Police Brutality in the US

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Police Brutality in the US

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 am

According to the underpants gnomes there are only 3 steps.

Though I'm sure I don't agree to the extent you do to what you pasted, I wouldn't argue against any of the links
Zarniwoop

Postby deltbucs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:46 am

beardmcdoug wrote:Step 1: Introduce drugs to society
Step 2: Concentrate drug arrests on minorities
-> Step 2 Results in fatherless homes, which assists Step 1 in creating more addicted mothers, resulting in catastrophic rise of broken homes
-> Results in a generation of rudderless individuals, who turn to gangs instead of being raised by their parents
Step 3: "Market" drug and drug violence culture in mass media. Promote the "virtues" of drug and gang violence culture
-> Results in higher gang recruitment and increased overall deviant and degenerate behavior in society
-> Results more arrests, more broken homes
-> Racism spreads from those on the "outside" of "drug and gang" "culture"
-> Results in divide within American society and turmoil
Step 4: Profit
-> Via privatized prisons
-> Via music industry
-> Via law enforcement/militarization
-> Via "news" media
-> Via tumultuous society focused on infighting opposed to true political issues, allowing broken pay-to-play political system to continue operating in background

Easy. And we're idiots for playing along

Yep....and the vast majority of the world's supply comes form of opium/heroin comes from Afghanistan. Since we've been there, production has more than doubled..
Big banks get caught laundering drug money and get a slap on the wrist.
deltbucs

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:54 pm

I was watching that DEA show on Spike TV a couple years ago and an agent on there was bragging about how they caused the price of heroin to triple in certain parts of NYC.

What seller of any product is going to complain about making 3 times more in profit, especially when the consumers of your product cannot stop using it and will just commit 3 times more crime to make up the difference? Wouldn’t a higher profit margin encourage more people to take the risk and get into the business?

Why would the DEA want to win the drug war when that would put the agency out of business? We all know, or should, that both the DEA and CIA have been implicated in smuggling narcotic into the nation. I know, this was done as part of undercover investigations,..whatever...
Brazen331

Postby Onthebrink » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 pm

The U.S. gets a lot of their opium from Tazmania. It is a fairly easy crop to grow.
Onthebrink

Postby Onthebrink » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:08 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:Something that nobody is talking about but has been a problem for many years. American citizens pets are being killed at an unthinkable rate. Look up the numbers. When a SWAT or DEA team raid a household the first thing they do is shoot the dog. No matter if it is Marijuana pariphanalea or eating someone's face drugs. They can do better. Canadian police officers have found using fire extinguishers as a good tool.

#DogLivesMatter

#DogLivesMatter Over a hundred dogs were killed by police in Buffalo alone in the last Five years.
Onthebrink

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:52 pm

This was the case where a LEO shot an unarmed person in the back as they were fleeing and tried to claim self-defense prior to the cell phone video of bystander surfaced.

Former South Carolina police officer Michael Slager was sentenced today to 20 years in prison for the deadly shooting of unarmed black man Walter Scott.

U.S. District Judge David Norton ruled that Slager committed second-degree murder and obstruction of justice, when he shot and killed 50-year-old Scott in 2015. The second-degree murder ruling came with a recommended 19 to 24 year sentence.

Good to see justice served.

Last edited by DreadNaught on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Agreed.
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:28 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/12/08/graphic-video-shows-daniel-shaver-sobbing-and-begging-officer-for-his-life-before-2016-shooting/?utm_term=.8f994eccc1a0

****ing BULLSHIT

god DAMN this video pisses me off. guy never stood a chance at getting out of there alive

After the officer involved was acquitted of second-degree murder charges, officials in Arizona released graphic video showing Daniel Shaver crawling on his hands and knees and begging for his life in the moments before he was shot and killed by police in January 2016.

Video of the whole thing at the top of the page. prepare to get ****ing mad.
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Saw that during lunch today. Tough to watch. This guy needs to be held accountable. :fire:
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Awful. Just awful
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/12/08/graphic-video-shows-daniel-shaver-sobbing-and-begging-officer-for-his-life-before-2016-shooting/?utm_term=.8f994eccc1a0

****ing BULLSHIT

god DAMN this video pisses me off. guy never stood a chance at getting out of there alive

After the officer involved was acquitted of second-degree murder charges, officials in Arizona released graphic video showing Daniel Shaver crawling on his hands and knees and begging for his life in the moments before he was shot and killed by police in January 2016.

Video of the whole thing at the top of the page. prepare to get ****ing mad.

How was he acquitted?!
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:58 am

That wasn't a shooting, that was an execution.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:That wasn't a shooting, that was an execution.

Yet he will get away with it just because his job is stressful.
PrimeMinister

Postby deltbucs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:47 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:That wasn't a shooting, that was an execution.

Yet he will get away with it just because his job is stressful.

Yep
deltbucs

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:25 am

He was acquitted of 2nd degree murder.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:58 am

Sad. Seems like the police overreacted based on the articles I've read, but I wasn't there, so I really can't say.

Serial prankster arrested in 'swatting' trick that led to fatal police shooting of unarmed Kansas man

BY
JESSICA SCHLADEBECK
THOMAS LAFORGIA
CHRIS SOMMERFELDT
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Saturday, December 30, 2017, 9:55 AM

An alleged serial "prankster" from California has been arrested over a fake 911 call that resulted in police fatally shooting an unarmed Kansas man earlier this week, officials said.

Tyler Barriss — a 25-year-old gamer suspected of making the false police report that led to the death of Wichita resident Andrew Finch — was cuffed by Los Angeles cops late Friday. The catastrophic prank Barriss carried out, known as "swatting," has gained traction in online gaming communities and typically involves a person making up a story about an ongoing violent crime to trigger a massive police response.

Finch was gunned down on Thursday night after cops believe Barriss told a 911 dispatcher that he had shot his father and was holding his mother and younger brother hostage.

"I shot him in the head and he's not breathing anymore," Barriss said, according to a recording of the call released by the Wichita Police Department.

Barriss then added, "I might just pour gasoline all over the house, I might just set it on fire."

Barriss gave cops Finch's address, mistakenly believing it belonged to a person he had feuded with over a $1 or $2 Call of Duty wager.

"Due to the actions of a prankster we have an innocent victim," Wichita deputy police chief Troy Livingston said during a press conference Friday night.

Barriss' unnerving 911 call set cops rushing to Finch's house, expecting an ongoing hostage situation. Instead, an unarmed and unsuspecting Finch came to the front door.

Officers screamed at Finch to put his hands in the air, but Livingston said the 28-year-old father of two young boys moved a hand toward his waistband. An officer, fearing Finch was reaching for a gun, fired a single shot. Finch died minutes later.

A series of since-deleted Twitter posts screen-grabbed by the Wichita Eagle suggest that the targeted Call of Duty gamer gave Barriss a fake address that — seemingly by complete happenstance — turned out to be Finch's.

“Someone tried to swat me and got an innocent man killed,” read a tweet from the would-be victim.

Barriss later denied that his fake police report was to blame for Finch's death.

"I DIDNT GET ANYONE KILLED BECAUSE I DIDNT DISCHARGE A WEAPON AND BEING A SWAT MEMBER ISNT MY PROFESSION," he posted.

This isn't the first time Barriss has landed in trouble over fake 911 calls. In 2015, he was slammed with federal charges after getting arrested for falsely claiming to have planted bombs at the offices of an ABC affiliate in Los Angeles.

The potentially devastating prank method has in recent years gained particular popularity among players of first-person shooter games such as Call of Duty and the FBI estimates that some 400 cases occur annually. But Thursday's tragic hoax might be the first time anyone has been killed as a consequence.

Finch's devastated mother, Lisa Finch, told reporters that her son wasn't a gamer and didn't own any guns. She also expressed anger at the police.

"What gives cops the right to open fire?" she asked. "That cop murdered my son over a false report in the first place."

The officer who fired the fatal shot is a seven-year veteran with the Wichita department. He has been placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:20 pm

I hate reading that. The officer who fired and the ***hole who pulled the prank both need to be punished.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I hate reading that. The officer who fired and the ***hole who pulled the prank both need to be punished.

^

——

As an aside:

Read an article on Reason the other day that said on duty police deaths are at a 50 year low.
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Has anyone been following the Baltimore case? Cops routinely causing life threatening accidents, robbing citizens during traffic stops, breaking into the homes of citizens and robbing them there and even carrying toy guns to plant in case the shot an unarmed citizen. An elite task force was responsible for all of this. And one cop turned informant has been killed with his own weapon.

According to the Baltimore Sun, it started when a 19-year-old woman from New Jersey overdosed in 2011 and authorities began tracing the origin of the drugs. It led them to a Baltimore drug crew and the discovery that a Baltimore police officer was involved. By the time they finished investigating, eight members of the elite Gun Trace Task Force had been charged with crimes ranging from racketeering to robbery.

You want robbery? How about the story of the corrupt squad stopping a drug dealer during a traffic stop and robbing him of $6,500, then going to the man’s home without a warrant and taking another $100,000 out of a safe? Sgt. Wayne Jenkins would ask suspected drug dealers, “If you could put together a crew of guys and rob the biggest drug dealer in town, who would it be?”

If you’re interested in police targeting regular citizens, maybe you should read about how the Maurice Ward had a technique of driving fast at groups of people, slamming on the brakes and chasing whoever ran. Perhaps you hear how Jenkins believed that all young men with backpacks were dope boys. Or people who drove Honda Accords with tinted windows.

And then there’s the revelation that the supervisor of the unit instructed officers to carry a toy gun just in case they found themselves “in a jam” and needed to plant one. When one of the officers, Marcus Tayor, was arrested, officials couldn’t figure out why he had a toy gun in his glove compartment.

These revelations aren’t speculation. Six of the eight indicted officers have agreed to cooperate with federal law enforcement agents and are testifying in open court. An officer who was scheduled to offer evidence against the crooked cops won’t get to do so after he was mysteriously shot in the head with his own weapon the day before he was set to testify.

https://www.theroot.com/baltimore-cops- ... socialflow
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 pm

The FBI have reopened the case of the murdered Baltimore task force member. Now that the task force has been shown to be nothing but organized crime their evidence is being called into question. The officer was set to testify against the task force the day before he was murdered.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:19 pm

(that goes against the whole "they deserved it, they should have listened," so don't expect much play on it)
NYBF

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 pm

NYBF wrote:(that goes against the whole "they deserved it, they should have listened," so don't expect much play on it)

This goes against the “not systemic issue, but just a few bad apples” position.

Our justice system rests on trusting the members of it. If we cannot trust what the police say what are we supposed to do? I think this question is what causes people to push back against the possibility of systemic criminal justice issues.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
NYBF wrote:(that goes against the whole "they deserved it, they should have listened," so don't expect much play on it)

Our justice system rests on trusting the members of it. If we cannot trust what the police say what are we supposed to do? I think this question is what causes people to push back against the possibility of systemic criminal justice issues.

It appears they were bad apples. This is both...

There is systemic issues that stem from allowing people like that there. The worst part is that in the worst areas, like Baltimore and Chicago, you'll find the worst Police as they have to lowest standards for applications and waive conditions that should disqualify officers. I've even heard about them shortening the academy time for "OJT" to get officers in the streets to reduce the ridiculous overtime they have to payout. It's fucked up. Hopefully this does get the headlines it deserves.

Honestly, the case in the hotel where the LEO basically executed the guy after giving nearly impossible commands infuriates me that it didn't receive the press it should have. I didn't even see it until it was on this board.
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:29 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Has anyone been following the Baltimore case? Cops routinely causing life threatening accidents, robbing citizens during traffic stops, breaking into the homes of citizens and robbing them there and even carrying toy guns to plant in case the shot an unarmed citizen. An elite task force was responsible for all of this. And one cop turned informant has been killed with his own weapon.

According to the Baltimore Sun, it started when a 19-year-old woman from New Jersey overdosed in 2011 and authorities began tracing the origin of the drugs. It led them to a Baltimore drug crew and the discovery that a Baltimore police officer was involved. By the time they finished investigating, eight members of the elite Gun Trace Task Force had been charged with crimes ranging from racketeering to robbery.

You want robbery? How about the story of the corrupt squad stopping a drug dealer during a traffic stop and robbing him of $6,500, then going to the man’s home without a warrant and taking another $100,000 out of a safe? Sgt. Wayne Jenkins would ask suspected drug dealers, “If you could put together a crew of guys and rob the biggest drug dealer in town, who would it be?”

If you’re interested in police targeting regular citizens, maybe you should read about how the Maurice Ward had a technique of driving fast at groups of people, slamming on the brakes and chasing whoever ran. Perhaps you hear how Jenkins believed that all young men with backpacks were dope boys. Or people who drove Honda Accords with tinted windows.

And then there’s the revelation that the supervisor of the unit instructed officers to carry a toy gun just in case they found themselves “in a jam” and needed to plant one. When one of the officers, Marcus Tayor, was arrested, officials couldn’t figure out why he had a toy gun in his glove compartment.

These revelations aren’t speculation. Six of the eight indicted officers have agreed to cooperate with federal law enforcement agents and are testifying in open court. An officer who was scheduled to offer evidence against the crooked cops won’t get to do so after he was mysteriously shot in the head with his own weapon the day before he was set to testify.

to the motherfucking gas chamber with those traitorous fucks. the god damn republic is crumbling.
beardmcdoug

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:16 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

There is systemic issues that stem from allowing people like that there. The worst part is that in the worst areas, like Baltimore and Chicago, you'll find the worst Police as they have to lowest standards for applications and waive conditions that should disqualify officers. I've even heard about them shortening the academy time for "OJT" to get officers in the streets to reduce the ridiculous overtime they have to payout. It's fucked up. Hopefully this does get the headlines it deserves.

Honestly, the case in the hotel where the LEO basically executed the guy after giving nearly impossible commands infuriates me that it didn't receive the press it should have. I didn't even see it until it was on this board.

I think it’s a bad tree that makes these apples.

That case where the guy was made to crawl before being executed was heartbreaking and disgusting. That ***hole who called himself an officer needs the death penalty.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:17 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Has anyone been following the Baltimore case? Cops routinely causing life threatening accidents, robbing citizens during traffic stops, breaking into the homes of citizens and robbing them there and even carrying toy guns to plant in case the shot an unarmed citizen. An elite task force was responsible for all of this. And one cop turned informant has been killed with his own weapon.

to the motherfucking gas chamber with those traitorous fucks. the god damn republic is crumbling.

Dilly dilly
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Bad tree as in our Police system is corrupt as a whole? If you believe that, what's the solution, make a national Police force like Hillary suggested? Explain how that would make things better. I think it would likely make things worse.

The root article that you posted was super bias and I think adds to the issue. To say all cops are bad is just like republicans saying all the poor are cheating the system or racists saying all blacks are criminals. These are things that logical people see as unnecessary and ignorant generalizations, but because the Police issue taps into their emotions, they are more willing to paint with this broader brush. This is detrimental to resolving the issue.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am

beardmcdoug wrote:

Have you ever researched U.S. police tactics from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries? That Baltimore **** is mild. The Republic is hardly crumbling due to police brutality. But, yeah...there's no place for that crap in our society today and it certainly needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:32 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Bad tree as in our Police system is corrupt as a whole? If you believe that, what's the solution, make a national Police force like Hillary suggested? Explain how that would make things better. I think it would likely make things worse.

The root article that you posted was super bias and I think adds to the issue. To say all cops are bad is just like republicans saying all the poor are cheating the system or racists saying all blacks are criminals. These are things that logical people see as unnecessary and ignorant generalizations, but because the Police issue taps into their emotions, they are more willing to paint with this broader brush. This is detrimental to resolving the issue.

I agree that painting with a broad brush often obscures the actual problem at hand.

The issue with policing is a systemic issue not a local problem. There are a lot of studies over the past 25 years that bear this out. I don’t know what would fix this, but I can identify the problem. We need the accusations of police misconduct to be investigated by an entity that the public trusts to be fair.

The problem is not that there are bad apples, but that these offenders often go unpunished. Every group, police included, has ***holes, racists and general crap human beings alongside great men and women. The difference is the ***hole/bigot who becomes a cop has the authority to take a life and something is broken in the way we choose whether or not to even investigate this person. Instead of focusing on how to keep bad apples out (I don’t think it’s possible) we need to prosecute them when they show themselves.

Think back to all those high profile cases of murder by cop, police brutality etc. If those officers were prosecuted and sentenced we wouldn’t see the mistrust and hatred we see for cops now. So it’s not just the officers the public mistrusts but the system that somehow protects the bad officers.

I’m typing on my phone so I apologize for auto corrections etc. I can never get all my thoughts together for longer posts while on my phone.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:43 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I agree that painting with a broad brush often obscures the actual problem at hand.

The issue with policing is a systemic issue not a local problem. There are a lot of studies over the past 25 years that bear this out. I don’t know what would fix this, but I can identify the problem. We need the accusations of police misconduct to be investigated by an entity that the public trusts to be fair.

The problem is not that there are bad apples, but that these offenders often go unpunished. Every group, police included, has ***holes, racists and general crap human beings alongside great men and women. The difference is the ***hole/bigot who becomes a cop has the authority to take a life and something is broken in the way we choose whether or not to even investigate this person. Instead of focusing on how to keep bad apples out (I don’t think it’s possible) we need to prosecute them when they show themselves.

Think back to all those high profile cases of murder by cop, police brutality etc. If those officers were prosecuted and sentenced we wouldn’t see the mistrust and hatred we see for cops now. So it’s not just the officers the public mistrusts but the system that somehow protects the bad officers.

I’m typing on my phone so I apologize for auto corrections etc. I can never get all my thoughts together for longer posts while on my phone.

The cases where the officer is prosecuted often go unpublicized or barely receive attention. It happens, twice in the last year in SC (the Charleston case was big, but the State Trooper in Columbia received 0 press).

A lot of the cases are grouped in to this vile behavior are actually not punishable as mentioned in the immigration thread. Things like the Michael Brown case, the woman who was facebook tweeting while holding a gun and her baby, the Tusla shooting, off the top of my head aren't illegal shootings, they aren't evil individuals being protected in the system, but they are grouped together by this movement, which also is a detriment to real issues and injustice taking place. These things are protected by Graham v. Connor/Objective reasonableness and as long as we arm a force of people and put them in these situations, they will be protected in these situations. While the terrible injustices occur far too often than they should and likely more happens than we know of, it's still extremely rare and unfair to point at all Police.
uscbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion