Police Brutality in the US

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Yes.

As soon as the officer saw the man was naked, (no weapon) he switched from his sidearm to his taser. The guy walked right through the taser and kept coming, leaving the officer no other choice. Coulda, woulda, shoulda says he could have went to his baton or fought the man, but I ain't fighting a guy who walks through a taser.

On top of that, the officer was pretty upset after shooting the guy so no jury is going to think this guy was out to shoot a junkie or be Billy Badass on some random guy. Shitty situation, but you can't reasonably ask him to react any different.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Fri May 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Looks justified to me. The officer exhausted all non-lethal options available before firing when he was in clear danger.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:06 pm

I agree with both you guys. Sad situation, but 100% justified.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 am

100% justified. The officer did everything right here. That man walked through a taser AND getting hit by a car. That’s not some guy you want to wrestle in a life and death moment.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:50 pm

A former Texas police officer was found guilty of murder on Tuesday for shooting into a car carrying a group of teenagers, killing a 15-year-old boy.

Roy Oliver, who is white, was found guilty in the death of high school freshman Jordan Edwards, who was black. The teen was in the passenger seat of a car leaving a house party when the officer opened fire in April 2017.

Good job Texas
DreadNaught

Postby PetePierson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Whoa, where is the outrage from the Mesa story? If that were a white cop beating the **** out of a handcuffed minority there would have already been three marches & five plus hashtags.
PetePierson

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm

PetePierson wrote:Whoa, where is the outrage from the Mesa story? If that were a white cop beating the **** out of a handcuffed minority there would have already been three marches & five plus hashtags.

why don't you share the story...i haven't seen it yet
Zarniwoop

Postby PetePierson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:06 pm

PetePierson

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:39 pm

thanks.

that happened a while ago...i think we talked about it here...maybe not?
Zarniwoop

Postby HamBone » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Police brutality should never hinge on the race of the LEO and the victim...when the government abuses it’s power it should be an offense.
HamBone

Postby PetePierson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:thanks.

that happened a while ago...i think we talked about it here...maybe not?

I just saw it on NBC Nightly News this evening but perhaps they were revisiting the story.
PetePierson

Postby PetePierson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:43 pm

HamBone wrote:Police brutality should never hinge on the race of the LEO and the victim...when the government abuses it’s power it should be an offense.

But it does. You're lying to yourself if you think the offending officer was white that this would not have been a constant in the news cycle for weeks.
PetePierson

Postby The Outsider » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Race plays a part in almost every interaction with the police. I've said it here before, I'm much mouthier and douchier to the cops than I would be if my skin were darker.
The Outsider

Postby HamBone » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am

PetePierson wrote:
HamBone wrote:Police brutality should never hinge on the race of the LEO and the victim...when the government abuses it’s power it should be an offense.

But it does. You're lying to yourself if you think the offending officer was white that this would not have been a constant in the news cycle for weeks.

Shouldn’t and don’t are not the same thing...
HamBone

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 am

The Outsider wrote:Race plays a part in almost every interaction with the police. I've said it here before, I'm much mouthier and douchier to the cops than I would be if my skin were darker.

Why?

What is the motivation for anyone to be mouthier and doucier during an interaction with LE? Even if the LE is being an ***hole and overstepping their legal and/or moral authority it's still a stupid decision to get into a pissing match. There is nothing to be gained by being an ***hole with LE even if they deserve it in that specific instance. It only escalates the situation which results in a (more) negative outcome.

Maybe I was just taught different which is to be 1) Present ID upon request/obey commands 2) Short respectful answers 3) Keep my hands visible at all times

My goal with any interaction w/ LE is to make it as brief and cordial as possible. It makes no sense to engage with someone that make my life more difficult via fines, court dates, criminal charges, etc.

Take your medicine and move on with life, if you feel you've been wronged you're MUCH better off pursuing it after that interaction vice challenging the LEO during the interaction.
DreadNaught

Postby PetePierson » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:58 am

HamBone wrote:
Shouldn’t and don’t are not the same thing...

Fair enough.

DreadNaught wrote:
Why?

What is the motivation for anyone to be mouthier and doucier during an interaction with LE? Even if the LE is being an ***hole and overstepping their legal and/or moral authority it's still a stupid decision to get into a pissing match. There is nothing to be gained by being an ***hole with LE even if they deserve it in that specific instance. It only escalates the situation which results in a (more) negative outcome.

Maybe I was just taught different which is to be 1) Present ID upon request/obey commands 2) Short respectful answers 3) Keep my hands visible at all times

My goal with any interaction w/ LE is to make it as brief and cordial as possible. It makes no sense to engage with someone that make my life more difficult via fines, court dates, criminal charges, etc.

Take your medicine and move on with life, if you feel you've been wronged you're MUCH better off pursuing it after that interaction vice challenging the LEO during the interaction.

I actually had three police officers bang on my door around 4:30am this past Wednesday (there were some vehicles vandalized in my neighborhood).

One of them was a sawed off little prick, who is the prototypical chiche of a tiny man over compensating with a gun & badge.
But I provided an ID (not required in NC), was courteous & respectful even though he continued to try to intimidate me.

Later that night, I contacted his Captain and to my surprise, the Captain responded the next day.

Other than saying; "3 cops for a vandalism call? Slow night, Boys?"...it was all I could do not to be more of a smartass.
PetePierson

Postby RedLeader » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:02 am

Meh... Outsider just taking advantage of that ‘white privilege’. Lol.
RedLeader

Postby NYBF » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:06 pm

What in the actual ****?

Texas officer kills man in flat she mistakes for her own - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45450558
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Tragic. She should face the legal consequences.

Sounds more like a random issue of gun violence given she was off duty.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:34 am

DreadNaught wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Race plays a part in almost every interaction with the police. I've said it here before, I'm much mouthier and douchier to the cops than I would be if my skin were darker.

Why?

I politely ask why I've been stopped.
I politely ask if I'm being detained.

If the first question isn't answered directly (it's surprising how often they'll try to get you to acknowledge what they think you've done wrong on your own), I immediately ask the second question.

If the second question is anything but, "Yes," I inform the officer I am choosing to terminate the encounter, and I thank him for his time.

If I am being detained, I politely answer every question directly, offering no details. "Yes." "No." "Coming home from work." ETC. Then I ask, again, if I'm being detained.

It's amazing how many brief and ultimately fruitless (for them) police encounters have unfolded with this approach.
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 am

I caught this story on the news here

I’m betting there’s much more to the story then shecwent onto the wrong apt

———

Edit - just read an update, they are getting a warrant and are going to charge her with manslaughter
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:09 am

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I politely ask why I've been stopped.
I politely ask if I'm being detained.

If the first question isn't answered directly (it's surprising how often they'll try to get you to acknowledge what they think you've done wrong on your own), I immediately ask the second question.

If the second question is anything but, "Yes," I inform the officer I am choosing to terminate the encounter, and I thank him for his time.

If I am being detained, I politely answer every question directly, offering no details. "Yes." "No." "Coming home from work." ETC. Then I ask, again, if I'm being detained.

It's amazing how many brief and ultimately fruitless (for them) police encounters have unfolded with this approach.

This sorta reminds me of the last speeding ticket I received. This was about 12 years ago.

I was driving on a country back road to work one morning doing around 65 mph when I passed a state trooper obviously running radar. Yep... I got pulled over.

While waiting for the trooper to approach, I did all the things I knew I needed to do. I shut off my engine, rolled down my window and removed my sunglasses. I got my license, registration and proof of insurance out of my glove box, put both hands on the steering wheel and waited.

As she's approaching my drivers side door, of course her right hand moved to rest it on her holstered weapon. No biggie. That's just SOP for them. After she gets to my window, the very first words out of her mouth were...

Her: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: No.
Her: Do you know what the speed limit is?
Me: End of 45 MPH.
Her: {puzzled look on her face} What do you mean?
Me: The last speed sign on this road says, End of 45 MPH.
Her: {after a momentary pause} In the state of Virginia, if a speed limit isn't specified, the limit is 55 MPH.
Me: {silence}
Her: I clocked you at 66 MPH.
Me: {silence}
Her: I'm going to write you a summons. You have the right to pay a fine or argue the summons in the Campbell Country Traffic Court, etc., etc. Do you understand these options?
Me: Yes.
Her: {finishes writing summons and hands me my copy} Have a nice day.
Me: {Silence. Rolls up window before she turns to walk off. Waits for her to clear my rear bumper, starts car and drives away.}
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Buc2 wrote:I got my license, registration and proof of insurance out of my glove box

This is the part where, if you're a minority and you've got a scared cop, you end up dead because you were reaching for a weapon.
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:14 pm

AM I BEING DETAINED!?!?!?!?!?!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I caught this story on the news here

I’m betting there’s much more to the story then shecwent onto the wrong apt

———

Edit - just read an update, they are getting a warrant and are going to charge her with manslaughter

I know some officers on the force with her. Quietly they’re saying it’s murder. Her blood alcohol level was insane. You’re right that there is more to it and I’m hoping it all comes out.
PrimeMinister

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:59 pm

NYBF wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I got my license, registration and proof of insurance out of my glove box

This is the part where, if you're a minority and you've got a scared cop, you end up dead because you were reaching for a weapon.

Is this before or after the cop arrests random brown people for no reason?
Ken Carson

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:58 pm

NYBF wrote:

She wasn't even out of the car yet. And, as I said, I had both hands on the steering wheel as she approached.

P.S. And I look like a "brown" people.
Last edited by Buc2 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Is this before or after the cop arrests random brown people for no reason?

Don't you have a thread to go cry about Cuba in?
NYBF

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:38 pm

NYBF wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Is this before or after the cop arrests random brown people for no reason?

Don't you have a thread to go cry about Cuba in?

If you want to complain about police brutality, you should compare us to them. Great perspective.
Ken Carson

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion