Just bought a gaming PC

This is where you would discuss your fantasy team. Look for advice, as well as talk about your favorite video games. The Geekery so to speak.
Just bought a gaming PC

Postby GrudenHatesMe » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Well, I've decided to join the PC gaming master race. First time having a PC for gaming, and I need a list of games that you guys think are must haves! I plan on getting Fallout 4 and Skyrim. Other than that, I'm not sure what to get next.
GrudenHatesMe

Re: Just bought a gaming PC

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:19 pm

Once you get Fallout4 ..

you won't need anything else
Crocaneers

Postby The Outsider » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:46 pm

Witcher 3 is pretty incredible. As are Civilization V, CS:GO, and Battlefield 4.
The Outsider

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:26 am

I had a lot of fun with Just Cause 3. Not a whole lot of variety, but tethering a guy to a compressed gas tank and then shooting the tank to send him flying is just stupid fun.
bucfanclw

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 am

bucfanclw wrote:I had a lot of fun with Just Cause 3. Not a whole lot of variety, but tethering a guy to a compressed gas tank and then shooting the tank to send him flying is just stupid fun.

One of these days I'll update my console and get that one. I play JC2 whenever I can wrestle the controller from my son. Beaten the storyline 3 times, but enjoy gallivanting around Panau when I get the chance.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby GrudenHatesMe » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:13 am

Ohhh yeah I forgot about Witcher 3. Looks great but I never played the other two. Is it enough of a stand alone that it doesn't matter? And is Just Cause an open world type of game?
GrudenHatesMe

Postby The Outsider » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:38 pm

GrudenHatesMe wrote:Ohhh yeah I forgot about Witcher 3. Looks great but I never played the other two. Is it enough of a stand alone that it doesn't matter? And is Just Cause an open world type of game?

Yeah, it's story is pretty insular. You could read up on the plot to the first two here: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Witcher_Wiki if you wanted to, but I wouldn't consider it essential. I'd suggest you play the first two but they're extremely clunky and more frustrating than fun, though the writing and visual design are magnificent.

Edit: Just be careful to avoid anything related to the third game on that wikia site.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:33 pm

GrudenHatesMe wrote:And is Just Cause an open world type of game?

Yeah, Just Cause 2 and 3 are open world games with maps that are 400 square miles. they are 3rd person perspective and you can see umpteen gameplay videos of creative chaos on youtube.

I'm a big fan.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:21 pm

bucfanclw

Postby Nano » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:15 pm

That actually pretty much sums the Just Cause series up. You're going into the game for story, but to play as the immortal Rico who, like Yahzee says, can do pretty much anything. That said, Just Cause can tend to get boring after awhile. All the locations are copy-city, and the main missions are not that unique.
Nano

Postby BucNation » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:03 pm

GrudenHatesMe wrote:Well, I've decided to join the PC gaming master race. First time having a PC for gaming, and I need a list of games that you guys think are must haves! I plan on getting Fallout 4 and Skyrim. Other than that, I'm not sure what to get next.

Welcome to PC gaming! Now, just don't turned into an PC master race elitist douchebag.

Curious, what are your specs? Some games like the Witcher require higher specs than others.

Google "Can I Run It?" and see if your system can run the games you want before spending your money.

Also, check out g2a.com. You can get games for DIRT cheap.
BucNation

Postby terrytate » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:39 am

BucNation wrote:
GrudenHatesMe wrote:Well, I've decided to join the PC gaming master race. First time having a PC for gaming, and I need a list of games that you guys think are must haves! I plan on getting Fallout 4 and Skyrim. Other than that, I'm not sure what to get next.

Welcome to PC gaming! Now, just don't turned into an PC master race elitist douchebag.

Curious, what are your specs? Some games like the Witcher require higher specs than others.

Google "Can I Run It?" and see if your system can run the games you want before spending your money.

Members of the PC master race only seem like douchbags to console slaves and people with inferior comps.

I want to pick up Witcher but I am still trying to finish DA:Inquisition and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I just don't have as much time as I'd like to play my games.
terrytate

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:02 am

Nano wrote:That actually pretty much sums the Just Cause series up. You're going into the game for story, but to play as the immortal Rico who, like Yahzee says, can do pretty much anything. That said, Just Cause can tend to get boring after awhile. All the locations are copy-city, and the main missions are not that unique.

Never gets old with me. If I wanna kill bad guys, I kill bad guys. If I wanna drive like a maniac, I drive like a maniac. I can climb buildings like frickin spider man, BASE jump, skydive, stunt fly, parasail, or go boating.

JC2 is the ONLY game I have played in the last 3 years. I watch my son play GTA5 and find it to be completely lacking in comparison.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PieRat » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:17 pm

Welcome to the Master Race!

Late to the thread but thought I would also offer up some suggestions. Witcher 3 is a must have if you like Skyrim, so I agree with others here on that. Speaking of Skyrim. Google skyrim nexus if you are not already familiar with it. Register there and you can mod your heart out. They have ENB's (Compatibility issues with win 10 though) and other mods there that will make the game even more beautiful as well as all other kinds of stuff. There might even be a nexus page for the witcher as well.

If you have ever been interested in space sims then Check out Elite Dangerous, and star Citizen among others. Star Citizen is currently in Alpha with only a handful of system/planets available. squadron 42 the single player portion of that games releases this year.

If you were ever a Battletech/MechWarrior fan then there is also MechWarrior Online.

Also and this isn't just for PC, but also the XBone as well. Check out a game called Ark Survival Evolved. If you like survival type games. This one also has dinosaurs.

the newest XCOM game is out as well, but I have not had a chance to play with that one as of yet. Ark has been eating up most of my time when the kids aren't pestering me to fire up the minecraft server LOL.

Also get Steam if you have not yet and save the wallet till they have their big holiday and other sales throughout the year.

A couple of titles I have mentioned above have some controversies surrounding them and I wont go into all of that here. Will just say visit youtube, twitch, reddit groups and check them out for yourself. Namely MWO, and Star Citizen.

EDIT: Just a note about the controversy with Star CItizen. the poop stirrer is a man named Derek Smart. If you are not familiar with him he is infamous in the PC gaming world. from way, way, way back. read up on him (as well as google derek smart coke machine and flame wars of the 90s). Before you believe a word from his mouth. He is the lone developer of many failed games including the infamous battle cruiser 3000. Specifically space sims. Look up his game on Steam called line of defense. It has been in development a lot longer than Star Citizen. Anyway while there. On the side (right) click on the developers name and look at the reviews for all of his games. Just giving some perspective out there as a lot of people do not know the history with this guy. Its bad enough that there is a whole subreddit dedicated to this guy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/
PieRat

Postby bearlandbucfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Some great suggestions for you here. Fall Out 4 and Witcher 3 are must gets. I've been playing Black Desert recently.
bearlandbucfan

Postby GrudenHatesMe » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions. I played Fallout 4 for a while, it was fun. I got Witcher 3, but to be honest I'm really not a fan of the control scheme or the combat, kinda ruins it for me. I just beat Tomb Raider, and now I'm downloading quest mods for Skyrim. I gotta say, Modding Skyrim has been the most awesome thing about having a pc so far.
GrudenHatesMe

Postby GrudenHatesMe » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:42 pm

BucNation wrote:

120GB hard drive, Intel Core i5 processor. 8GB of RAM and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 graphics card
GrudenHatesMe

Postby Nano » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 am

I'd be cautious about the grey market sites like g2a and Kinguin. Not exactly the most trustworthy sites, and certain devs(notably Ubisoft) have revoked licenses from keys bought on those sites.
Nano

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:56 am

GrudenHatesMe wrote:
BucNation wrote:

120GB hard drive, Intel Core i5 processor. 8GB of RAM and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 graphics card

Just some advice, get another hard drive or two. You can get a HDD in the 1 TB range for around 70 bucks.
The Outsider

Postby terrytate » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:17 pm

The Outsider wrote:
GrudenHatesMe wrote:

Just some advice, get another hard drive or two. You can get a HDD in the 1 TB range for around 70 bucks.

This is good advice. I assume that since the main drive is so small it's an SSD, right?
terrytate

Postby A Man's Part » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:35 am

terrytate wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

This is good advice. I assume that since the main drive is so small it's an SSD, right?

Has to be. I don't think 120gb hard drives are readily available anymore.

That's good for an OS disk, but for media he will need another drive for sure.
A Man's Part

Postby terrytate » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:36 am

A Man's Part wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Has to be. I don't think 120gb hard drives are readily available anymore.

That's good for an OS disk, but for media he will need another drive for sure.

I assumed the same. I was going to give a warning not to fill that bad boy to more than 75% maximum and to never defrag it.
terrytate

Return to Fantasy Sport/Video Games