Climate chg/global warming/climate disruption/carbon...

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Climate chg/global warming/climate disruption/carbon...

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Here, China, and India would set the precedence as we are easily the 3 worst offenders.

Easier said than done my friend. From an idealist perspective it's an easy thing to say. Before we can justify cutting away from fossil fuels there needs to be a technology infrastructure to seamlessly move towards. We don't have the technology nor the infrastructure at this point. But progress is being made and we've done alot is just the past 20 years, so who knows what the next 20-30 years will have in store.

Plus you're telling regimes like Iran to not use the trillion dollars of oil they are sitting on.

The problem is population and our species being reliant on energy (which currently comes via fossil fuels). We cant prevent climate change, we can only effect the rate. So whether it's 1000 years from now or a million, a dramatic climate shift will occur just as they've occurred throughout the history of the planet. It will be a matter of surviving and preserving as much as we can as a species.

As for the here and now for relative split second we are on this earth I think the best we can do is innovate a new technology when it comes to energy and/or better harness solar. It's not in our nature as humans to live on less so using less energy isn't a viable solution imo.

It's worse than that.

The planet does not have the energy capacity from fossil fuels to meet the consumption requirements if the global population had first world consumption rates. Not enough oil to keep everyone on the planet in gasoline, coal, and natural gas. Projections vary as to how long we have and I won't speculate.

Solar gets cheaper every year, and it's going to have to as the emerging world is going to demand energy on an ever growing scale.

Exactly - and the market is going to dictate that switch. As demand rises, and the supply falls, the cost of solar will intersect and the switch will be made accordingly.

That intersection is absolutely inevitable in my mind, and I think the "developing nation" variable is the 1 million ton ocean liner compared to the "we US citizens need to pressure our senators to push more eco-friendly policy incentives" cigar boat variable. It just is what it is... and I hate it, believe me. I wanted to make a career out of trying to push the scale in the right direction at some point...
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:32 pm

So kill the boomers?
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:06 pm

DreadNaught wrote:So kill the boomers?

That won't solve your energy problems. Boomers will be using much less biofuel than any other demographic as they retire and no longer need to commute to a job. Plus, many are already dying off. Just look at Grim's page for proof of that. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:So kill the boomers?

That won't solve your energy problems. Boomers will be using much less biofuel than any other demographic as they retire and no longer need to commute to a job. Plus, many are already dying off. Just look at Grim's page for proof of that. :D

Wait a sec DN - you got me thinkin - you do know what coal/oil is right?

Heated.

Compressed.

Biomass.

Fire up those ovens and trash compactors boys we bout to solve the energy crisis!!!

(lol **** this may be going too far - love you buc2)
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Naw. It's all good. I laugh and smh at myself all the ****ing time. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:43 am

March 12, 2018 2:50 pm | Published by matheus (whoever the heck he is)
Carbon Dioxide is a Cooling Gas According to NASA

“Climate change can seem like a distant problem, a speck on the horizon. It’s not. It’s a present and deadly reality.” These words were recently printed by the Huffington Post. “Common sense dictates that the economy undergo a massive restructuring away from fossil fuels to save lives. And a growing body of research shows that the only way to avoid catastrophic levels of climate change is to cease production of vast amounts of “unburnable” carbon.

The only problem with this is that it is based on the assumption that carbon is a warming gas that is heating the planet. Every Democrat would bet their political lives on this. Unfortunately for them, and all the rest of us, is we are living on a cooling world not a warming one. They get it wrong on all points of the compass when it comes to climate change even with CO2 being a warming gas when the truth is that it helps cool the stratosphere by helping reradiate solar energy back into space.

NASA says that CO2 is a coolant not a warming gas. One part of NASA is now in conflict with its climatologists after new NASA measurements prove that carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in Earth’s atmosphere. NASA’s Langley Research Center has collated data proving that “greenhouse gases” actually block up to 95 percent of harmful solar rays from reaching our planet, thus reducing the heating impact of the sun. Carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO) are two substances playing a key role in the energy balance of air above our planet’s surface tending to cool not heat.

Regardless of what one believes or all the myriad factors, “Solar activity has overpowered any effect that CO2 has had,” reports Dr. R. Timothy Patterson. World temperatures have been generally declining for about 10 years while CO2 is rising rapidly,” writes famous weatherman Piers Corybyn, who is an astrophysicist.

“Carbon dioxide does not drive climate,” says Piers flatly. “The idea CO2 controls climate, and that man’s CO2 particularly, controls climate, is actually delusional nonsense.” “There is no evidence for this in real data. Temperature changes in the oceans, in the long run, drive carbon dioxide levels, so they tend to move together.”

Continues> https://coldclimatechange.com/carbon-di ... g-to-nasa/

Even if this is the case, then lessening the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere would help keep the planet from cooling as much, no? Either way, it seems to me, CO2 is driving climate change...at least a little. It's just that it may be making the planet cooler instead of warmer if any of this article is to be believed.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:45 am

2 strokes for everyone!

(OOCA)
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:01 am

:lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby deltbucs » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Buc2 wrote:
March 12, 2018 2:50 pm | Published by matheus (whoever the heck he is)
Carbon Dioxide is a Cooling Gas According to NASA

“Climate change can seem like a distant problem, a speck on the horizon. It’s not. It’s a present and deadly reality.” These words were recently printed by the Huffington Post. “Common sense dictates that the economy undergo a massive restructuring away from fossil fuels to save lives. And a growing body of research shows that the only way to avoid catastrophic levels of climate change is to cease production of vast amounts of “unburnable” carbon.

The only problem with this is that it is based on the assumption that carbon is a warming gas that is heating the planet. Every Democrat would bet their political lives on this. Unfortunately for them, and all the rest of us, is we are living on a cooling world not a warming one. They get it wrong on all points of the compass when it comes to climate change even with CO2 being a warming gas when the truth is that it helps cool the stratosphere by helping reradiate solar energy back into space.

NASA says that CO2 is a coolant not a warming gas. One part of NASA is now in conflict with its climatologists after new NASA measurements prove that carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in Earth’s atmosphere. NASA’s Langley Research Center has collated data proving that “greenhouse gases” actually block up to 95 percent of harmful solar rays from reaching our planet, thus reducing the heating impact of the sun. Carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO) are two substances playing a key role in the energy balance of air above our planet’s surface tending to cool not heat.

Regardless of what one believes or all the myriad factors, “Solar activity has overpowered any effect that CO2 has had,” reports Dr. R. Timothy Patterson. World temperatures have been generally declining for about 10 years while CO2 is rising rapidly,” writes famous weatherman Piers Corybyn, who is an astrophysicist.

“Carbon dioxide does not drive climate,” says Piers flatly. “The idea CO2 controls climate, and that man’s CO2 particularly, controls climate, is actually delusional nonsense.” “There is no evidence for this in real data. Temperature changes in the oceans, in the long run, drive carbon dioxide levels, so they tend to move together.”

Continues> https://coldclimatechange.com/carbon-di ... g-to-nasa/

Even if this is the case, then lessening the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere would help keep the planet from cooling as much, no? Either way, it seems to me, CO2 is driving climate change...at least a little. It's just that it may be making the planet cooler instead of warmer if any of this article is to be believed.

Glad you agree with NASA on climate change
https://climate.nasa.gov/
deltbucs

Postby Buc2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Gotta love that. Part of NASA says co2's gonna burn us, another part says it's gonna freeze us.
They can't be wrong that way. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:09 pm

I’m not putting much stock in that website. Looks like a pretty questionable one.
Ken Carson

Postby The Outsider » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:26 pm

So did anyone who is laughing about CO2 being a cooling gas even read the NASA article? Because that's not what they said at all. What they did say is that in the case of the atmosphere receiving excess heat energy from solar events that CO2, among other gasses, can reflect a lot of that energy back in to space. That is not equivalent to "CO2 is a cooling gas."
The Outsider

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:29 am

The Outsider wrote:So did anyone who is laughing about CO2 being a cooling gas even read the NASA article? Because that's not what they said at all. What they did say is that in the case of the atmosphere receiving excess heat energy from solar events that CO2, among other gasses, can reflect a lot of that energy back in to space. That is not equivalent to "CO2 is a cooling gas."

that's a very good way to explain it

Buc2, also, when you ever read "but plants love CO2, it's what they use to grow! If we increase CO2 levels, the plants will just it eat up!", remember this graph:

See the jagged lines? That's the yearly growth/"death" cycle of trees and their leaves - down is spring/summer (as the trees grow and draw in CO2), up is fall/winter (as the leaves fall off and decompose - which is "respiration" by microbes - the same process as us, taking in O2 and eating, and releasing CO2 back). This graph is literally the entire world "breathing" on a yearly timescale. The reason you can see it like that, despite the fact that when it's summer in the northern hemisphere, it's winter in the southern hemisphere, is that there is an overwhelming imbalance in greenery in the northern hemisphere, compared to the southern.

So that tiny little jagged line up and down gives you an idea of the magnitude of what all the plants on this planet are able to absorb.

People are lying to you when they say plants can absorb it all - they understand the basic principle of photosynthesis, but they don't understand the application of the process within the scope of the global system -- or they're just being purposefully misleading to advance an agenda.
beardmcdoug

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:48 am

On the planetary level, most photosynthesis occurs in the oceans, because the oceans occupy the vast majority (70%) of the earth's surface.
In terms of organisms, photosynthesis occurs in autotrophes that contain the green pigment chlorophyll. This would include the entire plant kingdom, "half" of the Protista (the algae), & "half" the Moneran Kingdom (the blue-green algae).
On the multicellular level, photosynthesis occurs in the leaves of plants. We will take an up-close & personal look at these in a bit ...
On the cellular level, the reactions for photosynthesis occur in organelles called chloroplasts (in eukaryotic cells). Blue-green algae (which are prokaryotic) carry-out the photosythesis reactions in the cytoplasm.

https://hobart.k12.in.us/jkousen/Biology/phobig.html

So I heard about this a long time ago and wanted to make sure it was still true. That algae contributes the most to photosynthesis in the world. I always think of this when people bring up about plants processing co2 into oxygen.
PanteraCanes

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:24 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
On the planetary level, most photosynthesis occurs in the oceans, because the oceans occupy the vast majority (70%) of the earth's surface.
In terms of organisms, photosynthesis occurs in autotrophes that contain the green pigment chlorophyll. This would include the entire plant kingdom, "half" of the Protista (the algae), & "half" the Moneran Kingdom (the blue-green algae).
On the multicellular level, photosynthesis occurs in the leaves of plants. We will take an up-close & personal look at these in a bit ...
On the cellular level, the reactions for photosynthesis occur in organelles called chloroplasts (in eukaryotic cells). Blue-green algae (which are prokaryotic) carry-out the photosythesis reactions in the cytoplasm.

https://hobart.k12.in.us/jkousen/Biology/phobig.html

So I heard about this a long time ago and wanted to make sure it was still true. That algae contributes the most to photosynthesis in the world. I always think of this when people bring up about plants processing co2 into oxygen.

A couple things:

you're absolutely right to consider the oceans - I personally wouldn't phrase it as "most" photosynthesis occurs in the oceans - I think that elicits the wrong idea - that there is an overwhelming imbalance between what the ocean plants do VS the land plants - there's even a large disagreement still to this day about what the ratio is, and estimates range from ocean plants accounting for 40% - 75% of the total yearly photosynthesis occurring on the planet.

I use the Keeling curve (that jagged graph) as an example, because it shows the magnitude of all the land plants "breathing" on their yearly timescale - absorbing in only ~5 ppm per year, then dying and releasing another 5ppm back into the atmosphere - in relation to the fact that we're (humans, due to burning fossil fuels) are adding roughly 1.5 ppm/year - meaning in each 3 year interval, we have added more CO2 to the atmosphere than all the land plants in the world absorb each year.

The ocean plants, because they're not as beholden to the seasonal variations like the land plants are, are more the "background noise" relative to the land plants' "signal"

Also, it should be mentioned that ocean plants also do not simply grow more as the CO2 concentrations increase - since the limiting reagent for ocean plant growth is not CO2 availability, but instead, light and nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, iron, etc).
http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Bi-Ca/Carbon-Dioxide-in-the-Ocean-and-Atmosphere.html

And even if we had the idea that we were going to try to draw down atmospheric CO2 levels using oceanic primary producers, by "fertilizing" the ocean, having more phytoplankton / algal blooms is not necessarily a good thing. Look at the Mississippi delta for instance - the Mississippi river dumps a **** load of fertilizer (nitrogen and phosphorus) into the Gulf of Mexico, and because of this, there are regular toxic algal blooms, which creates an oxygen dead zone, which, as of last year, was the largest ever at 8,700 sq. miles - which is the same size as New Jersey. I know the idea that there would be an oxygen deadzone sounds counter intuitive, because thanks to the increase in nutrients, shouldn't more ocean plants grow? Well once those algal blooms bloom, there is the second-order of slightly larger microbes that EAT that plankton, that use respiration (instead of photosynthesis) to grown, so they end up BREATHING all the dissolved O2 in the ocean because they're proliferating so fast, and then the entire local ecosystem crashes. That, and when you have microbes proliferate this fast and at this scale, you have a tendency to spread disease and viruses faster, which nobody likes too.

(2017 deadzone size)

So, in summary, you're right that ocean plants are responsible for about half of the global photosynthesis each year, but they're already taking up as much CO2 as they possibly can already (an increase in CO2 does not cause more growth, only more nutrients and sunlight would). And even if we were to try to assist ocean plant growth, and thus CO2 uptake, the results are not good for us and the ecosystem (and our fisheries).

And the jagged Keeling curve graph is useful because it gives you an idea of what the other half (the land plants) of the CO2 consumers can do each year.
beardmcdoug

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Thank you for all that. It was kind of what I wanted.

I didn't mean for it to be like we should care about plants or co2 or whatever we are doing to the environment. I am very much in favor of protecting the environment. Though I can be swayed into being shown some measures that are saying they are taking care of it are not. Also I can be swayed into being shown some of the changes going on are natural. Still I think we need to take care of things and change things.

Mostly putting it because was wondering how much plants impact things versus the ocean. When I heard this decades ago I think the numbers they attributed to the ocean were more in the 80-90%. Though that was a long time ago and research can be wrong and corrected later. So I wasn't sure if it was still in the common belief.

Then again in billions of years from my understanding the sun is going to swallow everything up so we need an exit plan eventually no matter how well or badly we take care of things.
PanteraCanes

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Eat plant based foods and drive electric (if you drive at all). Easy as pie. Unfortunately most personal responsibility advocates rarely practice what they preach.
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:51 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:Thank you for all that. It was kind of what I wanted.

I didn't mean for it to be like we should care about plants or co2 or whatever we are doing to the environment. I am very much in favor of protecting the environment. Though I can be swayed into being shown some measures that are saying they are taking care of it are not. Also I can be swayed into being shown some of the changes going on are natural. Still I think we need to take care of things and change things.

Mostly putting it because was wondering how much plants impact things versus the ocean. When I heard this decades ago I think the numbers they attributed to the ocean were more in the 80-90%. Though that was a long time ago and research can be wrong and corrected later. So I wasn't sure if it was still in the common belief.

Then again in billions of years from my understanding the sun is going to swallow everything up so we need an exit plan eventually no matter how well or badly we take care of things.

heh yeah, I'm right there with you... I'm open to being swayed on most everything, this is just one thing that I've spent a lot of time with and it's going to take quite a bit for me. But I love when my beliefs get turned on their head, so I'm more than open to that.

I'm also with you that we should be working on an exit plan asap. I'm of the belief that, regardless of what we do at this point (beyond an almost immediate full-stop, and with emerging China/India/Africa, I don't think that's even a remote possibility), that we're beyond the pale. I'm sort of in the "enjoy it while you can guys, because this **** is fucked" kind of mind set. I think we're just at this unfortunate junction in time/human history/human technology, where we've figure out what we're doing, and we've kind of got an answer for the way out, but we're just too numerous, too divided, and too unevolved to make the steps we really need to make to go forward sustainably. So it's time to pick teams, and try to be on the winning team as we ride out the next 100 years of what, to me, appears is going to be an incredibly tumultuous time for human history - and to what degree the degredation of the natural environment (and its resources) is going to play a role in that... I'm unsure, but it's certainly going to be a piece of the puzzle, but so are many other factors (societal unrest, AI, nano-tech, VR, surveillance, war etc)
beardmcdoug

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:12 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Eat plant based foods and drive electric (if you drive at all). Easy as pie. Unfortunately most personal responsibility advocates rarely practice what they preach.

Why would we kill all the things absorbing the CO2? This guy is a planet terrorist!
Ken Carson

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Eat plant based foods and drive electric (if you drive at all). Easy as pie. Unfortunately most personal responsibility advocates rarely practice what they preach.

Why would we kill all the things absorbing the CO2? This guy is a planet terrorist!

Especially with all of irresponsible non-vegans out there eating beef thus contributing to the cow fart epidemic.

Between people eating meat and vegans eating plants the Earth is superfucked.

DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:27 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:Thank you for all that. It was kind of what I wanted.

heh yeah, I'm right there with you... I'm open to being swayed on most everything, this is just one thing that I've spent a lot of time with and it's going to take quite a bit for me. But I love when my beliefs get turned on their head, so I'm more than open to that.

I'm also with you that we should be working on an exit plan asap. I'm of the belief that, regardless of what we do at this point (beyond an almost immediate full-stop, and with emerging China/India/Africa, I don't think that's even a remote possibility), that we're beyond the pale. I'm sort of in the "enjoy it while you can guys, because this **** is fucked" kind of mind set. I think we're just at this unfortunate junction in time/human history/human technology, where we've figure out what we're doing, and we've kind of got an answer for the way out, but we're just too numerous, too divided, and too unevolved to make the steps we really need to make to go forward sustainably. So it's time to pick teams, and try to be on the winning team as we ride out the next 100 years of what, to me, appears is going to be an incredibly tumultuous time for human history - and to what degree the degredation of the natural environment (and its resources) is going to play a role in that... I'm unsure, but it's certainly going to be a piece of the puzzle, but so are many other factors (societal unrest, AI, nano-tech, VR, surveillance, war etc)

I like thinking about things that we can't comprehend in a pragmatic way. People can't comprehend death, so we have all sorts of stories made up about that. We think our lives are so precious..."humans will find a way to survive." Eh, or we'll just go up in a ball of flames and that'll be that.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Where do you think the electricity for your car comes from?
Last edited by Deuce on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:31 pm

RBF's in luck!

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/12 ... wildfires/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – A Los Angeles city councilman wants to require all movie theaters, large-scale entertainment venues, and other locations in the city to provide at least one vegan protein option in order to combat climate change.
Zarniwoop

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Deuce wrote:

I don’t have a car, but the math is simple, and electric is certainly way more efficient. As is plant based eating. So let’s refrain from the appeal to futility fallacies.
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I don’t have a car, but the math is simple, and electric is certainly way more efficient. As is plant based eating. So let’s refrain from the appeal to futility fallacies.

It's more efficient, but it's still coming from burning natural gas (most likely if you're in FL). Both of your efforts are more efficient, but doing those two things and acting like you're saving the planet is naive.

And not having a car is simply not an option for most people.
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:56 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Again, where do you think electricity comes from? What powers the generators that creates electricity?
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:59 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I don’t have a car, but the math is simple, and electric is certainly way more efficient. As is plant based eating. So let’s refrain from the appeal to futility fallacies.

Again, where do you think electricity comes from? What powers the generators that creates electricity?

It can come from many sources including the sun and wind.
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Cool. What kind of solar panels and/or wind turbines do you have?
Deuce

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Deuce wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:It can come from many sources including the sun and wind.

Cool. What kind of solar panels and/or wind turbines do you have?

I already said I don’t have a car.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:10 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Can the US or even Canada meet their ever increasing energy load with Solar panels and Wind turbines? Especially if more people start driving electric cars as you requested?
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion