Madden 19

This is where you would discuss your fantasy team. Look for advice, as well as talk about your favorite video games. The Geekery so to speak.
Madden 19

Postby The Outsider » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:57 pm

So EA did their E3 presentation and Madden 19 is going to be on PC again. First time in 11 years. Wow.
The Outsider

Re: Madden 19

Postby Nano » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Very curious how they're going to handle modding. The #1 thing that modders will try to make is...well...the NCAA. If it's unregulated, you'll probably see every single FBS school within a month. I guess EA could technically wave their hands and say "Well, we didn't make those teams or players, the guys at OS did".

And now I'm thinking of playing a game like Bama vs Clemson with updated graphics and the Madden interface/engine and I suddenly find myself covered in drool.
Nano

Postby The Outsider » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Nano wrote:Very curious how they're going to handle modding. The #1 thing that modders will try to make is...well...the NCAA. If it's unregulated, you'll probably see every single FBS school within a month. I guess EA could technically wave their hands and say "Well, we didn't make those teams or players, the guys at OS did".

And now I'm thinking of playing a game like Bama vs Clemson with updated graphics and the Madden interface/engine and I suddenly find myself covered in drool.

Frostbite is pretty hard to mod so we'll see how that works out.
The Outsider

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:47 am

it's late June and this thread has almost zero info.. seems like a really lack luster year.

I watched a video of someone displaying the new hit stick animation (from E3 or some show) and I wasn't too impressed. On one of the replays, on a kick off, the kicker came down and laid out the kick returner... so yeah If It's In The Game.. We'll put Whatever Else We Want In The Game... E..A.. Sports.
Noles1724

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Noles1724 wrote:it's late June and this thread has almost zero info.. seems like a really lack luster year.

I watched a video of someone displaying the new hit stick animation (from E3 or some show) and I wasn't too impressed. On one of the replays, on a kick off, the kicker came down and laid out the kick returner... so yeah If It's In The Game.. We'll put Whatever Else We Want In The Game... E..A.. Sports.

I don’t think Madden ever has a rabid fan base. There isn’t much to discuss until the game is out.
PrimeMinister

Postby acmillis » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:47 pm

It's lipstick on a pig each year until the NFL does away with the exclusive.
acmillis

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:27 pm

I actually think this looks like one of the most promising in recent years. Looks like they have overhauled franchise mode, updated progression big time and have updated depth charts / schemes to fit the modern game. This will probably be the first one I'll buy in about 5 years
beardmcdoug

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:02 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:I actually think this looks like one of the most promising in recent years. Looks like they have overhauled franchise mode, updated progression big time and have updated depth charts / schemes to fit the modern game. This will probably be the first one I'll buy in about 5 years

Frankly bringing it back to PC shows me they're interested in moving in the right direction.
The Outsider

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:23 am

hope it's decent this year.

I got invited to a 32 man league so that should be cool
Noles1724

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Nano wrote:Very curious how they're going to handle modding. The #1 thing that modders will try to make is...well...the NCAA. If it's unregulated, you'll probably see every single FBS school within a month. I guess EA could technically wave their hands and say "Well, we didn't make those teams or players, the guys at OS did".

If they work in recruiting then people might start reporting me missing and possibly dead.
PanteraCanes

Postby MJW » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:43 am

I've gotten in the habit of playing Madden a bit over the last few years. Maybe an hour or two a week all told. I don't play online or anything. Predictably, I like to build franchises. Draft and develop players, install schemes, etc. I started playing it around Madden 25, three or four years ago I think. Sometimes, I just sim the actual games. It's really rewarding to rebuild the Jets or the Browns, and turn Christian Hackenberg into a star, or grow the Browns defense into a nasty Tampa Two.

I'm excited because franchise mode has been exactly the same since I started playing (and I'm guessing longer than that.) I even know all the menu sequences the first time I play the new edition. Now they're saying this is the year when they actually make fundamental changes to franchise mode. I'm looking forward to that.
MJW

Postby acmillis » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:47 am

MJW wrote:I've gotten in the habit of playing Madden a bit over the last few years. Maybe an hour or two a week all told. I don't play online or anything. Predictably, I like to build franchises. Draft and develop players, install schemes, etc. I started playing it around Madden 25, three or four years ago I think. Sometimes, I just sim the actual games. It's really rewarding to rebuild the Jets or the Browns, and turn Christian Hackenberg into a star, or grow the Browns defense into a nasty Tampa Two.

I'm excited because franchise mode has been exactly the same since I started playing (and I'm guessing longer than that.) I even know all the menu sequences the first time I play the new edition. Now they're saying this is the year when they actually make fundamental changes to franchise mode. I'm looking forward to that.

So then...you're GM Pot Roast
acmillis

Postby MJW » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:01 am

acmillis wrote:
MJW wrote:I've gotten in the habit of playing Madden a bit over the last few years. Maybe an hour or two a week all told. I don't play online or anything. Predictably, I like to build franchises. Draft and develop players, install schemes, etc. I started playing it around Madden 25, three or four years ago I think. Sometimes, I just sim the actual games. It's really rewarding to rebuild the Jets or the Browns, and turn Christian Hackenberg into a star, or grow the Browns defense into a nasty Tampa Two.

So then...you're GM Pot Roast

Please. The first thing I do with the Bucs is try to clean up his messes!
MJW

Postby SIBucsFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Top Five Bucs Ratings:

Lavonte David - 95
Gerald McCoy - 90
Mike Evans - 89
Demar Dotson - 88
Brent Grimes - 86

Other notable ratings

DeSean Jackson - 85
Jason Pierre-Paul - 84
Vinny Curry - 83
Cameron Brate - 82
Bryan Anger - 81
Ali Marpet - 81
Kwon Alexander - 80
Jameis Winston - 80
Chris Godwin - 79
O.J. Howard - 79
Adam Humphries - 79
Vita Vea - 79
Ryan Jensen - 78
Noah Spence - 78
Chandler Catazaro - 77
Vernon Hargreaves III - 77
Ronald Jones II - 77
Chris Conte - 73
M.J. Stewart Jr - 73
Donovan Smith - 72
Peyton Barber - 71
Carlton Davis - 71
Justin Evans - 71 (WTF?)
Drew Ferris - 38 (Damn)
SIBucsFan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Yeah WTF on Justin Evans?

And who the **** is Drew Ferris and why is he on the team?
PrimeMinister

Postby Nano » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Apparently, he's a LS we signed to a futures deal in February. We should probably cut him immediately though if he's that bad. No use in bringing down the overall for 1 player.
Nano

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Nano wrote:Apparently, he's a LS we signed to a futures deal in February. We should probably cut him immediately though if he's that bad. No use in bringing down the overall for 1 player.

Exactly. The overall team average probably dropped 3+ points. That’s unacceptable.
PrimeMinister

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Glad to see Donovan Smith is rated appropriately.
The Outsider

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:42 pm

My favorite time was when the NCAA football games were still around. I could build up Miami with recruits. Then each season you export the leaving class of seniors and juniors who declared early. After that import it into madden and try to negotiate trades so I could draft some of my favorites onto the team to continue their progress.
PanteraCanes

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:02 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:

My favorite time was when the NCAA football games were still around. I could build up Miami with recruits. Then each season you export the leaving class of seniors and juniors who declared early. After that import it into madden and try to negotiate trades so I could draft some of my favorites onto the team to continue their progress.

RIP in peace NCAA Football by EA Sports.
The Outsider

Postby The Outsider » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:35 pm

I just read an article detailing how Tiburon censored "Colin Kaepernick" out of song lyrics on the Madden soundtrack.

:lol:
The Outsider

Postby Nano » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:44 am

So I played Madden 19 on Origins. I gotta say...it's really good looking. Easily the best visual Madden. I also noticed how much faster Madden is this year compared to past year(Like in franchise mode when making new characters, you don't get "YOUR SEASON STARTS NOW!!!" and loading screen after each new creation...it's pretty much instant now). Gameplay is.......more realistic I guess. I've seen a lot of new animations(especially tackling and pass defense) and the movement is more fluid and less chippy than past Maddens. Controls are really weird at first on PC as movement is controlled by the mouse. Takes some getting used to(and remembering the receiver keys).

Also, played a bit of Longshot. Guess it's now Wade and Cruise in the NFL tour. Cutscenes are kind of long and more about the characters than football(Why am I watching Cruise meet his half-sister from his deadbeat dad?). The playcalling in this mode is ****ing atrocious. I got to score a TD, and can't reach 4th down....so why the **** am I called for 2 QB draws and a RB screen? The draws do nothing as your guy jukes the air 50 times before reaching the line of scrimmage, and the RB likes to run backward on those screens. It's not pre-determined play calls either...it's the computer randomly picking like an ***hole. Also, why are we still making Devin Wade out to be a total dumbass? He's entering year 2 into the NFL and he still can't remember how to call plays in the huddle? And why does your QB coach look like a goat?
Nano

Postby The Outsider » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:54 pm

Nano wrote:So I played Madden 19 on Origins. I gotta say...it's really good looking. Easily the best visual Madden. I also noticed how much faster Madden is this year compared to past year(Like in franchise mode when making new characters, you don't get "YOUR SEASON STARTS NOW!!!" and loading screen after each new creation...it's pretty much instant now). Gameplay is.......more realistic I guess. I've seen a lot of new animations(especially tackling and pass defense) and the movement is more fluid and less chippy than past Maddens. Controls are really weird at first on PC as movement is controlled by the mouse. Takes some getting used to(and remembering the receiver keys).

Also, played a bit of Longshot. Guess it's now Wade and Cruise in the NFL tour. Cutscenes are kind of long and more about the characters than football(Why am I watching Cruise meet his half-sister from his deadbeat dad?). The playcalling in this mode is ****ing atrocious. I got to score a TD, and can't reach 4th down....so why the **** am I called for 2 QB draws and a RB screen? The draws do nothing as your guy jukes the air 50 times before reaching the line of scrimmage, and the RB likes to run backward on those screens. It's not pre-determined play calls either...it's the computer randomly picking like an ***hole. Also, why are we still making Devin Wade out to be a total dumbass? He's entering year 2 into the NFL and he still can't remember how to call plays in the huddle? And why does your QB coach look like a goat?

I'm downloading it now. I'm hoping my laptop can run it, it's got an i7 a GTX 1050 and 8GB memory so I think it will. How did you find it in terms of stress on your system?

Also, how's the optimization? FIFA 18 runs really shitty on PC for what it is.
The Outsider

Postby The Outsider » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:30 am

Runs pretty good on the laptop. And you weren't kidding. They made Wade seem straight up incompetent.

I also see they haven't fixed the WR drops if they so much as get touched.
The Outsider

Postby Nano » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Honestly, I haven't had any stress at all. I'm running it on an i5 with a GTX1060 and the game runs perfectly. Doesn't stress my GPU running on High.

And playing more of Longshot...they pretty much did the same template for this year. Coach wants the other guy(Who also happens to be Schmitty) and other guy higher up(I think the GM?) wants Devin Wade instead. Meanwhile, I guess Loretta is meant to help Colt open up HS flashbacks again.
Nano

Postby The Outsider » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Nano wrote:Honestly, I haven't had any stress at all. I'm running it on an i5 with a GTX1060 and the game runs perfectly. Doesn't stress my GPU running on High.

And playing more of Longshot...they pretty much did the same template for this year. Coach wants the other guy(Who also happens to be Schmitty) and other guy higher up(I think the GM?) wants Devin Wade instead. Meanwhile, I guess Loretta is meant to help Colt open up HS flashbacks again.

Longshot was once again very similar to last years FIFA's the Journey. The protagonist gets abruptly shipped off to another team despite their performance, the deuteragonist's redemption story arc becomes the emphasis of a large part of the game and it even had a surprise half-sister though this time not the protagonist's but the deuteragonist's. Complete with the douchebag, dead beat dad angle.

Not that it was bad, just.... unoriginal.

The gameplay is markedly better than last year though. Not nearly as many animation locks causing premature tackles and while I complained about the drops still being a thing, they aren't quite as prominent as the last couple of years. Overall the series is continuing in the right direction.
The Outsider

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm

haven't really played in a few years (I've purchased previous years and played a handful of gms but nothing 'serious'), is there any way to slow down without doing some stupid animation and basically running backwards?

I'm not looking to run like Bell and hop/skip through holes, but it would be nice to have the option to slow down on sweeps and allow the pulling blockers a chance to pick up someone. and this is all without using sprint... so I'm at a lost for how to set up blocks when it's impossible to allow blocks to develop due to not being able to slow down.
Noles1724

Postby The Outsider » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Noles1724 wrote:haven't really played in a few years (I've purchased previous years and played a handful of gms but nothing 'serious'), is there any way to slow down without doing some stupid animation and basically running backwards?

I'm not looking to run like Bell and hop/skip through holes, but it would be nice to have the option to slow down on sweeps and allow the pulling blockers a chance to pick up someone. and this is all without using sprint... so I'm at a lost for how to set up blocks when it's impossible to allow blocks to develop due to not being able to slow down.

I don't really run enough outside runs to know.
The Outsider

Postby Rocker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Noles1724 wrote:haven't really played in a few years (I've purchased previous years and played a handful of gms but nothing 'serious'), is there any way to slow down without doing some stupid animation and basically running backwards?

I’ve been playing a bit of last years version since Thing 1 bought it. The difference between mindlessly holding down the “turbo” button vs letting your blockers set is pretty telling.
Rocker

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:33 pm

I haven’t played this years or last years to be honest, but I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube vids to see what they’ve been like and I’m pretty sure if you hold the left trigger it slows you down slightly. I think it’s the one you hold when you’re going to a modified spin or juke, but it also kind of slows you down just a bit to give you some extra control. Again this is just what I’ve seen from watching dudes talk strategy etc on YouTube - might be worth a shot though
beardmcdoug

Next

Return to Fantasy Sport/Video Games