2018 Fantasy Football Discussion Thread

This is where you would discuss your fantasy team. Look for advice, as well as talk about your favorite video games. The Geekery so to speak.
2018 Fantasy Football Discussion Thread

Postby Konatown » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Figured I’d kick off a thread with fantasy draft season quickly approaching.

My 12 team (standard scoring league) distributed draft orders and I am currently picking 5th. I’ve pretty much kissed Gurley and Bell goodbye but if Zeke or David Johnson fall my plan is to scoop them up. If all 4 are gone I’m left with AB or any remaining RB. This league is built on RB’s, I’m going back and forth if I should go for Saquan Barkley/WR in the 2nd such as Adams/Evans,etc. Or do I go AB and hope a RB like McCoy or Freeman falls to my 2nd pick? Really don’t wanna be stranded with a McCaffrey type as my main RB1, so I’m leaning towards Barkley then WR in the 2nd, even though AB is the consensus higher rated player.

Thoughts?
Konatown

Re: 2018 Fantasy Football Discussion Thread

Postby acmillis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:28 am

WR are deeper than RB this year so I'd scoop a RB in round 1.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 am

Oh man, this time of year is rough. I always start reading this stuff and think "Jeez, I have no idea who's even going in Round 1.", "Isn't David Johnson injured?" or "Is Barkley really going that high?"

Time to start reading articles and listening to podcasts.
Deuce

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:34 am

Who would ya'll keep? Jordan Howard or Kenyan Drake
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:43 am

beardmcdoug wrote:Who would ya'll keep? Jordan Howard or Kenyan Drake

Howard
DreadNaught

Postby Konatown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 am

Howard. Drake played well down he stretch but I prefer Howard’s body of work. Cohen may steal some carries but Howard is still the main guy. I’m hoping to nab in him the 3rd if I’m lucky.
Konatown

Postby Konatown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 am

I didn’t really think of Barkley as an option at first, but with all the recent rookie RB success I think he’s got top 5 potential based on the number of carries/catches he’s sure to get. Plus NY added some nice pieces to their OL in Solder/Hernandez.
Konatown

Postby acmillis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 am

Konatown wrote:I didn’t really think of Barkley as an option at first, but with all the recent rookie RB success I think he’s got top 5 potential based on the number of carries/catches he’s sure to get. Plus NY added some nice pieces to their OL in Solder/Hernandez.

Barkley is more valuable in a keeper league than a year-to year league. Once Eli is gone, as long is Barkley isn't complete garbage, he could easily get 400 touches/year for the foreseeable future.
acmillis

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:17 am

Howard. He should see an increase in his pass catching opportunities with Nagy running the show. And while Drake is probably the #1 back in Miami, I wouldn't ignore the presence of Damien Williams, Kallen Ballage and even 78 year old Frank Gore.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:22 am

Konatown wrote:I didn’t really think of Barkley as an option at first, but with all the recent rookie RB success I think he’s got top 5 potential based on the number of carries/catches he’s sure to get. Plus NY added some nice pieces to their OL in Solder/Hernandez.

Late 1st for sure but personally I don't trust Pat Shurmur's offense. It's big play dependent, but Barkley and Beckham are big play guys. I just don't think with Eli at the helm Barkley will see many unloaded boxes. He's going to have a tough go of it early.
Bootz2004

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 pm

I agree, thanks for the input fellas. going with Howard
beardmcdoug

Postby Doctor » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:16 am

I'd go with Drake. Sorry for the late chime in.

We keeping it on Yahoo? I'd be up for seeing if we want to switch it to ESPN. This is literally the only league I know that's on Yahoo.
Doctor

Postby Buc2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 am

Doctor wrote:I'd go with Drake. Sorry for the late chime in.

We keeping it on Yahoo? I'd be up for seeing if we want to switch it to ESPN. This is literally the only league I know that's on Yahoo.

What difference does it make?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BucJordan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:38 am

Konatown wrote:Figured I’d kick off a thread with fantasy draft season quickly approaching.

My 12 team (standard scoring league) distributed draft orders and I am currently picking 5th. I’ve pretty much kissed Gurley and Bell goodbye but if Zeke or David Johnson fall my plan is to scoop them up. If all 4 are gone I’m left with AB or any remaining RB. This league is built on RB’s, I’m going back and forth if I should go for Saquan Barkley/WR in the 2nd such as Adams/Evans,etc. Or do I go AB and hope a RB like McCoy or Freeman falls to my 2nd pick? Really don’t wanna be stranded with a McCaffrey type as my main RB1, so I’m leaning towards Barkley then WR in the 2nd, even though AB is the consensus higher rated player.

Thoughts?

I've always liked giving out the draft order well ahead of time to give players time to strategize and mock if they choose.

5th is maybe the worst spot to draft in this year for the reason you stated. The top 4 RBs typically go 1-4 and I hate to reach so would probably have to take AB or Hopkins at 5. But then you're left choosing between McCaffrey and Mixon as your RB1 next time around or just punting on RB and looking for diamonds in the rough later. WR is just so deep compared to RB - Isaiah Crowell is going around the same pick as Cooper Kupp - so I typically like my team a lot better when I can lock up one top RB early.
BucJordan

Postby Doctor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'd go with Drake. Sorry for the late chime in.

What difference does it make?

Convenience, like who the **** uses yahoo. It's like there's 12 good messenger apps but your one friend insists on using Google Hangouts.
Doctor

Postby acmillis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:39 am

I prefer Yahoo to ESPN.
acmillis

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:48 am

Picking 8th of 12 in my cash league, assuming the top 4 RBs are gone, would you guys rather go WR at 8 or target one of the secondary RBs?
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am

real bucs fan wrote:Picking 8th of 12 in my cash league, assuming the top 4 RBs are gone, would you guys rather go WR at 8 or target one of the secondary RBs?

I would take whoever's left out of Brown, Hopkins, Beckham, Julio or Michael Thomas.

But if you wanted to go Kamara or Hunt, I wouldn't blame you.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:38 am

Deuce wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Picking 8th of 12 in my cash league, assuming the top 4 RBs are gone, would you guys rather go WR at 8 or target one of the secondary RBs?

I would take whoever's left out of Brown, Hopkins, Beckham, Julio or Michael Thomas.

But if you wanted to go Kamara or Hunt, I wouldn't blame you.

I go AB, Julio or Hunt.
acmillis

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 pm

I’m guessing AB, Barkley and Kamara are off too. In which case it’d be between Julio, Hopkins and Hunt I think. Leaning towards Hunt as I think I can get Adams or Evans in round 2 while the RBs will be gone.
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:08 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I’m guessing AB, Barkley and Kamara are off too. In which case it’d be between Julio, Hopkins and Hunt I think. Leaning towards Hunt as I think I can get Adams or Evans in round 2 while the RBs will be gone.

This is where I’m at, picking 5th. Top 4 RBs should be gone, BPA says to take AB. But I’d rather go Barkley/Adams than Brown/MCCAFFREY.
Konatown

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Konatown wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I’m guessing AB, Barkley and Kamara are off too. In which case it’d be between Julio, Hopkins and Hunt I think. Leaning towards Hunt as I think I can get Adams or Evans in round 2 while the RBs will be gone.

This is where I’m at, picking 5th. Top 4 RBs should be gone, BPA says to take AB. But I’d rather go Barkley/Adams than Brown/MCCAFFREY.

At 5 I’d take Barkley no question. The Giants didn’t take him 2nd overall to platoon him. He’s gonna be fed the rock, and he’s gonna catch a ton of passes too. He just needs to stay healthy but that goes for everyone, and he knows how to save his body.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 am

acmillis wrote:I prefer Yahoo to ESPN.

Especially the app. ESPN isn't bad but their mobile app wasn't my favorite.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:06 am

Yahoo is essentially a fantasy sports website at this point lol
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:08 am

Had my cah league draft last night. Was a live draft, so a lot of fun, but am hungover as a MF and now have to go to a wedding lol. Had the 8th pick in a 12 team league, half point ppr, and my team is:

QB:
Wilson
Cousins

RB:
Hunt
Miller
Sony Michel
Ronald Jones

WR:
Thomas
Hilton
Crabtree
Benjamin

TE:
Engram
Brate

K:
???

D:
Jacksonville
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:32 am

Picked 5th, 12 man standard scoring league. Gurley, Bell, Johnson, Zeke were the first 4 picks.

QB: Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan
RB: Saquon Barkley, Royce Freeman, Mark Ingram, Chris Thompson, James Connor
WR: Devante Adams, Demaryious Thomas, Michael Crabtree, Jameson Crowder
TE: Greg Olson, Greg Kittle
Def: Minnesota
K: Will Lutz

I’m banking on some rookies which is kinda risky, but they’re both in good volume situations. If Ingram comes back playing like last year I should be in great shape.
Konatown

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:15 pm

In a SUPER competitive 12-man, 3-player keeper league (players can only be kept for 3 years and then they go back into draft pool, and time does not reset if they're traded, and keepers cost the round they were drafted in to keep - for instance, Deshaun Watson was a FA pickup mid year last year for somebody, he was traded this offseason, and somebody kept him. He cost a 20th round pick to keep him, since he was a FA, and after this year, he can be kept for 1 more year before going back into the draft -- keeping him for only a 20th represents HUGE value).

Half point PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, (no mandatory TE), 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB, 1 Kicker, bench space only room enough for 1 of each of your starters

... anyways...
I won last year...

My keepers going into this year:
RB - LeVeon (1st rounder to keep, last year I can keep him)
RB - Jordan Howard (13th rounder to keep, last year I can keep him)
WR - DeAndre Hopkins (he fell to me in the 5th round last year, so a 5th to keep, can keep him for 1 more year after this year)

We drafted this past Sunday, my team heading into this year:

QB: Patrick Mahomes (Had A.Rod last year, won the Championship with Bortles as my QB; rolling the dice this year)
RB1: LeVeon Bell
RB2: Jordan Howard
Flex: Peyton Barber
WR1: DeAndre Hopkins
WR2: Mike Evans (I had moved up to the top of the 2nd rounder - after using my 1st to keep Bell - and he fell to my lap - really lucky - major talent drop off right after him)
DL: Myles Garrett
LB: Alec Ogletree
DB: Minkah Fitzpatrick
K: Greg Zeurlein

Reserves:
QB: Keenum (Winston was drafted the pick before this, figured Winston would be the perfect offramp if the Mahomes project went south - got fucked kinda, we'll see how this goes)
RB's: Gio and Aaron Jones (really happy to get Jones late)
WR's: Marquise Goodwin, Calvin Ridley, Christ Godwin (Godwin was late round flier/Evans insurance)
DL: McCoy
LB: T.J. Watt
DB: Derwin James
K: Hauschka
(all these dudes will probably be subbed out for different FA's by week 3 - its just how it always goes with D/K's in this league

I'm a little thin, but my starting O has huge potential. Was glad to get Barber as my flex. If he sucks after a couple weeks, I can plug in Aaron Jones, as he'll just be coming off suspension. Godwin and Ridley might end up being good value keepers for me next year, as I lose both Bell and Howard. I figured Djax is gone next year, so I figure both are in line for a bunch of targets next year (and a decent amount this year)
beardmcdoug

Postby Konatown » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:46 am

Yea that’s a stacked team for starting skill positions. QB is a little risky but I made the playoffs last year off waiver QB’s Smith/Goff. Does the TE get used as a flex?
Konatown

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 am

real bucs fan wrote:Had my cah league draft last night. Was a live draft, so a lot of fun, but am hungover as a MF and now have to go to a wedding lol. Had the 8th pick in a 12 team league, half point ppr, and my team is:

QB:
Wilson
Cousins

RB:
Hunt
Miller
Sony Michel
Ronald Jones

WR:
Thomas
Hilton
Crabtree
Benjamin

TE:
Engram
Brate

K:
???

D:
Jacksonville

I don't love it. How high did you go QB to take Wilson and Cousins? I'm a big proponent of waiting on QB in 1-QB leagues. You should have used the Wilson pick on another RB. Obviously, I love Hunt this year, but I don't like the others. I could easily see all three flaming out or being unreliable. Also, it might help to put first names for WRs like "Thomas" and "Benjamin". I like Michael Thomas and Kelvin Benjamin, don't like Demaryius Thomas and Travis Benjamin. I think Engram is overrated. He did a lot of work when their WR corps was bone dry last year. Love Jacksonville's D but you probably overspent to get them.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:10 am

Konatown wrote:Picked 5th, 12 man standard scoring league. Gurley, Bell, Johnson, Zeke were the first 4 picks.

QB: Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan
RB: Saquon Barkley, Royce Freeman, Mark Ingram, Chris Thompson, James Connor
WR: Devante Adams, Demaryious Thomas, Michael Crabtree, Jameson Crowder
TE: Greg Olson, Greg Kittle
Def: Minnesota
K: Will Lutz

I’m banking on some rookies which is kinda risky, but they’re both in good volume situations. If Ingram comes back playing like last year I should be in great shape.

Same thing as RBF. How high did you go QB? Matt Ryan should be your QB1. I don't like Barkley as a first rounder. Risk is for later picks. In the first, I want the boring, safe guy. Like it or not, we haven't seen Barkley play yet. Freeman is risky, too. I doubt Thompson is super useful in a standard scoring league. I love Mark Ingram this year. The suspension just means value. I like Adams but not liking the rest of your receiving corps. Olsen wasn't great last year, I like Kittle as a sleeper of sorts. I'm not crazy on this team overall, you'll probably need a pickup or two to make it work.
Deuce

Next

Return to Fantasy Sport/Video Games