2018 Virginia Primaries tomorrow

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
2018 Virginia Primaries tomorrow

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 am

Even though Virginia is an open primary state, I'm only going to speak on the Republican Senate Primary since no Dems are challenging Tim Kaine for his seat.

3 US Senate candidates are on the ballot... Nick Freitas (most libertarian), E.W. Jackson (said Dems are the "anti-God party") and Corey Stewart (front runner). From all I've read of the 3, my vote will go to Freitas. Not that it matters. The NoVa and Hampton Roads areas have seen to it that this state is sewn up in favor of Dems regardless of who is running. 'Pubs haven't won a statewide election here since 2009. So you can go ahead and write in Kaine as the winner.

Some highlights of the 3 Repub candidates...

Nick Freitas:
A libertarian-minded state delegate endorsed by U.S. Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), Nick Freitas was described by conservative radio host John Fredericks as a dark horse in the race. Although he supports President Donald Trump and his agenda, he has focused his campaign on scaling back the reach of the federal government.

Has emphasized his support for libertarian policies like decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level, changing civil asset forfeiture laws, allowing tech companies like Facebook to avoid government regulation, and requiring congressional authorization for foreign military intervention. He also supports the construction of a border wall and ending Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

E.W. Jackson:
A minister who ran for statewide office in 2012 and 2013, Earl W. "E.W." Jackson is running for Senate with the slogan, "Believe Again." When launching his campaign, Jackson said, “This is not going to be your typical campaign, and I am not going to be your typical candidate,” and that he would work to change the status quo in Washington. He was endorsed by Pastor Rafael Cruz, the father of U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).

Jackson supports President Trump and his agenda. He has emphasized his support for building a border wall and loosening restrictions on firearms. He has also spoken about issues of race, saying that Democrats use it as a political weapon. He said he would not support efforts to alter or remove Confederate monuments.

Corey Stewart:
Fresh off his near-win in the 2017 Republican gubernatorial primary, Corey Stewart is again running for statewide office in Virginia. Above all else, his Senate bid is based on his support for President Donald Trump. "I've always said that I was Trump before Trump was Trump," he said at his campaign announcement in July 2017. Stewart also touted his campaigning style, saying he would run the "most vicious, ruthless campaign to dethrone Tim Kaine."

Stewart plans on continuing to support Trump in the Senate, saying he would fight for his agenda, particularly ending political correctness, protecting Virginia's Confederate monuments, and strengthening restrictions on unauthorized immigration. Stewart criticized Senate Republicans, saying they were ineffective and that he would focus on disrupting the status quo. He has also advocated for regulating tech companies like Facebook, saying the social media company should be broken up by anti-trust regulators.

My Congressional district is also up for grabs in 2018 since Bob Goodlatte announced he is retiring. As a result, there were a gaggle of Repub candidates as well as 4 Dems and 2 indies vying for his seat in this primary. Unfortunately, the 6th District Republican Committee voted to hold a convention rather than a primary to select their nominee... so no vote from us peons. The Committee elected to use a majority vote method and voted for Ben Cline. I'll worry about evaluating him as we get closer to the General this November.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: 2018 Virginia Primaries tomorrow

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:46 pm

How are they polling?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:How are they polling?

Stewart +9 in the 'Pub primary.
Kaine wipes the floor with them all in the General (range from +11 to +24).
Only hope for 'Pubs is if Dems stay home.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 am

As expected, Corey Stewart won the privilege to be trounced by Kaine in November. I was really disappointed, but I did my part, which is all any of us can do.

The +9 margin was waaaaaay off though.

Results:
Corey Stewart - 136,544 - 44.9%
Nick Freitas - 131,267 - 43.1%
E.W. Jackson - 36,624 - 12.0%
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:55 am

How is a stiff like Tim Kaine so popular in Virginia?
Brazen331

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 am

Brazen331 wrote:How is a stiff like Tim Kaine so popular in Virginia?

NoVa/Hampton Roads/Richmond (all flaming liberal areas like Cali) and their populations have exploded.

Funny enough...I like Warner okay. He's no Jim Webb democrat, but much closer to the center than Kaine.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Return to Politics and Religion