Random terrorism news

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random terrorism news

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Well at least we finally have some proof that people are trying to pay protestors.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby SDBucs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:32 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
SDBucs wrote:Gotta shift the scope away.

Wikileaks exposes a ton? Ignore the content and shift the focus onto Russia causing the leaks.
Veritas exposes these people and intentions? Ignore what they said and go after Veritas for how they got them to say it.

It's never about what was said or done, it always shifts to how that information was acquired. How to distract the public101

Enemy of the State, good movie, check it out sometime.

Caught on camera offering to pay to incite violence is many times worse than a heavily edited video of guys at a bar joking about a stink bomb. Seriously, is it even possible for you to feel victimized more than you do?

Victimized? Jesus **** you've gotten dumber and dumber.

How does any of this make ME a victim? I think anyone with a brain could reasonably expect some sort of disruption especially after seeing everything the lefts pulled these last months. The fact that there have been people video taped plotting these kinds of disruption should be a cause for concern with just about anyone who actually gives a damn about other people.

They made offers to incite violence to film a reaction from the offerees. That's a shitty way of operating but it does not make these recent and past veritas videos fake. Don't see how that concept can possibly be confusing to anybody.

How about you give a nice explanation of where the editing is and how it changes perception of one of these veritas videos? Or are you just reciting what snopes or whoever told you?
SDBucs

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:47 pm

It'll be ok SD. You can stay in your little safe space. Nobody is going to threaten your life with a scary stink bomb.
bucfanclw

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

That crash in Thailand gave him brain damage.

Only explanation.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:09 pm

bucfanclw wrote:It'll be ok SD. You can stay in your little safe space. Nobody is going to threaten your life with a scary stink bomb.

Speaking of safe places...

A Georgetown University student group is encouraging its members to “embrace the inner child” after a stressful Inauguration week with stuffed animals, juice boxes, and Legos. GUPride, a university-recognized student group for LGBTQ students and their allies, will be hosting a “Self-Care Night” on January 23 for members who spent too much time or energy on Inaugural activities.

This country is so fucked when their generation takes over. On the bright side, I'll be an old man and they'll make sure I'm taken well care of...until China or Russia takes over that is.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby SDBucs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 pm

bucfanclw wrote:It'll be ok SD. You can stay in your little safe space. Nobody is going to threaten your life with a scary stink bomb.

I mean holy ****

This is what you revert to?

Hahahahaha
SDBucs

Postby SDBucs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Buc2 wrote:

A Georgetown University student group is encouraging its members to “embrace the inner child” after a stressful Inauguration week with stuffed animals, juice boxes, and Legos. GUPride, a university-recognized student group for LGBTQ students and their allies, will be hosting a “Self-Care Night” on January 23 for members who spent too much time or energy on Inaugural activities.

This country is so fucked when their generation takes over. On the bright side, I'll be an old man and they'll make sure I'm taken well care of...until China or Russia takes over that is.

God I hate this.

Kids at my school threw feces at Milo because he preaches "hate speech" and is a "facist". Like **** my generation.

And a lot of it stems from cultural marxism taught in schools. Cultural marxism and leftist media control throughout this generations years growing up.

We're seeing a generation that's been created by the left
SDBucs

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 am

SDBucs wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Speaking of safe places...

God I hate this.

Kids at my school threw feces at Milo because he preaches "hate speech" and is a "facist". Like **** my generation.

And a lot of it stems from cultural marxism taught in schools. Cultural marxism and leftist media control throughout this generations years growing up.

We're seeing a generation that's been created by the left

how old are you SD, and when did you graduate college?
beardmcdoug

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:59 am

Buc2 wrote:

wow that GU **** is an absolute embarrassment and speaks volumes about the generation raised by baby boomers. it's almost as if these are bunch of half-formed people with half-formed convictions. It's almost as if they weren't taught how to be adults - it's almost like they've been raised to be narcissists. it's almost as if these kids were raised by a bunch of people that history will call "the Me generation"

curious if you caught The Generational Imperative that aired on PBS a couple weeks ago

http://www.genimperative.com/AmericasGenerations.html

I'd just like to remind you that boomers will be running the show until about 2030, then Gen X'ers until about 2040.

2050 will be so far from what we're living right now, you won't be able to tell what "fucked" is

thanks for the 2017 GU safe-space-needing citizens though. the 10-20% of us that aren't complete **** ups will work extra hard to fix the mess your generation created
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Speaking of safe places...

wow that GU **** is an absolute embarrassment and speaks volumes about the generation raised by baby boomers. it's almost as if these are bunch of half-formed people with half-formed convictions. It's almost as if they weren't taught how to be adults - it's almost like they've been raised to be narcissists. it's almost as if these kids were raised by a bunch of people that history will call "the Me generation"

curious if you caught The Generational Imperative that aired on PBS a couple weeks ago

I'd just like to remind you that boomers will be running the show until about 2030, then Gen X'ers until about 2040.

2050 will be so far from what we're living right now, you won't be able to tell what "fucked" is

thanks for the 2017 GU safe-space-needing citizens though. the 10-20% of us that aren't complete **** ups will work extra hard to fix the mess 10-20% of your generation created

Fixed
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:15 am

Buc2 wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

thanks for the 2017 GU safe-space-needing citizens though. the 10-20% of us that aren't complete **** ups will work extra hard to fix the mess 10-20% of your generation created

Fixed

Only 10-20% of Boomers raised their kids that way? how is the degeneracy so rampant these days then? if only 10-20% of your generation raised their kids like that, then only 10-20% of the current population is fucked up, and therefore this is a non-issue, and things like this GU thing are a minuscule part of society that gets a disproportionate amount of coverage and we've got nothing to worry about

but if you insist still; how could 10-20% of the population cause this problem that infects 80-90% of the current population? are you saying that it was the top 10%-20% b-b-bad guys that control everything that ruined society. you're not seriously asking me to buy that, over a 50 year span, the citizens of this country are absolved of electing the politicians they did, and supporting the subsequent legislation they enacted, are you?

if the children were "stolen" from you by the 10-20%, sorry that's still a deficiency on your part. your kids were susceptible and were not instilled with the proper tools to go forth confidently into society. I wonder what could have caused that? could it be the dissolving household structure? could it be that we were raised by parents with a 50% chance of being divorced? could it be that this generation was raise more by their daycare attendants than their own parents? could it be the 5 hours average of TV the parents watch instead of bonding with their children and teaching them how to *be*?

sorry, your whole generation fucked up, you just didn't realize how bad until you see the results

"but its the kids' faults they turned out that way", "10% of my generation was bad and they fucked up 90% of our kids somehow"

LMFAO good one my man

YA'LL were the TV generation
YA'LL were the "I'm special, protest everything" generation
YA'LL were the generation with the clean slate and infinite opportunities
YA'LL were the ones who glorified wall street
YA'LL were the generation of decadence
YA'LL were the ones that made this bed

now ya'll have to sleep in it
beardmcdoug

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 am

Yep. There was NEVER any of this liberal protesting during the Baby Boomer's generation.

bucfanclw

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:55 am

bucfanclw

Postby deltbucs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Ouch...
deltbucs

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:29 pm

bucfanclw wrote:Yep. There was NEVER any of this liberal protesting during the Baby Boomer's generation.

Who said there wasn't? Btw...the Boomer's in those pics are the 10-20% I was talking about.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:57 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Fixed

Only 10-20% of Boomers raised their kids that way? how is the degeneracy so rampant these days then? if only 10-20% of your generation raised their kids like that, then only 10-20% of the current population is fucked up, and therefore this is a non-issue, and things like this GU thing are a minuscule part of society that gets a disproportionate amount of coverage and we've got nothing to worry about

but if you insist still; how could 10-20% of the population cause this problem that infects 80-90% of the current population? are you saying that it was the top 10%-20% b-b-bad guys that control everything that ruined society. you're not seriously asking me to buy that, over a 50 year span, the citizens of this country are absolved of electing the politicians they did, and supporting the subsequent legislation they enacted, are you?

if the children were "stolen" from you by the 10-20%, sorry that's still a deficiency on your part. your kids were susceptible and were not instilled with the proper tools to go forth confidently into society. I wonder what could have caused that? could it be the dissolving household structure? could it be that we were raised by parents with a 50% chance of being divorced? could it be that this generation was raise more by their daycare attendants than their own parents? could it be the 5 hours average of TV the parents watch instead of bonding with their children and teaching them how to *be*?

sorry, your whole generation fucked up, you just didn't realize how bad until you see the results

"but its the kids' faults they turned out that way", "10% of my generation was bad and they fucked up 90% of our kids somehow"

LMFAO good one my man

YA'LL were the TV generation
YA'LL were the "I'm special, protest everything" generation
YA'LL were the generation with the clean slate and infinite opportunities
YA'LL were the ones who glorified wall street
YA'LL were the generation of decadence
YA'LL were the ones that made this bed

now ya'll have to sleep in it

Buc2 wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Yep. There was NEVER any of this liberal protesting during the Baby Boomer's generation.

Who said there wasn't? Btw...the Boomer's in those pics are the 10-20% I was talking about.

That's it, Buc2?
beardmcdoug

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Quebec City mosque attack suspect known for right-wing online posts

The suspect in the deadly attack on a Quebec City mosque was known in the city’s activist circles as a right-wing troll who frequently took anti-foreigner and anti-feminist positions and stood up for U.S. President Donald Trump.

Alexandre Bissonnette, 27, a student at Laval University who lived on a quiet crescent in the Cap-Rouge suburb of Quebec City, faces six counts of first-degree murder for a shooting that killed six people and wounded 19 others. Police initially arrested a person they considered a second suspect but they later backtracked, saying he was a witness.

Mr. Bissonnette’s online profile and school friendships revealed little interest in extremist politics until last March when French nationalist leader Marine Le Pen visited Quebec City and inspired Mr. Bissonnette to vocal extreme online activism, according to people who clashed with him.

Vincent Boissoneault, a student in international relations at Laval University, grew up with Mr. Bissonnette and was friends with him on Facebook. He said they frequently clashed on politics when Mr. Bissonnette attacked refugees or expressed support for Ms. Le Pen or Mr. Trump.

“I can tell you he was certainly no Muslim convert. I wrote him off as a xenophobe. I didn’t even think of him as totally racist, but he was enthralled by a borderline racist nationalist movement,” Mr. Boissoneault said.

François Deschamps, an employment councillor who runs a refugee support Facebook page, said he immediately recognized Mr. Bissonnette’s photo. “He was someone who made frequent extreme comments in social media denigrating refugees and feminism. It wasn’t outright hate, rather part of this new nationalist conservative identity movement that is more intolerant than hateful.”

Mr. Bissonnette’s Facebook profile was removed from public view Monday morning along with the comments he left behind. Before Ms. Le Pen’s visit, Mr. Bissonnette’s friends say he showed little interest in politics, despite studying the subject at Laval University.

Former classmates from the CEGEP junior college he attended after high school described him as a quiet, unassuming guy who blended in. “It’s scary that this would happen here,” said one of the friends, Antoine Cabanac.

Michel Kingma-Lord, who grew up with Mr. Bissonnette, said he was “shocked” by the news that his erstwhile friend was suspected in a mass shooting. The two had grown apart in recent years, but spent many happy hours collecting minerals together as boys, scouring the schoolyard for bits of quartz.

“He was a really good guy,” said Mr. Kingma-Lord. “A very generous kind of guy, always listening, polite.”

Mr. Bissonnette studied political science, Mr. Kingma-Lord said, but seemed more interested in the campus chess club than any kind of ideology. “He never posted anything about hate speech,” Mr. Kingma-Lord said. “He wouldn’t share any political ideology. When we talked, it was just normal talk.”

Acquaintances from Mr. Bissonnette’s earlier years at Les Compagnons-de-Cartier high school in Quebec City say he was introverted, socially awkward and frequently bullied. Toma Popescu remembered bigger kids teasing Mr. Bissonnette for his slight, pallid appearance and his unfashionable clothing. “He dressed like a country boy,” Mr. Popescu said.

The bullies who targeted Mr. Bissonnette would demand his money and his lunch, even roughing him up, Mr. Popescu added. But Mikael Labrecque Berger said that Mr. Bissonnette wasn’t cowed by his social problems at school.

“He never seemed to take it like personally,” Mr. Berger. “He had an almost happy attitude about it.”

“Someone [would] tell him, ‘You’re ugly,’ and he would say, ‘You too are ugly.’”

Before it was removed, Mr. Bissonnette’s Facebook page revealed normal preoccupations of young adulthood. While he “liked” the page of Ms. Le Pen and other right-wing politicians, he also liked Garfield and pop stars such as Katy Perry.

On Halloween, he posted a picture of himself in a screaming ghoul costume – first popularized by the Scream horror-movie franchise. “Nothing original but it’s a classic,” he wrote.

He also posted a photo of himself wearing what appeared to be a cadet uniform several years ago. A spokesman for the Canadian Forces confirmed that Mr. Bissonnette had participated in the cadet program from 2002 to 2004 in the Quebec City area.

Records show he bought a Chevy Malibu with his twin brother, Mathieu, in 2011. They were also chess-club teammates around that time.

Police searched a house belonging to Mr. Bissonnette’s father, Raymond Bissonnette, on Monday morning. The address showed up on several traffic tickets issued to Alexandre Bissonnette in recent years.

Police say the suspect was not on their radar before the attack. A court records search shows no other involvement with police other than traffic tickets.

With reports from Verity Stevenson and Sean Gordon in Quebec City, Colin Freeze and Tu Thanh Ha in Toronto, and Daniel Leblanc in Ottawa and The Canadian Press.

Lets call this what it is: Right Wing Extremist Terrorism
Corsair

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Corsair wrote:
Quebec City mosque attack suspect known for right-wing online posts

The suspect in the deadly attack on a Quebec City mosque was known in the city’s activist circles as a right-wing troll who frequently took anti-foreigner and anti-feminist positions and stood up for U.S. President Donald Trump.

Alexandre Bissonnette, 27, a student at Laval University who lived on a quiet crescent in the Cap-Rouge suburb of Quebec City, faces six counts of first-degree murder for a shooting that killed six people and wounded 19 others. Police initially arrested a person they considered a second suspect but they later backtracked, saying he was a witness.

Mr. Bissonnette’s online profile and school friendships revealed little interest in extremist politics until last March when French nationalist leader Marine Le Pen visited Quebec City and inspired Mr. Bissonnette to vocal extreme online activism, according to people who clashed with him.

Vincent Boissoneault, a student in international relations at Laval University, grew up with Mr. Bissonnette and was friends with him on Facebook. He said they frequently clashed on politics when Mr. Bissonnette attacked refugees or expressed support for Ms. Le Pen or Mr. Trump.

“I can tell you he was certainly no Muslim convert. I wrote him off as a xenophobe. I didn’t even think of him as totally racist, but he was enthralled by a borderline racist nationalist movement,” Mr. Boissoneault said.

François Deschamps, an employment councillor who runs a refugee support Facebook page, said he immediately recognized Mr. Bissonnette’s photo. “He was someone who made frequent extreme comments in social media denigrating refugees and feminism. It wasn’t outright hate, rather part of this new nationalist conservative identity movement that is more intolerant than hateful.”

Mr. Bissonnette’s Facebook profile was removed from public view Monday morning along with the comments he left behind. Before Ms. Le Pen’s visit, Mr. Bissonnette’s friends say he showed little interest in politics, despite studying the subject at Laval University.

Former classmates from the CEGEP junior college he attended after high school described him as a quiet, unassuming guy who blended in. “It’s scary that this would happen here,” said one of the friends, Antoine Cabanac.

Michel Kingma-Lord, who grew up with Mr. Bissonnette, said he was “shocked” by the news that his erstwhile friend was suspected in a mass shooting. The two had grown apart in recent years, but spent many happy hours collecting minerals together as boys, scouring the schoolyard for bits of quartz.

“He was a really good guy,” said Mr. Kingma-Lord. “A very generous kind of guy, always listening, polite.”

Mr. Bissonnette studied political science, Mr. Kingma-Lord said, but seemed more interested in the campus chess club than any kind of ideology. “He never posted anything about hate speech,” Mr. Kingma-Lord said. “He wouldn’t share any political ideology. When we talked, it was just normal talk.”

Acquaintances from Mr. Bissonnette’s earlier years at Les Compagnons-de-Cartier high school in Quebec City say he was introverted, socially awkward and frequently bullied. Toma Popescu remembered bigger kids teasing Mr. Bissonnette for his slight, pallid appearance and his unfashionable clothing. “He dressed like a country boy,” Mr. Popescu said.

The bullies who targeted Mr. Bissonnette would demand his money and his lunch, even roughing him up, Mr. Popescu added. But Mikael Labrecque Berger said that Mr. Bissonnette wasn’t cowed by his social problems at school.

“He never seemed to take it like personally,” Mr. Berger. “He had an almost happy attitude about it.”

“Someone [would] tell him, ‘You’re ugly,’ and he would say, ‘You too are ugly.’”

Before it was removed, Mr. Bissonnette’s Facebook page revealed normal preoccupations of young adulthood. While he “liked” the page of Ms. Le Pen and other right-wing politicians, he also liked Garfield and pop stars such as Katy Perry.

On Halloween, he posted a picture of himself in a screaming ghoul costume – first popularized by the Scream horror-movie franchise. “Nothing original but it’s a classic,” he wrote.

He also posted a photo of himself wearing what appeared to be a cadet uniform several years ago. A spokesman for the Canadian Forces confirmed that Mr. Bissonnette had participated in the cadet program from 2002 to 2004 in the Quebec City area.

Records show he bought a Chevy Malibu with his twin brother, Mathieu, in 2011. They were also chess-club teammates around that time.

Police searched a house belonging to Mr. Bissonnette’s father, Raymond Bissonnette, on Monday morning. The address showed up on several traffic tickets issued to Alexandre Bissonnette in recent years.

Police say the suspect was not on their radar before the attack. A court records search shows no other involvement with police other than traffic tickets.

With reports from Verity Stevenson and Sean Gordon in Quebec City, Colin Freeze and Tu Thanh Ha in Toronto, and Daniel Leblanc in Ottawa and The Canadian Press.

Lets call this what it is: Right Wing Extremist Terrorism

It is Right Wing Extremist Terrorism. This guy has an ideology that is dangerous. Sad that he wasn't stopped before he turned violent physically.
Ken Carson

Postby NYBF » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Anybody heard from the brain damaged kid?
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:01 pm

NYBF wrote:Anybody heard from the brain damaged kid?

He disappeared after I suggested he is drawing disability for his injuries.

Maybe I hit the mark.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:31 am

So you all know about that poorly planned Yemen raid that got one of our Navy SEALs killed? Apparently the target was Al Queda leader Qassim Al-Rimi, who has now taken to taunting Trump as "the fool in the White House". I, for one, feel safer already.
bucfanclw

Postby NYBF » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:41 am

bucfanclw wrote:So you all know about that poorly planned Yemen raid that got one of our Navy SEALs killed? Apparently the target was Al Queda leader Qassim Al-Rimi, who has now taken to taunting Trump as "the fool in the White House". I, for one, feel safer already.

The one that killed an 8 year old American girl?
NYBF

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:47 am

bucfanclw wrote:So you all know about that poorly planned Yemen raid that got one of our Navy SEALs killed? Apparently the target was Al Queda leader Qassim Al-Rimi, who has now taken to taunting Trump as "the fool in the White House". I, for one, feel safer already.

I can assure you that Trump had very little to do with the planning or execution of the raid. He has been targeted in the past, too.
uscbucsfan

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:47 am

NYBF wrote:

The same. Considering all the outrage about Benghazi, I'm sure we'll see the same reaction coming from the right soon.

Any day now....
bucfanclw

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 am

uscbucsfan wrote:

I can assure you that Trump had very little to do with the planning or execution of the raid. He has been targeted in the past, too.

Oh I know. President Bannon would never leave such a big decision in Trump's hands.
bucfanclw

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:51 am

bucfanclw wrote:
NYBF wrote:

The same. Considering all the outrage about Benghazi, I'm sure we'll see the same reaction coming from the right soon.

Any day now....

The rest of her family was killed by a drone piloted directly by Obama. I'm sure Trump was just trying to clean up the mess...
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:52 am

bucfanclw wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Oh I know. President Bannon would never leave such a big decision in Trump's hands.

lol.

Probably some truth there.
uscbucsfan

Postby deltbucs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:56 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:The same. Considering all the outrage about Benghazi, I'm sure we'll see the same reaction coming from the right soon.

Any day now....

The rest of her family was killed by a drone piloted directly by Obama. I'm sure Trump was just trying to clean up the mess...

'Merica! **** Yeah!!
deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:56 pm

deltbucs

Postby Corsair » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Yemen Withdraws Permission for U.S. Antiterror Ground Missions
By DAVID E. SANGER and ERIC SCHMITTFEB. 7, 2017

WASHINGTON — Angry at the civilian casualties incurred last month in the first commando raid authorized by President Trump, Yemen has withdrawn permission for the United States to run Special Operations ground missions against suspected terrorist groups in the country, according to American officials.

Grisly photographs of children apparently killed in the crossfire of a 50-minute firefight during the raid caused outrage in Yemen. A member of the Navy’s SEAL Team 6, Chief Petty Officer William Owens, was also killed in the operation.

While the White House continues to insist that the attack was a “success” — a characterization it repeated on Tuesday — the suspension of commando operations is a setback for Mr. Trump, who has made it clear he plans to take a far more aggressive approach against Islamic militants.

It also calls into question whether the Pentagon will receive permission from the president for far more autonomy in selecting and executing its counterterrorism missions in Yemen, which it sought, unsuccessfully, from President Barack Obama in the last months of his term.
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

U.S. Commando Killed in Yemen in Trump’s First Counterterrorism Operation JAN. 29, 2017
Jim Mattis Seeks to Soothe Tensions in Japan and South Korea FEB. 5, 2017

Mr. Obama deferred the decision to Mr. Trump, who appeared inclined to grant it: His approval of the Jan. 29 raid came over a dinner four nights earlier with his top national security aides, rather than in the kind of rigorous review in the Situation Room that became fairly routine under President George W. Bush and Mr. Obama.

The raid, in which just about everything went wrong, was an early test of Mr. Trump’s national security decision-making — and his willingness to rely on the assurances of his military advisers. His aides say that even though the decision was made over a dinner, it had been fully vetted, and had the requisite legal approvals.

Mr. Trump will soon have to make a decision about the more general request by the Pentagon to allow more of such operations in Yemen without detailed, and often time-consuming, White House review. It is unclear whether Mr. Trump will allow that, or how the series of mishaps that marked his first approval of such an operation may have altered his thinking about the human and political risks of similar operations.

The Pentagon has said that the main objective of the raid was to recover laptop computers, cellphones and other information that could help fill gaps in its understanding of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, whose leaders have tried to carry out at least three attacks on the United States. But it is unclear whether the information the commandos recovered will prove valuable.

The White House continued its defense of the raid on Tuesday, making no reference to the Yemeni reaction.

Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, denied reports that the purpose of the attack was to capture or kill any specific Qaeda leader. “The raid that was conducted in Yemen was an intelligence-gathering raid,” he said. “That’s what it was. It was highly successful. It achieved the purpose it was going to get, save the loss of life that we suffered and the injuries that occurred.”

Neither the White House nor the Yemenis have publicly announced the suspension. Pentagon spokesmen declined to comment, but other military and civilian officials confirmed that Yemen’s reaction had been strong.

It was unclear if Yemen’s decision to halt the ground attacks was also influenced by Mr. Trump’s inclusion of the country on his list of nations from which he wants to temporarily suspend all immigration, an executive order that is now being challenged in the federal courts.

According to American civilian and military officials, the Yemeni ban on operations does not extend to military drone attacks, and does not affect the handful of American military advisers who are providing intelligence support to the Yemenis and forces from the United Arab Emirates.

In 2014, Yemen’s government temporarily halted those drones from flying because of botched operations that also killed civilians. But later they quietly resumed, and in recent years they have been increasing in frequency, a sign of the fact that Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, is considered one of the world’s most dangerous terrorist groups.

The raid stirred immediate outrage among Yemeni government officials, some of whom accused the Trump administration of not fully consulting with them before the mission. Within 24 hours of the assault on a cluster of houses in a tiny village in mountainous central Yemen, the country’s foreign minister, Abdul Malik Al Mekhlafi, condemned the raid in a post on his official Twitter account as “extrajudicial killings.”

In an interview with Al Jazeera this week, Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak, Yemen’s ambassador to the United States, said that President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi raised concerns about the raid in a meeting with the American ambassador to Yemen in Riyadh on Feb. 2.

“Yemen’s government is a key partner in the war against terrorism,” Mr. Mubarak said in the interview, adding that Yemen’s cooperation should not come “at the expense of the Yemeni citizens and the country’s sovereignty.”

The Pentagon has acknowledged that the raid killed several civilians, including children, and is investigating. The dead include, by the account of relatives, the 8-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki, the American-born Qaeda leader who was killed in a targeted drone strike in 2011.

In a sign of the contentiousness that public disclosures of the raid have caused, Pentagon officials on Tuesday provided lawmakers on Capitol Hill with a classified briefing on the mission. One participant in that meeting said military officials told them “they got what they wanted,” without offering details. But Senator John McCain of Arizona, chairman of the Armed Services Committee, said afterward that the raid was a failure.

American counterterrorism officials have expressed growing fears about their lack of understanding of Qaeda operations in Yemen since the United States was forced to withdraw the last 125 Special Operations advisers from the country in March 2015 after Houthi rebels ousted the government of President Hadi, the Americans’ main counterterrorism partner.

The Pentagon has tried to start rebuilding its counterterrorism operations in Yemen since then. Last May, American Special Operations forces helped Yemeni and Emirati troops evict Qaeda fighters from the port city of Al Mukalla.

Al Qaeda had used Al Mukalla as a base as the militants stormed through southern Yemen, capitalizing on the power vacuum caused by the country’s 14-month civil war and seizing territory, weapons and money.

The deadly raid last month, launched from an amphibious assault ship off the Yemeni coast, was the first known American-led ground mission in Yemen since December 2014, when members of SEAL Team 6 stormed a village in southern Yemen in an effort to free an American photojournalist held hostage by Al Qaeda. But the raid ended with the kidnappers killing the journalist and a South African held with him.

The United States conducted 38 drone strikes in Yemen last year, up from 23 in 2014, and has already carried out five strikes so far this year, according to the Foundation for Defense of Democracies’ Long War Journal.

In response to the raid, Al Qaeda’s branch in Yemen urged followers last weekend to attack the United States and its allies in the country.

Qasim al-Raymi, the leader of the Qaeda offshoot, likened his fighters to extremists battling American forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a speech translated by SITE Intelligence Group, which tracks extremist activities and messaging.

Specialists in Yemeni culture and politics have cautioned that Al Qaeda would seize on the raid to whip up anti-American feelings and attract more followers.

“The use of U.S. soldiers, high civilian casualties and disregard for local tribal and political dynamics,” the Brussels-based International Crisis Group said in a report released last Thursday, “plays into AQAP’s narrative of defending Muslims against the West and could increase anti-U.S. sentiment and with it AQAP’s pool of recruits.”

Mission accomplished?
Corsair

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion