Revolver or Semi-Auto?

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Revolver or Semi-Auto?

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:26 am

NYBF wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:America's oldest gun manufacturer, Remington has filed for bankruptcy

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/25/gu ... uptcy.html

Firearms manufacturer Remington Outdoor Company has filed for bankruptcy protection in the face of falling sales and lawsuits stemming from the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday night.

According to the Journal, Remington announced that it would file for Chapter 11 last month but the actual filing was delayed after the Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. that killed 17 people.

Hoping for that sales bump? Because the stories I read last month when they first discussed bankruptcy cited the fact that sales were slumping because Trump won and people no longer had to worry about Obama taking their guns.

This article says the same thing in it...in addition to the lawsuit, one of their problem was with making too much product ahead of time thinking Clinton would win and the market would respond to it. Now they are stuck with loads of inventory they can't turn over...they probably built up a nice little accounts payable for the stockpile or even took out loans. Either way, debt is kicking their butt.

From the article:

The Journal reported that the gun industry is facing low demand and high stock after Donald Trump's unexpected election to the presidency in 2016. According to the paper, firearms manufacturers boosted output in the run-up to the election, expecting that a Hillary Clinton victory would lead to a boost in sales ahead of tighter gun laws.

I'm sure the issue is much larger than that though. Even if they built up a supply and have seen lower then expected demand, inventory holding costs (including financing) can't bankrupt a financially sound company so quickly.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:48 am

On Reddit the comments are saying it's because Remington's products have been **** for the last 10 years.

I wouldn't know. I don't shoot much anymore, I'd rather go fishing.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:51 am

I’ve never owned anything by them so I can’t attest either way.

As I said earlier, I suspect they were having issues for a long time, this is just the straw that broke the back
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 am

I would imagine sales should rise again with the growing movement against guns.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:44 am

PrimeMinister wrote:I would imagine sales should rise again with the growing movement against guns.

Ruger and the company that owns Smith & Wesson are both seeing their stocks fall again today (.5 and 3% respectively).

Even with the marches though I doubt we will see to big a bump in sales...there is no real movement for the time being for significant change...apart from banning bump stocks and maybe increasing the age to 21 (at the federal level). Neither of which IMO will have any real effect on gun sales. Now if we get to the next election and we see a big switch to blue in Congress, then maybe I suspect there will be more urgency when it comes to the ridiculously labeled assault weapons
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:33 pm

I've got a ton of Remington bolt actions and two remington semi-auto shotguns. They're fine firearms, just a little basic.
The Outsider

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 pm

The Outsider wrote:I've got a ton of Remington bolt actions and two remington semi-auto shotguns. They're fine firearms, just a little basic.

Same. They've always made decent cheap weapons. They were always reliable, word is not so much recently.
uscbucsfan

Postby The Outsider » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:39 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:I've got a ton of Remington bolt actions and two remington semi-auto shotguns. They're fine firearms, just a little basic.

Same. They've always made decent cheap weapons. They were always reliable, word is not so much recently.

Hmm I haven't had any problems with my new .270 from last year, but maybe I'm lucky.
The Outsider

Postby Pirate Life » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Can't speak for their firearms, but my Marlin 336 still likes using Remington ammunition when I get the itch to go shooting/hunting. Love that rifle, now I have to find time to go target shooting.
Pirate Life

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Roni Civilian Pistol Carbine conversion kit

mdb1958

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Tacti-cool
Rocker

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:53 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Roni Civilian Pistol Carbine conversion kit

Pretty cool. I wonder if it’s fun to shoot.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:51 am

Can someone lend me a few million?

Cabot made a few pistols out of a 4.5 billion year old meteorite that crashed on earth.

Sales price = $4.5M
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 am

Win for the 2A and 1A folks...loss for the gun control folks

The Justice Department has reached a settlement with the Second Amendment Foundation and Defense Distributed, a collective that organizes, promotes, and distributes technologies to help home gun-makers. Under the agreement, which resolved a suit filed by the two groups in 2015, Americans may "access, discuss, use, reproduce or otherwise benefit from the technical data" that the government had previously ordered Defense Distributed to cease distributing.

Basically the group filed a lawsuit because the federal gov't wouldn't allow them to share data (including technical engineering diagrams, CNC computer codes and 3D printing codes). They have won their lawsuit.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:29 am

Well the most overturned court in the nation finally got one right

The 9th circuit upheld a lower court’s blocking of the California law that was to confiscate all magazines that held more than 10 rounds

https://www.courthousenews.com/ninth-ci ... azine-ban/

Another win for individual liberty against the ever increasing reach of beareaucrats
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Good ruling by the 9th circuit.
PrimeMinister

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Absolutely.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:45 pm

I need a suggestion. So I need to get a new bedside safe for two pistols. I’ve got an old biometric safe that is becoming less reliable over time and I’m considering replacing it. It has a key override but with kids around the house I don’t want to leave the key in it but I also don’t want to hide in and fumble about retrieving it if an emergency pops up

What is everyone else using?
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I need a suggestion. So I need to get a new bedside safe for two pistols. I’ve got an old biometric safe that is becoming less reliable over time and I’m considering replacing it. It has a key override but with kids around the house I don’t want to leave the key in it but I also don’t want to hide in and fumble about retrieving it if an emergency pops up

I just have a simple keypad on mine.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:26 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I need a suggestion. So I need to get a new bedside safe for two pistols. I’ve got an old biometric safe that is becoming less reliable over time and I’m considering replacing it. It has a key override but with kids around the house I don’t want to leave the key in it but I also don’t want to hide in and fumble about retrieving it if an emergency pops up

I just have a simple keypad on mine.

That's probably the best and simplest way to go. I will have to run up to Cabella's this week.
Zarniwoop

Postby HamBone » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Unlocked and ready to rock...
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:05 am

HamBone wrote:

Unlocked and ready to rock...
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:50 pm

I don’t know if anyone is keeping up but the guy who posts tech blueprints and codes for the 3D printing of guns essentially won his lawsuit against the federal gov’t when they told him to take the files down. The federal gift basically settled the lawsuit instead of losing in court.

Now 8 states (the exact ones you’d think) have filed a lawsuit against the federal govt

https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/30/xx-s ... nt-defense
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:03 am

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
I am looking into 3-D Plastic Guns being sold to the public. Already spoke to NRA, doesn’t seem to make much sense!

8:03 AM - Jul 31, 2018

First question: Why would he talk to the NRA instead of the DOJ?

Second question: If the NRA is really about second amendment rights, why would they be against this?
bucfanclw

Postby HamBone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 am

bucfanclw wrote:
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
I am looking into 3-D Plastic Guns being sold to the public. Already spoke to NRA, doesn’t seem to make much sense!

8:03 AM - Jul 31, 2018

First question: Why would he talk to the NRA instead of the DOJ?

Second question: If the NRA is really about second amendment rights, why would they be against this?

First: How do you know he hasn't?

Second: Since I have been a member of the NRA...they have always taken a stand for responsible gun ownership. I'm surprised you don't know this.

Third: Plastic guns...lol
HamBone

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:34 am

HamBone wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:First question: Why would he talk to the NRA instead of the DOJ?

First: How do you know he hasn't?

Second: Since I have been a member of the NRA...they have always taken a stand for responsible gun ownership. I'm surprised you don't know this.

Third: Plastic guns...lol

There is 3D printing with metal but it's absurdly expensive.
The Outsider

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:36 am

So when the NRA has fought multiple times against mandatory training or certification courses, they were taking a stand for responsible gun ownership? Every single stance they've taken has been to remove barriers to gun ownership until now. What is the difference here?
bucfanclw

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:46 am

Glock 9mm and Ruger 22 for backup
Stuart

Postby HamBone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:47 am

bucfanclw wrote:So when the NRA has fought multiple times against mandatory training or certification courses, they were taking a stand for responsible gun ownership? Every single stance they've taken has been to remove barriers to gun ownership until now. What is the difference here?

Have you looked into why the NRA is against making those MANDATORY? If not...you should. Go to their website and read what they have to say for themselves...

I don't think we will agree on what the term "responsible" gun ownership...just as we will not agree on what "common sense" gun control would mean.
HamBone

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:54 am

HamBone wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:So when the NRA has fought multiple times against mandatory training or certification courses, they were taking a stand for responsible gun ownership? Every single stance they've taken has been to remove barriers to gun ownership until now. What is the difference here?

Have you looked into why the NRA is against making those MANDATORY? If not...you should. Go to their website and read what they have to say for themselves...

I don't think we will agree on what the term "responsible" gun ownership...just as we will not agree on what "common sense" gun control would mean.

They've also opposed gun registries. Something responsible, law-abiding gun owners shouldn't have a problem with. So why now, are they talking the POTUS into taking action against 3D printed guns? It would seem counter-intuitive to their actions thus far... unless they have some other motives.
bucfanclw

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion