Bernie Sanders

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:37 pm

NYBF wrote:*patiently waits for the OT thread to get bumped*

Done. Enjoy.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Corsair wrote:Why are we talking about me? I think it's implicit that when someone posts an article you should assume I've read it and want to share its contents with everyone.

Maybe it could get a conversation started about how much misinformation has been disseminated this election season, and many people around here took the bait a couple times. Myself included.

Ken has got some serious attention seeking behavior. I've been trying to ignore him with the hopes that he would start humping someone else's leg, but it appears he's fixated on me.


The exact point of the article you posted was 'people are going to share this without reading it.' I am looking at Wenchy's initial comment, so maybe you originally just posted the headline (and got her...?). Kudos to you, I guess.

Regardless, the point still remains. If the extent of your political discourse is 'post an article' and wait for others to discuss, you're basically a leftist version of a search engine. Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them. It's lazy. If you have something to say, write a long post like MB or Lach or, hell, McIrish. You posting someone else's words and adding less than 90 characters of your own thought is meaningless and just serves to finger kenda and irritate mdb.

Why don't you try to start a conversation around misinformation again? You know, by actually starting one. Unless you're really in it for the 'gotcha,' in which case, your whole premise of why you posted it is bullshit. As far as my fixation on you, well, if you want to see it that way, fine. I'm just a frustrated Democrat who sees the real problem with my party as people like you and kenda, not whatever the right is bitching about Obama today.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:53 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Corsair wrote:Why are we talking about me? I think it's implicit that when someone posts an article you should assume I've read it and want to share its contents with everyone.

Maybe it could get a conversation started about how much misinformation has been disseminated this election season, and many people around here took the bait a couple times. Myself included.

Ken has got some serious attention seeking behavior. I've been trying to ignore him with the hopes that he would start humping someone else's leg, but it appears he's fixated on me.


The exact point of the article you posted was 'people are going to share this without reading it.' I am looking at Wenchy's initial comment, so maybe you originally just posted the headline (and got her...?). Kudos to you, I guess.

Regardless, the point still remains. If the extent of your political discourse is 'post an article' and wait for others to discuss, you're basically a leftist version of a search engine. Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them. It's lazy. If you have something to say, write a long post like MB or Lach or, hell, McIrish. You posting someone else's words and adding less than 90 characters of your own thought is meaningless and just serves to finger kenda and irritate mdb.

Why don't you try to start a conversation around misinformation again? You know, by actually starting one. Unless you're really in it for the 'gotcha,' in which case, your whole premise of why you posted it is bullshit. As far as my fixation on you, well, if you want to see it that way, fine. I'm just a frustrated Democrat who sees the real problem with my party as people like you and kenda, not whatever the right is bitching about Obama today.


Posting articles to open conversation is just fine. No need to write your own dissertation (if you don't want to) if the thought is already out there. That is actually kind of the point of articles.

And Wenchy saw the entire article before she posted. That's how bad that post was.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 5207
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:32 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:
The exact point of the article you posted was 'people are going to share this without reading it.' I am looking at Wenchy's initial comment, so maybe you originally just posted the headline (and got her...?). Kudos to you, I guess.

Regardless, the point still remains. If the extent of your political discourse is 'post an article' and wait for others to discuss, you're basically a leftist version of a search engine. Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them. It's lazy. If you have something to say, write a long post like MB or Lach or, hell, McIrish. You posting someone else's words and adding less than 90 characters of your own thought is meaningless and just serves to finger kenda and irritate mdb.

Why don't you try to start a conversation around misinformation again? You know, by actually starting one. Unless you're really in it for the 'gotcha,' in which case, your whole premise of why you posted it is bullshit. As far as my fixation on you, well, if you want to see it that way, fine. I'm just a frustrated Democrat who sees the real problem with my party as people like you and kenda, not whatever the right is bitching about Obama today.


Posting articles to open conversation is just fine. No need to write your own dissertation (if you don't want to) if the thought is already out there. That is actually kind of the point of articles.

And Wenchy saw the entire article before she posted. That's how bad that post was.


You are exactly on point as usual PM. While I post my thoughts and opinions - should I not have the time - I will absolutely post articles from those who can write eloquently, brilliantly, and specifically. As well, most time Lach's writing is so thoughtful, cohesive and entertaining, he leaves very little room for additions. His words are rarely crass because he makes the writing choice to utilize his vocabulary, thoughts and musings to express himself clearly, concisely and humorously. Unfortunately, We can't all have the writing skills that Lach (and Icky) seem to so effortlessly possess.

The direct opposite of Lach is board troll wannabe Ken Carson. Never have I seen him post anything that Is remotely interesting, thought provoking or even funny. His main mission on this board seems to be competing with Seaman and Go_Bucs for worst troll of the board. They are all negative, shrill and worse vulgar which shines light on their lack of writing skills and imagination. They contribute not even an article or funny meme to further their fussing. They re-define tedious and plebeian.
User avatar
Babeinbucland
 
Posts: 3221
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:
The exact point of the article you posted was 'people are going to share this without reading it.' I am looking at Wenchy's initial comment, so maybe you originally just posted the headline (and got her...?). Kudos to you, I guess.

Regardless, the point still remains. If the extent of your political discourse is 'post an article' and wait for others to discuss, you're basically a leftist version of a search engine. Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them. It's lazy. If you have something to say, write a long post like MB or Lach or, hell, McIrish. You posting someone else's words and adding less than 90 characters of your own thought is meaningless and just serves to finger kenda and irritate mdb.

Why don't you try to start a conversation around misinformation again? You know, by actually starting one. Unless you're really in it for the 'gotcha,' in which case, your whole premise of why you posted it is bullshit. As far as my fixation on you, well, if you want to see it that way, fine. I'm just a frustrated Democrat who sees the real problem with my party as people like you and kenda, not whatever the right is bitching about Obama today.


Posting articles to open conversation is just fine. No need to write your own dissertation (if you don't want to) if the thought is already out there. That is actually kind of the point of articles.

And Wenchy saw the entire article before she posted. That's how bad that post was.

The point of articles is to replace individual thought and expression? That's the most depressing thing I've read on here today. If that is true, this political situation is beyond fucked.

If you can't articulate something of substance, and need an article to do it for you, you don't care enough about what you're discussing to take the time to make sure you're understood or you don't understand it well enough to explain it. Or you're too lazy to try, I suppose.

Take Kenda for example. That's the longest post she's ever made without plagiarizing something. Sure, it's mostly about how she wants to turn lach and how much she hates me for calling her on her inability to get outside party indoctrination to actually make a meaningful change for the left, but hey, she got her thoughts out without the aid of Sergey and Ariana. Kudos, babe.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Thank you for proving my point. You did it sublimely.
User avatar
Babeinbucland
 
Posts: 3221
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby NYBF » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Ken Carson wrote:Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them.


I got banned from an older board for buying a TV with a mod's cell phone number. Not commenting on your argument, but bringing up reasons why people were banned on the old board is like comparing apples and blowjobs.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:36 pm

NYBF wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them.


I got banned from an older board for buying a TV with a mod's cell phone number. Not commenting on your argument, but bringing up reasons why people were banned on the old board is like comparing apples and blowjobs.


Now hat you mention it, I caught a ban for bypassing the censor with the word 'crown.' Still haven't figured how that landed on the banned word list.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby NYBF » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:47 pm

That's a L O N G story.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Corsair » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Ken Carson wrote:The exact point of the article you posted was 'people are going to share this without reading it.' I am looking at Wenchy's initial comment, so maybe you originally just posted the headline (and got her...?). Kudos to you, I guess.

I posted the article in it's entirety. I'm not responsible for people commenting without reading, nor was it a gotcha moment. I thought the article was a clever way to get people's attention to something I find very disturbing. (the demonizing of the media, while embracing deliberate misinformation)


Ken Carson wrote:Regardless, the point still remains. If the extent of your political discourse is 'post an article' and wait for others to discuss, you're basically a leftist version of a search engine. Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them. It's lazy. If you have something to say, write a long post like MB or Lach or, hell, McIrish. You posting someone else's words and adding less than 90 characters of your own thought is meaningless and just serves to finger kenda and irritate mdb.

I don't care if you like my posting style. I've been a member of this community for about 14 years and I've shared long posts and short. Articles from publications I enjoy, as well as personal stories, personal pictures, heartfelt cries for board members going through the worst, and I've battled soft skulls like you who only contribute your criticism of me. I've earned the right to not give a **** about your complaints. I've suffered through your condescension on multiple times with your fake "congrats on not plagiarizing this post" and "great job writing your first original thought on this board" when I do take the time to address you, so I don't really know what you want from me. I'm not here to satisfy your personal message board monitoring. You want to comment on the subject at hand, feel free. You want to comment on my habits, seek the closest freeway to play hop scotch.

Ken Carson wrote:Why don't you try to start a conversation around misinformation again? You know, by actually starting one.

I did, and it was starting to get going until you stuck your nose up my ass looking for attention.

Ken Carson wrote: I'm just a frustrated Democrat who sees the real problem with my party as people like you and kenda, not whatever the right is bitching about Obama today.


Be the change that you want to see. Stop blaming it on others. I did my part this election, and I'd bet dollars to donuts it was more than you did. I knocked on doors, I made phone calls for the Bernie campaign and I was at polling stations on primary day instructing voters not to take a provisional ballot while ballot workers peddled wrong information in my district. I've written letters and sent voicemails to every legislator that represents me. From the Governor of California down to the local district representatives. I wrote Elizabeth Warren and expressed my concern for her failing to endorse the candidate who agreed most with her views. I wrote my newest CA senator Kamala Harris urging her to back Keith Ellison as the new DNC chair. I've called the DNC, I've sent letters to Donna Brazile and Debbie Wasserman (words I won't share here). I'm damn sure they've heard my viewpoint.

You are going to pin this loss on me? I doubt you even voted for the Democratic platform.
Last edited by Corsair on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Corsair
 
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 pm

Corsair wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:The exact point of the article you posted was 'people are going to share this without reading it.' I am looking at Wenchy's initial comment, so maybe you originally just posted the headline (and got her...?). Kudos to you, I guess.

I posted the article in it's entirety. I'm not responsible for people commenting without reading, nor was it a gotcha moment. I thought the article was a clever way to get people's attention to something I find very disturbing. (the demonizing of the media, while embracing deliberate misinformation)


Ken Carson wrote:Regardless, the point still remains. If the extent of your political discourse is 'post an article' and wait for others to discuss, you're basically a leftist version of a search engine. Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them. It's lazy. If you have something to say, write a long post like MB or Lach or, hell, McIrish. You posting someone else's words and adding less than 90 characters of your own thought is meaningless and just serves to finger kenda and irritate mdb.

I don't care if you like my posting style. I've been a member of this community for about 14 years and I've shared long posts and short. Articles from publications I enjoy, as well as personal stories, personal pictures, heartfelt cries for board members going through the worst, and I've battled soft skulls like you who only contribute your criticism of me. I've earned the right to not give a **** about your complaints. I've suffered through your condescension on multiple times with your fake "congrats on not plagiarizing this post" and "great job writing your first original thought on this board" when I do take the time to address you, so I don't really know what you want from me. I'm not here to satisfy your personal message board monitoring. You want to comment on the subject at hand, feel free. You want to comment on my habits, seek the closest freeway to play hop scotch.

Ken Carson wrote:Why don't you try to start a conversation around misinformation again? You know, by actually starting one.

I did, and it was starting to get going until you stuck your nose up my ass looking for attention.

Ken Carson wrote: I'm just a frustrated Democrat who sees the real problem with my party as people like you and kenda, not whatever the right is bitching about Obama today.


Be the change that you want to see. Stop blaming it on others. I did my part this election, and I'd bet dollars to donuts it was more than you did. I knocked on doors, I made phone calls for the Bernie campaign and I was at polling stations on primary day instructing voters not to take a provisional ballot while ballot workers peddled wrong information in my district. Did you even vote for the Democratic candidate?


Of course he didn't, that would mean he would actually have to educate himself on the issues. And most of The complexity of those issues were beyond his comprehension. As I said before, all he knows how to do is troll fussing, troll fighting and attack with vulgarities hoping he can impress and garner attention. A well-thought-out cogent argument is above his pay grade and beyond his grey matter.
User avatar
Babeinbucland
 
Posts: 3221
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:18 pm

Corsair wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:The exact point of the article you posted was 'people are going to share this without reading it.' I am looking at Wenchy's initial comment, so maybe you originally just posted the headline (and got her...?). Kudos to you, I guess.

I posted the article in it's entirety. I'm not responsible for people commenting without reading, nor was it a gotcha moment. I thought the article was a clever way to get people's attention to something I find very disturbing. (the demonizing of the media, while embracing deliberate misinformation)


Ken Carson wrote:Regardless, the point still remains. If the extent of your political discourse is 'post an article' and wait for others to discuss, you're basically a leftist version of a search engine. Fooball got banned from an older board because he would simply post Bucs articles without ever commenting on them. It's lazy. If you have something to say, write a long post like MB or Lach or, hell, McIrish. You posting someone else's words and adding less than 90 characters of your own thought is meaningless and just serves to finger kenda and irritate mdb.

I don't care if you like my posting style. I've been a member of this community for about 14 years and I've shared long posts and short. Articles from publications I enjoy, as well as personal stories, personal pictures, heartfelt cries for board members going through the worst, and I've battled soft skulls like you who only contribute your criticism of me. I've earned the right to not give a **** about your complaints. I've suffered through your condescension on multiple times with your fake "congrats on not plagiarizing this post" and "great job writing your first original thought on this board" when I do take the time to address you, so I don't really know what you want from me. I'm not here to satisfy your personal message board monitoring. You want to comment on the subject at hand, feel free. You want to comment on my habits, seek the closest freeway to play hop scotch.

Ken Carson wrote:Why don't you try to start a conversation around misinformation again? You know, by actually starting one.

I did, and it was starting to get going until you stuck your nose up my ass looking for attention.

Ken Carson wrote: I'm just a frustrated Democrat who sees the real problem with my party as people like you and kenda, not whatever the right is bitching about Obama today.


Be the change that you want to see. Stop blaming it on others. I did my part this election, and I'd bet dollars to donuts it was more than you did. I knocked on doors, I made phone calls for the Bernie campaign and I was at polling stations on primary day instructing voters not to take a provisional ballot while ballot workers peddled wrong information in my district. I've written letters and sent voicemails to every legislator that represents me. From the Governor of California down to the local district representatives. I wrote Elizabeth Warren and expressed my concern for her failing to endorse the candidate who agreed most with her views. I wrote my newest CA senator Kamala Harris urging her to back Keith Ellison as the new DNC chair. I've called the DNC, I've sent letters to Donna Brazile and Debbie Wasserman (words I won't share here). I'm damn sure they've heard my viewpoint.

You are going to pin this loss on me? I doubt you even voted for the Democratic platform.

Why is it that so many people are great at these personal attack posts, but fail to input the same effort on things they claim to care about? I'm probably the same way though, so don't bother looking up my posting history. Unlikely that would go in my favor.

I'm glad you're very involved politically with the party. That seems to be what you desire. I'm more in the business of trying to change people's minds on issues, so generally when I see Dems that aren't good at it, I'll give them hell for it. The condescension has been proven to not work. I said it a ton prior to the election, but I would say the results speak for themselves at this point. Doubling down on calling the other guys racists and homophobes won't work. I'll elaborate on this point by posting this article from Vox:https://www.google.com/amp/www.vox.com/platform/amp/identities/2016/11/15/13595508/racism-trump-research-study?client=safari

I hope you'll give that a read. Maybe you will understand why I give you a hard time. I will admit that I probably have been more stressed the last 6 months, so I have been more unkind than I should have been. Apologies for that.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:27 am

I don't think that Bernie remains the face and de facto leader of the Alt-Left now primarily due to his defeat and age. I think everyone is assuming Elizabeth Warren will seize the mantle but I would keep an eye on Keith Ellison, especially if he is chosen to lead the DNC.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 1814
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:28 am

Brazen331 wrote:I don't think that Bernie remains the face and de facto leader of the Alt-Left now primarily due to his defeat and age. I think everyone is assuming Elizabeth Warren will seize the mantle but I would keep an eye on Keith Ellison, especially if he is chosen to lead the DNC.

Alt-left...LOL!
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:52 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:I don't think that Bernie remains the face and de facto leader of the Alt-Left now primarily due to his defeat and age. I think everyone is assuming Elizabeth Warren will seize the mantle but I would keep an eye on Keith Ellison, especially if he is chosen to lead the DNC.

Alt-left...LOL!

Is that a thing people are saying? I've never heard it before...
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:03 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Alt-left...LOL!

Is that a thing people are saying? I've never heard it before...

It's a first for me, that's why I laughed.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:11 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Alt-left...LOL!

Is that a thing people are saying? I've never heard it before...


Nah, that's just brazen.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 5207
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:14 pm

Seems like the Democrat establishment and the far right are teaming up to take down the movement liberal. Does the far right and far left find common ground in anti-Semitism or are Bannon and Ellison both bearing smeared? Using allegations from a divorce proceeding and past association that Ellison might have had seems trivial to me. If Ellison thought that Zionism equals White Supremacy in the past and broke bread with Louis Farrakan back in the day that does not necessarily mean that he supports those views now. Bernie Sanders is backing him after all. I think Ellison is a better choice than someone like Howard Dean but then again what will mdb think if Ellison does take the leadership of one of our major political parties?

https://thinkprogress.org/the-growing-s ... 3e16fab864
Brazen331
 
Posts: 1814
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:19 am

He's starting to sound like mdb now.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Ken Carson wrote::https://www.google.com/amp/www.vox.com/platform/amp/identities/2016/11/15/13595508/racism-trump-research-study?client=safari


Corsair, you get a chance to read it yet?
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Corsair » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Yup.
Image
User avatar
Corsair
 
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:22 pm

So, no thoughts?
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Corsair » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Ken Carson wrote:So, no thoughts?

It's certainly not a new idea, and I believe I've skimmed this article before. You catch more flies with honey, right?

Immediately, I think of it the same way I treat my family. Take my father. He was born in 1935 and lives in a world where he is retired (in Punta Gorda) and has decided to let his racist flag fly. While I could easily scream "Racist!" at him and shun him, I obviously don't. We have a dialogue and despite his outbursts, we communicate with a (mostly) mutual respect.

I feel like I treat anyone whom I meet in person the same way... but as this article suggests, this reality doesn't extend to the internet.

If I felt like I could communicate rationally and change the minds of the many "useful idiots" here on the board, I would. But many of these self appointed Trump surrogates have abandoned reason and rationality and their discriminatory ways have come home to roost. I will continue to call out racism, xenophobia, discrimination, and hypocrisy as I see it. As I assume people will continue to ignore their own deplorable ways.

You do you, Ken. I know you like to think you don't attack, harass, or ridicule people you disagree with. Concentrate on your own message. Be the change you want to see.
Image
User avatar
Corsair
 
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:47 am

Corsair wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:So, no thoughts?

It's certainly not a new idea, and I believe I've skimmed this article before. You catch more flies with honey, right?

Immediately, I think of it the same way I treat my family. Take my father. He was born in 1935 and lives in a world where he is retired (in Punta Gorda) and has decided to let his racist flag fly. While I could easily scream "Racist!" at him and shun him, I obviously don't. We have a dialogue and despite his outbursts, we communicate with a (mostly) mutual respect.

I feel like I treat anyone whom I meet in person the same way... but as this article suggests, this reality doesn't extend to the internet.

If I felt like I could communicate rationally and change the minds of the many "useful idiots" here on the board, I would. But many of these self appointed Trump surrogates have abandoned reason and rationality and their discriminatory ways have come home to roost. I will continue to call out racism, xenophobia, discrimination, and hypocrisy as I see it. As I assume people will continue to ignore their own deplorable ways.

You do you, Ken. I know you like to think you don't attack, harass, or ridicule people you disagree with. Concentrate on your own message. Be the change you want to see.

The way people are treated by the opposing viewpoint on the internet directly affects how they respond to the opposing views in general. Many of them will only ever experience the opposition on the internet.
I wonder what MB would say on the subject as he has had a very dramatic turn. Was it all 'off-board' stuff?
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:17 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Corsair wrote:It's certainly not a new idea, and I believe I've skimmed this article before. You catch more flies with honey, right?

Immediately, I think of it the same way I treat my family. Take my father. He was born in 1935 and lives in a world where he is retired (in Punta Gorda) and has decided to let his racist flag fly. While I could easily scream "Racist!" at him and shun him, I obviously don't. We have a dialogue and despite his outbursts, we communicate with a (mostly) mutual respect.

I feel like I treat anyone whom I meet in person the same way... but as this article suggests, this reality doesn't extend to the internet.

If I felt like I could communicate rationally and change the minds of the many "useful idiots" here on the board, I would. But many of these self appointed Trump surrogates have abandoned reason and rationality and their discriminatory ways have come home to roost. I will continue to call out racism, xenophobia, discrimination, and hypocrisy as I see it. As I assume people will continue to ignore their own deplorable ways.

You do you, Ken. I know you like to think you don't attack, harass, or ridicule people you disagree with. Concentrate on your own message. Be the change you want to see.

The way people are treated by the opposing viewpoint on the internet directly affects how they respond to the opposing views in general. Many of them will only ever experience the opposition on the internet.
I wonder what MB would say on the subject as he has had a very dramatic turn. Was it all 'off-board' stuff?


I had to deal with my own prejudice up close and personal at a young age. So even as I ran around a rampaging conservative, I didn't "go there" and always had a problem with the welfare queen stereotype. I always felt that conservative economics would trump liberal social pandering.

Speaking of social pandering, real good article in the NYT over the weekend.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

Much evidence to back this line of thinking up as evidenced by the Sanders campaign.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:35 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:The way people are treated by the opposing viewpoint on the internet directly affects how they respond to the opposing views in general. Many of them will only ever experience the opposition on the internet.
I wonder what MB would say on the subject as he has had a very dramatic turn. Was it all 'off-board' stuff?


I had to deal with my own prejudice up close and personal at a young age. So even as I ran around a rampaging conservative, I didn't "go there" and always had a problem with the welfare queen stereotype. I always felt that conservative economics would trump liberal social pandering.

Speaking of social pandering, real good article in the NYT over the weekend.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

Much evidence to back this line of thinking up as evidenced by the Sanders campaign.




Thats a good article.


However i see most liberals in the future doubling down on idetity liberalism...and NOT doing as this writer suggests
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:11 pm

That is the anecdotal counterpart to the Vox article I posted. Very good read, and any liberal who wants to get beyond feeling ideological moral superiority over the other side will take it to heart.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:The way people are treated by the opposing viewpoint on the internet directly affects how they respond to the opposing views in general. Many of them will only ever experience the opposition on the internet.
I wonder what MB would say on the subject as he has had a very dramatic turn. Was it all 'off-board' stuff?


I had to deal with my own prejudice up close and personal at a young age. So even as I ran around a rampaging conservative, I didn't "go there" and always had a problem with the welfare queen stereotype. I always felt that conservative economics would trump liberal social pandering.

Speaking of social pandering, real good article in the NYT over the weekend.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

Much evidence to back this line of thinking up as evidenced by the Sanders campaign.


What connection do you see with the Sanders campaign?
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 5207
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:01 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:
I had to deal with my own prejudice up close and personal at a young age. So even as I ran around a rampaging conservative, I didn't "go there" and always had a problem with the welfare queen stereotype. I always felt that conservative economics would trump liberal social pandering.

Speaking of social pandering, real good article in the NYT over the weekend.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

Much evidence to back this line of thinking up as evidenced by the Sanders campaign.


What connection do you see with the Sanders campaign?

Bernie is about the country as a whole. What he sees as the problem, the source of the problem, and how to fix it.

Aside from ideological differences, the only people left out of Bernie's vision are the 1%. And it's not like he would toss them into a gulag.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Bernie Sanders

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:43 am

Pretty much this...

Image
Image
Image

Super Kudos to the Redditor who wrote that.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 431 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], beardmcdoug, Ken Carson and 5 guests