Random terrorism news

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random terrorism news

Postby NYBF » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:00 am

DreadNaught wrote:
NYBF wrote:
Either a poor attempt at trolling or you're beyond stupid. Which one is it?

You lack originality. If this is trolling than that's all OT has become.

I simply asked a question since clewy doesn't feel this is terrorism, which I could be inclined to agree with if presented reasoning as to why. I didn't know asking a question in response to a reply was considered beyond stupid.

So why is this specific mass church shooting not even discussed as domestic terrorism? I'd be glad to move this topic to a more appropriate thread, just let me know which.

You choose B. Got it.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:18 am

Good talk. Appreciate your contribution.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:01 am

DreadNaught wrote:Good talk. Appreciate your contribution.

With Roof, there were pictures of him with confederate flags and nazi uniforms minutes after he was taken in. A quick look at his online presence showed exactly what his motivation was. And that's why it was discussed here. Same type of story with the other church shootings.

As far as this last one? Everything I've read said they've got no motive. No online presence saying "**** whitey." No one who knows him has offered up any reasoning. One story I read said he had attended services there in the past, so it doesn't appear to be religious differences. If you've got a legitimate source that shows a shred of evidence yet that this is a hate crime, let's see it. Then we'll discuss it.

Until then, I'm going to wait.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:38 am

I never once mentioned this was racially motivated or a hate crime. I certainly don't think it was anywhere near the atrocity of the the what Dylan Roof did which was clearly a racially motivated hate crime. So I totally agree we should wait before going there.

But was the Roof incident considered an act of domestic terrorism here b/c it was racially motivated? Or b/c he shot up a church?

My point was the complete lack of coverage which I found interesting since on the surface it sounds like a story the media would pounce on (Mass shooting at a church, Gun violence, etc).

The lack of coverage makes details/facts sketchy, but the victims seem random and not targeted so that is why I haven't dismissed it as some type 'workplace violence' either. The suspects only affiliation w/ that church was that he attended a couple services there, but had not been back in over a year prior to arriving a few days ago and proceeded to kill a mother of 2 along w/ wounding 6 others before being subdued by a brave patron that was an usher at the church.

Maybe it's just some wacko..
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 am

The Roof shooting was domestic terrorism because it was a racially motivated attack that deliberately targeted an African American church to make a statement. Is that really a hard concept to grasp?

EDIT: and as far as the just some wacko comment, doesn't the fact that he's on record as being suicidal kind of help cement that?
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:19 am

bucfanclw wrote:The Roof shooting was domestic terrorism because it was a racially motivated attack that deliberately targeted an African American church to make a statement. Is that really a hard concept to grasp?

Take a deep breath pal. I agree the Roof shooting was Domestic terrorism in addition to obviously being racially motivated.

My statement was in an effort to understand the correlation people make between hate crimes and domestic terror.

The motivation of this incident in TN are completely unknown right now. The suspect clearly targeted the church, but not specific people and shot whoever at random based on what I've read.

I don't think it's fair to just call the guy a wacko without knowing his motivation since any person who commits an act like this is crazy to some degree imo. Was the church selected at random since he had visited there over a year prior? Or was there some reason that church was the location he selected? Those are my questions..

Anyways, a silver lining is the hero that saved a lot more lives being lost with is act of heroism.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:31 am

So DN, since we're just trying to understand things here, any thoughts on how a guy with a recorded history of suicidal actions was able to legally attain the guns he used for the shooting, or is that topic off limits?
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:24 pm

bucfanclw wrote:So DN, since we're just trying to understand things here, any thoughts on how a guy with a recorded history of suicidal actions was able to legally attain the guns he used for the shooting, or is that topic off limits?

When did I ever state a topic was off limits? Seems odd any person would mention such a thing on a message board.

I'm also pretty confident I'm on record here in past gun control discussion as supporting expanded background checks for firearms as it pertains to mental health.

Does this suspects recorded history of suicidal thoughts expand to actual mental health records? Or are we talking about his social media and other forms of personal communications? If it's the latter than I'm not sure if expanded background checks would've prevented anything. But there is certainly a possibility.
DreadNaught

Postby Pirate Life » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:41 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Please, explain the terrorism connections we've all apparently missed.

I'm just following the precedent that has been set in this thread. I figured when a mass shooting resulting in loss of life to innocent bystanders occurs at a church it's domestic terrorism.

Let me know what thread would be more appropriate for you.

Not sure about the rest of the thread, but terrorism (domestic or otherwise) is determined by the motive of the individual carrying it out. Thus far, in this case I haven't read anything about a motive one way or another. Dylann Roof, domestic terrorism due to his motives as he wanted to kill black people to inspire a race war. Adam Lanza, not domestic terrorism since his entire motive seems to have been just to kill a bunch of kids. Wade Page, domestic terrorism due to his motives as a white supremacist and beliefs that there was a racial holy war coming. John Neumann Jr, not domestic terrorism as his motive was getting back at the people at the company he used to work for. Rizwan Farook, domestic terrorism due to his political/religious beliefs. Spencer Hight, not domestic terrorism because his motive was to attack his wife and her friends after she wanted a divorce.

In the case of this church shooting, as much as certain media folks are trying to make it into a terrorist act and imply it's being ignored/glossed over because it doesn't fit a narrative, it's not what some are trying to make it into. Yes, the shooter was an immigrant but he came over to the US when he was a child with his family legally and is a US citizen now. He's a christian and attended the church the shooting took place at. He was not stopped by a good guy with a gun - the guy who stopped him grabbed him and while the shooter was pistol whipping him, he accidently shot himself. At that point the guy went out to his truck and grabbed his gun to keep the guy under control until the police got there. Since we still don't know his motives, can't say if it's domestic terrorism or not. From local reports, mostly sounds like the guy was having mental health issues.
Pirate Life

Postby NYBF » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:02 am

Saw an AP report that a note was found in his car making reference to the shooting being revenge for the Roof shooting. Looks like this one fits the bill as well.
NYBF

Postby StillCSG » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 am

Shooting at country music festival in Vegas

50 dead
200 wounded
StillCSG

Postby NYBF » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:11 pm

FBI: Man left jar filled with explosive chemicals, nails at North Carolina airport

RALEIGH, N.C. -- A man planted a Mason jar filled with explosive chemicals and nails at a western North Carolina airport last week and vowed to "fight a war on U.S. soil," according to court documents released Tuesday.

The criminal complaint written by an FBI agent said investigators found the improvised explosive device Friday morning at the Asheville airport near a terminal entrance. Asheville police bomb technicians then rendered it safe.

The complaint accuses Saeed Ahmad of attempted malicious use of explosive materials and unlawful possession of explosives at an airport.

Ahmad was arrested Saturday, and the complaint says he admitted leaving the explosive device at the airport. The complaint states that Ahmad "claimed he was getting ready to 'fight a war on U.S. soil,'" but didn't elaborate on this alleged motive.

He was being held at the Buncombe County jail without bond after a brief court hearing Tuesday.

A federal public defender assigned to the case, Fredilyn Sison, didn't immediately return messages seeking comment.

Court documents say authorities found the improvised explosive device around 7 a.m. Friday at Asheville Regional Airport. It contained ammonium nitrate and Sterno fuel, along with steel wool that was then wrapped around nails and a .410 gauge Winchester shotgun cartridge, the complaint says.

An alarm clock was taped to the outside of the jar with matches attached to the arm that strikes the bells, according to court documents. The alarm had been set for Friday at 6, the complaint says.

Surveillance video showed Ahmad dressed in black pants, a jacket and black hat approaching the terminal entrance shortly after 12:30 a.m. Friday and appearing to leave behind a bag, the FBI agent wrote. In nearby woods, investigators later found a backpack and tool kit containing similar items to what was used in the explosive device: tape, Sterno fuel and more shotgun shells. Investigators determined such items had been purchased at nearby stores earlier in the week, providing more surveillance video.

Detectives searched the Walmart, Lowes and REI stores where they say he purchased materials for his device. The materials were paid for in cash at all three stores, but Ahmad allegedly used his REI membership number while making the purchase there, allowing officials to learn his identity.

Authorities released a photograph made from the surveillance video, and tips from the public led them to Ahmad, who was arrested Saturday near one of the stores.

The complaint said Ahmad waived his Miranda rights, answering questions and admitting to building and planting the device.

"Ahmad described how he created the device ... and then rigged the alarm clock to strike the matches and cause the flame necessary to trigger the device," the complaint states. "More specifically, the alarm clock would go off, the matches would strike, the Sterno would heat up, and then the Ammonium Nitrate would explode."

However, Ahmad also claimed that he hadn't actually set the device to go off, the complaint says. He told investigators that he had staged himself in the woods near the airport in the days before planting the device.

A man who answered the phone at a listing for Ahmad in Tazewell, Tennessee, said he didn't know the suspect.

The investigation led to an evacuation of the airport's baggage claim and the lobby area Friday, reports CBS affiliate WSPA.

"I've flown out here several times and its always felt really safe," passenger Ashley Kuykendall told the station on Friday evening. "I would never think that anything like that would happen here."
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:46 pm

Zarniwoop

Postby RedLeader » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Sadly another attack. 8 dead

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/york-city-off ... ories.html

Damn. Coward was from Tampa.

ISIS to have put the word out to encourage attacks this Halloween.

Be safe out there, y'all.
RedLeader

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:47 am

RedLeader wrote:Damn. Coward was from Tampa.

Uzbekistan is just east of Tampa. It's former USSR so maybe Putin was behind this.

Seriously though, it was a scary few minutes yesterday since I (like many here) have friends and family in NYC and it sucks making the call/text to verify they were ok.
DreadNaught

Postby RedLeader » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 am

DreadNaught wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Damn. Coward was from Tampa.

Uzbekistan is just east of Tampa. It's former USSR so maybe Putin was behind this.

Seriously though, it was a scary few minutes yesterday since I (like many here) have friends and family in NYC and it sucks making the call/text to verify they were ok.

Putin is behind EVERYTHING.
RedLeader

Postby acaton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:53 am

This morning Joe and Mika outlined the cause of this attack as a direct response to Trump's tweets.

The end.

Short, fat and slow often does the trick...45ACP
acaton

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Religion of Peace strikes again
beardmcdoug

Postby NYBF » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:41 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Religion of Peace strikes again

What religion was the guy who shot 500 people?
NYBF

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:49 pm

NYBF wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:Religion of Peace strikes again

the white patriarchy
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:58 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
NYBF wrote:

the white patriarchy

The real threat to humanity!!!
DreadNaught

Postby acaton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:07 pm

I though that was Woopie.

Short, fat and slow often does the trick...45ACP
acaton

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Good take here...

On Tuesday, an apparent Islamist terrorist rammed a truck into dozens of Americans on a bike path in New York City, killing eight and injuring over ten. He popped out of the truck shouting “Allahu Akhbar” before being captured by police.

Imagine that a white supremacist had driven a truck onto a bike path filled with minority innocents, killing eight of them. Imagine that the white supremacist had emerged from his truck carrying aloft a Confederate flag.

Imagine that the media had leapt to the defense of those flying the Confederate flag, explaining that only a tiny minority of those who did so had engaged in any sort of racist violence. Imagine that all of America’s major political leaders said the same, and told those who connected the terrorism with the Confederate flag that their viewpoints represented bigotry. Imagine, too, that CNN ran a chyron reading “WITNESSES: SUSPECT WAS CARRYING SOUTHERN VERSION OF AMERICAN FLAG,” and then hosted panels assuring audiences that the Confederate flag was simply a symbol of Southern pride.

Hard to imagine, isn’t it?

Yet that was precisely the chain of events that took place after yet another Islamist terror attack on American soil. Leftist media darling and terrorist-sympathizer Linda Sarsour tweeted, “Every believing Muslim says Allahu Akbar every day during prayers. We cannot criminalize ‘God is great.’ Prosecute the criminal not a faith.” The media did its typical rush to prevent cruel Americans from engaging in “Islamophobia,” expressing that radical Islamic terrorism had no connection to actual Islam. Most of America’s political leaders quickly agreed. CNN ran a chyron reading, “WITNESSES: SUSPECT WAS YELLING ‘GOD IS GREAT’ IN ARABIC.”

Precisely the reverse takes place after white supremacist terror attacks, of course. When white supremacist Dylann Storm Roof committed a massive terror attack on a black church, the media quickly uncovered photos of him with a Confederate flag, and led a month-long discussion on whether the Confederate flag ought to be banned from public places. When a white supremacist in Charlottesville murdered an innocent woman, the media held a month-long discussion on whether Confederate statues ought to be removed. This week, a Latino interest group ran an ad attempting to connect a Republican gubernatorial candidate with a white supremacist march he had openly condemned, and created an ad showing a Confederate flag-flying white supremacist with that candidate’s bumper sticker attempting to run down minority children.

Now, we can have solid discussions about Confederate monuments and the Confederate flag. Those discussions are worthwhile. But why is that we leap to discuss those issues when a white supremacist terrorist kills innocents, but we leap to defend Islam when an Islamist kills innocents? Why the difference? Isn’t radical Islam just as horrifying as white supremacism? And isn’t white supremacism just as statistically non-representative of Confederate flag-owners throughout the South as radical Islam is of observant Muslims across the country?

The answer lies in a serious problem of bias. The media believe that Americans, by and large, are racist Islamophobes. They are the problem. They’re the problem if perpetrators are Muslim, in which case the backlash from non-Muslim Americans must be pre-emptively curbed; they’re the problem if the perpetrators are white supremacists, in which case Americans must answer for their supposed connections to white supremacism.

That’s nonsense. If we’re going to start attributing terrorist ideologies to broader movements, we’re going to have to abide by that rule across the board; if, by contrast, we’re going to distinguish terrorist ideologies from other ideologies, let’s do that across the board. But you can’t connect white supremacism to Ed Gillespie and Confederate flag-owners while adamantly disconnecting Islamism from Islam. That’s intellectually dishonest. Actually, it's disparaging of non-Muslim Americans more generally, unless there’s a deeper connection between white supremacism and Confederate flag-owning or conservative voting than there is between Islamism and Islam. Which there isn’t.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:27 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Good take here...

Imagine that the media had leapt to the defense of those flying the Confederate flag, explaining that only a tiny minority of those who did so had engaged in any sort of racist violence. Imagine that all of America’s major political leaders said the same, and told those who connected the terrorism with the Confederate flag that their viewpoints represented bigotry. Imagine, too, that CNN ran a chyron reading “WITNESSES: SUSPECT WAS CARRYING SOUTHERN VERSION OF AMERICAN FLAG,” and then hosted panels assuring audiences that the Confederate flag was simply a symbol of Southern pride.

Hard to imagine, isn’t it?

Yes. Very hard to imagine exactly what happened in Charlottesville. Very good take.
NYBF

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:37 pm

There were very bad people on both sides...
bucfanclw

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:47 pm

bucfanclw wrote:There were very bad people on both sides...

You can say that again. 100 correct.
Brazen331

Postby NYBF » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:57 am

"Random" shooting in a Colorado Walmart: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/01/th ... g-walmart/
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:00 am

NYBF wrote:"Random" shooting in a Colorado Walmart: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/01/th ... g-walmart/

This is why I carry.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:02 am

NYBF wrote:"Random" shooting in a Colorado Walmart: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/01/th ... g-walmart/

This is why I don't shop at walmart
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:40 am

TIME FOR EVEN MORE EXTRE...

*looks at picture of suspect*

Don't you try to politicize this tragedy! This is a time to mourn the victims.
bucfanclw

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion