Police Brutality in the US

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:51 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I caught this story on the news here

I’m betting there’s much more to the story then shecwent onto the wrong apt





———

Edit - just read an update, they are getting a warrant and are going to charge her with manslaughter


I know some officers on the force with her. Quietly they’re saying it’s murder. Her blood alcohol level was insane. You’re right that there is more to it and I’m hoping it all comes out.


If this was really a random encounter it still sounds like manslaughter even if she was drunk.

She's responsible and will go to jail.

I think it's a stretch to call this police brutality given what I've read. But I guess it fits a narrative. Too bad it wasn't a white male cop actually on duty, that wouldn've been a really juicy headline amirite?
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13786
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 598 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:48 pm

Dread, I don’t know if you meant that last comment for me, but this is a crime regardless of race. A cop walked into a man’s home and shot him dead. That’s the headline.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9012
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Dread, I don’t know if you meant that last comment for me, but this is a crime regardless of race. A cop walked into a man’s home and shot him dead. That’s the headline.


Off-duty cop.

The first part of post about it being manslaughter was in response to you.

Not the rest, so my bad if it came across that way.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13786
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 598 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby NYBF » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:27 am

I put the story in this thread because she was a cop, in uniform, who killed someone for no reason.

Was it also you who had a problem with me putting a school shooting in the mass shooting thread because "only" 1 person died?

To make you, and those like you, happy, I'm going to start a new thread for every jackass who commits a crime with a gun. This way maybe you won't get a yeast infection from your wadded up panties.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 6457
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby HamBone » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:54 pm

NYBF wrote:I put the story in this thread because she was a cop, in uniform, who killed someone for no reason.

Was it also you who had a problem with me putting a school shooting in the mass shooting thread because "only" 1 person died?

To make you, and those like you, happy, I'm going to start a new thread for every jackass who commits a crime with a gun. This way maybe you won't get a yeast infection from your wadded up panties.


So, in response to someone having their panties in a wad....you’re gonna act like a petulant child? Bravo...
User avatar
HamBone
 
Posts: 2371
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 am

so more detail has come out in the dallas shooting (obviously most of this is from the perspective of the officer as the victim is dead)

-The guy who got killed lived directly above the apartment of the female officer. (so think something like apt 407, instead of 307)
-The officer parked on the wrong floor of the parking garage
-The officer has lived there for only a month
-The door was unlocked so when the officer put her key in (which fit - but obviously wouldn't turn the locking hinge if the door was locked) and turned the handle it opened
-As soon as she shot the guy, she turned on the lights and called 911...that's when the penny dropped as to her being in the wrong apartment
-They released the 911 tape and on it she is crying as she realized she shot the guy whose apartment it was
-She has been charged with manslaughter and is out on $300K bond



To me it looks like an accident. That she truly thought she was in her apartment and someone broke in.....so the manslaughter charge seems appropriate. I don't see anything that leads me to think this is a revenge killing, a targeting, a racist attack, etc.

I'm sure more details will continue breaking on this as the Rangers continue their investigation.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:14 am

NYBF wrote:I put the story in this thread because she was a cop, in uniform, who killed someone for no reason.

Was it also you who had a problem with me putting a school shooting in the mass shooting thread because "only" 1 person died?

To make you, and those like you, happy, I'm going to start a new thread for every jackass who commits a crime with a gun. This way maybe you won't get a yeast infection from your wadded up panties.


You're right, I was a bit uptight there. I'm a bit defensive of LE in todays culture since it seems people go out of their way at times to paint any situation as negative as possible. Plus my Gators had just lost to Kentucky for the first time in 30 years and I was a bit tipsy, so my panties were certainly in a wad when I made that post and I projected some frustration.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13786
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 598 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:32 am

Zarniwoop wrote:so more detail has come out in the dallas shooting (obviously most of this is from the perspective of the officer as the victim is dead)

-The guy who got killed lived directly above the apartment of the female officer. (so think something like apt 407, instead of 307)
-The officer parked on the wrong floor of the parking garage
-The officer has lived there for only a month
-The door was unlocked so when the officer put her key in (which fit - but obviously wouldn't turn the locking hinge if the door was locked) and turned the handle it opened
-As soon as she shot the guy, she turned on the lights and called 911...that's when the penny dropped as to her being in the wrong apartment
-They released the 911 tape and on it she is crying as she realized she shot the guy whose apartment it was
-She has been charged with manslaughter and is out on $300K bond



To me it looks like an accident. That she truly thought she was in her apartment and someone broke in.....so the manslaughter charge seems appropriate. I don't see anything that leads me to think this is a revenge killing, a targeting, a racist attack, etc.

I'm sure more details will continue breaking on this as the Rangers continue their investigation.


Some of that is a lie. One of my colleagues lived in that complex a few months ago. The locks are electronic and only open for the fob assigned to that apartment. According to several neighbors there she was banging on the door before he opened it.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9012
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:34 am

Image
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9012
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:37 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Some of that is a lie. One of my colleagues lived in that complex a few months ago. The locks are electronic and only open for the fob assigned to that apartment. According to several neighbors there she was banging on the door before he opened it.



That could be, I'm just reporting what I heard on the radio this morning.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby NYBF » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 am

DreadNaught wrote:
NYBF wrote:I put the story in this thread because she was a cop, in uniform, who killed someone for no reason.

Was it also you who had a problem with me putting a school shooting in the mass shooting thread because "only" 1 person died?

To make you, and those like you, happy, I'm going to start a new thread for every jackass who commits a crime with a gun. This way maybe you won't get a yeast infection from your wadded up panties.


You're right, I was a bit uptight there. I'm a bit defensive of LE in todays culture since it seems people go out of their way at times to paint any situation as negative as possible. Plus my Gators had just lost to Kentucky for the first time in 30 years and I was a bit tipsy, so my panties were certainly in a wad when I made that post and I projected some frustration.


No worries. I've got friends in every level from town to federal, and the ones posted in these threads make the job much more difficult for the ones who are trying to do right b their community.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 6457
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby NYBF » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45 am

PM - who is that guy?
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 6457
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 am

Mayor
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby NYBF » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Mayor


Wow...
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 6457
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:48 am

Councilman .. my bad
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby NYBF » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 am

Still. For any local politician to go on record with that... that's pretty serious. If he was a reporter or something, that's one thing. But this...
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 6457
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:53 am

NYBF wrote:Still. For any local politician to go on record with that... that's pretty serious. If he was a reporter or something, that's one thing. But this...


Yep. Like I said this is bad. DPD officers are calling this murder. Several councilmen and one rep have told me this is murder, but political bullshit is getting in the way.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9012
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby The Outsider » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:00 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
NYBF wrote:Still. For any local politician to go on record with that... that's pretty serious. If he was a reporter or something, that's one thing. But this...


Yep. Like I said this is bad. DPD officers are calling this murder. Several councilmen and one rep have told me this is murder, but political bullshit is getting in the way.



Gotta love that blue line.

People would be a lot less leery of dealing with cops if they actually policed their own. I think most people understand that there will be **** bags in any large group of people. They just hope those people are held accountable.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4893
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:07 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
NYBF wrote:Still. For any local politician to go on record with that... that's pretty serious. If he was a reporter or something, that's one thing. But this...


Yep. Like I said this is bad. DPD officers are calling this murder. Several councilmen and one rep have told me this is murder, but political bullshit is getting in the way.


I still think Murder would be difficult to prove. I'm not a lawyer, but murder implies a direct intent to kill. It doesn't seem the shooter arrived at the door with any intent, but after being startled and confused (in her drunken state) by some stranger answering what she mistakenly thought was her apartment she reacted with lethal force.

Murder is more when someone pisses you off and shoot them in anger or retaliation. Maybe that happened here, but I haven't read anything to that effect yet.

That said, being drunk and confused isn't a defense for taking a life. She should go to jail for this. It seems like terrible and tragic mistake, but one that requires consequences and justice for the family of the victim here.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13786
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 598 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby deltbucs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:58 am

The Outsider wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Yep. Like I said this is bad. DPD officers are calling this murder. Several councilmen and one rep have told me this is murder, but political bullshit is getting in the way.



Gotta love that blue line.

People would be a lot less leery of dealing with cops if they actually policed their own. I think most people understand that there will be **** bags in any large group of people. They just hope those people are held accountable.

Yep....Accountability is all I ask for. I fully understand that it's a dangerous job and sometimes an unarmed person might be shot and killed for not obeying directions and I'm "ok" with that in some situations. Sometimes that is certainly not the case and officers need to be held accountable for that and any other time that they abuse their authority.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 5401
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 310 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:34 am

deltbucs wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Gotta love that blue line.

People would be a lot less leery of dealing with cops if they actually policed their own. I think most people understand that there will be **** bags in any large group of people. They just hope those people are held accountable.

Yep....Accountability is all I ask for. I fully understand that it's a dangerous job and sometimes an unarmed person might be shot and killed for not obeying directions and I'm "ok" with that in some situations. Sometimes that is certainly not the case and officers need to be held accountable for that and any other time that they abuse their authority.


Insert/replace:

Bankers
Judges
Catholic Priests
Star Athletes
Doctors
Hollywood Elite
Political Elite
And everyone else on planet earth
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: G14 Classified
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 am

I'd like to go on record to say: **** that bitch
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 3484
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 421 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:55 am

RedLeader wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Yep....Accountability is all I ask for. I fully understand that it's a dangerous job and sometimes an unarmed person might be shot and killed for not obeying directions and I'm "ok" with that in some situations. Sometimes that is certainly not the case and officers need to be held accountable for that and any other time that they abuse their authority.


Insert/replace:

Bankers
Judges
Catholic Priests
Star Athletes
Doctors
Hollywood Elite
Political Elite
And everyone else on planet earth



Seriously....can anyone think of a single organization that doesn't go to stupid lengths to protects its "own"?

I can't.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
RedLeader wrote:
Insert/replace:

Bankers
Judges
Catholic Priests
Star Athletes
Doctors
Hollywood Elite
Political Elite
And everyone else on planet earth



Seriously....can anyone think of a single organization that doesn't go to stupid lengths to protects its "own"?

I can't.


How many of those organizations have the legal authority to take a life? Your post is one of the reasons we shouldn’t give officers the benefit of the doubt in these situations.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9012
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:50 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Seriously....can anyone think of a single organization that doesn't go to stupid lengths to protects its "own"?

I can't.


How many of those organizations have the legal authority to take a life? Your post is one of the reasons we shouldn’t give officers the benefit of the doubt in these situations.


Doctors and political elites can take lives/kill people, and all but star athletes can use their power and/or the power of their institution to do major damage in a persons life in effort to protect/cover their own/institution's ass.

In regards to "these situations" (police shootings/brutality) I don't think we should use a broad brush as each is unique and should be viewed accordingly imo. For example this was a drunken off-duty officer shooting an innocent man in his own residence. That situation is clearly different than a LEO pulling someone over and shooting someone b/c of an altercation.

We all want accountability and don't want to see innocent people lose their lives at the hands of LE, and there has been progress made to that end over the past couple years with body cameras and more independent oversight when an (on-duty) OIS occurs.

This women took an innocent life because of her own reckless actions and deserves to face extended jail time. I don't think she intended to kill anyone that night up until she mistakenly thought someone was in her apartment. But that was her mistake and nobody else's and she hopefully will face the legal consequences. Her being a cop actually hurts her if I were a juror since she should've been able to de-escalate the situation (she created) without lethal force.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13786
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 598 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:01 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Seriously....can anyone think of a single organization that doesn't go to stupid lengths to protects its "own"?

I can't.


How many of those organizations have the legal authority to take a life? Your post is one of the reasons we shouldn’t give officers the benefit of the doubt in these situations.


Lol. My post was a generic statement about human nature

Your conclusion from it is all your own
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby deltbucs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:05 am

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
How many of those organizations have the legal authority to take a life? Your post is one of the reasons we shouldn’t give officers the benefit of the doubt in these situations.


Doctors and political elites can take lives/kill people, and all but star athletes can use their power and/or the power of their institution to do major damage in a persons life in effort to protect/cover their own/institution's ass.

In regards to "these situations" (police shootings/brutality) I don't think we should use a broad brush as each is unique and should be viewed accordingly imo. For example this was a drunken off-duty officer shooting an innocent man in his own residence. That situation is clearly different than a LEO pulling someone over and shooting someone b/c of an altercation.

We all want accountability and don't want to see innocent people lose their lives at the hands of LE, and there has been progress made to that end over the past couple years with body cameras and more independent oversight when an (on-duty) OIS occurs.

This women took an innocent life because of her own reckless actions and deserves to face extended jail time. I don't think she intended to kill anyone that night up until she mistakenly thought someone was in her apartment. But that was her mistake and nobody else's and she hopefully will face the legal consequences. Her being a cop actually hurts her if I were a juror since she should've been able to de-escalate the situation (she created) without lethal force.

There is accountability for doctors. And my comment (and Outsider's) weren't about this single incident.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 5401
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 310 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:20 am

deltbucs wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Doctors and political elites can take lives/kill people, and all but star athletes can use their power and/or the power of their institution to do major damage in a persons life in effort to protect/cover their own/institution's ass.

In regards to "these situations" (police shootings/brutality) I don't think we should use a broad brush as each is unique and should be viewed accordingly imo. For example this was a drunken off-duty officer shooting an innocent man in his own residence. That situation is clearly different than a LEO pulling someone over and shooting someone b/c of an altercation.

We all want accountability and don't want to see innocent people lose their lives at the hands of LE, and there has been progress made to that end over the past couple years with body cameras and more independent oversight when an (on-duty) OIS occurs.

This women took an innocent life because of her own reckless actions and deserves to face extended jail time. I don't think she intended to kill anyone that night up until she mistakenly thought someone was in her apartment. But that was her mistake and nobody else's and she hopefully will face the legal consequences. Her being a cop actually hurts her if I were a juror since she should've been able to de-escalate the situation (she created) without lethal force.

There is accountability for doctors. And my comment (and Outsider's) weren't about this single incident.


I was responding to Prime, and never stated their was not accountability for Doctors. :?
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13786
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 598 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 am

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
How many of those organizations have the legal authority to take a life? Your post is one of the reasons we shouldn’t give officers the benefit of the doubt in these situations.


Doctors and political elites can take lives/kill people, and all but star athletes can use their power and/or the power of their institution to do major damage in a persons life in effort to protect/cover their own/institution's ass.

In regards to "these situations" (police shootings/brutality) I don't think we should use a broad brush as each is unique and should be viewed accordingly imo. For example this was a drunken off-duty officer shooting an innocent man in his own residence. That situation is clearly different than a LEO pulling someone over and shooting someone b/c of an altercation.

We all want accountability and don't want to see innocent people lose their lives at the hands of LE, and there has been progress made to that end over the past couple years with body cameras and more independent oversight when an (on-duty) OIS occurs.

This women took an innocent life because of her own reckless actions and deserves to face extended jail time. I don't think she intended to kill anyone that night up until she mistakenly thought someone was in her apartment. But that was her mistake and nobody else's and she hopefully will face the legal consequences. Her being a cop actually hurts her if I were a juror since she should've been able to de-escalate the situation (she created) without lethal force.


You and I agree on the bolded. Also of the organizations listed earlier LE is the only one where an individual can legally unilaterally choose to kill a person. Yes we have made strides in bringing the level of LE accountability to a level commensurate with the power they’re granted.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9012
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Is there anyone who disagrees with the idea that incidents that involve a civilian death should be scrutinized by a neutral third party service? The trouble might be finding impartiality. LEOs want to look out for their own and will sometimes err on the side of allowing brutality to occur. But, the opposite would also occur and officers would be unable to protect their own lives if someone like the NAACP were charged with reviewing those cases.

A major problem here is now we're creating a new branch of government for the purpose of oversight. And, I'd like to think most of us agree that the government is pretty bad at doing whatever task is given to them in an efficient manner.

That said...something obviously needs to be addressed.
User avatar
mightyleemoon
 
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:35 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 190 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beardmcdoug, Ken Carson, Mountaineer Buc, RedLeader and 20 guests