Climate chg/global warming/climate disruption/carbon...

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Climate chg/global warming/climate disruption/carbon...

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Here, China, and India would set the precedence as we are easily the 3 worst offenders.

Easier said than done my friend. From an idealist perspective it's an easy thing to say. Before we can justify cutting away from fossil fuels there needs to be a technology infrastructure to seamlessly move towards. We don't have the technology nor the infrastructure at this point. But progress is being made and we've done alot is just the past 20 years, so who knows what the next 20-30 years will have in store.

Plus you're telling regimes like Iran to not use the trillion dollars of oil they are sitting on.

The problem is population and our species being reliant on energy (which currently comes via fossil fuels). We cant prevent climate change, we can only effect the rate. So whether it's 1000 years from now or a million, a dramatic climate shift will occur just as they've occurred throughout the history of the planet. It will be a matter of surviving and preserving as much as we can as a species.

As for the here and now for relative split second we are on this earth I think the best we can do is innovate a new technology when it comes to energy and/or better harness solar. It's not in our nature as humans to live on less so using less energy isn't a viable solution imo.

It's worse than that.

The planet does not have the energy capacity from fossil fuels to meet the consumption requirements if the global population had first world consumption rates. Not enough oil to keep everyone on the planet in gasoline, coal, and natural gas. Projections vary as to how long we have and I won't speculate.

Solar gets cheaper every year, and it's going to have to as the emerging world is going to demand energy on an ever growing scale.

Exactly - and the market is going to dictate that switch. As demand rises, and the supply falls, the cost of solar will intersect and the switch will be made accordingly.

That intersection is absolutely inevitable in my mind, and I think the "developing nation" variable is the 1 million ton ocean liner compared to the "we US citizens need to pressure our senators to push more eco-friendly policy incentives" cigar boat variable. It just is what it is... and I hate it, believe me. I wanted to make a career out of trying to push the scale in the right direction at some point...
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:32 pm

So kill the boomers?
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:06 pm

DreadNaught wrote:So kill the boomers?

That won't solve your energy problems. Boomers will be using much less biofuel than any other demographic as they retire and no longer need to commute to a job. Plus, many are already dying off. Just look at Grim's page for proof of that. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:So kill the boomers?

That won't solve your energy problems. Boomers will be using much less biofuel than any other demographic as they retire and no longer need to commute to a job. Plus, many are already dying off. Just look at Grim's page for proof of that. :D

Wait a sec DN - you got me thinkin - you do know what coal/oil is right?

Heated.

Compressed.

Biomass.

Fire up those ovens and trash compactors boys we bout to solve the energy crisis!!!

(lol **** this may be going too far - love you buc2)
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Naw. It's all good. I laugh and smh at myself all the ****ing time. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion