Open Carry? yay or nay?

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Open Carry? yay or nay?

Postby Moozician » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:30 pm

Most of the United States has laws permitting the Open Carry of Firearms. Florida is one (of six, I believe) that does not. Given that Florida is a "shall issue" state, should we institute an open carry law?
Moozician

Re: Open Carry? yay or nay?

Postby terrytate » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:01 am

I see nothing wrong with it. If someone is trustworthy enough to concealed carry or even just own a gun, why would they suddenly because irresponsible with an open carry. The only issue would be with the soft liberal types who would faint at the sight of a firearm and I have no use for those people.
terrytate

Postby Boyd Crowder » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:34 am

terrytate wrote:I see nothing wrong with it. If someone is trustworthy enough to concealed carry or even just own a gun, why would they suddenly because irresponsible with an open carry. The only issue would be with the soft liberal types who would faint at the sight of a firearm and I have no use for those people.

I'm for anything that drives liberals back to the smog-infested (and violent) hell holes they created.
Boyd Crowder

Postby Moozician » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:37 am

terrytate wrote:I see nothing wrong with it. If someone is trustworthy enough to concealed carry or even just own a gun, why would they suddenly because irresponsible with an open carry. The only issue would be with the soft liberal types who would faint at the sight of a firearm and I have no use for those people.

I've had a FL CWP since 1998. I am against open carry for a couple of reasons:

There ARE soft liberal types out there that would bristle at the sight of someone walking into their place of business armed to the teeth. Hell, there are non-liberals out there that feel that way. One problem with open carry is not knowing whether the person carrying the weapon has a basic understanding of firearm safety, or is well-versed in that particular weapon. As a result, most people that you would consider "reasonable" would be nervous around a person handling a firearm.

Persons with a CWP have been checked, trained, and are (generally) well-versed in the use of their particular weapon. In Florida, being a "shall issue" state, it is not difficult to get a CWP.

Guns are easy to get... with no waiting period, no background checks and no accountability, merely by using "private sales". There are Facebook pages devoted to the sale/trade of firearms in Florida. ANYONE can obtain a firearm, if they have cash.

Open carry of firearms gives liberals something to bitch about... and I am tired of having my 2nd amendment rights threatened.
Moozician

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:04 am

If you have a cwp, you have demonstrated some reasonable knowledge in gun safety. I have no issues with a person possessing such a permit to openly carry a holstered sidearm.

If you walk into Burger King with an AR-15 strapped to your back, you are an ***hole. And any business should retain the right to refuse to serve you until that weapon is back in your car.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby acaton » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:38 am

My only issue with open carry is a personal/tactical one really. If there is a person bent on mayhem in your area and they see your weapon, you become their first target. Another issue, for me is there are some individuals out there that would become instant ass-holes, if they can flash around their weapons causing more problems.

Short, fat and slow often does the trick...45ACP
acaton

Postby Jimmy McGill » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:40 am

If you open carry, watch out for this guy.

http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune ... -carriers/
Jimmy McGill

Postby Moozician » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:36 am

Jimmy McGill wrote:If you open carry, watch out for this guy.

Yeah, this is a response to what is happening in Florida right now. Recently, the Florida Legislature voted to allow the inclusion of a vote in the next election that would allow Open Carry To CWP holders only.

I think this makes a lot more sense than unrestricted Open Carry, due to the background checks and training requirements on CWP holders. If this law passes, and CWP holders are allowed Open Carry, ordinary citizens will still not be allowed open carry. This is why the guy is going off. If he sees a person with a weapon, are they "legal?"
Moozician

Postby Buc2 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:28 am

Yay

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Moozician wrote:
Jimmy McGill wrote:If you open carry, watch out for this guy.

Yeah, this is a response to what is happening in Florida right now. Recently, the Florida Legislature voted to allow the inclusion of a vote in the next election that would allow Open Carry To CWP holders only.

I think this makes a lot more sense than unrestricted Open Carry, due to the background checks and training requirements on CWP holders. If this law passes, and CWP holders are allowed Open Carry, ordinary citizens will still not be allowed open carry. This is why the guy is going off. If he sees a person with a weapon, are they "legal?"

I agree that open carry can work if it's handled by permit. Also, it's "yea" not "yay".
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:50 pm

In Texas open carry starts Jan 1. I'm interested to see how many concealed folks will actually carry outside their clothes now. Seems like a dumb thing to do to me
Zarniwoop

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:17 pm

What's the over/under in Texas until someone is wrongfully shot?

21.5 days?

Anyone want some action?
Corsair

Postby The Outsider » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:In Texas open carry starts Jan 1. I'm interested to see how many concealed folks will actually carry outside their clothes now. Seems like a dumb thing to do to me

I have a cwp in FL and I wouldn't open carry. Why would I want to broadcast that I'm carrying a weapon?
The Outsider

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Haven't you heard?

More guns deter gun violence.
Corsair

Postby Moozician » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:33 pm

Corsair wrote:What's the over/under in Texas until someone is wrongfully shot?

21.5 days?

Anyone want some action?

You gotta define "wrongfully shot". In Texas, you are allowed to defend your property, no matter where it is. I don't necessarily agree with the law, there. You come out of the grocery store one night, and some guy is leaning into your car to glom the Bic lighter you left on your seat, so you plug him... Technically, that's legal in Texas.

http://nation.time.com/2013/06/13/when-you-can-kill-in-texas/

Excerpt:
Texas penal code contains an unusual provision that grants citizens the right to use deadly force to prevent someone “who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property.”
Moozician

Postby Moozician » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:35 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:In Texas open carry starts Jan 1. I'm interested to see how many concealed folks will actually carry outside their clothes now. Seems like a dumb thing to do to me

I have a cwp in FL and I wouldn't open carry. Why would I want to broadcast that I'm carrying a weapon?

Depends on where I'm going. And I like the law because it relaxes the interpretation of Brandishing.
Moozician

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Moozician wrote:You gotta define "wrongfully shot".

How about someone who was shot that was not committing or had not just committed a crime? This includes accidental firings, misfires, overzealous authority and non-authority figures, drunk rednecks, and racists.

I think I covered all the bases there.
Last edited by Corsair on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

Postby Moozician » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Corsair wrote:How about someone who was shot that was not committing or had just committed a crime? This includes accidental firings, misfires, overzealous authority and non-authority figures, drunk rednecks, and racists.

I think I covered all the bases there.

I'll take the under, then.
Moozician

Postby Moozician » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:51 pm

The Outsider wrote:Also, it's "yea" not "yay".

Thanks, Outtie.

I never learned it since my bid for congress failed.
Moozician

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Despite a solid bench and 40 time.
Corsair

Postby Wenchy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:10 pm

I've become so much less tolerant of idiots of all kinds in my old age, I'm not sure I could be trusted with a gun, concealed or not.
Wenchy

Postby Go_Bucs! » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:02 am

Mooz,

I just found this thread and liked it by the way.
YAY is my answer to your question and here is why.

The 2nd Amendment says that you can, the right to "bear arms" shall not be infringed. Bear means to carry just like a child bearing woman. To carry or to bear.

Just like you I have been a concealed carry permit holder for a long time, but even that shows a form of restriction to the 2nd amendment, paying for your right is just wrong.
Up here in North Carolina, a normal pistol permit is $5 and you have to get permission from your chief law enforcement officer to get a paper permit to purchase, each is only good for one pistol. Again this is a restriction on our 2nd amendment.

So my answer is yay, open carry should be legal, personally I do not believe in open carry for a number of reasons, but I do believe in your choice or another law abiding citizens right to believe in open carry.

Good thread Mooz
Go_Bucs!

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:04 am

Nay , I have had an concealed weapon permit for many years and see no need to broadcast it. It serves no purpose and could cause problems with some drunk moron or some mentally unstable person... And oh btw I am a liberal , Hillary fan and have been hunting in Florida since I was about 9 yrs old . hIllary and Bill used to hunt and shoot guns, she is not going to take your guns away , relax . I have many guns for hunting and the protection of my family but not one of them is an assault rifle... It's just not needed.
Jason Bourne

Postby Wenchy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:17 am

Jason, are you suggesting that Hillary would lie about something to the voters just to get elected? Surely you jest.
Wenchy

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:01 am

Wenchy wrote:Jason, are you suggesting that Hillary would lie about something to the voters just to get elected? Surely you jest.

That's just right wing rhetoric and propaganda ... Here is Hillary on point ..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPTVVbgWVCg
Jason Bourne

Postby mightyleemoon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:27 am

Go right ahead. While you're at it, wear a t-shirt with a target in the middle of your back.
mightyleemoon

Postby Wenchy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Wenchy wrote:Jason, are you suggesting that Hillary would lie about something to the voters just to get elected? Surely you jest.

That's just right wing rhetoric and propaganda ... Here is Hillary on point ..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPTVVbgWVCg

No thanks. I would rather stab myself in the eardrums than listen to her screeching.
Wenchy

Postby Corsair » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Classic republican move.
Corsair

Postby Wenchy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:46 pm

The stabbing or the screeching?
Wenchy

Postby Go_Bucs! » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Nay , I have had an concealed weapon permit for many years and see no need to broadcast it. It serves no purpose and could cause problems with some drunk moron or some mentally unstable person... And oh btw I am a liberal , Hillary fan and have been hunting in Florida since I was about 9 yrs old . hIllary and Bill used to hunt and shoot guns, she is not going to take your guns away , relax . I have many guns for hunting and the protection of my family but not one of them is an assault rifle... It's just not needed.

You know I have three ar-15s and none of them resemble the m4-a3 that I had while I was in the Military in which was clearly an assault rifle. Semi-auto civilian versions are not assault rifles the price difference is about $750 vz $15,000.

Also, your smoking crack, the Clintons do indeed want to strip you of your guns.

Also, open carry is a part of the 2nd amendment and should not be restricted ever.
Go_Bucs!

Next

Return to Politics and Religion