Revolver or Semi-Auto?

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Revolver or Semi-Auto?

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:26 am

NYBF wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:America's oldest gun manufacturer, Remington has filed for bankruptcy

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/25/gu ... uptcy.html

Firearms manufacturer Remington Outdoor Company has filed for bankruptcy protection in the face of falling sales and lawsuits stemming from the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday night.

According to the Journal, Remington announced that it would file for Chapter 11 last month but the actual filing was delayed after the Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. that killed 17 people.

Hoping for that sales bump? Because the stories I read last month when they first discussed bankruptcy cited the fact that sales were slumping because Trump won and people no longer had to worry about Obama taking their guns.

This article says the same thing in it...in addition to the lawsuit, one of their problem was with making too much product ahead of time thinking Clinton would win and the market would respond to it. Now they are stuck with loads of inventory they can't turn over...they probably built up a nice little accounts payable for the stockpile or even took out loans. Either way, debt is kicking their butt.

From the article:

The Journal reported that the gun industry is facing low demand and high stock after Donald Trump's unexpected election to the presidency in 2016. According to the paper, firearms manufacturers boosted output in the run-up to the election, expecting that a Hillary Clinton victory would lead to a boost in sales ahead of tighter gun laws.

I'm sure the issue is much larger than that though. Even if they built up a supply and have seen lower then expected demand, inventory holding costs (including financing) can't bankrupt a financially sound company so quickly.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:48 am

On Reddit the comments are saying it's because Remington's products have been **** for the last 10 years.

I wouldn't know. I don't shoot much anymore, I'd rather go fishing.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:51 am

I’ve never owned anything by them so I can’t attest either way.

As I said earlier, I suspect they were having issues for a long time, this is just the straw that broke the back
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 am

I would imagine sales should rise again with the growing movement against guns.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:44 am

PrimeMinister wrote:I would imagine sales should rise again with the growing movement against guns.

Ruger and the company that owns Smith & Wesson are both seeing their stocks fall again today (.5 and 3% respectively).

Even with the marches though I doubt we will see to big a bump in sales...there is no real movement for the time being for significant change...apart from banning bump stocks and maybe increasing the age to 21 (at the federal level). Neither of which IMO will have any real effect on gun sales. Now if we get to the next election and we see a big switch to blue in Congress, then maybe I suspect there will be more urgency when it comes to the ridiculously labeled assault weapons
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:33 pm

I've got a ton of Remington bolt actions and two remington semi-auto shotguns. They're fine firearms, just a little basic.
The Outsider

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 pm

The Outsider wrote:I've got a ton of Remington bolt actions and two remington semi-auto shotguns. They're fine firearms, just a little basic.

Same. They've always made decent cheap weapons. They were always reliable, word is not so much recently.
uscbucsfan

Postby The Outsider » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:39 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:I've got a ton of Remington bolt actions and two remington semi-auto shotguns. They're fine firearms, just a little basic.

Same. They've always made decent cheap weapons. They were always reliable, word is not so much recently.

Hmm I haven't had any problems with my new .270 from last year, but maybe I'm lucky.
The Outsider

Postby Pirate Life » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Can't speak for their firearms, but my Marlin 336 still likes using Remington ammunition when I get the itch to go shooting/hunting. Love that rifle, now I have to find time to go target shooting.
Pirate Life

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Roni Civilian Pistol Carbine conversion kit

mdb1958

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Tacti-cool
Rocker

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:53 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Roni Civilian Pistol Carbine conversion kit

Pretty cool. I wonder if it’s fun to shoot.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:51 am

Can someone lend me a few million?

Cabot made a few pistols out of a 4.5 billion year old meteorite that crashed on earth.

Sales price = $4.5M
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 am

Win for the 2A and 1A folks...loss for the gun control folks

The Justice Department has reached a settlement with the Second Amendment Foundation and Defense Distributed, a collective that organizes, promotes, and distributes technologies to help home gun-makers. Under the agreement, which resolved a suit filed by the two groups in 2015, Americans may "access, discuss, use, reproduce or otherwise benefit from the technical data" that the government had previously ordered Defense Distributed to cease distributing.

Basically the group filed a lawsuit because the federal gov't wouldn't allow them to share data (including technical engineering diagrams, CNC computer codes and 3D printing codes). They have won their lawsuit.
Zarniwoop

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion