BONUS EDITION - Can we agree? Episode 7b

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Was this an appropriate use of eminent domain?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes : 11

BONUS EDITION - Can we agree? Episode 7b

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm

So Foxconn "needs" some farmland in Wisconsin to build their new manufacturing plant. There are a few dozen houses throughout that area -- some that were just built as recently as 2010.

At the urging of President Trump and Paul Ryan, the local community board has decided to declare the houses they couldn't buy to be "blighted" so they can be seized under eminent domain. Now you might be thinking....OK blighted means the houses are run down and a danger to the community. That isn't the case at all. Looking at the pictures of the houses they are all normal, decent houses (and as I said, some are only 10 years old). So what does blighted mean in this instance? Well, a loophole in the community law allows the community board to call residences "blighted" if they think the zoning in that area is "outdated". And that is exactly what is happening here. Since much of the farmland has already been purchased to be used for manufacturing it has been re-zoned to manufacturing. Now the community board is arguing that the couple dozen houses that are left interspersed within that newly created zone are "outdated" because their residential zoning doesn't fit with the rest of the attached land. The homeowners who haven't been pressured into selling have filed a federal lawsuit.

Lots of links available to this....here is one:

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/0 ... -land.html

Do you think this was an appropriate use of eminent domain?

PS - if you are voting on this please don't be wearing any housing, business or agriculture related t-shirts or buttons.
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarniwoop

Re: BONUS EDITION - Can we agree? Episode 7b

Postby The Outsider » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 pm

That's complete bullshit and I hope those homeowners kick the **** out of that city council in federal court.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 pm

The Outsider wrote:That's complete bullshit and I hope those homeowners kick the **** out of that city council in federal court.

I can't stand eminent domain even when it's "justified" for public use (I might support 1 out of 100 cases of it)....I can't recall every supporting a single instance of it for private use.

The land grab around what became the new Dallas Cowboys stadium was complete bullshit.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Yep. Complete bullshit. If you want their property that bad, then make a monetary offer high enough that they most likely won't refuse. Otherwise, stfu and make do with the property you already bought (stole).
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Buc2 wrote:Yep. Complete bullshit. If you want their property that bad, then make a monetary offer high enough that they most likely won't refuse. Otherwise, stfu and make do with the property you already bought (stole).

Exactly. If a home is worth $250K and you really need it so badly for something that will generate billions of dollars per year, then offer $2.5M for it. I can't imagine many people saying no to that.

The idea that politicians use that there is a "fair market value" of something that isn't for sale is utterly preposterous
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm

I agree with Zarni in that I default to being opposed to eminent domain in most every situation.

But in the situations like expanding a highway to alleviate traffic and there is not a better viable solution the property owners should be overly compensated and their inconveniences be mitigated as much as possible.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Some infrastructure plans I can support a general use of eminent domain with certain conditions and payments but even that justification is far too often flimsy and is a result of pet projects for city council members
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm

That Foxconn deal has been an enormous clusterfuck from the first second. This is hardly surprising.
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm

I couldn't support it unless it's something like a couple people holding up a project, say like the skyway bridge, that would benefit an enitire poulation.

more often it's a trailer park on waterfront property a developer wants..
Stuart

Postby Cheb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 pm

I absolutely agree that this use of emminent domain is total bullshit.

This is just another step in America's long journey from idealistic republic to plutocratic corporatocracy.
Cheb

Postby HamBone » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:08 am

Cheb wrote:I absolutely agree that this use of emminent domain is total bullshit.
HamBone

Return to Politics and Religion