Next Gen PS5 & Xbox 2020 News / Rumors

This is where you would discuss your fantasy team. Look for advice, as well as talk about your favorite video games. The Geekery so to speak.
Next Gen PS5 & Xbox 2020 News / Rumors

Postby TheChefO » Tue May 14, 2019 9:34 am

https://www.t3.com/news/ps5-tip-off-rev ... nfiltrated

PS5 Rumored Spec:
CPU: Zen2 3.2GHz 8-Core
GPU: 56CU - 1.8Ghz - 12.9TF (based on recent 5700xt perf, this looks to be a 56CU version of the 40CU 5700xt running at 1.8Ghz instead of 1.905Ghz)
RAM: 24GB
HDD: SSD NVME
Cost: $500

Performance Comparison: Vega64
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2143

https://www.t3.com/news/xbox-two-more-p ... le-sources

XBOX Gen4 Rumored Spec:
CPU: Zen2 Based (likely) - Confirmed
GPU: Navi Based (likely) - Confirmed
RAM: Unknown
HDD: Unknown - SSD - Confirmed
Cost: Unknown
Last edited by TheChefO on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
TheChefO

Re: Next Gen PS5 & Xbox 2020 News / Rumors

Postby Stuart » Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 am

Meh, not much difference in my PS3 &ps4 IMO

I am peeved that they make me pay a subscription fee each year now, but I get it. It was one of the reasons I initially went that route. I REALLY REALLY wish they still supported Gran Turismo5 so I could race my 1,000 cars and use my racing wheel/pedals setup online. Of course if doesn't work on PS4, so you'd have to buy a new wheel. So thats 400 for the PS4, 300 for the wheel and COUNTLESS hours getting the new cars.

If I did I'd get the Sony though, as I see no fifference in effects in the systems.
MUTED FOR YOUR SAFETY
Stuart

Postby TheChefO » Tue May 14, 2019 10:00 am

Spoiler:
Stuart wrote:Meh, not much difference in my PS3 &ps4 IMO

I am peeved that they make me pay a subscription fee each year now, but I get it. It was one of the reasons I initially went that route. I REALLY REALLY wish they still supported Gran Turismo5 so I could race my 1,000 cars and use my racing wheel/pedals setup online. Of course if doesn't work on PS4, so you'd have to buy a new wheel. So thats 400 for the PS4, 300 for the wheel and COUNTLESS hours getting the new cars.

If I did I'd get the Sony though, as I see no fifference in effects in the systems.

PS3 used a completely different architecture (CELL) and GPU vendor (Nvidia).

IMO, they should have built on Cell for PS4 as it was designed to scale very well, but their new AMD relationship has worked well for them as the new PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4 based on more advanced AMD tech.

To your wheel issue, it should be PC compatible and they've made good strides there lately with PS3 emulation.

Last edited by TheChefO on Tue May 14, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheChefO

Postby Stuart » Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 am

yeah but my setup is designed to pull up to my couch and would not work in computer room. besides looses it's appeal when going from big screen dolby to computer size etc....... and some of those races are hours long. those guys (racing gamers with driving simulators and/or good wheel setups) take it serious and it takes a long time to get all the cars and get good in the process.

guess I shouldn't be a bitch about it. but the wheel for the ps4 is the exact same in almost every aspect. guess I just reached the FU point to them switching all the time to get you to buy new gear. don't forget the other 100+ for decent headphones/mic lol
MUTED FOR YOUR SAFETY
Stuart

Postby TheChefO » Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 am

Spoiler:
Stuart wrote:yeah but my setup is designed to pull up to my couch and would not work in computer room. besides looses it's appeal when going from big screen dolby to computer size etc....... and some of those races are hours long. those guys (racing gamers with driving simulators and/or good wheel setups) take it serious and it takes a long time to get all the cars and get good in the process.

guess I shouldn't be a bitch about it. but the wheel for the ps4 is the exact same in almost every aspect. guess I just reached the FU point to them switching all the time to get you to buy new gear. don't forget the other 100+ for decent headphones/mic lol

I've had PCs hooked up in the livingroom for well over a decade now.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... oard-k400r

To the compatibility question, are you sure your old ps3 model isn't compatible with ps4? Which model is it?

Good news is both of the new consoles should be backwards compatible based on the same architecture.
TheChefO

Postby Stuart » Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am

meh, if they keep up their **** I'm going back to pong, vhs and 8 tracks
MUTED FOR YOUR SAFETY
Stuart

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:13 pm

New XBOX:

the team of engineers building the console said it would be capable of 8K resolution graphics, frame rates of up to 120fps and ray-tracing. All in all, they promised a “40x” performance boost over the current generation.

“Immersive experiences begin at the very heart of the console, at the silicone level itself,” said Spencer. “Together with our partners at AMD we have co-engineers and custom designed a state of the art processor for Project Scarlett.”

All of that will be made possible by three key components:

Custom-designed CPU based on AMD’s Zen 2 and Radeon RDNA architecture.
High bandwidth GDDR6 memory.
Next-generation solid-state drive (SSD).
Ray Tracing
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby TheChefO » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 am

uscbucsfan wrote:...I bet that's misleading 120 fps...

Old first gen Athlons could run Quake 1 at hundreds of frames per second ... a very misleading marketing bullet point unless they have hardware which mandates a framerate (they don't).

Spoiler:
I'd be all for a locked frame rate option and really, AMD and Nvidia should have long ago been pushing for this as a mandate.

24, 30, 48, 60, 90, 120

These should all be the available lockstep framerates which are adhered to for a consistent user experience. The time it takes to render a frame causes rate fluctuations depending on what else the computer is doing, flooding of bus bandwidth, lack off access to required assets, physics modeling etc.
All of that should be background to the consistency of the display of the game world.

Nearly impossible in traditional PC environments as Windows and many other applications running in the background, but inexcusable on console.
The only ones that still pay detailed attention to consistent frame rate these days are Japanese developers.
TheChefO

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:57 am

It sounds like them using the Zen2 from AMD with GDDR6 is something positive. From what I've read, people are saying it's supposed to "be a game changer"and will have TSMC's 7nm process node. What the hell does that mean for the console? lol.

Accidentally edited my previous post.
uscbucsfan

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 am

I was hoping the VR would be a feature for the next xbox. I've not tried the VR for PS but I believe it's pretty good and between the two current versions it's the only thing that really sticks out between to the two consoles.
Noles1724

Postby TheChefO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Noles1724 wrote:I was hoping the VR would be a feature for the next xbox. I've not tried the VR for PS but I believe it's pretty good and between the two current versions it's the only thing that really sticks out between to the two consoles.

You should try it. It is pretty good, but the resolution is really a downer. Feels about on par with 1st gen playstation even though the resolution is many multiples of it, but it's spread across a much "larger" area.

4k res vr should help quite a bit and the new boxes should be capable.
TheChefO

Postby TheChefO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:02 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:It sounds like them using the Zen2 from AMD with GDDR6 is something positive. From what I've read, people are saying it's supposed to "be a game changer"and will have TSMC's 7nm process node. What the hell does that mean for the console? lol.

Accidentally edited my previous post.

It is a good base and seems both will once again have nearly the same kit with slight variance. Biggest disappointment with ps4/xbone was the cpu was very weak in market comparison to when x360 and ps3 launched.

I wouldn't call either a "game changer" ... marketing bs.
The SSD will be a nice perk, but not quite a game changer.

In fact, this will likely be the smallest technological leap from gen to gen since ... tough to say, lol. Typically Moores law was pushing through right along with innovation in hardware accelerated graphics chips that were jumping by leaps and bounds in the 80's 90's and early 00's.

Graphics-wise, ps3>ps4 was a 10x increase in power, but the cpu was maybe a bit better ... maybe.

This go round xbone going from 1.3tf to 13tf certainly fits the bill of a ten fold increase, but that's assuming xbx didn't exist.
ps4 at 1.8tf to 13tf about 7x and again ignoring ps4pro.

But hey, at least they won't be stuck running cpus that were designed for laptop/netbooks this time!
TheChefO

Postby TheChefO » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:59 pm

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15232/mi ... liday-2020

Interesting design choice. Glad they didn't decide to ditch the optical media.

Eyeballing it ... looks to be about 5"x5"x10" ... pretty small for the rumored spec.
TheChefO

Postby Deuce » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:25 pm

TheChefO wrote:Interesting design choice. Glad they didn't decide to ditch the optical media.

Eyeballing it ... looks to be about 5"x5"x10" ... pretty small for the rumored spec.

People have estimated it based on the controller. It's supposedly about a foot tall and 6" wide, so you're pretty close.
Deuce

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:28 pm

I personally like the design.. simple but different. I'm pretty sure these will be the last consoles that are made. Streaming services are really going to be the next frontier IMHO
Noles1724

Postby TheChefO » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Noles1724 wrote:... I'm pretty sure these will be the last consoles that are made. Streaming services are really going to be the next frontier IMHO

People said that before xbone and ps4 were announced. In fact, there was a looming concern that people would just game on their phones ... 100 million ps4's later, and it turns out people still like consoles, even if they waste some idle time "gaming" on their phones... or streaming an internet dependent experience with the latencies inherently associated.
TheChefO

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 am

TheChefO wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:... I'm pretty sure these will be the last consoles that are made. Streaming services are really going to be the next frontier IMHO

People said that before xbone and ps4 were announced. In fact, there was a looming concern that people would just game on their phones ... 100 million ps4's later, and it turns out people still like consoles, even if they waste some idle time "gaming" on their phones... or streaming an internet dependent experience with the latencies inherently associated.

You're wrong.

The idiololgy to steam may have existed, but the infrastructure was far from being in place. That's rapidly changing.
Noles1724

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:41 am

Noles1724 wrote:
TheChefO wrote:

You're wrong.

The idiololgy to steam may have existed, but the infrastructure was far from being in place. That's rapidly changing.

Have you tried the Xbox console streaming? They have a beta thing now where you can play on your phone. Your controller connects to it through bluebooth.

I downloaded everything one day and spent a while setting everything up, and then it said it wasn't available in my region.
Deuce

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:22 pm

Deuce wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:
You're wrong.

Have you tried the Xbox console streaming? They have a beta thing now where you can play on your phone. Your controller connects to it through bluebooth.

I downloaded everything one day and spent a while setting everything up, and then it said it wasn't available in my region.

I have not. Haven't dug too much into it, but I'd assume that it's an additional fee and since I just recently cancelled my EA Access Sub (that I rarely used) and forgot to cancel my NFL Gamepass before it auto renewed, I'm keeping myself from adding additional fee's to my life at the moment.
Noles1724

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I have not. Haven't dug too much into it, but I'd assume that it's an additional fee and since I just recently cancelled my EA Access Sub (that I rarely used) and forgot to cancel my NFL Gamepass before it auto renewed, I'm keeping myself from adding additional fee's to my life at the moment.

It's not an additional fee. They're still testing it at this point. No idea if they plan to make it an additional fee in the future.

How's RL going? I keep getting up to Diamond 3 and then losing my way back down to Diamond 1. I'd really like to get the Champ rewards for 1 season, even if I never do it again.
Deuce

Postby Nano » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
TheChefO wrote:

You're wrong.

Pretty much. When this gen released...streaming was still in infancy. Now you have GamePass, PS Now, EA Access/Origin, and Uplay. And with rumors that Activision is possibly planning their own service. You can almost get any game lol.
Nano

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Deuce wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

It's not an additional fee. They're still testing it at this point. No idea if they plan to make it an additional fee in the future.

How's RL going? I keep getting up to Diamond 3 and then losing my way back down to Diamond 1. I'd really like to get the Champ rewards for 1 season, even if I never do it again.

it's going. I just recently got to Diamond 2 Div III in 3's but lost a few and struggling to hold on to Diamond 1.

for 2's, I'm floating in the Diamond 1/2 last season but still working on my placement matches as I'm only playing those with my son as he wants to play with the big boys now.

what sucks is that I never got my rewards for last season.. the game glitched or something during the update. If I do ever get to Champ, I'll probably hang the game up at that point.
Noles1724

Postby TheChefO » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:38 am

Noles1724 wrote:
TheChefO wrote:

You're wrong...

2010 Onlive:

2011 Gaikai:

The problem with these services is inherent in the platform.

A cluster of compute power (even local) will have higher latency than gaming directly. No amount of increased bandwidth will change this. All increased bandwidth will do is enable higher quality, less compressed imagery.
The compute demand will also be the same as local. The only benefit may arise in using the same servers that were busy 8-5pm and after 5 had/have some idle time in the evening.

Aside from these issues, there is the issue of not owning the media/game. If a game you like isn't popular enough, it will be removed to make room for more popular/profitable ones.

The only advantage such a system could offer is in significantly larger & more complex & interactive gaming worlds and simulations. However, this promise has yet to be delivered as the processing power required to deliver such an experience is quite a bit more expensive than most are willing to pay. Microsoft was teasing this concept years ago. The numbers just don't work yet.

TheChefO

Postby TheChefO » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:30 pm

Sony says it has sold 104 million PS4 units, which makes it the second best-selling game console in history behind the PS2.

Sony has sold more than 5 million PlayStation VR headsets since the device launched in October 2016.

New logo revealed ... nothing surprising.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/6/21019 ... s-ces-2020
TheChefO

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:34 pm

I really wish xbox would get into the VR game.

anyone have any experience with PS VR? good? bad? not worth it?
Noles1724

Postby TheChefO » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:49 pm

Noles1724 wrote:I really wish xbox would get into the VR game.

They probably will. New box is more than capable.

PSVR is pretty good. Just too low on the resolution front. Very convincing other than the obvious "blocky" res that's unfortunately expected when taking a 1080p display and encompassing your entire field of view within it.

4k displays should help significantly.
TheChefO

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:12 pm

I have an Occulus Rift S that I **** around with on PC. It's cool but definitely not advanced enough to be worth it for anyone other than nerds with too much disposable income.
The Outsider

Postby Deuce » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 am

The Outsider wrote:

I have an Occulus Rift S that I **** around with on PC. It's cool but definitely not advanced enough to be worth it for anyone other than nerds with too much disposable income.

Some family that I visited over the holidays had an Oculus. They said it was whatever the newest one is.

It was really cool, I didn't know the VR stuff was that advanced yet. But they basically had a Star Wars game and Beat Saber. I was at their house for 4 days and played for maybe two hours total and I got tired of the games. I did see that Super Hot was available and that seems like it'd be cool. But I'd have to wait for some better games, and I probably wouldn't buy one at the price.
Deuce

Postby The Outsider » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:39 am

Deuce wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Some family that I visited over the holidays had an Oculus. They said it was whatever the newest one is.

It was really cool, I didn't know the VR stuff was that advanced yet. But they basically had a Star Wars game and Beat Saber. I was at their house for 4 days and played for maybe two hours total and I got tired of the games. I did see that Super Hot was available and that seems like it'd be cool. But I'd have to wait for some better games, and I probably wouldn't buy one at the price.

My favorite VR game is Elite Dangerous. It is a great spaceflight sim that really works well with VR headsets.
The Outsider

Postby terrytate » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:31 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Deuce wrote:

My favorite VR game is Elite Dangerous. It is a great spaceflight sim that really works well with VR headsets.

Good game early on but it gets bland pretty fast.
terrytate

Next

Return to Fantasy Sport/Video Games