structure at a time. Leaves you weak against attacks. Ran across a base where the guy was upgrading three of his air defenses at the same time. Swooped in with a squadron of dragons and wiped his ass out, lol.

And always leave one builder free. That'll let you upgrade your walls (which are immediate) and clear obstacles as you get gold/elixir. The less resources you have built up, the less you'll be attacked.


Thanks IW. I have all my walls maxed out currently. Still waiting to upgrade a few other things before my TH. Definitely tough to keep one builder available when you are first starting out and only have two!


Very true. I hoarded gems until I had four builders. Not going to get a fifth. Doesn't seem to be a point. Only other gem spends I do are when SuperCell rolls out the specials...one gem for a 24 hour boost, or something like that. Once you get your walls to lvl 9, you can start using gold AND elixir to upgrade them.
User avatar
Ironworker808
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm
Location: High
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Keeping one builder open is not a good thing, IMO. You always want to have all of them allocated to upgrade as much as possible, although it's incredibly difficult at high levels. You want to build up as fast as possible. Most, like myself, wait to do the walls until after all the defenses are upgraded...as it's not nearly as important as the defenses themselves. The walls cost 1 mil per wall for me, so if I were to "upgrade on the side" I would never finish anything.

My advice is to upgrade troops before anything else. Wizards, Golem, Witch, Pekka, Heroes are most important and best for wars and Archers, Barbarians, Balloons, and minions are all great for farming.

All my time goes to war...my clan has 130 war wins and we are constantly warring...so it's difficult to upgrade heroes and I donate over 1,000 troops a season.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby KJ707 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:48 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Keeping one builder open is not a good thing, IMO. You always want to have all of them allocated to upgrade as much as possible, although it's incredibly difficult at high levels. You want to build up as fast as possible. Most, like myself, wait to do the walls until after all the defenses are upgraded...as it's not nearly as important as the defenses themselves. The walls cost 1 mil per wall for me, so if I were to "upgrade on the side" I would never finish anything.


+1

It's pointless to have 4 builders when you are wasting one just sitting there. On a sidenote, Ironworker did mention he did a raid with a squad of dragons against someone who was upgrading air defense... Hope he profited from that expensive raid.
Image
KJ707
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:35 am

KJ707 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Keeping one builder open is not a good thing, IMO. You always want to have all of them allocated to upgrade as much as possible, although it's incredibly difficult at high levels. You want to build up as fast as possible. Most, like myself, wait to do the walls until after all the defenses are upgraded...as it's not nearly as important as the defenses themselves. The walls cost 1 mil per wall for me, so if I were to "upgrade on the side" I would never finish anything.


+1

It's pointless to have 4 builders when you are wasting one just sitting there. On a sidenote, Ironworker did mention he did a raid with a squad of dragons against someone who was upgrading air defense... Hope he profited from that expensive raid.


I don't think I've "raided" with anything other than barch since Clan Wars started. I gowipe or gowiwi during clan wars...I was lost for a while after the Hog nerf.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby KJ707 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:51 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
KJ707 wrote:
+1

It's pointless to have 4 builders when you are wasting one just sitting there. On a sidenote, Ironworker did mention he did a raid with a squad of dragons against someone who was upgrading air defense... Hope he profited from that expensive raid.


I don't think I've "raided" with anything other than barch since Clan Wars started. I gowipe or gowiwi during clan wars...I was lost for a while after the Hog nerf.


Yep. When I attack I use the Barch method. In Clan Wars as of now I go Dragons/Balloons for now while I upgrade my other stuff. Probably will go Balloonion again when I upgrade to Level 6 balloons... but that will be a long while from now.
Image
KJ707
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 pm

KJ707 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
I don't think I've "raided" with anything other than barch since Clan Wars started. I gowipe or gowiwi during clan wars...I was lost for a while after the Hog nerf.


Yep. When I attack I use the Barch method. In Clan Wars as of now I go Dragons/Balloons for now while I upgrade my other stuff. Probably will go Balloonion again when I upgrade to Level 6 balloons... but that will be a long while from now.

I have lvl 6 loons and donate a ton to th8s (who love air attacks in war), but I don't like them. I just have more control and confidence in GoWiPe than anything else. Maybe when I get my minions up (only lvl 3), I'll go back, but it's too hit or miss for me right now.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 1555
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby PetePierson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:36 am

Barch, GoWipe?
Image
User avatar
PetePierson
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm
Location: Yucks Fan in Kitty Country.
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby KJ707 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:19 pm

PetePierson wrote:Barch, GoWipe?


They are attacking strategies. Barch = Barbs/Archers... Basically using the barbs as a meat shield with archers behind it. This is the most cost/effective attack strategy. It's good for simple raids. I would suggest this as you are just starting out.



GoWiPe is Golem/Wizzies/Pekka attack strategy.

Image
KJ707
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby IronDog » Fri May 08, 2015 6:20 pm

I'm gar in TheLazyLooterz clan. Not having much success in the wars but i donate a bunch. I don't spend endless hours so my fighting experience is not that good. Look me up.
Image
User avatar
IronDog
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Clash of Clans

Postby Teitan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:08 am

I just started playing recently. For the same reason, people at work got me in to it. Bought a couple .99$ gem packs but that's all. Currently a TH8. We participate in wars pretty frequently.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 95 times


post

Return to Fantasy Sport/Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest