Police Brutality in the US

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:54 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
I agree that painting with a broad brush often obscures the actual problem at hand.

The issue with policing is a systemic issue not a local problem. There are a lot of studies over the past 25 years that bear this out. I don’t know what would fix this, but I can identify the problem. We need the accusations of police misconduct to be investigated by an entity that the public trusts to be fair.

The problem is not that there are bad apples, but that these offenders often go unpunished. Every group, police included, has ***holes, racists and general crap human beings alongside great men and women. The difference is the ***hole/bigot who becomes a cop has the authority to take a life and something is broken in the way we choose whether or not to even investigate this person. Instead of focusing on how to keep bad apples out (I don’t think it’s possible) we need to prosecute them when they show themselves.

Think back to all those high profile cases of murder by cop, police brutality etc. If those officers were prosecuted and sentenced we wouldn’t see the mistrust and hatred we see for cops now. So it’s not just the officers the public mistrusts but the system that somehow protects the bad officers.

I’m typing on my phone so I apologize for auto corrections etc. I can never get all my thoughts together for longer posts while on my phone.

The cases where the officer is prosecuted often go unpublicized or barely receive attention. It happens, twice in the last year in SC (the Charleston case was big, but the State Trooper in Columbia received 0 press).

A lot of the cases are grouped in to this vile behavior are actually not punishable as mentioned in the immigration thread. Things like the Michael Brown case, the woman who was facebook tweeting while holding a gun and her baby, the Tusla shooting, off the top of my head aren't illegal shootings, they aren't evil individuals being protected in the system, but they are grouped together by this movement, which also is a detriment to real issues and injustice taking place. These things are protected by Graham v. Connor/Objective reasonableness and as long as we arm a force of people and put them in these situations, they will be protected in these situations. While the terrible injustices occur far too often than they should and likely more happens than we know of, it's still extremely rare and unfair to point at all Police.

Thank you for your reply. I disagree with some of your post and will post why later today when I get a moment.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:59 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
The cases where the officer is prosecuted often go unpublicized or barely receive attention. It happens, twice in the last year in SC (the Charleston case was big, but the State Trooper in Columbia received 0 press).

A lot of the cases are grouped in to this vile behavior are actually not punishable as mentioned in the immigration thread. Things like the Michael Brown case, the woman who was facebook tweeting while holding a gun and her baby, the Tusla shooting, off the top of my head aren't illegal shootings, they aren't evil individuals being protected in the system, but they are grouped together by this movement, which also is a detriment to real issues and injustice taking place. These things are protected by Graham v. Connor/Objective reasonableness and as long as we arm a force of people and put them in these situations, they will be protected in these situations. While the terrible injustices occur far too often than they should and likely more happens than we know of, it's still extremely rare and unfair to point at all Police.

Thank you for your reply. I disagree with some of your post and will post why later today when I get a moment.

I'm open to discuss this. I'm not just a blind police defender as there are multiple instances where I condemn and will even describe what actions should have been taken or how I feel is best to fix things, but I feel it is important to portray a fair perspective from an LEO stand point. Some don't care to hear about it and want to drop a one-liner or straw man argument, but then this just falls in the same place as public shootings and gun control. If there can't be an open discussion and compromises, nothing will ever be done.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:06 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I'm open to discuss this. I'm not just a blind police defender as there are multiple instances where I condemn and will even describe what actions should have been taken or how I feel is best to fix things, but I feel it is important to portray a fair perspective from an LEO stand point. Some don't care to hear about it and want to drop a one-liner or straw man argument, but then this just falls in the same place as public shootings and gun control. If there can't be an open discussion and compromises, nothing will ever be done.

Agreed on all points. We have to be able to discuss and even be okay saying “Hey we may not agree but I better understand and respect your position”.

I don’t think we all have to agree to come to workable solutions.
PrimeMinister

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion