Random terrorism news

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random terrorism news

Postby RedLeader » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:26 pm

bucfanclw wrote:Thankfully Obama left Trump with a fairly easy job to just continue the course after a majority of ISIS fighters were wiped out between 2014 and 2016. Good job on continuing the trend!

Between 2014 - 2016?! Lol

How long was Obama in office again?

And who do you think let it boon to 15,000 to begin with?

Regardless, I agree with you that Trump is doing a good job continuing the trend... and thankfully not waiting until the end of his second term.
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:29 pm

RedLeader wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Thankfully Obama left Trump with a fairly easy job to just continue the course after a majority of ISIS fighters were wiped out between 2014 and 2016. Good job on continuing the trend!

Regardless, I agree with you that Trump is doing a good job continuing the trend... and thankfully not waiting until the end of his second term.

Bush when he invaded the country to begin with.

It's all water under the bridge anyway...until the next batch of radicals gets motivated.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:51 pm

RedLeader wrote:

15,000? But your picture said 45,000. It seems you're about as confused with the numbers as Fox is. I'm shocked!
bucfanclw

Postby RedLeader » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 am

bucfanclw wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

15,000? But your picture said 45,000. It seems you're about as confused with the numbers as Fox is. I'm shocked!

Lol. You got me, dude!

:roll:
RedLeader

Postby HamBone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Widow of Orlando nightclub gunman on trial on charge of aiding attack

The widow of the gunman who killed 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, in June 2016 is set to stand trial in federal court starting on Thursday on charges including aiding her husband in one of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history.

Noor Salman, wife of Omar Mateen, is the only person charged in the attack on the Pulse nightclub and faces up to life in prison if convicted. Mateen, 29, died in an exchange of gunfire with police at the club.

Salman was at home with the couple's then 3-year-old son at the time of the attack. But prosecutors said she knew of her husband's plans to launch an attack and did nothing to stop it.

Although she initially denied the accusations, Salman later told federal investigators she knew that her husband was watching Islamic State in Iraq recruitment videos, had purchased an assault rifle and examined three possible attack locations, they said in court documents.

"The defendant aided and abetted her husband in this mass-murder and repeatedly lied to law enforcement during and after the attack in an effort to obstruct the FBI’s ongoing investigation," they said in a legal filing.

Defense lawyers contend the U.S. government could not show any direct links between Mateen and the Islamic State before the attack and has provided no evidence that Salman aided her husband.

"It was Mateen, not Noor, who decided to attack the Pulse Night Club, Mateen who chose to drive to the club, Mateen who purchased the weapon and ammunition, and Mateen who alone carried out the attack," they said in legal filings.

Salman, 31, has been indicted on two charges: obstruction of justice for suspected false statements to federal investigators and aiding and abetting Mateen in his attempt to provide material support to a terrorist organization.

The trial at a federal court in Orlando is set to begin with jury selection on Thursday and could take as long as a month, court officials said.

Mateen opened fire shortly after the last call for drinks on the club's popular Latin night. He gunned down patrons on the dance floor and sprayed bullets at others cowering in bathroom stalls.

Holding hostages during his standoff with police, Mateen claimed allegiance to a leader of the Islamic State militant group before he was fatally shot.
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Austin rocked by 3rd explosion in 11 days
By MEGHAN KENEALLY JOSH MARGOLIN
Mar 12, 2018, 3:15 PM ET

A second explosion rocked Austin, Texas[/url], hours after an earlier blast, which was apparently caused by a package left on a porch, killed a teen and injured a woman.

The first blast, reported about 6:44 a.m., killed a male teenager and injured a woman in her 40s. The second explosion today injured another woman, with authorities evaluating whether a second person was also hurt, according to the Austin Police Department.

Investigators said earlier that first blast today may be connected to a March 2 blast in Austin because of the composition of the explosive device used. The police chief declined to discuss the construction of the explosive device or what specific elements make it look similar to the earlier one.

The explosion "is very similar to the incident that occurred in Austin back on March 2, and if you’ll remember, that incident also occurred in the morning hours when the victim, in that case, went out front and found a package on their front steps that exploded causing that individual’s death," police chief Brian Manley said at a news conference Monday.

What is known about today's blasts

The first explosion today occurred at a single-family house in the northeast section of the city and appears to have been caused by a package that had been placed on the porch of a home rather than delivered by a mail service, police said. Police believe the explosion happened after residents took the package inside to open it.

"What we understand at this point is that earlier this morning, residents went out front, and there was a package on the front doorstep. They brought that package inside the residence and as they opened that package, both victims were in the kitchen and the package exploded causing the injuries that resulted in the young man’s death and the injuries to the adult female," Manley said today.

Authorities have warned residents that if they receive a package they are not expecting, they should contact the Austin Police Department.

Story continues...
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Ban explosions!!!
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Is use of a nerve agent terrorism?
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:42 pm

NYBF wrote:Is use of a nerve agent terrorism?

I would say it could qualify, yes.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:47 pm

The Outsider wrote:
NYBF wrote:Is use of a nerve agent terrorism?

Depends on the use. On the battlefield it's chemical warfare.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:19 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Depends on the use. On the battlefield it's chemical warfare.

True, but any weapon like that is only used these days to scare the **** out of people, whether it's in a mall or on a battlefield.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 am

The Outsider wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Depends on the use. On the battlefield it's chemical warfare.

True, but any weapon like that is only used these days to scare the **** out of people, whether it's in a mall or on a battlefield.

Mortars are pretty damned scary too. Modern version has been around for 100 years.

Used on the battlefield it's conventional warfare. Used on Disneyworld it's terrorism.

Point being, it's a matter of tactics rather than weapons used.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Mortars are pretty damned scary too. Modern version has been around for 100 years.

Used on the battlefield it's conventional warfare. Used on Disneyworld it's terrorism.

Comparing something that kills you via convulsions and insanely painful respiratory and organ failure to mortars is ****ing stupid and you know it.

There's a reason most of the world decided to ban chemical and biological weapons and mortars are still in use
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Mortars are pretty damned scary too. Modern version has been around for 100 years.

Comparing something that kills you via convulsions and insanely painful respiratory and organ failure to mortars is ****ing stupid and you know it.

There's a reason most of the world decided to ban chemical and biological weapons and mortars are still in use

I'm not saying they are equivalent. Dulche et decorum wouldn't have been a remarkable poem if the guy simply blew up.

I'm simply saying terrorism is better defined by it's tactics rather than its weapons.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I'm not saying they are equivalent. Dulche et decorum wouldn't have been a remarkable poem if the guy simply blew up.

I'm simply saying terrorism is better defined by it's tactics rather than its weapons.

I get that, but what I'm saying is that any tactic involving the use of chemical weapons is going to utilize fear as one of it's primary components. Combine that with the guaranteed dispersal and collateral damage that comes with those types of weapons and you get military executed terrorism. It's all the same ****, even if the guys using it are uniformed and on government payroll.
The Outsider

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 am

4th bomb in Austin.
Rocker

Postby The Outsider » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am

Rocker wrote:4th bomb in Austin.

White kids in a yuppie area too. Kinda puts a damper on the whole "racially motivated" thing.
The Outsider

Postby NYBF » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:48 am

The Outsider wrote:

White kids in a yuppie area too. Kinda puts a damper on the whole "racially motivated" thing.

Bomber fucked up now.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 am

NYBF wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Bomber fucked up now.

Why?

Waiting for race related reason....
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:57 am

The Outsider wrote:

To be fair the previous non-white victims were in yuppie areas also. But this is Austin, so there is alot of yuppie areas.
DreadNaught

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 am

Buc2 wrote:
NYBF wrote:
Bomber fucked up now.

Why?

A lot of folks in that area feel it would have been dealt with differently if non-minority victims were the original target, per the WaPo article I skimmed at the airport.
Rocker

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Rocker wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Why?

A lot of folks in that area feel it would have been dealt with differently if non-minority victims were the original target, per the WaPo article I skimmed at the airport.

Of course, it's Austin and WaPo. I'd be shocked if that wasn't the headline.

So since the bomber isn't a racist, the authorities must be now it seems.

Do we have any actual proof/evidence that racism has played a part in this in anyway whatsoever? If so, what is it? Or are these just feelings and opinions?
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Rocker wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Why?

Hence, why I always avoid reading WP. I'll open and read the story from most any other source before I'll open and read the WP version.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Rocker wrote:

Do we have any actual proof/evidence that racism has played a part in this in anyway whatsoever? If so, what is it? Or are these just feelings and opinions?

I think what Rocker was saying is that the WaPo believes (and what I believe NYBF was alluding to) the Austin police didn't care when it was minorities getting blown up, but now that it's white kids, they'll up their game.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:36 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Rocker wrote:

Proof? No. But since the first three victims were black and Hispanic, authorities said the possibility that it's a hate crime is something they're investigating. Makes sense, doesn't it?
NYBF

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Rocker wrote:

Hence, why I always avoid reading WP. I'll open and read the story from most any other source before I'll open and read the WP version.

Me too, buddy. But time was short and it was the first hit on the search.
Rocker

Postby The Outsider » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:56 pm

I was under the impression that the previous bombings took place in a part of Austin that is majority Black and Hispanic.

I may be wrong because I know nothing about Austin.
The Outsider

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 pm

I hope they catch this terrorist ASAP. Reminds me of the Unabomber scare.
PrimeMinister

Postby The Outsider » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:12 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I hope they catch this terrorist ASAP. Reminds me of the Unabomber scare.

Much more active than Kazcinsky though. Which is why it will hopefully be easier to catch this one.
The Outsider

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 pm

The Outsider wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:I hope they catch this terrorist ASAP. Reminds me of the Unabomber scare.

Much more active than Kazcinsky though. Which is why it will hopefully be easier to catch this one.

Maybe they need a linguistics expert? #Wudder
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion